What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (3 Viewers)

1971-1990 Supporting Woman Rankings

Criteria

Combined rankings with @mphtrilogy and @rick6668.  It seems like we all looked at things fairly similarly.  Popular culture recognition was weighted as importantly as impact/performance within the series.  Awards recognitions within the category (particularly Emmy awards), were also heavily used in all our rankings.  This was a very deep category that broke into some distinct groupings in the combined rankings.  Ties in the combined score were broken by who was ranked highest by the most rankers. I’m listing the separate rankings from the panel of judges for transparency.

Notable exclusions that may have scored well include Ellen Craig (St. Elsewhere), “Buddy” Lawrence (Family), Peggy Fair (Mannix), and Fay Furillo (Hill St, Blues).

The Bottom Two

Both were very solid in their roles, but didn’t really break out into broader pop culture and neither did well in awards recognition.

16 - Nurse Dixie McCall (1 pts)

Played by Julie London on Emergency - 0 Emmy nominations, with 0 wins

(Individual rankings - 1/1/2)

15 - Willona Woods (2 pts)

Played by Ja'Net DuBois on Good Times - 0 Emmy nominations, with 0 wins

(Individual rankings - 2/3/1)

Romo is not a play by play guy.  He is a color commentator that adds analysis to the broadcast.  It's a very different set of skills than being a play by play guy.

And yes, Romo is a phenomenal analyst for the broadcast.
Yep - just a screw-up trying to post quickly.

1971 -1990 Supporting Woman Rankings – Part 2

The Pop Culture Queens

The one-note wonders.  They rank higher than the bottom tier due to their broader reach culturally, but still very limited in their in-show performances and in the awards department.

14 - Marcia Brady (3 pts)

Played by Maureen McCormick on Brady Bunch - 0 Emmy nominations, with 0 wins

(Individual rankings - 5/2/3)

13 - Sandra Clark (4 pts)

Played by Jackée Harry on 227 - 2 Emmy nominations, with 1 win

(Individual rankings - 3/7/4)

12 - Daisy Duke (5 pts)

Played by Catherine Bach on Dukes of Hazzard - 0 Emmy nominations, with 0 wins

(Individual rankings - 4/6/5)

11 - Florence Jean Castleberry (6 pts)

Played by Polly Holliday on Alice - 3 Emmy nominations, with 0 wins

(Individual rankings - 6/5/6)

1971-1990 Supporting Woman Rankings – Part 3

The Really Good, But Not Quite Great

These were all excellent characters – prominent in their shows, more widely recognized, but not quite as complete as the top two tiers.

10 - Florence Johnston (7 pts)

Played by Marla Gibbs on The Jeffersons - 5 Emmy nominations, with 0 wins

(Individual rankings - 7/9/7)

9 - Sgt. Lucille Bates (8 pts)

Played by Betty Thomas on Hill Street Blues - 7 Emmy nominations, with 1 win

(Individual rankings - 8/4/12)

8 - Sue Ann Nivens (9 pts)

Played by Betty White on The Mary Tyler Moore Show - 3 Emmy nominations, with 2 wins

(Individual rankings - 9/10/8)

7 - Phyllis Lindstrom (10 pts)

Played by Cloris Leachman on The Mary Tyler Moore Show - 3 Emmy nominations, with 1 win

(Individual rankings - 10/8/9)

*** Biggest faller in the rankings – was the first selection in this category ***

1971-1990 Supporting Woman Rankings – Part 4

The Supporting All-Stars

The key to a great supporting character is one of two things in my opinion: 1) an excellent side-kick to the main character with their own storylines highlighted in the show (basically a 1B to the main character’s 1A status), or 2) a great foil/villain to the main character to drive conflict and intrigue.  We have two awesome examples of each category in this tier that were also all widely recognized with awards.

6 - Jackie Harris (11 pts)

Played by Laurie Metcalf on Roseanne - 5 Emmy nominations, with 3 wins

(Individual rankings - 12/12/10)

*** Best bargain in the rankings – was the 13th selection in this category ***

5 - Esther Walton (12 pts)

Played by Ellen Corby on The Waltons - 5 Emmy nominations, with 3 wins

(Individual rankings - 11/13/11)

4 - Margaret Pynchon (13 pts)

Played by Nancy Marchand on Lou Grant - 5 Emmy nominations, with 4 wins

(Individual rankings - 13/11/13)

3 - Rhoda Morgenstern (14 pts)

Played by Valerie Harper on The Mary Tyler Moore Show - 4 Emmy nominations, with 3 wins

(Individual rankings - 14/14/14)

1971-1990 Supporting Woman Rankings – Part 5

The Superstars of Support

Iconic both within their roles on the show as well in popular culture.  Had story lines that made them both heroes as well as villains as they related to the main characters.  AND LOOK AT THOSE EMMY NOMINATIONS!  They dominated this 20 year period.

