What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (4 Viewers)

I might be able to give you some rankings for these, but it might not be until later next week so I can get through my other categories. 

71-90 tv is my wheelhouse. 
Me too, and I’m in no rush.  Let’s do it.   :hifive:

Others still welcome to supplement us, too.

Tier 3 - The Schticky Tier

5 POINTS - Charles Barkley

Television analyst

Since 2000, Barkley has served as a studio analyst for Turner Network Television (TNT). He appears on the network's NBA coverage during pre-game and halftime shows, in addition to special NBA events. He also occasionally works as an onsite game analyst. He is part of the crew on Inside the NBA, a post-game show during which Barkley, Ernie Johnson Jr., Kenny Smith and Shaquille O'Neal recap and comment on NBA games that have occurred during the day and also on general NBA affairs. Barkley has won three Sports Emmy Awards for "Outstanding Studio Analyst" for his work on TNT.

During the broadcast of a game, in which Barkley was courtside with Marv Albert, Barkley poked fun at NBA official **** Bavetta's age. Albert replied to Barkley, "I believe **** would beat you in a footrace." In response to that remark, Barkley went on to challenge Bavetta to a race at the 2007 NBA All-Star Weekend for $5,000. The winner was to choose a charity to which the money would be donated. The NBA agreed to pitch in an additional $50,000, and TNT threw in $25,000. The pair raced for three and a half lengths of the basketball court until Barkley ultimately won. After the event, the two kissed[75] in a show of good sportsmanship.

Barkley was also known for being the first ever celebrity guest picker for College GameDay, in 2004.

Additionally, since 2011, Barkley has served as a studio analyst for the joint coverage of the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament between Turner Sports and CBS. Barkley has broadcast every Final Four since 2011.

He also served as a guest commentator for NBC's coverage of the NFL Wild Card playoffs on January 7, 2012; the same night he hosted Saturday Night Live, which is taped next door to the Football Night in America studio in Manhattan's GE Building.

Barkley announced in November 2012 that he was contemplating retirement from broadcasting. "[N]ow I'm like, 'Dude, you have been doing this for 13 years and if I make it to the end of the contract, it will be 17 years.' Seventeen years is a long time. It's a lifetime in broadcasting. I personally have to figure out the next challenge for me", he said. After repeating that he planned to retire in 2016, he signed another contract with Turner Sports. He later said that he wants to retire when he is 60 in 2023.

I enjoy watching Charles. Like the other two in this tier, they have their own brand of authentic shtick and aren't afraid to give you there opinion. And will admit later if they're wrong.

I reffed in the Newport Beach Hoops Summer league a long ### time ago. One game, Scott Brooks was playing. He had been with Philly the year before and just signed his first big contract with the TWolves. He told me a story at half time about how Charles would always do anything for anybody at any time. He even let Brooks stay at his home for free that Philly year. He described several times where Charles would leave a crowded bar and just randomly pay all the tabs,  Cool guy. 

6 POINTS - Terry Bradshaw

Broadcasting career

Bradshaw retired from football on July 24, 1984, and quickly signed a television contract with CBS to become an NFL game analyst in 1984, where he and play-by-play announcer Verne Lundquist had the top rated programs. Prior to his full-time work for them, he served as a guest commentator for CBS Sports' NFC postseason broadcasts from 1980–82.

Bradshaw was promoted into television studio analyst for The NFL Today in 1990 (which he hosted with Greg Gumbel through the 1993 season). In 1994, with the Fox network establishing its sports division with their purchase of NFL TV rights, Bradshaw joined Fox NFL Sunday, where he normally acts as a comic foil to his co-hosts. On Fox NFL Sunday he hosts two semi-regular features, Ten Yards with TB, where he fires random questions at an NFL pro, and The Terry Awards, an annual comedic award show about the NFL season. As a cross-promotional stunt, he also hosted two consecutive Digi-Bowl specials in 2001 and 2002 on Fox Kids, providing commentary from the NFL on Fox studio in-between episodes of Digimon: Digital Monsters; the 2002 special was the final one as the Fox Kids block ended the same year. He appeared on the first broadcast of NASCAR on FOX where he took a ride with Dale Earnhardt at Daytona International Speedway the night before Earnhardt was killed in a last lap crash in the Daytona 500. Bradshaw also waved the green flag at the start of the ill-fated race.

