What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (1 Viewer)

leftovers (part 1):

1950-1970 leading man drama - Robin Hood. The Adventures of Robin Hood was my favorite show growing up and one of the nascent broadcast oldies networks showed it a coupla years ago and it holds up. Only a half hour long, it had time for real drama, comedy & action and Richard Greene  played it with a perfect mix of mischief and heroism. check it out

1950-1970 leading woman drama - Anna BezaThe Price of Tomatoes. What can't i say about Inger Stevens?! As beautiful, if not moreso, than Grace Kelly, deep as Streep, as troubled as talented, who they wouldnt put onscreen as much as she deserved cuz she liked black guys. Killed herself @ age 36.  :heart:
You ought to offer these up to @Hov34 to finish out his roster.

@mphtrilogy / @rick6668 / Yo Mama Conference

MPH - You owe me 71-90 Supporting Woman rankings

Rick - you owe me 71-90 Supporting Man and Woman, and owe MPH Theme Song (unless you already sent them to him)

MPH - are you going to consolidate 91-20 Drama?  @Zow was interested in this category, so maybe he can send his rankings to you to join our consortium. 

Rick - do you want our Holiday rankings, or are you doing those yourself?

No rush on these, just calling out who to send what to (via DM). 
91-20, yes I will put that together @zow please send me your ranks as well, and we will do this as a 25% each tab...

@rick6668 please send me your theme song ranks, and also for 91-20... 

last chance for anyone who wants to submit a Theme Song crowdsource vote, check it out on Spotify

Hey Tim, I can take the 91-20 Supporting Man and Woman if nobody else wants them. 

I will also welcome additional peoples rankings for these if anyone wants to send me theirs for consolidation (like we did with some of the others). 
I'll send you the ranks for these as well..

and will send you the 71-90 supporting woman in the next couple of days....

1950-1970 comedy - The Ernie Kovacs Show. Well, y'all started off with the first category proving not to know anything about TV. This is the equivalent of your daughter bringing home a fella who is so all over the streaming shows that he fashions himself a TV expert then looks at you blankly when you refer to The Sopranos. Ernie Kovacs invented the visual logic of television comedy and was far more hilarious than Gleason besides. watch & learn
Kovacs is about as funny as a submarine with a screen door.  Ugh.

1950-1970 leading woman comedy - Julia Baker. Julia werent that funny, but Diahann Carroll's lead charcter was how a lot of America got used to black ladies. Sweet, sexy, serious & sassy.
I took Morticia.  We did consider Julia Baker.  She was lovely and funny.

leftovers, (part 2):

1971- 1990 comedy - Police Squad. Yeah, i know there only six eps and they only showed 3 cuz Belushi died or sumn. The Airplane concept should have been on TV all along.

1971-1990 drama - Wiseguy. Very underrated show. I'll put The incestuous Profit crime fam arc against any season of any streaming show. And it brought us Jonathan Banks in his first big role as Wiseguy's handler.

1971-1990 leading man comedy - Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute. If you want to get me to laugh a whole minute, all you have to do is say those four words. I'll laugh so long i might forget that this draft left no format by which to recognize the TV actors who created modern comedy.

1971-1990 leading man drama - Sherlock Holmes. The lizardly, ravenous mind has never been better portrayed than by Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes. For my $$, the greatest television characterization of all time

1971-1990 leading woman comedy  - Judy Miller. Wanna break my heart? Show me Gilda's best work as this closet queen (she broke a rib doing this sketch, btw). The child in us all. Then you can kill me off by showing me this, STILL my favorite SNL sketch of all time. The world remains significantly smaller without you, sweetie.

1971-1990 leading woman drama  - Rose Buck. Back to the Brits, for the creator and star of their first great TV drama Upstairs, Downstairs.

1971-1990 supporting man  - Norman Buntz. Denis Franz played the same character with three different names. First, Hill Street's corrupt detective Sal Benedetto, who came to an inglorious, season-finale demise. The production team, esp the character's creator - legendary junkie horseplayer David Milch - loved him so much that they resurrected him as good Det. Norm Buntz for the run of the show and his own awful runoff series, who Milch then brought over to Manhattan as Andy Sipowicz when he started NYPD blue

1971-1990 supporting woman - Church Lady. Isn't that special?!

