Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time

7 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

44.11 - Mike Ehrmantraut - 1991-2020 supporting man

I triple checked the spreadsheet as I couldn't believe he's still there - please tell me he is because I love him.

Mike is a great character.

9 hours ago, jwb said:

Mike is a great character.

I thought about him back when I picked in the category. Went with my selection bc I though Barney was basically the fonz of the decade. But mike was the pick. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

if you need him and Tim is ok with it, I will let you have him (he's the "higher" pick anyway) and I will stick with the other one who I like better.

@timschochet - are you cool with that?  If so, I'll re-pick my 41st rounder.

If it's allowed, he available to all.  If he's there when I pick that category, I'll take him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

45.14: Claire Fraser, 1991-2020 Leading Woman, Drama

In the series, Claire is a married World War II nurse visiting Scotland who finds herself transported from 1945 back to 1743. There she finds adventure, war and romance .. Smart, stubborn and willful, Claire uses her wits, practical medical skills and knowledge of the future to survive in the 18th century.

Claire is portrayed by Irish actress Caitriona Balfe ... Balfe won a Saturn Award for Best Actress on Television in 2015 and 2016, and a People's Choice Award for Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actress in 2016. She also received nominations for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Television Series Drama in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Edited by Doug B
  • Like 1

This show proves how deep the 91-20 time periods are, particularly the drama category.  Yo Mama selects:

45.16 – Law & Order – 91-20 Drama

This show has been around for almost this entire time period – amazingly airing for 20 seasons, with multiple popular spin-offs.  Even with a rotating cast of characters throughout its tenure, it established the formula of “ripped from the headlines” crime, a police portion showing the investigation of the crime, and the trial portion showing the ultimate legal proceedings.

This show won six emmys (once for best drama) and was nominated for an incredible 31 more emmys (10 more for best drama).

This was actually a show my daughter has streamed a lot of during the pandemic this year – I constantly hear the iconic “dun-dun” sound coming from her devices.

• Like 3

Here’s another classic character that I had high on my list that I’m happy to take now.  Yo Mama selects:

46.01 – The One-Armed Man – Villain

A menacing, mysterious, shadowy villain from The Fugitive who was the true killer of the wife of Dr. Richard Kimble.

He was such a classic villain, TV Guide named him #5 in their Nastiest Villains of All Time list.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

Here’s another classic character that I had high on my list that I’m happy to take now.  Yo Mama selects:

46.01 – The One-Armed Man – Villain

A menacing, mysterious, shadowy villain from The Fugitive who was the true killer of the wife of Dr. Richard Kimble.

He was such a classic villain, TV Guide named him #5 in their Nastiest Villains of All Time list.

great pick... yo mama is killing this draft

Edited by tuffnutt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I have officially hit a wall since I only have characters left, so feel free to skip me.  Not sure who to @ with all the skips though.  

I'm here ... I'll skip you and make my 46th round pick in a few. Then the draft can proceed in order from there (though unclocked).

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I have officially hit a wall since I only have characters left, so feel free to skip me.  Not sure who to @ with all the skips though.  

That’s why I took most of my characters fairly early, less standouts on my lists (aside from a few deep ones) than for the shows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

You know what? All my remaining categories have enough remaining selections that I like -- I can be skipped here at 46.03. @rickroll can go.

Guess I'll go, then:

"The Visitors are Our Friends"

46.03: V (NBC, 1983), Miniseries

In November 2005, Entertainment Weekly named one of the 10 best miniseries on DVD. The article noted, "As a parable about it-can-happen-here fascism, V was far from subtle, but it carved a place for lavish and intelligent sci-fi on TV. Its impact can still be felt in [contemporary science-fiction projects] ..." In December 2008, Entertainment Weekly put V on its list "The Sci-Fi 25: The Genre's Best Since 1982", and called Visitor leader Diana's devouring a guinea pig "one of the best TV reveals ever."

Inspired by Sinclair Lewis' antifascist novel It Can't Happen Here (1935), director-producer Kenneth Johnson wrote an adaptation titled Storm Warnings in 1982. The script was presented to NBC for production as a television miniseries, but the NBC executives rejected the initial version, claiming it was too "cerebral" for the average American viewer. To make the script more marketable, the American fascists were recast as man-eating extraterrestrials in order to capitalize on the popularity of franchises such as Star Wars.

In the original series the title refers to the "V for Victory" sign. In the 1983 V miniseries, a group of children are shown spray painting generic graffiti over the Visitors' propaganda posters, but are then shown how to spray the V over the posters by Abraham Bernstein, a Holocaust survivor, who explains the meaning of the sign to them as he defaces the first poster.

Edited by Doug B
formatting
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, rickroll said:
6 minutes ago, Doug B said:

46.03: V (NBC, 1983), Miniseries

nice

Remember how this got replayed a few times on NBC throughout the 1980s during prime time (usually in the summer)? My memory is that a miniseries getting rerun that way on the original network was kind of a rare thing.

• timschochet changed the title to The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time