Bradshaw has the reputation of being the "ol' redneck", but, in co-host and former NFL coach Jimmy Johnson's words, the act is a "schtick." According to Johnson, Bradshaw deflects such criticism by stating that "he's so dumb that he has to have somebody else fly his private plane."

Bradshaw has also garnered the reputation for criticizing players and teams. Following Super Bowl XLVI he was confronted by Ann Mara, wife of the late Wellington Mara, and "heckled" for not picking the Giants to win on Fox NFL Sunday

I like Terry. I think he does a much better job than people give him credit for.   He's just been doing it longer than Chuck and the NFL is more popular than the NBA.

7 POINTS - **** Vitale

College coach 73-77
* Pistons coach for 94 games 78-80
* "This is awesome, baby!" and "diaper dandy"
* He called ESPN's first college basketball game on December 5, 1979. 
* Vitale is signed with ESPN through the 2021–22 college basketball season.

I can't stand this guy. Again, all the shouting. His gimmick is just too phony and old for me. I insta-turn him off also, but I did give him a few years before doing so.  

The thing here is he's positive. He's had a huge impact on NCAA hoops and for NCAA hoops on TV.  So I give him credit for that and for being at the top of the "Shticky Guys."

TV Sports Personality - Judging

per·son·al·i·ty

the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.

a famous person, especially in entertainment or sports.

Okay, let's get the ball rolling.....

Tier One -  The Crud

1 POINT. - John McEnroe 
   Being only known for outbursts isn't a great personality trait.  He did get a tiny bit of mileage out of it though.

:lmao:   I take it from your comment that you aren’t a tennis fan and don’t actually watch him on TV.  He’s outstanding - enough to be given two shows (although both bombed) and he’s the best tennis guy out there save maybe his brother.  I don’t really care because I expected a low number for him but just wanted to point out it’s a disservice to him and his TV career because he’s really good.

If I were to pick someone in tennis, it would have been Bud Collins.  He didn't lack for personality and sartorial skills.
I think I missed the point on this category but Bud would have been a good pick.

ETA - I think he doesn’t get much press because tennis just isn’t high profile 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone up for doing some combined rankings with me on these?  This was the only period of time when I was regularly watching TV, but I watched a lot then and have probably seen all this ####.  Would love to have another judge to balance it all out, though.

ETA:  That assumes no one has taken these, which I didn't bother to check.
I can give you some to mix in Krista.. will send them to you next week...

:lmao:   I take it from your comment that you aren’t a tennis fan and don’t actually watch him on TV.  He’s outstanding - enough to be given two shows (although both bombed) and he’s the best tennis guy out there save maybe his brother.  I don’t really care because I expected a low number for him but just wanted to point out it’s a disservice to him and his TV career because he’s really good.
Also appears as the voice on the Netflix show being the unlikely narrator for Netflix's 'Never Have I Ever' John McEnroe and Maitreyi Ramakrishnan (playing Devi Vishwakumar) in a scene from Netflix's "Never Have I Ever." McEnroe narrates the scripted coming-of-age series.

He's also so good that no Network can pin him down to an exclusive contract, he works where the Biggest Tourneys are on.. the best TV tennis analyst bar none, but the Bud Collins pick above would have been a good one as well, forgot about him....

Tier 3 - The Schticky Tier

7 POINTS - **** Vitale

College coach 73-77
* Pistons coach for 94 games 78-80
* "This is awesome, baby!" and "diaper dandy"
* He called ESPN's first college basketball game on December 5, 1979. 
* Vitale is signed with ESPN through the 2021–22 college basketball season.

I can't stand this guy. Again, all the shouting. His gimmick is just too phony and old for me. I insta-turn him off also, but I did give him a few years before doing so.  

The thing here is he's positive. He's had a huge impact on NCAA hoops and for NCAA hoops on TV.  So I give him credit for that and for being at the top of the "Shticky Guys."
higgins picked this in the 6th round.  2nd one picked.  :kicksrock:

Also appears as the voice on the Netflix show being the unlikely narrator for Netflix's 'Never Have I Ever' John McEnroe and Maitreyi Ramakrishnan (playing Devi Vishwakumar) in a scene from Netflix's "Never Have I Ever." McEnroe narrates the scripted coming-of-age series.