1991-2020 comedy - Angie Tribeca. Yeah, i could take Veep, except for one thing. It wasnt funny. Twas between this and the hilariously uneven Broad City, but i decided to side with the first thoroughgoing attempt to bring the Airplane style to TV.

1991-2020 drama - Fargo. Wanted to use this to point out that the original UK version of House of Cards (UK), with the transplendent Ian Richardson was about 40 times better than the American version, but it only ran one season, little more than a mini-series. So I'm left with Noah Hawley's always brilliant, sometimes entertaining series, the last great appointment TV on cable?

1991-2020 leading man comedy - Stefon. I've never laughed harder @ television than watching Bill Hader break under John Mullaney's conception.

1991-2020 leading man drama - Verne Malvo. If Jeremy Brett's Holmes' wasnt TV's all-time best dramatic characterization, this is. Nobody ever had more fun doing a role and no one ever made psychopathy work on the small screen like Billy Bob Thornton

1991-2020 leading woman comedy - Sarah Palin. Best way i can think of to honor Tina Fey, the most important person in TV history. Did she strike gold here or what?!

1991-2020 leading woman drama - Betty Draper. I took a ration of #### years ago here for extolling January Jones as an actress, something which is apparently not in evidence outside my favorite TV drama of all time. lust, i guess. nufced

1991-2020 supporting man - Tracy Jordan. 30 Rock, which i used to watch an ep of before each sesh on Prime before NBC took it back, was on a marathon on some cable station over the holiday wkend just past. i've written standup & scripted comedy, so i hardly ever actually laugh at the funny. i had at leasdt three LOL on every ep i watched over Thxgiving

1991-2020 supporting woman - Joy Turner. Fughit Lucy, Kramden, Samantha, Belushi, Sam or Diane, Kramer, Ron Swanson, Ilana. The torturous ex-wife of Earl Hickey is my favorite comedy characterization of all time. more than lust this time. troof -

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest Leftover for me:

Westerns - Alias Smith and Jones

My all time favorite TV western and it's not even close.

jwb said:
Was Kolchak the Night Stalker picked? Only one season, but a pretty fun show. 
I loved this show when I was a kid. There were at least two TV movies featuring Kolchak in addition to the one season. There was a remake a number of years back which starred Garbrielle Union as Kolchak - it wasn't very good.

Let the judging begin! 
I will start the judging later today with leading women in comedy 1950-1970. I began by dividing them into two categories: 

1. Women who were the clear main character on their show. 
2. Women who were part of an ensemble cast, not the clear main character. 

Women in the first category are likely to be ranked higher than women in the second. 

I would be interested in judging Reality TV shows if it is still available. I've never been a judge but Ive seen episodes of all these shows.

Let the judging begin! 
I will start the judging later today with leading women in comedy 1950-1970. I began by dividing them into two categories: 

1. Women who were the clear main character on their show. 
2. Women who were part of an ensemble cast, not the clear main character. 

Women in the first category are likely to be ranked higher than women in the second. 
Unless I missed it ... there are only 15 picks in that category -- @Hov34 punted. Maybe the house can assign him someone? Seemed like he was through with drafting.

Hov34 said:
Doug B said:
Only person left to pick is @Hov34 -- he owes five picks.
I'll do them tonight.  If I don't get to it you can do whatever you want with my picks.
Subsequent to that post ... Hov34 submitted three good picks, an ineligible pick (Rod Serling) and a punted pick. The part in red makes me think just assigning him his last two picks (1950-1970 Leading Man Drama and 1950-1970 Leading Woman Drama) will be OK.

EDIT: Or maybe not OK going by that last post :D  

Zow said:
Doug B said:
@Zow, then all you have to do is replace the Mama pick with a pick for the "1971-1990 leading Man Drama" category -- that's all you owe.
Okay thanks. I'm exhausted but will do this first thing tomorrow. 
@Zow, I can drop one in for you if you want. I still have some good names left.

EDIT: NM, overlooked Robin Hood.

EDIT2: NM NM ... Robin Hood is wrong period for Zow (though Hov34 can use him :D  )

Subsequent to that post ... Hov34 submitted three good picks, an ineligible pick (Rod Serling) and a punted pick. The part in red makes me think just assigning him his last two picks (1950-1970 Leading Man Drama and 1950-1970 Leading Woman Drama) will be OK.

