What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (2 Viewers)

For me, the last season of the Sopranos was way worse than Season 8 of Game Of Thrones.

I mean it really sucked compared to the first couple of seasons. 
Eesh. It wasn't great by GoT had one good episode in the last two seasons. 

For me, the last season of the Sopranos was way worse than Season 8 of Game Of Thrones.

I think Season 2 and Season 1 are consensus top two

6A I enjoyed but I'm not as fond of the dream sequences as some; by 6B, all pretense of the midlife mob guy going through the same daily pressures of the daily grind at work and home went out the window. He was completely depraved and the ugliness came out in full force. 

Gun to my head, I would rank them: 2/1/3/4/6b/6a/5 . I think almost everyone has season 5 last, even though there are some terrific episodes. 

Twelve of my Favorite Episodes (chronological order):

• “College” (S1)
  • “I Dream of Jeannie Cusimano” (S1)
  • "Bustout" (S2)
  • “Funhouse” (S2)
  • “Pine Barrens” (S3)
  • “Employee of the Month” (S3)
  • “Whoever Did This” (S4)
  • “Whitecaps” (S4)
  • “Unidentified Black Males” (S5)
  • "Long Term Parking" (S5)
  • “Kennedy and Heidi” (S6)
  • “Soprano Home Movies” (S6)

Gangster/mob stuff isn't my bag, but hearing this often enough is a big reason I haven't tried to dip into this show.  Seems like many people are disappointed the last season or two.  

Gangster/mob stuff isn't my bag, but hearing this often enough is a big reason I haven't tried to dip into this show.  Seems like many people are disappointed the last season or two.  
I only watched it last year, and I enjoyed it all the way through.  You have to consider what it was doing at the time.  I think there’s been better since, but all things considered, it’s outstanding.  

and there’s boobs

Is Woz Mormon? No way one wife popped out 17 kids since law school.

if anyone else anticipates being a bottleneck feel free to DM me your mobile #.

Part of that was growing animosity at the time between Chase and the fan base. Consider when they rolled out the thirteen episode seasons:

• S1: Jan 10 - Apr 4 1999
  • S2: Jan 16 - Apr 9 2000
  • S3: Mar 4 - May 20 2001 (two month wait, NBD)
  • S4: Sep 15 - Dec 8 2002 (another 6 month wait)
  • S5: Mar 7 - Jun 6 2004 (and another 6 month wait)
  • S6A: Mar 12 - Jun 4 2006 (two years between seasons instead of 15-16 months) - 12 episodes
  • S6B:  Apr 8 - Jun 10 2007 (thirteen months between the split final seasons) - 9 episodes
Production timing was one factor, plot devices another.

Ralph is unmentioned and unseen S1 & S2 (two lines of dialogue explain he was in Miami), then he's a major earner in construction that dwarfs what everyone else is bringing in; eventually (reluctantly) made Capo. Then the "Class of 2004", four mobsters released from prison at the same time. That's neither new or unrealistic to RL, but two have short arcs, one is a great actor who gets killed off, and Frank Vincent becomes a major villain of the narrative in the last 2 (really 3) seasons. I don't have an issue with creative choices but by then people were really invested in the show and it caused a lot of controversy.

The Sopranos changed television forever. Before it came along there were a couple serialized dramas but most of the cable channels were known for movies and fights.With TS HBO brought big budgets, fantastic writers, a rotation of directors, all held together cohesively by the creator and showrunner. Stuff we take for granted now was unheard of then, and it was enormously popular because the quality is so high. It's a great character driven drama but it's more than one actor carrying it. Bottle episodes are commonplace now, "Pine Barrens" was a revelation when it came out - and it still holds up as one of the best out of the 86 episodes shown. The soundtrack was pitch perfect and featured mix of mainstream and obscure music. Dr Melfi, Carmela and Gloria Trillo were all incredible roles that women loved because the acting was so good. Watching Meadow and AJ grow up.

There are so many layers to the show. It's got more symbolism and subtle (& some not so subtle) cultural references than most feature films. But probably the most amazing thing is how well the dialogue holds up 21 years later. Hilariously ironic.

Taken as a whole, it's an incredible artistic achievement on so many levels.

Alright, because something dropped I don't get to hear about my planned pick being a terrible one, right @krista4;)  

1.15:  BREAKING BAD ( 1991 - 2020 DRAMA)   

2.01:   BAND OF BROTHERS  (MINISERIES) 

I will kick off the draft with a couple shows that I have rewatched a few times, which is a rare thing for me.   One of the things that put BB higher on my list for the draft was the multiplier for GOAT show and I think this is one that would do well in that department with the right judge.   Sure there were a couple weak plot lines like the airplane crash, but IMO very few shows kept up their level of greatness from start to finish like Breaking Bad did.  

Alright, because something dropped I don't get to hear about my planned pick being a terrible one, right @krista4;)  

I will kick off the draft with a couple shows that I have rewatched a few times, which is a rare thing for me.   One of the things that put BB higher on my list for the draft was the multiplier for GOAT show and I think this is one that would do well in that department with the right judge.   Sure there were a couple weak plot lines like the airplane crash, but IMO very few shows kept up their level of greatness from start to finish like Breaking Bad did.  
Great turn.

BB could have been 1.01, and nobody would have blinked. I think it's better than Sopranos or GoT or even The Wire (and I love all of those, especially The Wire). BB barely had a weak moment.

note: I thought the crash was awesome - my wife and I recently watched the series (her first time, my third), and when it happened, she was all "OMG!!". So it resonates.  

Helluva freaking turn.  Breaking Bad isn't my top choice (see, e.g., The Wire), but I'm flabbergasted it hadn't been taken at this point given the love it receives here and everywhere else.  Band of Brothers seems like a strong contender for #1, too.

Great turn.

BB could have been 1.01, and nobody would have blinked. I think it's better than Sopranos or GoT or even The Wire (and I love all of those, especially The Wire). BB barely had a weak moment.

note: I thought the crash was awesome - my wife and I recently watched the series (her first time, my third), and when it happened, she was all "OMG!!". So it resonates.  
Haven't seen Sopranos, but personally agree with the other two.  A lot has to do with the rewatch factor it has over the other two, and the weak points people usually have with it are small or an episode- not a full season sucked, it limped into the ending, etc..

I tend to try not to work in superlatives when it comes to pop culture, but Breaking Bad is the best series I've ever seen. I was riveted throughout and still have vivid memories of a lot of it all these years later. That being said, I have not seen some of the other shows that were taken in the first round. 

Re: Band of Brothers — the author of the original book, Stephen Ambrose, was good friends with my high school history teacher. Was cool to see one of his books make it big like that via the HBO series.

When this draft started I made a list of picks that were absolute must have in their categories. It’s already been pretty well raked over, but there’s about a dozen left. 

Users who are viewing this thread