What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (4 Viewers)

91-20 Drama

ok here we go, only 2 pts separated the 3rd Place from 1st Place, so it really is all about the Judges roll, another 4 judges and these results would be different I am sure.. but they would probably still be the top 3 with just about everyone... maybe...

I'll leave it up to each Judge to explain what made them choose what they did, but here is my take for each one..

Starting with ...

Breaking Bad - (14 points)

110 Emmy Wins!   262 Nominations! 9.5 IMDB!   

No top scores cost this the win, three 2nd's and one third.  A fantastic show on all fronts, dense and compelling storytelling with payoffs that comes years later, incredible work by Cranston in this as well as the whole cast.  Gilligan set a new standard in writing and in-depth topic research.  Has the highest IMDB score in the group.  I am sure most if not all in this Draft has seen most if not all of this show.   An amazing series.  I gave this a 2nd place score.

Wiki Note: " A 2015 survey by The Hollywood Reporter of 2,800 actors, producers, directors, and other industry people named Breaking Bad as their #2 favorite show.[122] In 2016, Rolling Stone ranked it third on its list of 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time.[123];  In 2013, Guinness World Records named Breaking Bad the highest-rated TV series of all time, citing its season 5 Metacritic score of 99 out of 100.[10][146];  Spun off BCS and a Breaking Bad Movie, 262 Nominations, and 110 wins."    
Judges Tally 15    14    15    15

That is what I was assuming.   I was hanging out mild hope with some of the rumblings in the thread of BB being the best, but I guess those people weren't the judges.  ;)  

Just wanted to mention my favorite TV drama that wasn’t drafted in the 91-2020 category: Showtime’s The Affair. i found it brilliant and consistently excellent throughout every season. 

Just wanted to mention my favorite TV drama that wasn’t drafted in the 91-2020 category: Showtime’s The Affair. i found it brilliant and consistently excellent throughout every season. 
That was the one with Pacey and McNulty? My wife watched it.

91-20 Drama

The Sopranos (15 points)    

106 Emmys!    257 Nominations!  9.2 IMDB

My choice for top spot, this show changed Modern TV IMHO.  Sunday night appointment viewing, and the cultural aspect cannot be overstated. Incredible work by Gandolfini in this and rich storytelling by David Chase it all worked for me.  Two top scores by the Judges, but two 3rd place scores gets this edged out.  3rd highest IMDB score.  

Wiki Note: Maureen Ryan of PopMatters described The Sopranos as the most influential television drama ever. "No one-hour drama series has had a bigger impact on how stories are told on the small screen, or more influence on what kind of fare we've been offered by an ever-growing array of television networks." 257 Nominations with 106 wins     
Judges Tally 16    16    14    14

91-20 Drama

The Wire (16 Points)   2 Emmy Nominations, 9.3 IMDB

Chosen 1.01 in this Draft, and many consider this the GOAT for Drama, however, I've tried 3 times to get into the show, but still have not finished.  I represent the "I haven't seen the Wire yet but it's on my List" crowd.  Literally the only show in this 16 that I have not seen completely so I could not rank this 1.1, but I also refused to drop this lower than 3rd as this show is beloved by so many, so I listed it 3rd behind my Sopranos and BB.  If I recuse myself the average judges score would still stand.  There is a faction of us out there who haven't see it, but it's on the list!  

Two judges ranked this at the Top Spot, and one with a 15, and despite my 3rd rank Score, it edges out The Sopranos by one vote and BB by two votes.  The bold 1.01 choice paid off for this round anyway.   Has the 2nd highest IMDB score.  