I’d say just give him 1 point for each of these categories. 

I’d say just give him 1 point for each of these categories. 
Yeah ... leaving it incomplete is tugging at me a bit. But what can ya do?

Dr. Octopus said:
Doug B said:
That's a murderer's row of a category to be sure. I think A Different World was a pretty strong show, though, and deserves a nod in this exercise.
I think there were far better options on board. I’m just joking mostly but I really think that show wasn’t very good and it was nice to be able to slot it easily (and I guess it helps no one will really get mad since that’s a nomad team now).
Was thinking on this a bit ... did you happen to catch it some during either the first or last season? The first season was kinda weak (Denise Huxtable really isn't a centerpiece character). After that season, Lisa Bonet left and Kadeem Hardison + Jasmine Guy were elevated to starring roles. Seasons 2-5, to me, were about as good as it got for contemporary situation comedy -- Dwayne Wayne and Whitley were written with depth, and Glenn Turman as Col. Taylor was a spectacular addition. Then Jasmine Guy left and the series again struggled to find it's center during its last season.

timschochet said:
No one has volunteered to judge any of the 1950-1970 categories. So I guess I will take all of those. I’ll start working on them. 

I will judge any and all categories left over but again I don’t think you guys want that, so let’s get some more volunteers please. 

Yo Mama said:
Hey Tim, I can take the 91-20 Supporting Man and Woman if nobody else wants them. 

I will also welcome additional peoples rankings for these if anyone wants to send me theirs for consolidation (like we did with some of the others). 

I would be interested in judging Reality TV shows if it is still available. I've never been a judge but Ive seen episodes of all these shows.
Done.

I'm going to take Villain and Action - I will ask if someone will volunteer to help place my picks.

Need somebody to step up and take some.  Note - I don't plan to do huge write-ups but I'll try.  No promises though.

Category

• 1971-1990 drama
  • 1971-1990 leading man drama
  • 1971-1990 leading woman drama
  • 1991-2020 leading man comedy
  • 1991-2020 leading man drama
  • 1991-2020 leading woman comedy
  • 1991-2020 leading woman drama
  • Children’s show
  • Animated Show
  • Variety or Live Show
  • TV Mom
  • TV Dad
  • Mini Series
  • Finale
  • Foreign Show
  • News Personality

I'm going to take Villain and Action - I will ask if someone will volunteer to help place my picks.

Need somebody to step up and take some.  Note - I don't plan to do huge write-ups but I'll try.  No promises though.

Category

• 1971-1990 drama
  • 1971-1990 leading man drama
  • 1971-1990 leading woman drama
  • 1991-2020 leading man comedy
  • 1991-2020 leading man drama
  • 1991-2020 leading woman comedy
  • 1991-2020 leading woman drama
  • Children’s show
  • Animated Show
  • Variety or Live Show
  • TV Mom
  • TV Dad
  • Mini Series
  • Finale
  • Foreign Show
  • News Personality
Ill help with your shows if you need someone. 

Leading Woman in Comedy 1950-1970

1 Pt- Margaret Anderson (from Father Knows Best)

2 Pts- Harriet Nelson (from Ozzie and Harriet)

These two ladies were very sweet, but they basically played the same role: that of the kind 50's suburban mom/housewife. You could have added June Cleaver into this grouping (though I would have been forced to rank her slightly higher since she spoke jive.) They were an iconic stereotype, and despite that there were some subtleties to each of their characters, but I can't rank them above anyone else on this list, all of whom had more of a presence on screen. Harriet get the nod over Margaret because she had (slightly) a stronger personality.

Since I wasn't planning to judge I hadn't really come up with criteria but here's some I'm thinking of using for my categories - feel free to stake your case for other criteria or your pick now

Action
how good was the show, actual action (fights, explosions, combat, chases, etc.), years on air, critical acclaim, memorable characters, legacy, aggregator lists (if I can find any)

Villain
how good was the show they were on (within reason), how much of a villain are they/how feared are they?, how integral were they to the show/story, memorable, legacy, aggregator lists

Users who are viewing this thread