What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (1 Viewer)

Leading Women 1950-1970

16 Pts Emma Peel

15 Pts Cinnamon Carter 

14 Pts Victoria Barclay 

13 Pts Julie Barnes 

12 Pts Nancy Hughes McCloskey 

11 Pts Elizabeth Collins Stoddard

10 Pts Constance MacKenzie 

9 Pts Althea Davis 

8 Pts Annie Oakley 

7 Pts Grace Sherwood

6 Pts Ellen Davis 

5 Pts Nora Charles 

4 Pts Honey West

3 Pts Allison MacKenzie 

2 Pts Della Street 

Leading Women 1951-1970

First off I need to apologize to everyone, because this was the worst category. I didn’t realize when I selected it that it would be so dearth of talent or memorable performances. The drafters (all except one) did what they could and gamely selected whoever they could come up with from failed shows, soap operas, westerns, long forgotten series etc. I can’t even call this category top heavy: let’s call it bottom heavy because the top picks here would not make it above 3-4 points in the later decade versions of this category. So again I’m sorry. We will start at 2 points- whoever made no selection gets zero. 

2 Pts Della Street Barbara Hale from Perry Mason she won an Emmy. Too bad it was for supporting actress. Wrong category, sorry. 

3 Pts Allison MacKenzie Mia Farrow from Peyton Place My pick. I chose Mia because she’s famous. But as it turns out I made the same error as Della Street; she’s a supporting character. She gets a bump over Della because she’s featured at times on the show, had her own character arc, etc. but she’s still not the star. So I have to place these two at the bottom no matter how awful their competitors (and they’re quite awful.) 
Yeah, this was an incredibly weak category. Seems there weren’t as many lead drama opportunities for women back then. 

KarmaPolice said:
You mean behind drama? ;)

I am glad that I didn't volunteer to judge.  Like I said, my initial reaction was that it didn't fit here, or not in the way the category was intended.  I thought the same for Twin Peaks too.  
Ha - sure.  Drama to me is just too broad anyway 

I chose The Simpsons as my GOAT.

here are some supporting tidbits, a show that can be watched by everyone in the Family and can be appreciated by all in their own way...

Nominated in this draft for Animated, Theme Song, Dad, Mom, Leading Man and Villain

Television critics Alan Sepinwall and Matt Zoller Seitz ranked The Simpsons as the greatest American TV series of all time in their 2016 book TV (The Book).

No. of seasons 32

No. of episodes 693  

Since its debut on December 17, 1989, 693 episodes of The Simpsons have been broadcast. It is the longest-running American sitcom, and the longest-running American scripted primetime television series, both in terms of seasons and number of episodes. A feature-length film, The Simpsons Movie, was released in theaters worldwide on July 27, 2007, and grossed over $527 million. On October 30, 2007, a video game was released. The Simpsons was renewed on February 6, 2019 for a thirty-first and thirty-second season.

The A.V. Club named it "television's crowning achievement regardless of format".[13] 

On January 14, 2000, the Simpson family was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It has won dozens of awards since it debuted as a series, including 34 Primetime Emmy Awards, 34 Annie Awards, and 2 Peabody Awards. Homer's exclamatory catchphrase "D'oh!" has been adopted into the English language, while The Simpsons has influenced many other later adult-oriented animated sitcoms.

The Simpsons has won dozens of awards since it debuted as a series, including 34 Primetime Emmy Awards,[73] 34 Annie Awards[209] and a Peabody Award.[210] In a 1999 issue celebrating the 20th century's greatest achievements in arts and entertainment, Time magazine named The Simpsons the century's best television series.[211] In that same issue, Time included Bart Simpson in the Time 100, the publication's list of the century's 100 most influential people.[212] Bart was the only fictional character on the list. On January 14, 2000, the Simpsons were awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.[213] Also in 2000, Entertainment Weekly magazine TV critic Ken Tucker named The Simpsonsthe greatest television show of the 1990s. Furthermore, viewers of the UK television channel Channel 4have voted The Simpsons at the top of two polls: 2001's 100 Greatest Kids' TV shows,[214] and 2005's The 100 Greatest Cartoons,[215] with Homer Simpson voted into first place in 2001's 100 Greatest TV Characters.[216] Homer also placed ninth on Entertainment Weekly's list of the "50 Greatest TV icons". In 2008 the show was placed in first on Entertainment Weekly's "Top 100 Shows of the Past 25 Years".[222] Empire named it the greatest TV show of all time.

