What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (1 Viewer)

1971-1990 Drama Rankings (cont.)

The Tippy-Top Tier

4 - St. Elsewhere (13 pts)

Called "Hill Street Blues in a hospital," which is as good a compliment as can be given.

62 Emmy nominations, with 13 wins

(Individual rankings - 15/14/12/11)

3 - Columbo (14 pts) 

"just one more thing..."

?? Emmy nominations*, with 13 wins

(Individual rankings - 14/14/13/13)

*mphtrilogy fell down on the job and didn't give me this

2 - The Rockford Files (15 pts) 

Jim Rockford has to be one of the coolest TV characters ever conceived.  Plus, that theme song!

17 Emmy nominations, with 5 wins

(Individual rankings - 15/15/15/14)

1 - Hill Street Blues (16 pts) 

Slam-dunk #1.  I knew it had been well-loved and well-respected, but those Emmy counts are astounding.

98 Emmy nominations, with 24 wins

(Individual rankings - 16/16/16/16)

1971-1990 Drama Rankings - Final List

Hill Street Blues – 16 pts

The Rockford Files – 15 pts

Columbo – 14 pts

St. Elsewhere – 13 pts

L.A. Law – 12 pts

Lou Grant – 11 pts

Cagney & Lacey – 10 pts

Murder She Wrote – 9 pts

Dallas – 8 pts

The Streets of San Francisco – 7 pts

Magnum, P.I. – 6 pts

The Waltons – 5 pts

Moonlighting – 4 pts

Dynasty – 3 pts

Trapper John, M.D. – 2 pts

Knight Rider – 1 pt

1 --Yo Mama--164

2 --AcerFC--138

3 --Tolstoy--136

4 --Hov34--136

5 --tuffnutt--128

6 --timschochet--126

7 --jwb--123

8 --mphtrilogy--119

9 --KarmaPolice--118

10 -Gally Steiner--118

11 -Zow--113

12 -Mrs. Rannous--106

13 -Pitchfork--102

14 -Doug B--99

15 -rick6668--95

16 -TripleLayne--84

1971-1990 Drama Rankings - Final List

Hill Street Blues – 16 pts

The Rockford Files – 15 pts

Columbo – 14 pts

St. Elsewhere – 13 pts

L.A. Law – 12 pts

Lou Grant – 11 pts

Cagney & Lacey – 10 pts

Murder She Wrote – 9 pts

Dallas – 8 pts

The Streets of San Francisco – 7 pts

Magnum, P.I. – 6 pts

The Waltons – 5 pts

Moonlighting – 4 pts

Dynasty – 3 pts

Trapper John, M.D. – 2 pts

Knight Rider – 1 pt
not kissing butt here - this group should judge more stuff. not perfect, but not as incredibly wrong as most of em have been

1 - Hill Street Blues (16 pts) 

Slam-dunk #1.  I knew it had been well-loved and well-respected, but those Emmy counts are astounding.

98 Emmy nominations, with 24 wins

(Individual rankings - 16/16/16/16)
It's almost impossible to overstate how good AND important this show was to TV history. Pretty much every prestige drama of this century comes straight out of Hill Street. It was smart, profane, funny, violent, serialized (lightly, but still...), and adult. There had never been another show like it on television. It may look a little slow today, but that's because everyone that's come down the pike since has used it as a launching pad.

I watched the "Who Shot JR" Dallas episode in real time. That cliffhanger had nothing on HSB's a) final scene of the Series Premiere and b) final scene of Season 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill try my hand at childrens show if that is OK with the panel. Just confirm so I dont start to do work and then have it be for not
No problems as far as I’m concerned, although I forget if someone already claimed it. I’m sure you’ll have no conflicts of interest in your judging, Dr. Doofenshmirtz. 

Does anyone want to help me with the Westerns ranking? 

I am asking because 3 of the shows I have never seen and I want to give the picks their proper due.

Thanks.

Does anyone want to help me with the Westerns ranking? 

I am asking because 3 of the shows I have never seen and I want to give the picks their proper due.