He's also so good that no Network can pin him down to an exclusive contract, he works where the Biggest Tourneys are on.. the best TV tennis analyst bar none, but the Bud Collins pick above would have been a good one as well, forgot about him....
I really don't care about the placement GB Getz gave him - just want people to know he's outstanding on TV. 

I couldn't stand McEnroe's personality as a player (though I loved his game). Anyone who can make Jimmy Connors - the most hated player in tennis history until McEnroe - the good guy is doing something both right and wrong.

But I think he's a fantastic analyst. He calls it how he sees it, but he's not a bitter curmudgeon (like Johnny Miller became). He  embraces the new styles and athletes while still being entertaining. 

Vitale drives me crazy. I can't stand him calling a game (give me Dan Bonner anytime), but there is no doubting that he had something to do with the rise in popularity of televised college hoops. He was basically John Madden, but even dumber.

The bigger problem I have in my regards of Vitale is he's both a huge phony and has done a ton of good for folks. His self-mythologizing of his part in the whole Jimmy V thing is a disgrace (I know people very high up in the CBB world who will never forgive him for coat-tailing there), but he's also raised a bazillion dollars to fight cancer in young people. He's now seen as a kind of Hardwood Yoda.

I couldn't stand McEnroe's personality as a player (though I loved his game). Anyone who can make Jimmy Connors - the most hated player in tennis history until McEnroe - the good guy is doing something both right and wrong.

But I think he's a fantastic analyst. He calls it how he sees it, but he's not a bitter curmudgeon (like Johnny Miller became). He  embraces the new styles and athletes while still being entertaining. 

Vitale drives me crazy. I can't stand him calling a game (give me Dan Bonner anytime), but there is no doubting that he had something to do with the rise in popularity of televised college hoops. He was basically John Madden, but even dumber.

The bigger problem I have in my regards of Vitale is he's both a huge phony and has done a ton of good for folks. His self-mythologizing of his part in the whole Jimmy V thing is a disgrace (I know people very high up in the CBB world who will never forgive him for coat-tailing there), but he's also raised a bazillion dollars to fight cancer in young people. He's now seen as a kind of Hardwood Yoda.
Yep - I can't stand listening to Vitale but there's no doubt he's an all-timer when it comes to sports personality.  I would have put him higher myself and I pretty much can't stand the guy any more.

Well darn, Erin Andrews was one of my “this could be sneaky good picks” and I was in line for a several point positive differential. Oh well. 

Well darn, Erin Andrews was one of my “this could be sneaky good picks” and I was in line for a several point positive differential. Oh well. 
She's not bad for what's she done but honestly, isn't she mostly known for having some pervert video her without permission?

Yeah, Good Ol' JR was a miss on commentary.

As far as pro wrestling personality, I think Hulk Hogan wins out due to longevity... but as far as the 90s boom period is concerned it's extremely close between him vs the combo of Steve Austin and Vince McMahon. Hogan's heel turn to the NWO drew millions of heads to WCW to get the Monday Night Wars started... but SCSA railing against his all-corporate boss drew more to WWF.

She's not bad for what's she done but honestly, isn't she mostly known for having some pervert video her without permission?
Isn't Marv Albert mostly known for wearing women's underwear? 

Neither should underscore the impact of their work. 

*Also, I think of the Favre **** pics sooner than I do the voyeurism crime. 

Hogan would have been a fine choice, but The Rock is the biggest sports personality out of the wrestling world
The Rock was someone you and I discussed earlier, as you acknowledged.

For this category specifically, The Rock doesn't make a strong pick because:

1) He's not primarily known for sports, except that his movie fans know of his athletic background, and
2) He has transcended to cinema, and was never baselined as a television figure. Wrestling broadcasts and SNL appearances notwithstanding. The Rock is a movie star who got his start playing college football and appearing as a wrestler -- but that's his past, not the thrust of his notoriety today.

Comedy - 1971 to 1990

Let’s just start out with me saying this is an extremely difficult exercise as these shows are all classics and deserve the recognition they get here and otherwise. A lot of the margins in the rankings will be extremely thin and I can honestly say that there is only one show on here I did not really like. Anything ranked towards the bottom of the list is merely a reflection of such a strong field, not that show itself.