1 --Yo Mama--226

2 --Tolstoy--211

3 --tuffnutt--179

4 --Zow--179

5 --Hov34--177

6 --mphtrilogy--177

7 --Gally Steiner--176

8 --timschochet--174

9 --jwb--173

10 -AcerFC--166

11 -KarmaPolice--165

12 -Mrs. Rannous--159

13 -Doug B--148

14 -rick6668--145

15 -Pitchfork--134

16 -TripleLayne--132

Reality Shows Rankings

Thanks to @mphtrilogy and @Yo Mama for helping judge what I thought at first would be an easy category.

Turns out it was, for me, much harder than I anticipated.  The Reality genre is a really broad playing field. You have competition shows,  food shows,  fashion shows, hidden camera/prank shows, voyeurism, or some combination. When ranking shows, awards played no part in my final decision, as that's not really what reality tv is about. I did take into account the shows cultural impact and the shows impact on the genre itself.  

Biggest omission was Cops. I wish I would have taken it. It would have finished top half of draft for me . Another favorite of mine is Deadliest Catch.

Bottom Tier: 

According to the judges, these three shows didn't have what it takes to score higher. I admit though if judge by a different clientele perhaps they would have been more popular.

16- Say Yes to the Dress (1 Point) 

Part bridal story, part fashion makeover and part family therapy session, ultimately this is just too much of a niche of a show to score any higher.

Judges score: 1, 1, 2

15- This Old House- (2 points)

TOH basically created the home improvement genre of reality tv. Many a viewer dreamed about buying and restoring an old home. I wish this one could have scored higher. 

Judges scores: 3, 3, 1

14- Keeping up with the Kardashians (3 points)

What does a sex tape with a rapper and a semi famous dad get you? Well if you are willing to exploit your "assets" It can get you one of the most watched reality shows. The Kardashian franchise is a multi billion dollar empire. But the show itself is scripted reality and the "Famous for being Famous" culture has lead to millions of people looking for social media fame, from Instagram models to social media influencers. Get a JOB! And get off my lawn!

Judges scores: 4, 5, 3   

Reality Shows Part 2

These shows had the most variance amongst the judges.  Personal preferences I guess.

13-Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (4 Points)

Guy Fieri hosts this reality food show, where he travels around from city to city sampling the best foods from local restaurants. Fieri's personality is what makes Triple D work. This show will take you to "Flavor town"

Judges Scores: 2, 7, 5

12- Big Brother (5 Points)

This is a social experiment meets reality game show. The series put a group of houseguests in an elaborate soundstage equipped with cameras and microphones to capture their lives 24-7 as they competed in challenges and evicted each other from the house, all whilst completely blocked off from the outside world. it has spawned several spin offs and has been copied in many countries.

Judges scores: 8, 2, 7

11- Jackass (6 points)

Imagine trying to explain Jackass to someone who never heard of the show or its concept. Its a bunch of grown men doing stupid ####. No, their is no cash prize, no there is no elimination, no winner. The joy this show is its just a bunch of friends doing crazy stunts and hidden camera pranks .Its also a show that could never be made today. It was a much simpler time.

Judges scores: 6, 4, 9 

Reality Shows Part 3

Middle of the pack shows, some good shows here but they fall just short of the top half

10- Shark Tank (7 points)

Aspiring entrepreneurs trying to get investors (the "sharks") to help fund their companies. Shark Tank is one of the best shows on TV for its uniqueness. You get to see what the entrepreneurs are bringing to the table, and seeing what the judges consider worthwhile investments. I find myself saying "why didn't I think of that" a lot of times. I think we all want to have that one ideas that makes us rich.