Thanks.
I could help you mojo..I think I’ve seen at least a few episodes of all the westerns. if you could help me with reality shows we could knock both these out. PM me if interested.

I could help you mojo..I think I’ve seen at least a few episodes of all the westerns. if you could help me with reality shows we could knock both these out. PM me if interested.
I would love to help you but I looked at the Reality Show list and I know less than 1/2 of them, so I would be lousy at that category.

How about if you PM me your ratings for the westerns and I can incorporate them into my ratings?

I would love to help you but I looked at the Reality Show list and I know less than 1/2 of them, so I would be lousy at that category.

How about if you PM me your ratings for the westerns and I can incorporate them into my ratings?
Will do.I’ll look them over again and work up a list and PM you tomorrow 

Holy crap, I thought our four-person all-star judging team was pretty aligned on Leading Man - '71-'90, but I was wrong.  We are all over the map.  And we have four ties.  Could I enlist anyone to help break these ties?  I will give @Gally first shot if he wants it since I snubbed him in the drama tiebreaker; however, I'll still need another person to help since one of the four ties involves his pick.

In the meantime, I can start the rankings as there was a clear bottom tier.  After these three, the point totals jump up quite a bit and we also hit our first tie.

1971-1990 Leading Man Drama Rankings

Combined rankings with @mphtrilogy, @Uruk-Hai, and @Yo Mama.  Searching for help with some tie-breakers.

The Bottom Tier

Somebody had to be at the bottom and it was these two three.  It was really even that close either.  (Yes, I'm using exactly the same language as Yo Mama/I did earlier.)

16 - Dr. Marcus Welby (1 pt)

Drafted last, so the drafter shouldn't be too disappointed, but I'm surprised he didn't dig out of the basement as he was a household name for years, as one judge pointed out.

(Individual rankings - 5/3/2/1)

15 - Blake Carrington (2 pts)

One judge pointed out he was better as the voice of Charlie in Charlie's Angels.  When you're preferred as a disembodied voice than as your character, you might not rank well.

(Individual rankings - 6/4/1/1)

14 - Barnaby Jones (3 pts)

Good character, good show, just got lost in the shuffle over the years.

(Individual rankings - 6/5/3/3)

Holy crap, I thought our four-person all-star judging team was pretty aligned on Leading Man - '71-'90, but I was wrong.  We are all over the map.  And we have four ties.  Could I enlist anyone to help break these ties?  I will give @Gally first shot if he wants it since I snubbed him in the drama tiebreaker; however, I'll still need another person to help since one of the four ties involves his pick.
OK, Gally has had half an hour, which is enough.  :lol:   Anyone else?

1971-1990 Leading Man Drama Rankings

The Bottom Tier

Somebody had to be at the bottom and it was these two three.  It was really even that close either.  (Yes, I'm using exactly the same language as Yo Mama/I did earlier.)

16 - Dr. Marcus Welby (1 pt)

Drafted last, so the drafter shouldn't be too disappointed, but I'm surprised he didn't dig out of the basement as he was a household name for years, as one judge pointed out.

(Individual rankings - 5/3/2/1)

14 - Barnaby Jones (3 pts)

Good character, good show, just got lost in the shuffle over the years.

(Individual rankings - 6/5/3/3)
Me again. Got Pitchfork two points, though.

Just to give a flavor of how close these are:  there is a four-point, compiled from four judges, difference between the #4 pick and the #10 pick in this category.  Two at 35 pts, two at 36, two at 37, and one at 39.  

I considered a few names when it came time to pick 71-90 Leading Man Drama. Others that I considered were Doogie Howser and Coach Ken Reeves (The White Shadow).

And one other name from the daytime soaps: Does anyone in this thread know the character Victor Newman without looking it up? (Hint) Giant icon in the soaps, but wasn't sure how that would fly here. Still ... Dark Shadows was a daytime soap that got some love, so :shrug:  

With thanks to @Getzlaf15 for tie-breaking, we move on!  By the way, Gally's guy wasn't in a tie-breaker after all - misread my notes.

1971-1990 Leading Man Drama Rankings (cont.)