2 - Maj. Margaret Houlihan (15 pts)

Played by Loretta Swit on M*A*S*H - 10 Emmy nominations, with 2 wins

(Individual rankings - 15/15/15)

1 - Carla Tortelli (16 pts)

Played by Rhea Perlman on Cheers - 10 Emmy nominations, with 4 wins

(Individual rankings - 16/16/16)

1971-1990 Supporting Woman Final Rankings

16 pts - Carla Tortelli (#1)

15 pts - Maj. Margaret Houlihan (#2)

14 pts - Rhoda Morgenstern (#3)

13 pts - Margaret Pynchon (#4)

12 pts - Esther Walton (#5)

11 pts - Jackie Harris (#6)

10 pts - Phyllis Lindstrom (#7)

9 pts - Sue Ann Nivens (#8)

8 pts - Sgt. Lucille Bates (#9)

7 pts - Florence Johnston (#10)

6 pts - Florence Jean Castleberry (#11)

5 pts - Daisy Duke (#12)

4 pts - Sandra Clark (#13)

3 pts - Marcia Brady (#14)

2 pts - Willona Woods (#15)

1 pts - Nurse Dixie McCall (#16)

Nice job Yo Mama!  Our rankings were all pretty close.  Made me feel better about my selections.
Thanks. Aside from a few exceptions we were all fairly close in our rankings.

71-90 supporting man might have some more variation. I’ll have those out tomorrow (maybe tonight if I continue to procrastinate doing employee evaluations). 

Sports Personalities - Tier 5 (cont)

10 POINTS - Dan Patrick

Career

Before working with ESPN, Patrick was known by his surname, "Dan Pugh", as an on-air personality with the album rock-formatted WVUD and then, WTUE in Dayton, Ohio (1979–1983). Patrick was then a sports reporter for CNN (1983–89), where his assignments included the World Series, NBA Finals and Winter Olympics. From 1989–1995, Patrick did a daily sports segment for Bob and Brian, a syndicated Wisconsin-area morning show, and in the early 1990s, he did sports updates for the Columbus, Ohio, Rock Station WLVQ and appeared on the morning show "Wags and Elliot."

ESPN

Patrick was an anchor on ESPN's SportsCenter (1989–2006). He also hosted The Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio from September 13, 1999, to August 17, 2007.

In the mid-1990s, Dan and Keith Olbermann were among ESPN's most recognizable faces. Olbermann used the catch phrase "Welcome to the Big Show" when Patrick worked with him on SportsCenter. After getting reprimanded by their superiors, they began saying "This is SportsCenter" sarcastically, accidentally spawning the show's new catch phrase as well as the name of their long-running promotional campaign. When Olbermann left, Patrick said, "This isn't the Big Show anymore."Patrick stated on his radio program that the ABC sitcom Sports Night was a semi-fictional account of the Olbermann/Patrick anchored SportsCenter, with Casey McCall (Peter Krause) representing Patrick.

Starting on March 19, 2006, until the final game of the NBA Finals, he became the host of ABC's then-titled NBA Nation, a pregame show for the network's NBA telecasts.

On July 9, 2007, Patrick on his radio show announced his departure from ESPN/ABC effective August 16, 2007, stating, "I am leaving ESPN August 17 to go out on my own and be a free agent...I think I was starting to take it (ESPN) for granted," Patrick said. He said ESPN tried to talk him out of it. If there were any animosity, he says, "I wouldn't be sticking around until August."

Patrick remained off air from ESPN Radio until August 15 for his three farewell shows. He was originally reported to be returning for a final week, but returned on Wednesday of that week.