Wiki Note: Despite unanimous critical approval, The Wire never won a single Primetime Emmy Award nor received any major nominations, except for two writing nominations in 2005 and 2008.    
Judges Tally 14    15    16    16

1991-2020 Drama Final Rankings

• The Wire 16
  • The Sopranos 15
  • Breaking Bad 14
  • Mad Men 13
  • West Wing 12
  • Better Call Saul 11
  • NYPD Blue 10
  • ER 9
  • 6 Feet Under 8
  • House 7
  • True Detective 6
  • The Americans 5
  • The Leftovers 4
  • Law & Orde r3
  • Ozark 2
  • Northern Exposure 1

1 --Yo Mama--190

2 --Tolstoy--178

3 --Hov34--165

4 --jwb--156

5 --timschochet--153

6 --mphtrilogy--149

7 --AcerFC--148

8 --tuffnutt--147

9 --Gally Steiner--147

10 -KarmaPolice--144

11 -Zow--140

12 -Mrs. Rannous--137

13 -rick6668--129

14 -Doug B--115

15 -Pitchfork--111

16 -TripleLayne--104

Here's my thinking on how I would ranks these 3

• Longevity is basically the same for all 3 so that's a wash
  • Peak - all 3 had the highest of peaks but for me BB just didn't have much low - it was consistently high level and for me, burned bright until the very end
  • Characters - I think Sopranos gets the nod here - fantastic, memorable characters that played their part throughout;  BB comes in 2nd here but the Walt, Jesse and Gus trio is better than any 3 from the Sopranos - to me the difference is the weak (IMO) female roles on BB and Walt Jr.;  the Wire has fantastic characters but I bump it down a little because of it being more ensemble and some of the best characters (Marlo) were not around for the duration
  • Storyline - Wire wins here as it is so realistic (or what I think of as realistic);  Sopranos next - I'm a sucker for a good mob/mafia show or movie and this fits the bill but there was a small amount of suspension of belief needed;  BB - I almost never watched the show because the premise seemed absurd to me.  I still find it fairly absurd but once you get past that it is just fantastic television
  • Acting - all 3 great, Tony Soprano may be the best character/acting job ever for me and Edie Falco was fantastic too.;  Cranston and the Gus/Mike duo puts BB next and I have the Wire last even though that's almost unfair as the acting in it was phenomenal too
  • Re-watchability - BB wins this one going away;  I think I've watched it all the way through 3 times - I do skip some of the Skylar and Marie stuff;  Sopranos is next although in a rewatch I find myself skipping over all the Meadow/AJ stuff, most of the Carmela/priest stuff and I even kind of find the Dr. Melfi stuff a little tiresome;  I've yet to re-watch the Wire and I'm not sure I will any time soon.  I just don't feel compelled to
  • Legacy - I think this one would have been close between BB and Sopranos with me probably giving the nod to the Sopranos but that was until Better Call Saul  - others may disagree but I think that gives BB a small boost - to have a spinoff as good as Saul is like a tiebreaker for me;  Sopranos next and Wire comfortably last on this one - there's little lore around the Wire, IMO
  • Seasons - I truly felt like BB didn't have a down season and it just seemed to build.  Some may say season 4 was better than 5 but some of the best television ever was in season 5 of BB;  Sopranos really had a couple rough seasons or half seasons for me.  The Wire just had a flat boring season in season 4 (or was it 3?) - one of my biggest issues with it is they completely ignore some of the best storylines in seasons 3, 4 and 5.  If every season of The Wire was as good as 1 and 2 then I probably would consider moving it above Sopranos
Lots of rambling to get to BB > Sopranos >> Wire

I've tried 3 times to get into the show, but still have not finished.  I represent the "I haven't seen the Wire yet but it's on my List" crowd. 
Not only was this me until I finally watched it all the way through but there's too many people on here and IRL that I've heard the same to rank it #1.  I almost never hear somebody say the same about BB or Sopranos. 