Judges scores: 7, 9, 4

9- The Bachalor (8 points)

If you ask my wife this show would be number 1. I must admit I've seen way too many episodes of this show. But its a great format for drama. Bring in a bunch of hot women who are vying for the love of a handsome bachelor. Add alcohol, group dates, and rose ceremonies who eliminate women and you got a recipe for good TV.

Judges scores: 9, 6, 6

8-  RuPaul's Drag Race- (9 points)

RuPaul’s Drag Race is part America’s Next Top Model, part American Idol, and part ‘90s ballroom competition. Between the Drama, trash talking and "shade queens" you find that the Drag Race contestants are true artists: people who create feats of fashion, make up, and hairstyling beyond most imaginations. Thrillist called Drag Race "the closest gay culture gets to a sports league."

Judges scores: 5, 8, 11

Reality Shows Part 4

Now we are starting to get to the big boys. These shows all were highly though of by our judges and were ranked as such.

7- Hard Knocks (10 points)

This show follows a National Football League  team through its training camp and covers the team's preparation for the upcoming football season. Its the first sports based reality tv show. It pulls back the curtain on life behind the scenes in the NFL and honestly what's not to love? 

Judges scores:10, 10, 10

6- The Amazing Race (11 points)

Traveling the world, experiencing different cultures, doing all kinds of challenges to reach a million-dollar jackpot? Yes please. 

Judges scores: 12, 13, 8

5- Candid Camera (12 Points)

"Smile, you're on Candid Camera. The Original hidden camera show. Started in 1948 and ran for over 50 years this show gave us a look at how people would respond to situations when they didn't know they were on camera and it was Hilarious.

Judges Scores: 11, 11, 12

I'm working on news personalities write-ups. If anyone else is interested in providing some co-rankings, feel free to send me a PM.

Reality Show Part 5

This group is the cream of the crop. These shows all have a more broad appeal and have had a huge pop culture impact.

4- Top Chef (13 points)

Top Chef was one of the first cooking shows in reality television, presenting us with aspiring chefs who go up against one another in culinary challenges. If you're a wanna be chef like me then this is your show.

Judges scores: 13, 15, 13

3- America Idol- (14 points)
American Idol was a pop culture phenomenon from its inception. A singing competition show that allowed the audience to be part of the judging, It was an immediate success. But its wasnt a show with just great singers, part of the fun was the early auditions that gave us the likes of William Hung and his "She bangs" rendition. This show also gave us Ryan Seacrest, Simon Cowell, and some outstanding pop stars like Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Chris Daughtry, and Fantasia Barrino. Idol remains one of the most successful reality franchises in history.  

Judges scores: 14, 14, 14

2- The Real World (15 points)

"This is the true story of seven strangers, picked to live in a loft and have their lives taped, to find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real.” In the summer of 1992 I had just graduated high school and I was enthralled with this show, with this concept of strangers living together and just having their daily lives filmed. It was an American mass culture phenomenon. For me this is where Reality TV was born. 

Judges Scores: 16, 12, 15

1- Survivor (16 points)

Survivor is arguably one of the most ambitious social experiments of its time. Pitting Groups against other groups in competitions and then having losing groups vote off member and then joining groups. Add in secret alliances and immunity idols and a million dollars and you have the makings of not only a great show but an amazing look into what we as humans will do to "Survive."  That first season was unlike anything we had ever seen on TV and it immediately became the biggest pop culture phenomenon of its day.