ESPN's statement released to the media said Patrick would be released from his contract August 31, 2007, exactly one year early from his deal that was to run until August 31, 2008. The statement also said this would be the final comment on Patrick's departure from ESPN. "ESPN contractually bans all employees from making specific announcements of their futures on their airwaves, but out of respect to Dan and all he's done for ESPN we allowed him an opportunity to end the speculation"

New radio-TV show/Sports Illustrated

Patrick signed a syndication deal with Chicago-based Content Factory, which launched his new version of The Dan Patrick Show on October 1, 2007. It was distributed nationally by Premiere Radio Networks. The show aired live on most stations from 9 a.m. to noon Eastern, although some delayed the show into the evening. The show ran delayed on Sirius XM Sports Nation on Sirius Radio channel 122 and XM Radio channel 143. It was also available as a live stream and in podcast form via Patrick's website.

In January 2009, Dan Patrick's show replaced Out of Bounds with Craig Shemon and James Washington on Premiere Radio's Fox Sports Radio network. This brought an additional 60 affiliates to Patrick's portfolio, and brought the affiliate count to over 200. It also allows SiriusXM Radio listeners to hear the show live on the Fox Sports simulcast on channel 247.

In August 2009, The Dan Patrick Show started being broadcast on The 101 Network, following a show of DIY Network in which a toy-filled "man cave" studio was built in Milford, Connecticut. The radio-only show had been produced in the attic of Patrick's home. The Dan Patrick Show features "The Danettes", who assist Dan with the show. The Dan Patrick Show became the first show to premiere on the Audience Network, DirecTV's rebranded version of The 101 Network on DirecTV channel 239 on June 1, 2011, where it aired until February 2020.

Sports Illustrated announced in October 2007 Patrick would become the magazine's senior writer. He would also contribute blogs to SI.com's "Fan Nation" and host the magazine's Sportsman of the Year show. SI collaborates with Content Factory to produce Patrick's web site, and helps stream his radio show. Patrick said he will produce non-television content exclusively for Sports Illustrated. The Dan Patrick Show began simulcasting on Root Sports in October 2010, and on NBC Sports Network in November 2012.

NBC Sports

Patrick (left) along with colleagues Tony Dungy and Rodney Harrison at an NFL game in Denver in September 2013.

On July 7, 2008, it was announced Patrick would join NBC Sports as a co-host of the third season of Football Night in America with former SportsCenter co-anchor Keith Olbermann every Sunday night beginning in September during the NFL season. Patrick and Olbermann host a series of highlights on the show and a segment called "The Little Big Show" with the day's top NFL plays.

"The Little Big Show" refers to Patrick and Olbermann's time at ESPN where they referred to the 11pm SportsCenter they hosted as "The Big Show." This name both annoyed the other hosts, who felt insulted, and management, who preferred them to call the show by the actual name. Frustrations mounted so high that management told them to just say, "This is SportsCenter." This phrase ironically became ESPN's major tagline for SportsCenter.[10]

Patrick served as the Super Bowl XLIII trophy presenter after the Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the Arizona Cardinals, and again at Super Bowl XLVI after the New York Giants defeated the New England Patriots. Patrick contributed to the network's coverage of the 2010 Winter Olympics as a reporter for women's downhill skiing and snowboarding. He hosted NBC's 2010 & 2011 Stanley Cup Finals coverage. In 2012, NBC named Patrick daytime co-host with Al Michaels for the London Olympics.

Patrick once again served as the trophy presenter at Super Bowl XLIX when the New England Patriots defeated the Seattle Seahawks.

In March 2018, it was announced that Patrick would not return as the host of NBC's Football Night in America after turning down a contract offer. Soon thereafter, it was announced that Patrick would take over hosting duties of Undeniable (with Joe Buck) on Audience Network.

Sports Jeopardy!

On April 29, 2014, it was announced that Patrick would host Sports Jeopardy!, a sports-themed version of Jeopardy! shown on Crackle. The series debuted September 24, 2014, and featured special guest Alex Trebek reading out the Final Jeopardy! clue in the third episode. Its last episode aired on December 7, 2016.

The long run on Sports Center put him here for me. Big part of the way Sports news changed on TV back then. Just an overall excellence to what's he done, and lately on his own terms.

Sports Personalities - Tier 5 (cont)

11 POINTS -  Jim McKay

1961-1998 Wide World Of Sports
* "Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sports" and what lay ahead "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat".
( I didn't miss too many of these from 67-80)
* He is also known for television coverage of 12 Olympic Games, and is universally respected for his memorable reporting on the Munich massacre at the 1972 Summer Olympics.
*McKay covered a wide variety of special events, including horse races such as the Kentucky Derby, golf events such as the British Open, and the Indianapolis 500. McKay's son, Sean McManus, a protégé of Roone Arledge, is the chairman of CBS Sports.