ETA - if Season 4 had been the first season of The Wire I doubt I finish the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my thinking on how I would ranks these 3

• Longevity is basically the same for all 3 so that's a wash
  • Peak - all 3 had the highest of peaks but for me BB just didn't have much low - it was consistently high level and for me, burned bright until the very end
  • Characters - I think Sopranos gets the nod here - fantastic, memorable characters that played their part throughout;  BB comes in 2nd here but the Walt, Jesse and Gus trio is better than any 3 from the Sopranos - to me the difference is the weak (IMO) female roles on BB and Walt Jr.;  the Wire has fantastic characters but I bump it down a little because of it being more ensemble and some of the best characters (Marlo) were not around for the duration
  • Storyline - Wire wins here as it is so realistic (or what I think of as realistic);  Sopranos next - I'm a sucker for a good mob/mafia show or movie and this fits the bill but there was a small amount of suspension of belief needed;  BB - I almost never watched the show because the premise seemed absurd to me.  I still find it fairly absurd but once you get past that it is just fantastic television
  • Acting - all 3 great, Tony Soprano may be the best character/acting job ever for me and Edie Falco was fantastic too.;  Cranston and the Gus/Mike duo puts BB next and I have the Wire last even though that's almost unfair as the acting in it was phenomenal too
  • Re-watchability - BB wins this one going away;  I think I've watched it all the way through 3 times - I do skip some of the Skylar and Marie stuff;  Sopranos is next although in a rewatch I find myself skipping over all the Meadow/AJ stuff, most of the Carmela/priest stuff and I even kind of find the Dr. Melfi stuff a little tiresome;  I've yet to re-watch the Wire and I'm not sure I will any time soon.  I just don't feel compelled to
  • Legacy - I think this one would have been close between BB and Sopranos with me probably giving the nod to the Sopranos but that was until Better Call Saul  - others may disagree but I think that gives BB a small boost - to have a spinoff as good as Saul is like a tiebreaker for me;  Sopranos next and Wire comfortably last on this one - there's little lore around the Wire, IMO
  • Seasons - I truly felt like BB didn't have a down season and it just seemed to build.  Some may say season 4 was better than 5 but some of the best television ever was in season 5 of BB;  Sopranos really had a couple rough seasons or half seasons for me.  The Wire just had a flat boring season in season 4 (or was it 3?) - one of my biggest issues with it is they completely ignore some of the best storylines in seasons 3, 4 and 5.  If every season of The Wire was as good as 1 and 2 then I probably would consider moving it above Sopranos
Lots of rambling to get to BB > Sopranos >> Wire
No way. Wire by far here. I think I've watched it through 4 times. 

BB's shock value goes away with subsequent viewings. 

No way. Wire by far here. I think I've watched it through 4 times. 

BB's shock value goes away with subsequent viewings. 
Your 2nd comment is totally fair and I would have to agree.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on the first part - as much as I like most of it I really don't have a desire to watch The Wire again - I'd watch BB for a 4th time before revisiting it.

Not only was this me until I finally watched it all the way through but there's too many people on here and IRL that I've heard the same to rank it #1.  I almost never hear somebody say the same about BB or Sopranos. 

ETA - if Season 4 had been the first season of The Wire I doubt I finish the show.
I'll get there someday, it's good to have goals...

All 3 shows will be in my greatest show of all time ranking, I would imagine (haven’t seen all the picks yet for that) so I will discuss them then. 

I would have had Saul & The Americans in my Top 3 (over The Wire & The Sopranos).

The best show I've seen that wasn't selected is Rectify. It was on the Sundance Channel, so it didn't get a lot of attention. I'm telling y'all: you should check it out. It may be too slow for some who want a bunch of bad-assed moments - it's more of a slow burn - but it's fantastic and has as good an acting ensemble as I've ever seen. The series is finished and it's only maybe 3 dozen episodes long, so not a ton of commitment.. 

I am curious to hear from the judges for that category:

How would Game of Thrones have fared in that drama category?

Was putting it in the horror a way to try to get maximum points for whoever drafted it?

Was putting it in the horror a way to try to get maximum points for whoever drafted it?
For me I don’t know if it cracks the top 4.  Last two seasons were a bit spotty and the last season was rushed.   Will be interesting to see how it holds up on a rewatch in a few years...

I also don’t think it’s horror so there’s that ...