The Beginning of the Squished-Up Rankings and Tie-Breakers, and the Point Where the Judges Start to Eye Each Other Suspiciously

13 - Lt. Mike Stone (4 pts) 

Terrific character and well-acted.  Just up against stiff competition, I suppose.

(Individual rankings - 11/8/4/4)

12 - Dr. Donald Westphall (5 pts) - *lost in a tiebreaker

Wins the award for largest disparity between his highest and lowest scores.  Might suffer from not being the primary character in a strong ensemble cast, though arguably the heart of the show.

(Individual rankings - 15/6/5/3)

11 - Arnie Becker (6 pts) - *won in a tiebreaker

Like Dr. Westphall, I suspect the middle-of-the-pack rankings came from his being a piece of a superb ensemble but not someone who carried a show.  Deliciously developed character, though.

(Individual rankings - 12/8/7/2)

I considered a few names when it came time to pick 71-90 Leading Man Drama. Others that I considered were Doogie Howser and Coach Ken Reeves (The White Shadow).

And one other name from the daytime soaps: Does anyone in this thread know the character Victor Newman without looking it up? (Hint) Giant icon in the soaps, but wasn't sure how that would fly here. Still ... Dark Shadows was a daytime soap that got some love, so :shrug:  
Doogie Howser was more in the 90s than pre-1990, so he probably would have suffered there.  Also, I never watched the show, but was it a drama or a comedy?  Maybe I just thought a kid doctor would naturally be a comedy but it really wasn't.

Ken Reeves would have ranked around the 4-5 point range for me, I think.  I don't know Dark Shadows so would have had to research that one.

Doogie Howser was more in the 90s than pre-1990, so he probably would have suffered there.  Also, I never watched the show, but was it a drama or a comedy?  Maybe I just thought a kid doctor would naturally be a comedy but it really wasn't.
The show debuted Sept 1989, so it had a season and a half in the 1971-90 time period, plus another two and a half in the 1991-2020 period.

Doogie Howser M.D. was a dramedy for sure, though it was treated as a comedy on the awards circuit. It was a curious endeavor, jointly created by Steven Bochco (Hill Street Blues, L.A. Law) and David E. Kelley (Picket Fences, Ally McBeal, The Practice).

I don't know Dark Shadows so would have had to research that one.
I think I steered you wrong here -- Victor Newman was not on Dark Shadows. Eric Braeden's Victor Newman been a 40-year fixture on CBS' The Young and The Restless. I just meant that since Dark Shadows and two of its characters got drafted, maybe there was hope for another daytime soap character.

The Apparently Interchangeable Tier

As mentioned, the total scores among this group were remarkably close.  Apologies to those who got the short end of a seemingly random stick.

10 - Robert McCall (7 pts) - *lost in a tiebreaker

I was the high score here and admittedly might be influenced by my college BFF loving this show and character so much.  But damn it, I love the complexity of this character, not just the typical black/white, good/bad that many TV detectives (or whatever you might call him) have.  Stunningly acted, too.

(Individual rankings - 13/11/9/2)

9 - David Banner (8 pts) - *won in a tiebreaker

That "1" score will make Dr. Banner angry.  You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

(Individual rankings - 13/11/10/1)

8 - Mr. Roarke (9 pts) - *lost in a tiebreaker

That "12" score should give the drafter "smiles, everyone smiles!" but please sit on this couch of rich Corinthian leather while I deliver the rest of the ranking news to you.

(Individual rankings - 12/9/8/7)

7 - Kwai Chang Kaine (10 pts) - *won in a tiebreaker

Runner-up for biggest disparity between high and low scores.  As the judge that gave him the highest score, I should give you my reasoning, but instead I shall say, "Young man, how is it that you do not?"

(Individual rankings - 14/13/6/3)

6 - John Walton (11 pts) - *lost in a tie-breaker

Winner for most polarizing.  

(Individual rankings - 14/14/5/4)

5 - David Addison (12 pts) - *won in a tie-breaker

Breakout role.  Interesting that his character did so much better overall than the show did, while I thought the show was well-balanced between the two leads.  Buncha sexists up in here.*

*I'm kidding, dumdums.  

(Individual rankings - 11/9/9/8)

4 - Steve McGarrett (13 pts)

Hmmm, I just googled to get a tidbit to share and came up with the new guy instead.  He sure is a lot hotter than the original one.  Anyway, fun character who was solid enough to merit a new, hotter version.

(Individual rankings - 12/10/10/7)

I think I steered you wrong here -- Victor Newman was not on Dark Shadows. Eric Braeden's Victor Newman been a 40-year fixture on CBS' The Young and The Restless. I just meant that since Dark Shadows and two of its characters got drafted, maybe there was hope for another daytime soap character.
Ah, I should have clicked the link.  Would be interesting to think how a daytime soap character would do.  Certainly there are some who are iconic.  How about Luke from General Hospital?  I'm sure there are others.  Would be hard to compare them to those chosen.

The Tippy-Top Tier But This Time Without Consensus

3 - James "Sonny" Crockett (14 pts) 

I dunno; I always liked the other guy better.  But this is another that launched a huge movie career, as well remakes, films, and unfortunate fashion iconography.   

(Individual rankings - 14/13/12/10)

2 - Dr. R. Quincy (15 pts) 

Maybe that "7" score is someone pissed that they never got to learn his first name.

(Individual rankings - 16/16/15/7)

1 - Frank Furillo (16 pts)

As close as we could get to unanimity in this highly differentiated category is the complex, imperfect heart and soul of the best TV drama of the era.  

(Individual rankings - 16/16/15/15)

1971-1990 Leading Man - Drama Rankings - Final List

Frank Furillo – 16 pts

Dr. R. Quincy – 15 pts

James "Sonny" Crockett  - 14 pts

Steve McGarrett – 13 pts

David Addison – 12 pts

John Walton – 11 pts

Kwai Chang Caine – 10 pts

Mr. Roarke – 9 pts

David Banner – 8 pts

Robert McCall – 7 pts

Arnie Becker – 6 pts

Dr. Donald Westphall – 5 pts

Lt Mike Stone – 4 pts

Barnaby Jones – 3 pts

Blake Carrington – 2 pts

Dr. Marcus Welby – 1 pt

Ah, I should have clicked the link.  Would be interesting to think how a daytime soap character would do.  Certainly there are some who are iconic.  How about Luke from General Hospital?
Luke Spencer was definitely ABC's top soap guy for a while there. But my mom always watched the CBS soaps :D

Anyone else remember how there used to be separate magazines for the different network daytime soaps? Like there used to be an "ABC Soaps", "NBC Soaps" and a "CBS Soaps" magazine.

Luke Spencer was definitely ABC's top soap guy for a while there. But my mom always watched the CBS soaps :D

Anyone else remember how there used to be separate magazines for the different network daytime soaps? Like there used to be an "ABC Soaps", "NBC Soaps" and a "CBS Soaps" magazine.
Ah, I don't think I had a "home network."  I just remember watching Days of Our Lives (NBC) followed by General Hospital (ABC) when I got home from school.  And this was without benefit of a remote so I actually had to get up and change the channel!  :lol:   From Days of Our Lives, "Victor" would be a good choice, and John Aniston might get bonus points for being Jennifer's dad.  Were there daytime TV categories in this draft?  If not, that seems like a miss.

Thanks for thinking of me unfortunately I was out and about with stuff to do.  Hopefully next time.

Thanks for thinking of me unfortunately I was out and about with stuff to do.  Hopefully next time.
I haven't calculated the scores yet, but would you like to be on point for any ties in Leading Woman - Drama for '71-'90? 

Supporting Men 1950-1970

16 Pts Spock 

15 Pts Barney Fife 

14 Pts Ed Norton 

13 Pts Dr McCoy

12 Pts Fred Mertz 

11 Pts Thurston Howell III

10 Pts Jonas Grumby 

9 Pts Robin 

8 Pts Col Klink 

7 Pts Kato 

6 Pts Alan Brady