My rankings will be mostly subjective (75%) and will be based on the writing, acting, overall series run, memorable characters and of course, finally, how funny the show was. I’ll also add some level of objectivity (25%), to be fair about it, which will be based on general reputation of the shows, Emmy wins and where it ranks on the IMDb all time comedy rankings – which runs across all eras.

Notable Omissions: Sanford and Son; Soap; The Odd Couple, Happy Days, Welcome Back Kotter, Laverne and Shirley

1 Point:     A Different World (IMDb Rank: 286)

“Sorry Homey, Whitley don't play that!”

This spin-off of The Cosby Show wasn’t very good in my opinion and has no business being among this group of shows – especially when looking at the list of my notable omissions. I wasn’t necessarily the target audience, I suppose, but I did give it a chance due to its time slot and liking the Cosby Show, but it never clicked with me. I just don’t think it was funny at all and most of the characters were caricatures.

Objectively, the show received good ratings based on its cushy timeslot following The Cosby Show and Cheers but it won no awards and is mostly forgotten. Personally, I was a bit surprised to see it drafted in such a deep category.

2 Points:     The Love Boat (IMDb Rank: NR)

“Love, it’s exciting and new…”

When this was drafted tim asked if this was a comedy? While it’s more of a hybrid “dramedy” it does qualify for the category, but it wasn’t really all that funny imo. I loved this show when I was a child, but it does not hold up well during recent viewings. The main characters were great and very well known (who hasn’t done the Isaac double gun point?), but they were never fully developed and were there more for a vehicle to introduce the weekly lineup of guest stars. The Love Boat formula was copied by other shows following its success, so in that way it was revolutionary, but that formula also led to mostly non-memorable story lines.

Objectively, while it received good ratings, the show never won a single award and was not ranked by IMdb as a top comedy on a list of 296 shows.

3 Points:      Night Court (IMDb Rank: 51)

“The Big Apple needs a worm like Fielding”

I feel bad about ranking this show so low (I can say the same about the next three picks as well) but this is such a strong field and this show is a bit more lightweight than the shows above it. There’s only one truly great character, Reinhold Daniel Fielding, and even he was a bit one dimensional. The show centered around Judge Harry Stone, but I liked Harry Anderson better in small doses on Cheers as “Harry the Hat” than as the centerpiece of an ensemble cast. The weekly guest stars on trial were great and the show had some heart to go with its general wackiness but unfortunately it was on during the heyday of TV sitcoms.

Objectively, while it has a cult following still, the show did not win an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series, but only three nominations. John Laroquette did win four consecutive Emmy’s for his portrayal of the District Attorney Fielding and they were well deserved, in fact the only thing stopping him from possibly winning a fifth was him withdrawing himself from consideration – but one character does not a show make.

4  Points:      Family Ties (IMDb Rank: 41)

“People that have money don’t need people”

Family Ties was an incredibly sweet show which of course launched breakout star Michael J. Fox into Superstardom. The premise of the show’s parents representing hippie counterculture of the 60s/70s juxtaposed with the materialism/capitalism rampant in the 80s as reflected by their son, Alex P. Keaton was a pretty clever concept. The family dynamics was a huge part of the show and made it more than just a sitcom, but there were still plenty of laughs each week. I had a pretty big crush on Mallory as well.

Objectively, Alex P. Keaton is still a huge name in pop-culture with Fox winning three Emmys for his performance. The show also won one Emmy for writing.

5 Points:      Three’s Company (IMDb Rank: 96)

“Oh, I love surprises. It’s funny that you never suspect them”

This show is so ingrained in pop culture that even today sitcoms reference it whenever there is some major misunderstanding between the characters that leads to hijinks. While most of the jokes (especially the gay “bashing”) are outdated by todays standards, the show was considered cutting edge in it’s day. It was also one of the rare shows that survived and thrived after losing major characters albeit The Ropers >>> Mr. Furley and Chrissy Snow >>> Cindy Snow/Teri Alden.

Objectively the show is still beloved to this day, but never won an Emmy outside of John Ritter for his portrayal of Jack Tripper. It also spurned two spin-off shows.

6 Points:    The Jeffersons (IMDb Rank: NR)

“Well we’re movin’ on up….”