I personally would have ranked it higher in drama than horror/supernatural.  I’d put it as #4 in drama, not a great fit in horror IMO. 

I would have put Saul ahead of Sopranos.

1. Wire

2. BB

3. Saul

4. Sopranos

Could it backfire as judges not seeing it as a true Horror?  (or supernatural for that matter).

For me I don’t know if it cracks the top 4.  Last two seasons were a bit spotty and the last season was rushed.   Will be interesting to see how it holds up on a rewatch in a few years...

I also don’t think it’s horror so there’s that ...
The category is horror / supernatural -- you don't think it qualifies as supernatural? Oookay

I guess probably higher than I originally thought in my mind.  My main focus was on the family drama, war, and politics.  But its not like there wasn't faceless assassins, red priests, and stupid Bran in the show.  

I guess probably higher than I originally thought in my mind.  My main focus was on the family drama, war, and politics.  But its not like there wasn't faceless assassins, red priests, and stupid Bran in the show.  
Dont foget the fire sword guy. 

I would have ranked it ahead of Northern Exposure, Law and Order, Ozark, House, the Americans, NYPD Blue, and maybe West Wing. So, middle of the pack for me. 

I'm pretty amazed that Fargo wasn't drafted but, again, this category was so deep.

Drama rankings are really good. My pick (NYPD Blue) finished right around where I figured. Happy about that - it was a good show, but definitely a tier or two below the top ones.

I agree with the top 3, and The Wire as #1. It's the best overall show. When you think of all the fantastic characters, over so many different professions... even the smaller ones stand out. 

Could it backfire as judges not seeing it as a true Horror?  (or supernatural for that matter).
As judge, I can tell you it's not going to be a surprise bottom tier finish (I mean, it's Game of Thrones, and it was excellent for most of its run) That said, this was one reason I asked for other's rankings.  

Got an early start to the weekend and I’m already on my second run and Coke. Might get crazy and do a Friday Night Rankings After Dark later tonight as I watch the Lakers/Clippers. Might forget about it too. Let’s see what the night has in store. 

I would have ranked it ahead of Northern Exposure, Law and Order, Ozark, House, the Americans, NYPD Blue, and maybe West Wing. So, middle of the pack for me. 

I'm pretty amazed that Fargo wasn't drafted but, again, this category was so deep.
Fargo and House of Cards were both high on my list of undrafted for this category. 

Drama rankings are really good. My pick (NYPD Blue) finished right around where I figured. Happy about that - it was a good show, but definitely a tier or two below the top ones.

I agree with the top 3, and The Wire as #1. It's the best overall show. When you think of all the fantastic characters, over so many different professions... even the smaller ones stand out. 
:yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U

I would have had Saul & The Americans in my Top 3 (over The Wire & The Sopranos).

The best show I've seen that wasn't selected is Rectify. It was on the Sundance Channel, so it didn't get a lot of attention. I'm telling y'all: you should check it out. It may be too slow for some who want a bunch of bad-assed moments - it's more of a slow burn - but it's fantastic and has as good an acting ensemble as I've ever seen. The series is finished and it's only maybe 3 dozen episodes long, so not a ton of commitment.. 
You recommended Rectify to me, and I thought it was very good. I watched it on Netflix.

Wondering how Friday Night Lights would have fared? 
This is the problem with the categories - too many good shows from the past 30 years.  Not enough from the first 20 years.
That's why the "cable era" needed to be split from the "streaming era". Two 15-year periods -- or, really, even three 10-year periods -- would've allowed for a lot of quality to be tapped. But I do understand that a 60-to-70-round draft might have seemed like much.

Wondering how Friday Night Lights would have fared? 
Would've been so hard to place -- I mean, I picked Northern Exposure for Pitchfork, and it only got the one point, sure ... but it's still hard for me to say that NE was a dog-poop show and didn't deserve a nod. Friday Night Lights might have struggled to get 5 points.

Users who are viewing this thread