Judges scores: 15, 16, 16

1 --Yo Mama--240

2 --Tolstoy--213

3 --mphtrilogy--193

4 --Zow--187

5 --Gally Steiner--186

6 --tuffnutt--185

7 --jwb--185

8 --Hov34--181

9 --KarmaPolice--180

10 -timschochet--177

11 -AcerFC--173

12 -Mrs. Rannous--160

13 -rick6668--158

14 -Doug B--153

15 -Pitchfork--143

16 -TripleLayne--143

Reality Shows Final Points

16 pts- Survivor

15 pts- The Real World

14 pts- America Idol

13 pts- Top Chef

12 pts- Candid Camera

11 pts- The Amazing Race

10 pts- Hard Knocks

9 pts- RuPaul's Drag Race

8 pts- The Bachelor

7 pts- Shark Tank

6 pts- Jackass

5 pts- Big Brother

4 pts- Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

3 pts- Keeping up with the Kardashians

2 pts- This Old House

1 pt- Say yes to the  Dress

Reality Shows Final Points

16 pts- Survivor

15 pts- The Real World

14 pts- America Idol

13 pts- Top Chef

12 pts- Candid Camera

11 pts- The Amazing Race

10 pts- Hard Knocks

9 pts- RuPaul's Drag Race

8 pts- The Bachelor

7 pts- Shark Tank

6 pts- Jackass

5 pts- Big Brother

4 pts- Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

3 pts- Keeping up with the Kardashians

2 pts- This Old House

1 pt- Say yes to the  Dress
Great Job on these!   

I’ve got lots of points so far, but 12 of my top 20 picks have all been ranked already so I have a feeling my lead is going to start shrinking. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
The Greatest TV Holiday Specials of all time.

I have seen every one selected and many others.  I have a soft spot in my heart for these specials and most remind me of laying on the floor of my parents living room in front of the TV with the Fireplace roaring.  When I was a kid, you had to set aside time to catch these looking them up in the TV listing booklet that came with the Sunday paper, as they were run once per year.  Ranking were compiled from 3 judges, For me, the animated/claymation specials which geared directly towards kids ranked higher than other specials .  To rank high they needed to be nostalgic, have great songs and have a good message.

Rankin/Bass dominated the Holiday specials and they had 6 specials selected in this draft.  They also made all 6 of my honorable mentions which I will list at the end.
Who doesn't perk up when they hear this music?

Reality Shows Part 3

Middle of the pack shows, some good shows here but they fall just short of the top half

10- Shark Tank (7 points)

Aspiring entrepreneurs trying to get investors (the "sharks") to help fund their companies. Shark Tank is one of the best shows on TV for its uniqueness. You get to see what the entrepreneurs are bringing to the table, and seeing what the judges consider worthwhile investments. I find myself saying "why didn't I think of that" a lot of times. I think we all want to have that one ideas that makes us rich.

Judges scores: 7, 9, 4

9- The Bachalor (8 points)

If you ask my wife this show would be number 1. I must admit I've seen way too many episodes of this show. But its a great format for drama. Bring in a bunch of hot women who are vying for the love of a handsome bachelor. Add alcohol, group dates, and rose ceremonies who eliminate women and you got a recipe for good TV.

Judges scores: 9, 6, 6

8-  RuPaul's Drag Race- (9 points)

RuPaul’s Drag Race is part America’s Next Top Model, part American Idol, and part ‘90s ballroom competition. Between the Drama, trash talking and "shade queens" you find that the Drag Race contestants are true artists: people who create feats of fashion, make up, and hairstyling beyond most imaginations. Thrillist called Drag Race "the closest gay culture gets to a sports league."

Judges scores: 5, 8, 11
@Mr. Pickles please talk some sense into these judges. 

The Greatest TV Holiday Specials of all time - Part 1

16 - Perry Como's Christmas (1 pt)
"Merry Christmas and Welcome to our Christmas Show"

I ranked this the lowest and it's a shame because it's quite good.  I never watched any of these growing up and I watched a few for these rankings.  These specials that are more like variety shows and just didn't rank high for me, but I can see why others might rank them higher.

Popular singer, TV personality, and cardigan sweater lover Perry Como created the art form when he began hosting Christmas specials in 1948, a tradition he kept up until 1994.  His 1953 special aired in black-and-white on Christmas evening and is almost entirely one tight shot of him singing and reading to children sitting at his feet. Over the years his specials evolved alongside television itself, and the 1974 special is colorful in more ways than one. He welcomes The Carpenters as musical guests and has Peggy Fleming do an ice skating routine. (This is a trend in holiday specials of a certain era: The host takes a break from the action to spotlight a famous figure skater on a rink that, we are left to assume, has always simply existed on the host’s property.)
Really great seeing him duet with Karen Carpenter

Fun Fact:
The 1986 Christmas Special from San Antonio marks the final network broadcast of Perry's annual Christmas show, a tradition which began in 1948.