This spin-off from All in the Family was hugely popular in its own right and was a satirical look at the economic division between the white and black races at the time. Many conservatives did not like the fact that the white characters were portrayed mostly as either buffoons or bigots, but that was part of the satire. George Jefferson is an iconic character and while he lost his “edge” over the course of the show he was one of the most controversial and important characters in a comedy series.

Objectively, the show only won one Emmy and that was for Isabelle Sanford’s portrayal of Louise Jefferson. Shockingly it was not on the IMDb list despite some really bad shows appearing including Sherman Hemsley’s subsequent show, Amen.

7 Points:    Barney Miller (IMDb Rank: 28)

“Barney, divorce is like a horse with a broken leg. You can shoot the horse but that don’t fix the leg.”

One of the grandfathers of ensemble cast sitcoms, the show took place almost entirely on one set, NYPD’s fictional 14th Precinct. While the show was named after the squad’s captain, Barney Miller, there really was not a star of the show and instead relied not only on the various show regulars but the never-ending array of guest star perps or complainants. It was also one of the more diverse casts on television, especially at the time, featuring Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latino and Jewish characters/cast members.

The series won an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy series in 1982, it’s last season.

8 Points:     The Bob Newhart Show (IMDb Rank: 17)

“Hi Bob”

When I was in college my friend Steve always told people I was “Bob Newhart” because of my dry sense of humor. This sitcom had Newhart playing psychologist Bob Hartley with most of the humor coming from Bob’s interactions with his therapy groups, staff and wife at home. Newhart mostly played the straight man to the hijinks around him, but his sarcastic dry humor was and still is his trademark. Newhart went on to star in a subsequent sitcom, Newhart, where the series finale famously revealed that this entire series was a dream that Bob Hartley had about owning a Bed and Breakfast in Vermont after he wakes up in bed with his wife Emily.

The Bob Newhart show was beloved in it’s day and is still respected – it never won an Emmy for the show or the cast but still receives high marks in most comedy show rankings.

9 Points:   Mork and Mindy (IMDb Rank: 104) 

“Na-Nu Na-Nu”

Mork and Mindy was famously a spin-off from the show Happy Days, where extraterrestrial Mork from Ork battled the Fonz at Arnold’s Diner while trying to abduct him. In the series Mork returns to Earth many years later to observe the human race for the leaders of Ork and falls in love with human, Mindy, who he eventually has a son with played by Johnathan Winters. The show was a showcase for star Robin Williams’ frantic quirky improv comedy – and how can a show that launched Robin Williams into super-stardom rank any lower than this – despite the written segments of the show being a bit subpar and corny at times?

Another show that received no Emmy wins but is still well-known and beloved to this day.

The Rock was someone you and I discussed earlier, as you acknowledged.

For this category specifically, The Rock doesn't make a strong pick because:

1) He's not primarily known for sports, except that his movie fans know of his athletic background, and
2) He has transcended to cinema, and was never baselined as a television figure. Wrestling broadcasts and SNL appearances notwithstanding. The Rock is a movie star who got his start playing college football and appearing as a wrestler -- but that's his past, not the thrust of his notoriety today.
Yes, I was couching this in the context of television.

10 Points:     WKRP in Cincinnati (IMDb Rank: 47)

“As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”

Another 70s ensemble cast sit-com that has left us with the greatest Thanksgiving episode of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGFtV6-ALoQ&list=WL&index=9&t=58s. From Les Nesman’s “office walls” to Herb Tarlik’s loud sports jackets to Loni Anderson’s “assets” this show was iconic and left us with some of the most memorable characters of all-time. Most radio deejays at the time acknowledge the show as a realistic look at the industry and it the premise of going from and easy listening station to a rock and roll station was perfect for the zeitgeist of the time in the mid/late seventies.

The show received great ratings in large part due to it’s time slot following the popular M*A*S*H but also earned it’s own cult following.

11 Points:    The Mary Tyler Moore Show (IMDb Rank: 7)

“A little song…a  little dance…a little seltzer down your pants”

TMTMS was ground-breaking as being the first show to feature an unmarried independent woman as the main character. The cast featured some all-time heavy weights like Mary Tyler Moore (duh), Ed Asner, Gavin McCloud, Ted Knight and Betty White and dealt with such taboo topics as pre-marital sex, homosexuality and infidelity – all while maintain the ability to be hysterical.

TMTMS received a record (at the time) twenty-nine Primetime Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Comedy Series three years in a row (1975–1977).

12 Points:     The Cosby Show (IMDb Rank: 13)

“I brought you into this world, and I can take you out”

The Cosby Show was a groundbreaking show in that the lead character was a serial rapist who drugged unexpecting woman before taking advantage of them. In all seriousness (who doesn’t like to joke about date rape?) it was groundbreaking for portraying an affluent African-American family in a stable and loving household during a time that really wasn’t shown on television. Bill Cosby played the lovable father of the family, Cliff Huxtable who extolled guidance in a humorous way towards his children. Cosby based the show on his comedy act and more specifically the parts that dealt with his family life.

It was one of the most popular shows on TV at the time – spending five consecutive seasons as the top rated show. In 1985 it won an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series – only the dark cloud cast by the actions of Bill Cosby kept it from being drafted much earlier I’m guessing.

13 Points:    M*A*S*H (IMDb Rank: 12)

“This must be my Kim Lucky day”

This show famously lasted 11 seasons on the air, despite the Korean War only lasting 3 years. Unlike most sitcoms, because the underlying “war is hell” narrative the show , it had elements of drama and was surely darker than the other shows on this list. Truth be told while I surely liked the show, I did not have the love for it most did – and the objective element to these rankings surely boosted it up.

M*A*S*H is one of the most watched shows of all-time with the series finale drawing 125 million viewers. The show won 14 Emmys including Outstanding Comedy series in 1974. The show also made star Alan Alda one of the most beloved actors in television history.

14 Points:    Taxi (IMDb Rank: 18)

“Whaaaatttt…doooesss…a….yelllllloow…liigghhtt…..meeaann?”

Taxi is my favorite sitcom of all-time. The two that I rank above it are also personal favorites but get bumped up by the objectivity elements. The show which centers around employees of the fictional NYC Sunshine Cab Company gave us two of the greatest characters of all time in Louie DePalma and “Reverend” Jim Ignatowski. The underlying theme is that all of the ensemble cast outside of Alex Reagor have dreams that don’t involve being a cab driver and always have the rug pulled out from under them when it looks like their outside dreams may come true. The show also starred the late great Andy Kaufman as the shop mechanic Latka Gravas, who was an adaptation of Kaufman's "Foreign Man" character, which he originated in his stage act. The role also allowed him to play multiple characters when he developed multiple personality disorder. No show has given me more laughs than this show, but it also had a ton of heart and some all-time great sitcom actors.

The series won 18 Emmy Awards, including 3 for Outstanding Comedy Series.

15 Points:     All in the Family (IMDb Rank: 4)

“Silence is golden…so stifle thy self”

It’s not often that someone can be labled as a “lovable bigot” but Archie Bunker was able to pull it off. At the heart of this show is the sentiment of “the greatest generation” v. “the baby boomers” as young people started becoming “woke” while older grumpy white guys lamented for the “good ole days”. This is exemplified in the battles between Archie and his grad student son-in-law Michael “Meathead” Stivic. The show is so engrained in society that Rob Reiner, who went on to become a highly respected director, once remarked (paraphrasing) “I could win an Oscar but I’d still be known as ‘meathead’”. The chemistry between the cast was outstanding and the love between Archie and Edith was very touching up until Edith’s death. While Archie was a bigot and bully at times, the audience knew he had a heart of gold and of course the show was written so that the bigot would always look like the fool in the end.

The show was popular enough to garner five spin-off shows. The show won four Emmys for Outstanding Comedy Series and was the first show where all four lead characters won Emmys for their acting.

16 Points:  Cheers (IMDb Rank: 10)

“It’s a dog eat dog world and I’m wearing milk-bone underwear”

The top spot goes to the place “where everybody knows your name”, Cheers. I recently rewatched the entire series and marveled at the fact that unlike most shows that fade away, this show was still very strong in it’s eleventh and final season – in fact some of the biggest laughs and surprises come in the last few episodes. It also was one of the few shows that successfully replaced two main characters without skipping a beat, and it could be argued that the new additions of Woody and Rebecca were as good or better than Coach and Dianne. The Sam and Diane “will they or won’t they” is still brought up to this day when discussing potential love interest between show characters. The show captured the spirit of a local watering hole and the relations that are formed and was cast just about as well as could be. This was indeed “Must Watch TV”.

Nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series for all eleven of its seasons on the air, it earned 28 Primetime Emmy Awards from a record of 117 nominations - winning Outstanding Comedy Series in 1983, 1984, 1989, and 1991.

Comedy - 1971 to 1990

1. Cheers 16 Points
  2. All in the Family 15 Points
  3. Taxi 14 Points
  4. M*A*S*H 13 Points
  5. The Cosby Show 12 Points
  6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show 11 Points
  7. WKRP in Cincinnati 10 Points
  8. Mork and Mindy 9 Points
  9. The Bob Newhart Show 8 Points
  10. Barney Miller 7 Points
  11. The Jeffersons 6 Points
  12. Three’s Company 5 Points
  13. Family Ties  4 Points
  14. Night Court 3 Points
  15. The Love Boat 2 Points
  16. A Different World 1 Point

Comedy - 1971 to 1990

1.      Cheers 

2.      All in the Family

3.      Taxi 

4.      M*A*S*H 

5.      The Cosby Show 

6.      The Mary Tyler Moore Show 

7.      WKRP in Cincinnati 

8.      Mork and Mindy 

9.      The Bob Newhart Show 

10.  Barney Miller 

11.  The Jeffersons 

12.  Three’s Company 

13.  Family Ties 

14.  Night Court

15.  The Love Boat 

16.  A Different World 
Any possible way to list the points instead of rank. MAkes it a lot easier

Comedy - 1971 to 1990

Notable Omissions: Sanford and Son; Soap; The Odd Couple, Happy Days, Welcome Back Kotter, Laverne and Shirley
You know what's weird? I remembered that Soap was still out there. But for some reason -- even having my own copy of the spreadsheet to peruse -- I mentally sorted the other shows on your omissions list as "taken". Of course, it was actually characters from those shows that were taken.

Sorry -- Pitchfork ... I used your pick in this category to shout out a show I enjoyed personally back in the day.

Fantastic job, Doc.

I would have had Mork & Mindy below Barney and Bob Newhart, but M&M - when Jonathan Winters joined - probably had me laughing harder at a TV show than I've ever laughed before. That may be the most surreal era of any popular sitcom ever. Every week, my friends and I would have a weed party to watch it.

Comedy - 1971 to 1990

1. Cheers 
  2. All in the Family
  3. Taxi 
  4. M*A*S*H 
  5. The Cosby Show 
  6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show 
  7. WKRP in Cincinnati 
  8. Mork and Mindy 
  9. The Bob Newhart Show 
  10. Barney Miller 
  11. The Jeffersons 
  12. Three’s Company 
  13. Family Ties 
  14. Night Court
  15. The Love Boat 
  16. A Different World 
Golden Age of SitComs, brutal category, nicely done!

I would have had Mork & Mindy below Barney and Bob Newhart, but M&M - when Jonathan Winters joined - probably had me laughing harder at a TV show than I've ever laughed before. That may be the most surreal era of any popular sitcom ever. Every week, my friends and I would have a weed party to watch it.
I'd have switched Mork and Mindy and Night Court positions -- Night Court feels more like a mid-tier show in this line-up to me.

None of us tapping Happy Days was a pretty serious oversight by the house. But what did it have -- three characters taken?

I'd have switched Mork and Mindy and Night Court positions -- Night Court feels more like a mid-tier show in this line-up to me.

None of us tapping Happy Days was a pretty serious oversight by the house. But what did it have -- three characters taken?
I'm just a huge Robin Williams fan and like @Uruk-Hai pointed out the shows with him a Jonathan Winters riffing off eachother was comedy gold - admittedly the show itself wasn't well written but the "comedy" shot it up the list imo. I like Night Court a lot, but it just seemed less memorable overall compared to the others above it.

I love the high ranking for WKRP, I am doing a re-watch of this one and it still holds up great.  Cosby show is a tough one to rank, hard to look at the show the same way, but as a time capsule vacuum it def deserves the ranking...   

Isn't Marv Albert mostly known for wearing women's underwear? 

Neither should underscore the impact of their work. 

*Also, I think of the Favre **** pics sooner than I do the voyeurism crime. 
I think Favre sent those to Jenn Sterger not Erin Andrews.  

Users who are viewing this thread