Television

In 1947, McKay gave up his job as a reporter for The Evening Sun to join that same organization's new TV station WMAR-TV. His was the first voice ever heard on television in Baltimore.

McKay remained with the station until joining CBS in New York in 1950 as host of a variety show, called The Real McKay, which necessitated the changing of his on-air surname.[From 1958 to 1960, McKay served as host and commentator on the CBS television daytime program The Verdict Is Yours. Through the 1950s, sports commentary became more and more his primary assignment for CBS. In 1956-57, McKay teamed with Chris Schenkel to call CBS telecasts of New York Giants football. He was originally tabbed to be the lead broadcaster of the network's coverage of the 1960 Winter Olympics, but had to be replaced by Walter Cronkite after suffering a mental breakdown. McKay recovered in time to host the 1960 Summer Olympics from the CBS Television studio in Grand Central Terminal.[6] He had a six-episode stint as host of the game show Make the Connection on NBC in 1955.

He moved on to ABC in 1961, and was the host of ABC's influential Wide World of Sports for 37 years.

McKay was known to motor racing fans as the host of the ABC's annual delayed telecast of the Indianapolis 500. Over the years, McKay worked with race drivers in commentary, including triple Formula One World Champion Jackie Stewart, triple Indy 500 winner Bobby Unser, and Sam Posey.

While covering the Munich massacre at the 1972 Summer Olympics for ABC, McKay took on the job of reporting the events live on his only scheduled day off during the Games, substituting for Chris Schenkel. He was on air for fourteen hours without a break, during a sixteen-hour broadcast. After an unsuccessful rescue attempt of the athletes held hostage, at 3:24 AM German Time, McKay came on the air with this statement:

When I was a kid my father used to say "Our greatest hopes and our worst fears are seldom realized." Our worst fears have been realized tonight. They have now said there were 11 hostages; two were killed in their rooms this morn-- yesterday morning, nine were killed at the airport tonight. They're all gone.

— McKay, 1972

Although McKay received numerous accolades for his reporting of the Munich hostage crisis (including two Emmy Awards, one for sports and one for news reporting), he stated in a 2003 HBO documentary about his life and career that he was most proud of a telegram he received from Walter Cronkite the day after the massacre praising his work.

McKay also hosted from the studio the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York. A happier result came when the U.S. hockey team defeated the Soviet Union in the Miracle on Ice. During the broadcast wrap-up after the game, McKay compared the American upset victory to a group of Canadian college football players defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers (the recent Super Bowl champions at the height of their dynasty).

In 1994, he was the studio host for the FIFA World Cup coverage, the first ever held on American soil. McKay also covered the 2006 FIFA World Cup for ABC. In 2002, ABC "loaned" McKay to NBC to serve as a special correspondent during the Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. In 2003, HBO released a documentary by McKay called Jim McKay: My World in My Words, tracing his career. This film outlines McKay's personal and professional accomplishments.

Decades and decades of brilliance.  

Thanks. Aside from a few exceptions we were all fairly close in our rankings.

71-90 supporting man might have some more variation. I’ll have those out tomorrow (maybe tonight if I continue to procrastinate doing employee evaluations)

You can use these evaluations as practice for your employee evaluations.   Just assign a TV character to each of your employees and rank away....

7 - Phyllis Lindstrom (10 pts)

Played by Cloris Leachman on The Mary Tyler Moore Show - 3 Emmy nominations, with 1 win

(Individual rankings - 10/8/9)

*** Biggest faller in the rankings – was the first selection in this category ***
:bag:  

1971-1990 Supporting Woman Rankings – Part 4

The Supporting All-Stars

The key to a great supporting character is one of two things in my opinion: 1) an excellent side-kick to the main character with their own storylines highlighted in the show (basically a 1B to the main character’s 1A status), or 2) a great foil/villain to the main character to drive conflict and intrigue.  We have two awesome examples of each category in this tier that were also all widely recognized with awards.

6 - Jackie Harris (11 pts)

Played by Laurie Metcalf on Roseanne - 5 Emmy nominations, with 3 wins

(Individual rankings - 12/12/10)

*** Best bargain in the rankings – was the 13th selection in this category ***
The spreadsheet shows her as the 15th selected.  An even bigger bargain!

1971-1990 Supporting Woman Final Rankings

16 pts - Carla Tortelli (#1)

15 pts - Maj. Margaret Houlihan (#2)

14 pts - Rhoda Morgenstern (#3)

13 pts - Margaret Pynchon (#4)

12 pts - Esther Walton (#5)

11 pts - Jackie Harris (#6)

10 pts - Phyllis Lindstrom (#7)

9 pts - Sue Ann Nivens (#8)

8 pts - Sgt. Lucille Bates (#9)

7 pts - Florence Johnston (#10)

6 pts - Florence Jean Castleberry (#11)

5 pts - Daisy Duke (#12)

4 pts - Sandra Clark (#13)

3 pts - Marcia Brady (#14)

2 pts - Willona Woods (#15)

1 pts - Nurse Dixie McCall (#16)
Again- 0 clue who i took.  :lmao:

Could someone confirm acceptance of the all-star alliance of Yo Mama, Uruk, mphtrilogy and me as judges for the 71-90 lead actor and actress in a drama and 71-90 drama show categories?  The spreadsheet is still blank.  TIA.
You’ve got it but I won’t be able to update until tonight 

The spreadsheet shows her as the 15th selected.  An even bigger bargain!
Ok, I just noticed something as I was starting to look at the 91-20 supporting rankings and I may need to adjust my 71-90 supporting woman rankings. 

Jackie Harris was drafted in the 71-90 category for Roseanne, but that show aired from 1988-1997 (and the new version going on now), so most of the years fall in the 91-20 time period (only 2 of the seasons fit in 71-90).  Further, all of her Emmy recognition was 1992 and beyond. 

@rick6668 and @mphtrilogy, I think due to this I’m going to move her down in my rankings. Do either of you want to adjust too? IM me if you want to make a change. 

Ok, I just noticed something as I was starting to look at the 91-20 supporting rankings and I may need to adjust my 71-90 supporting woman rankings. 

Jackie Harris was drafted in the 71-90 category for Roseanne, but that show aired from 1988-1997 (and the new version going on now), so most of the years fall in the 91-20 time period (only 2 of the seasons fit in 71-90).  Further, all of her Emmy recognition was 1992 and beyond. 

@rick6668 and @mphtrilogy, I think due to this I’m going to move her down in my rankings. Do either of you want to adjust too? IM me if you want to make a change. 
Disregard my comment.  She was drafted 13th and a big bargain in that category.....no need to look further.  Just stick with your initial gut feel.  It's the same character after all 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun stuff to catch up on. Judging has been great so far. With the exception of:

The Jeffersons got hosed

Don Cherry apparently has been canceled for being a hoser

Barker and his hoes deserved much better.

Mrs. Rannous said:
I drafted this, but I don't think you judged this show.  It sounds like you watched To Tell The Truth.

@Mr. Mojo
You're right, I did have them mixed up. Sorry about that.

I would rank both of them about the same spot, so I don't think that my error made much difference.

I'm working on my 1/4-value rankings of 1971-90 dramas, and the only one I don't remember watching at all, though I'm familiar with it generally, is Streets of San Francisco.  Turns out I was an infant, which might explain my lack of interest, but damn, this show had a helluva cast - Karl Malden and Michael Douglas as the main characters, plus an insane number of big-name guest stars.  Oh, and dreamy Richard Hatch taking over Douglas's role in the final season.  Great pick here, and I'm happy to be reminded of something that I should spend some time watching.

I'm way late to post this, but based on the 71-90 comedy rankings and shows that were left out, you people are all on my naughty list for leaving out Soap.  It was not only brilliant and hilarious but ground-breaking.  If I were ranking it would have been top five.

I've finished my preliminary rankings of 71-90 lead actress drama, lead actor drama, and drama show, and I have to say these were excellent picks.  No "A Different World" to make it easier on the judges here.  I feel like you found some good late-round value in particular in drama, too.

Lead actors 71-90 seem a bit same-y:

Dr. R Quincy - doctor

Frank Furillo - cop

Robert McCall - detective

James Sonny Crockett - cop

David Addison - detective

David Banner - doctor

John Walton - poor person with a heart of gold

Barnaby Jones - detective

Steve McGarrett - detective-y

Arnie Becker - lawyer

Lt Mike Stone - detective

Kwai Chang Caine - detective-y

Mr. Roark - mysterious host

Blake Carrington - ruthless billionaire

Dr. Donald Westphall - doctor

Dr. Marcus Welby - doctor

So out of 16, only four are not cop, doctor, or detective or detective-y.  Seems our male heroes need to expand their horizons.

Dr. R Quincy - doctor

Frank Furillo - cop

David Banner - doctor

Arnie Becker - lawyer

So out of 16, only four are not cop, doctor, or detective or detective-y.  Seems our male heroes need to expand their horizons.
My pick (Mr Roark) stands out 

Dr. R Quincy - doctor

Frank Furillo - cop

David Banner - doctor

Arnie Becker - lawyer

Sounds like 50s female lead:

Mom, wife, monster mom, wife, mom, witch mom, Jeannie wife, mom

I'm working on my 1/4-value rankings of 1971-90 dramas, and the only one I don't remember watching at all, though I'm familiar with it generally, is Streets of San Francisco.  Turns out I was an infant, which might explain my lack of interest, but damn, this show had a helluva cast - Karl Malden and Michael Douglas as the main characters, plus an insane number of big-name guest stars.  Oh, and dreamy Richard Hatch taking over Douglas's role in the final season.  Great pick here, and I'm happy to be reminded of something that I should spend some time watching.
Try the episode with John Davidson if you can find it.

It's called, "Mask of Death".

One that I wanted to ask @Dr. Octopus about and forgot to mention: I wonder how HBO's Not Necessarily the News would've fared in the 1970-1990 Comedy category?
I remember liking it a lot as a kid but unlike most of the shows on the list I’ve never rewatched from the initial airings, and the fact it’s not really a sitcom may knock it down a little. In other words, I’m not sure but likely in the bottom half.

TV Theme

There was a clear cut winner and a close tight grouping for 2,3,4.   What I was looking for was how the tune still resonated with me, how it set the tone for the show, and if still has some legacy value.  Mostly though, if I had a strong reaction when I listened to it.  Everybody has their favorites, but these are the rankings of the three judges @Yo Mama and @rick6668  and a crowdsource score all weighted for 25%.

"The Ballad of Davy Crockett" (1 point) – I have some response to the song, but it was clear cut last amongst the remaining judges scores.  Sorry about that, but here is a nice Wiki note:

"The Ballad of Davy Crockett" is a song with music by George Bruns and lyrics by Thomas W. Blackburn. It was introduced on ABC's television series Disneyland, in the premiere episode of October 27, 1954. Fess Parker is shown performing the song on a log cabin set in frontiersman clothes, accompanied by similarly attired musicians. The song would later be heard throughout the Disneyland television miniseries Davy Crockett, first telecast on December 15, 1954. This version was sung by The Wellingtons. Parker played the role of Davy Crockett in the miniseries and continued in four other episodes made by Walt Disney Studios. Buddy Ebsen co-starred as George "Georgie" Russel, and Jeff York played legendary boatman Mike Fink.  Archie Bleyer, the president of Cadence Records, heard the song on the ABC telecast (December 15, 1954) and called Bill Hayes that night to gauge his interest in recording it. The next day, Hayes (vocals), Al Caiola (guitar), and Art Ryerson (guitar) recorded it in one take at an RCA studio in Manhattan.[1] Other versions by Fess Parker[2] and Tennessee Ernie Ford (recorded on February 7, 1955) quickly followed. All three versions made the Billboard magazine charts in 1955: Hayes' version made #1 on the weekly chart (from March 26 through April 23) and #7 for the year, Parker's reached #6 on the weekly charts and #31 for the year, while Ford's peaked at #4 on the weekly country chart and #5 on the weekly pop chart and charted at #37 for the year. A fourth version, by bluegrass singer Mac Wiseman, reached #10 on the radio charts in May 1955.[3] The song also reached #1 on the Cash Box charts, from March 26 through May 14, 1955. A contemporary version also exists by Western singing group the Sons of the Pioneers. Over ten million copies of the song were sold.[4] Louis Armstrong also recorded the song in 1968. In the United Kingdom, Hayes' version reached #2 in the New Musical Express chart; Ford's version achieved #3, and a version by UK singer Max Bygraves reached #20. Several other British artistes recorded versions in 1955 and 1956, including Billy Cotton, Gary Miller, Ronnie Ronalde, and **** James.Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time.[5]
Judges: 2           1              1              1

Users who are viewing this thread