(Individual rankings - 1/4/2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless anyone wants to do it I can organize the 91-20 Leading Woman Comedy category. 

All rankings are welcome (drafters and non drafters alike) - ship them my way whenever you can. The more the merrier, should be a tough category with lots of great selections. 

The Greatest TV Holiday Specials of all time - Part 2

15 - **** Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve (2 pts)
"5..4..3..2..1..Happy New Year"

Although this is a Holiday Special and people watch every year, there is no re-play ability.  No one re-watches this and no one looks forward to it's broadcast each year, it's just something that you turn on to watch the ball drop at the party you are at. I had this ranked a 2 and that's where it finished with the other ranking factored in.

**** Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve is an annual New Year's Eve television special broadcast by ABC. The special broadcasts primarily from New York City's Times Square and prominently features coverage of its annual ball drop event, along with live and pre-recorded musical performances by popular musicians from Times Square and Hollywood, in addition to live performances and coverage of festivities from New Orleans.
Last Minute Countdown

Fun Facts:
From 1929 to 1976, the major player in the New Year’s Eve broadcast game was bandleader Guy Lombardo, to the point that Lombardo’s nickname had long been “Mr. New Year’s Eve.” In the ’70s, however, **** Clark had begun to wonder if Lombardo’s big band festivities had failed to capture younger audiences. “Guy was the only choice for the older generation,” Clark recalled in an interview. “That’s why we put Rockin’ in the title – to let everybody know this was going to be a different approach It wasn’t the Waldorf-Astoria with the people dancing cheek-to-jowl in their tuxedos and funny hats.”
**** Clark wasn’t the first host.  Rockin’ New Year’s Eve actually began as a spinoff to Clark’s other show, American Bandstand, and the inaugural 1973 broadcast was officially hosted by the band Three Dog Night, not Clark himself. Musical guests included Helen Reddy and Al Green.  

(Individual rankings - 2/1/5)

1971-1990 Leading Man Comedy

If anyone would like to send in their ranking to be used to help me on this one, that would be awesome.  Should start working on this tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Greatest TV Holiday Specials of all time - Part 3

14 - 'Twas the Night Before Christmas (3 pts)
"Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night"

I gave this a 6, I really like this one but the other Judges had it lower (One gave it a 1).   I try to catch this every year, if you haven't seen it, give it a chance.

This has 2 really good songs in 
"Even a Miracle Needs a Hand"

and "Christmas Chimes are Calling"

'Twas the Night Before Christmas is a 1974 animated Christmas television special produced by Rankin/Bass Productions and based on the famous 1823 poem that opens with this line.  The special first originally aired on CBS on December 8, 1974 where it aired annually until 1994, when The Family Channel (now Freeform) took over its syndication rights. AMC took over syndication rights for the special in 2018.

Fun Fact:
"Even a Miracle Needs a Hand" later appeared on South Park in the Season 4 episode "A Very Crappy Christmas". Similar to its use in the original special, the song is sung by Kyle to Stan and Kenny during a seemingly hopeless situation. At one point, Joshua Trundle's face is even superimposed over Kyle's face.

(Individual rankings - 6/3/1)

1971-1990 Leading Man Comedy

If anyone would like to send in their ranking to be used to help me on this one, that would be awesome.  Should start working on this tonight.
Two sent lists which is great.   If anyone want to send their's in, I'll give that one more hour, then I'll post the rankings.

I guess I did. I’m dumb at times (lots of times!) What was the point? 
The show is called "Lassie".  The dog was played by Pal and his male offspring.

I have no idea how a character called "Lassie" could be mistaken for a male.  Seriously?
I'm confused.  I thought Tim was commenting on the Mom of the show for the leading actress category, saying that she wasn't even the top female character on the show (which would be Lassie, a female character played by a male).  So I think you are saying the same thing but I'm just not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread