What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (1 Viewer)

TV Theme Final Rankings

Judging is hard and this category is 100% subjective as no Emmy wins etc to move the needle..  so its based on individual preference and even with multiple judges there will be plenty of arguments and all criticisms are valid imho.  We tried our best and hope everyone takes it in good fun...  but one thing we can all agree on is Cheers was a great theme song...

Final Rankings/Points

Cheers    16
Mission Impossible    15
Hawaii 5-0    14
Greatest American hero    13
I'll be there for you (Friends)    12
Fresh Prince    11
Peter Gunn    10
MASH    9
Moving on Up (Jeffersons)    8
Rockford    7
Hill Street    6
Jeopardy 5
Andy Griffith    4
Simpsons    3
Moonlighting    2
Davey Crockett    1

TV Theme Final Rankings

Judging is hard and this category is 100% subjective as no Emmy wins etc to move the needle..  so its based on individual preference and even with multiple judges there will be plenty of arguments and all criticisms are valid imho.  We tried our best and hope everyone takes it in good fun...  but one thing we can all agree on is Cheers was a great theme song...

Final Rankings/Points
Nice Job!

1971-1990 Supporting Man Rankings – Part 3

The Supporting All-Stars / Superstars

I tried to break this huge group of incredible characters into more tiers, but there is crazy star quality here.  Such a deep, deep list of supporting characters.  Some of my favorite characters in all of television.

9 - Corp. "Radar" O'Reilly (8 pts)

Played by Gary Burghoff on M*A*S*H - 7 Emmy nominations, with 1 win

(Individual rankings - 7/9/10)

8 - Norm Peterson (9 pts)

Played by George Wendt on Cheers - 6 Emmy nominations, with 0 wins

(Individual rankings - 9/5/12)

7 - Arthur Fonzerelli (10 pts)

Played by Henry Winkler on Happy Days - 3 Emmy nominations, with 0 wins (for lead)

(Individual rankings - 12/14/4)

6 - Reverend Jim Ignatowski (11 pts)

Played by Christopher Lloyd on Taxi - 2 Emmy nominations, with 2 wins

(Individual rankings - 11/10/13)

5 - Ted Baxter (12 pts)

Played by Ted Knight on The Mary Tyler Moore Show - 6 Emmy nominations, with 2 wins

(Individual rankings - 13/11/11)

4 - Michael Stivic (13 pts)

Played by Rob Reiner on All in the Family - 5 Emmy nominations, with 2 wins

(Individual rankings - 10/12/14)

*** Best bargain in the rankings (tied) – was the 12th selection in this category ***

3 - Louie De Palma (14 pts)

Played by Danny DeVito on Taxi - 4 Emmy nominations, with 1 win

(Individual rankings - 14/15/8)

*** Best bargain in the rankings (tied) – was the 11th selection in this category ***

2 - Dan Fielding (15 pts)

Played by John Larroquette on Night Court - 4 Emmy nominations, with 4 wins

(Individual rankings - 15/13/16)

1 - Lou Grant (16 pts)

Played by Ed Asner on The Mary Tyler Moore Show - 7 Emmy nominations, with 3 wins

(Individual rankings - 16/16/15)

1971-1990 Supporting Man Final Rankings

16 pts - Lou Grant (#1)

15 pts - Dan Fielding (#2)

14 pts - Louie De Palma (#3)

13 pts - Michael Stivic (#4)

12 pts - Ted Baxter (#5)

11 pts - Reverend Jim Ignatowski (#6)

10 pts - Arthur Fonzerelli (#7)

9 pts - Norm Peterson (#8)

8 pts - Corp. "Radar" O'Reilly (#9)

7 pts - Dr. Victor Ehrlich (#10)

6 pts - Dr. Johnny Fever (#11)

5 pts - Maj. Charles Emerson Winchester III (#12)

4 pts - Jonathan Higgins (#13)

3 pts - John Boy Walton (#14)

2 pts - Roscoe P. Coltrane (#15)

1 pts - Data (#16)

16 pts - Lou Grant (#1)

12 pts - Ted Baxter (#5)

1 pts - Data (#16)
Good work!

15 - Roscoe P. Coltrane (2 pts)

Played by Bruce Atkins on Dukes of Hazzard - 0 Emmy nominations, with 0 wins

(Individual rankings - 2/1/3)

*** Biggest faller in the rankings – was the 7th selection in this category ***
He was not played by Bruce Atkins, but by James Best.

I didn’t anticipate awards weighing quite so heavily.

As a UDFA supporting man, I'd go for Humphrey Appleby (played by Nigel Hawthorne) from Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister (maybe he falls more in Lead, but I think Hacker/Eddington was more the lead).  

He was awesome. Easily carried a really good show. 4 Emmy wins agrees. 
Is this all people remember of Night Court these days? A one-character show? Really?

To me, Dan Fielding is memorable because Laroquette was so over-the-top with his portrayal. Not because the other characters were empty shells.

Yet again, I’m living in a different pop-culture universe than everyone else   :kicksrock:  

He was not played by Bruce Atkins, but by James Best.

I didn’t anticipate awards weighing quite so heavily.
I'm not factoring them into actor/actress rankings so much, since the character was selected, not the actor.  Of course, how good/memorable the character was has some connection to the acting, but not entirely.  But it seems most people are taking awards into account much more heavily.

As a UDFA supporting man, I'd go for Humphrey Appleby (played by Nigel Hawthorne) from Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister (maybe he falls more in Lead, but I think Hacker/Eddington was more the lead).  
good thing i wasnt in this, cuz my supporting guy would have been Dennis Franz's characters in Hill Street Blues (he played an evil cop so well that they hired him back - and spun him off - as a good cop, then reprised him as Sipowicz on NYPD Blue) and, if Dan Fielding got like 11 more pts than Norman Buntz, i woulda found a way to break into this forum and splash a lady-astronaut pee bottle over everything...

Is this all people remember of Night Court these days? A one-character show? Really?

To me, Dan Fielding is memorable because Laroquette was so over-the-top with his portrayal. Not because the other characters were empty shells.

Yet again, I’m living in a different pop-culture universe than everyone else   :kicksrock:  
Yeah my phrasing probably wasn’t best. It wasn’t a slight on the other characters, but to me he was the most memorable character and provided a large part of the comedy in that show as the two leads were both more of the “straight-man” characters. 

I'm not factoring them into actor/actress rankings so much, since the character was selected, not the actor.  Of course, how good/memorable the character was has some connection to the acting, but not entirely.  But it seems most people are taking awards into account much more heavily.
For me (not speaking for other judges) I used awards as part of my rankings to serve as a bit of a baseline / consensus view so it wasn’t all just my personal opinion driving everything. 

For me (not speaking for other judges) I used awards as part of my rankings to serve as a bit of a baseline / consensus view so it wasn’t all just my personal opinion driving everything. 
I can see that for shows, but for characters it’s less clear to me, as I described, whether acting awards matter.

Also, my personal opinion has been scientifically proven to be better than anyone else’s.  

The problem is,  The Theme song is for the opening of the show, not the music the plays during final Jeopardy. 

Since Jeopardy! debuted in 1964, the series has had different theme songs.

https://jeopardyhistory.fandom.com/wiki/Jeopardy!_Music

This theme below with Alex hosting doesn't even have the "Think" music. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pv4gVBNDDA&ab_channel=Thefamilyalbum
The category as listed on Page 1 said nothing about it being the opening theme song or that it had to be an opening at all.  It just says Theme Song and everyone knows the Jeopardy theme song.  So that really isn't a problem.

Final Rankings/Points

Cheers    16
Mission Impossible    15
Hawaii 5-0    14
Greatest American hero    13
I'll be there for you (Friends)    12
Fresh Prince    11
Peter Gunn    10
MASH    9
Moving on Up (Jeffersons)    8
Rockford    7
Hill Street    6
Jeopardy 5
Andy Griffith    4
Simpsons    3
Moonlighting    2
Davey Crockett    1
Really nice!  Minor quibbles only.  I'd have Fresh Prince and MASH above Friends and Jeopardy and Andy Griffith above Rockford.  Moonlighting would have been last.

I'm sure others posted but for theme songs I would have liked to see Miami Vice, Green Acres, Gilligan's Island, the Munsters, the Adams Family, and the Brady Bunch.  Man they don't do TV Theme songs like that any more.  I can sing (or hum) all those songs today and it has been decades since I've seen some of those shows.  Guilty pleasure theme song:  Golden Girls :bag:

Really nice!  Minor quibbles only.  I'd have Fresh Prince and MASH above Friends and Jeopardy and Andy Griffith above Rockford.  Moonlighting would have been last.

I'm sure others posted but for theme songs I would have liked to see Miami Vice, Green Acres, Gilligan's Island, the Munsters, the Adams Family, and the Brady Bunch.  Man they don't do TV Theme songs like that any more.  I can sing (or hum) all those songs today and it has been decades since I've seen some of those shows.  Guilty pleasure theme song:  Golden Girls :bag:
I can't even think of what the Moonlighting theme song is, so that seems like it should be low.

The one that stood out to me on this list was Friends being unbelievably high, but since three of four judges seemed to agree (except good ol' Judge #3), I felt like an outlier.

How you people didn't choose Sanford and Son should bring shame to you and your progeny, though.

I can't even think of what the Moonlighting theme song is, so that seems like it should be low.

The one that stood out to me on this list was Friends being unbelievably high, but since three of four judges seemed to agree (except good ol' Judge #3), I felt like an outlier.

How you people didn't choose Sanford and Son should bring shame to you and your progeny, though.
I personally don't like that one either (well that's too strong, it was meh), but it was a huge popular sensation and I didn't read the rules, so I wasn't sure if that had some weight to it.  And Sanford and Son is definitely one I should have included in the missed list.  Welcome Back Kotter as well now that I think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

16 pts - Lou Grant (#1)

12 pts - Ted Baxter (#5)

1 pts - Data (#16)
More opinions no one asked for!  This has been a fun read, I wish I would have been around at the start.

You are right, lots of stars here. Data getting a 1 is criminal.  Personally I think my list would have looked more like this. 

• The Fonz
  • Rev Jim
  • Ted Baxter
  • Norm
  • Louie DePalma
  • Lou Grant
  • Data
  • Fever
  • Fielding
  • Radar
  • Meathead
  • Roscoe
  • Higgins
  • Dr. Erlich
  • John Boy
  • Winchester

Yeah my phrasing probably wasn’t best. It wasn’t a slight on the other characters, but to me he was the most memorable character and provided a large part of the comedy in that show as the two leads were both more of the “straight-man” characters. 
For all that over-the-topness, he was the one with the most subtle moments.

The Andy Griffith Theme should be higher.

Davy Crockett just isn't that good, Wikkid.  I remember watching that show.  The Lone Ranger Theme was better.  So is the Ballad of Jed Clampett.

And so is the theme to Battlestar Galactica.  And Barnaby Jones, for that matter.  It's by Jerry Goldsmith.

Also no Gilligan's Island?  Really?

:wub:

Friends was a great show, just didn't think the theme was better than the top tier.  When I hear Hawaii Five 0, I can see the waves crashing and Diamond head,  when I hear Cheers, I can see the old drawings or classic bar scenes and people drinking and the We Win newspaper,  When I hear Mission Impossible, I can see the match being lit and all the quick action sequences, when I hear Greatest American Hero, I can see the flying saucer sending a light down and Ralph in the red suit crashing into stuff.

I had MASH higher than others as it was more iconic to me.

Gilligan's Island, the Munsters, the Adams Family, the Brady Bunch and Sanford and Son were all on my list, but Rockford Files just does it for me.  The phone ringing, the solitaire game on the table and the answering machine.  The Hollywood and Los Angeles signs.  These things just flash through my mind, besides the catchy tune.

Comment for the Rockford Theme on youtube:

"If I close my eyes I feel like im sitting in the living room of the house I grew up in with my dad again and time has stood still!"  That's what this does for me.

Sports Personalities - Tier 6

14 POINTS - Howard Cosell

Cosell was widely known for his blustery, confident personality. Cosell said of himself, "Arrogant, pompous, obnoxious, vain, cruel, verbose, a showoff. There's no question that I'm all of those things." when he was nicknamed Humble Howard by Buffalo Bills. In its obituary for Cosell, The New York Times described Cosell's effect on American sports coverage:

He entered sports broadcasting in the mid-1950s, when the predominant style was unabashed adulation,  offered a brassy counterpoint that was first ridiculed, then copied until it became the dominant note of sports broadcasting.

Introduction to broadcasting

Cosell represented the Little League of New York, when in 1953, Hal Neal (president ABC Radio), then an ABC Radio manager, asked him to host a show on New York flagship WABC featuring Little League participants. The show marked the beginning of a relationship with WABC and ABC Radio that would last his entire broadcasting career.

Cosell hosted the Little League show for three years without pay, and then decided to leave the law to become a full-time broadcaster. He approached Robert Pauley, President of ABC Radio, with a proposal for a weekly show. Pauley told him the network could not afford to develop untried talent, but he would be put on the air if he would get a sponsor. To Pauley's surprise, Cosell came back with a relative's shirt company as a sponsor, and "Speaking of Sports" was born.

Cosell took his "tell it like it is" approach when he teamed with the ex–Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher "Big Numba Thirteen" Ralph Branca on WABC's pre- and post-game radio shows of the New York Mets in their nascent years beginning in 1962. He pulled no punches in taking members of the hapless expansion team to task.

Otherwise on radio, Cosell did his show, Speaking of Sports, as well as sports reports and updates for affiliated radio stations around the country; he continued his radio duties even after he became prominent on television. Cosell then became a sports anchor at WABC-TV in New York, where he served in that role from 1961 to 1974. He expanded his commentary beyond sports to a radio show entitled Speaking of Everything.

Monday Night Football

In 1970, ABC executive producer for sports Roone Arledge hired Cosell to be a commentator for Monday Night Football (MNF), the first time in 15 years that American football was broadcast weekly in prime time. Cosell was accompanied most of the time by ex-football players Frank Gifford and "Dandy" Don Meredith.

Cosell was openly contemptuous of ex-athletes appointed to prominent sportscasting roles solely on account of their playing fame. He regularly clashed on-air with Meredith, whose laid-back style was in sharp contrast to Cosell's more critical approach to the games.

The Cosell-Meredith-Gifford dynamic helped make Monday Night Football a success; it frequently was the number one rated program in the Nielsen ratings. Cosell's inimitable style distinguished Monday Night Football from previous sports programming, and ushered in an era of more colorful broadcasters and 24/7 TV sports coverage.

It was during his MNF run that Cosell coined a phrase that came to be so identified with football that other announcers and spectators—notably Chris Berman—began to repeat it. An ordinary kickoff return began with Cosell giving commentary about a player's difficult life. It became extraordinary when he suddenly observed, "He could go all the way!" As evidenced by the thousands of websites that cite Cosell's quote, many sports commentators consider this to be one of the most famous sports quips of all time.

Also during his MNF run, after a 4 September 1978 NFL game, Cosell popularized the term "nachos".

Olympics

Along with Monday Night Football, Cosell worked the Olympics for ABC. He played a key role on ABC's coverage of the Palestinian terror group Black September's mass murder of Israeli athletes in Munich at the 1972 Summer Olympics; providing reports directly from the Olympic Village (his image can be seen and voice heard in Steven Spielberg's film about the terror attack).

In the 1976 Summer Games in Montreal, and the 1984 games in Los Angeles, Cosell was the main voice for boxing. Sugar Ray Leonard won the gold medal in his light welterweight class at Montreal, beginning his meteoric rise to a world professional title three years later. Cosell became close to Leonard, during this period, announcing many of his fights.

Tier 6 

15 POINTS - Bob Uecker

Facetiously dubbed "Mr. Baseball" by TV talk show host Johnny Carson, Uecker has served as a play-by-play announcer for Milwaukee Brewers radio broadcasts since 1971. He was honored by the National Baseball Hall of Fame with its 2003 Ford C. Frick Award in recognition of his broadcasting career.

Get up! Get up! Get outta here! Gone!

I must be in the front row!

"Juuust a bit outside"

Uecker made his Major League Baseball debut as a catcher in 1962. A below-average hitter, he finished with a career batting average of .200. 

After retiring as a player, Uecker returned to Milwaukee. In 1971, he began calling play-by-play for the Milwaukee Brewers' radio broadcasts, a position he holds to this day. During his tenure, he has mentored Pat Hughes, Jim Powell, Cory Provus and Joe Block, all of whom became primary radio announcers for other MLB teams. For several years he also served as a color commentator for network television broadcasts of Major League Baseball, helping call games for ABC in the 1970s and early 80s and NBC (teaming with Bob Costas and Joe Morgan) in the 1990s. During that time, he was a commentator for several League Championship Series and World Series.

Uecker's sports expertise extends beyond baseball. He hosted two syndicated television shows, Bob Uecker's Wacky World of Sports and Bob Uecker's War of the Stars. The former has since become known as The Lighter Side of Sports (albeit with a different host, Mike Golic) and remains one of the longest-running syndicated sports programs in American television history.

Humor

Known for his humor, particularly about his undistinguished playing career, Uecker actually became much better known after he retired from playing. He made some 100 guest appearances on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. During one Tonight Show appearance, Carson asked him what the biggest thrill of his professional baseball career was and with his typical dry wit Uecker replied, "Watching a fan fall out of the upper deck in Philadelphia; the crowd booed." Most of his wisecracks poked fun at himself. He once joked that after he hit a grand slam off pitcher Ron Herbel, "When his manager came out to get him, he was bringing Herbel's suitcase." On another occasion, he quipped, "Sporting goods companies would pay me not to endorse their products." On his later acting career, he commented, "Even when I played baseball, I was acting."

Uecker also appeared in a number of humorous commercials, most notably for Miller Lite beer, as one of the "Miller Lite All-Stars".

Uecker authored two books, an autobiography titled Catcher in the Wry, and Catch 222.

Acting roles

Uecker has had a number of acting roles in ads, TV shows and movies.

He played the character of father and sportswriter George Owens on the 1985-1990 sitcom Mr. Belvedere, appearing regularly.

He also appeared in a series of Miller Lite commercials starting in the 1980s. In one commercial from that decade, Uecker was seen preparing to watch a baseball game when an usher informs him he is in the wrong seat. Uecker pompously remarks, "I must be in the front row", which became another of his catchphrases. The punch line was that Uecker's seat was actually in the nosebleed section. Since then, the farthest seats from the action in some arenas and stadiums have been jokingly called "Uecker seats".There is a section of $1 seating called the "Uecker seats" at Miller Park, which is an obstructed-view area in the upper grandstand above home plate where the stadium's roof pivot comes together (in reference to one of his Miller Lite commercials). Another of Uecker's catchphrases from the aforementioned Miller Lite 'front row' commercial is, "He missed the tag!" which he yells with confidence from his seat in the top row of the upper deck of the stadium, far away from the action.

Uecker made cameo appearances as himself in the films O.C. and Stiggs,[and Fatal Instinct, and in episodes of the sitcoms Who's the Boss?,D.C. Follies,and LateLine.He was the voice of the "head of Bob Uecker" in the Futurama episode "A Leela of Her Own".

Another prominent role was as Harry Doyle, the broadcaster for the Cleveland Indians, in the Major League film trilogy.In the movies, Uecker's character is known for his witticisms and his tendency to become intoxicated from drinking during losing games, as well as downplaying poor play by the team for the radio audience: for example, in the first film he also coins another popular sports catchphrase "Juuust a bit outside", to downplay an extremely wild pitch from Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn. Uecker received the role not because of his broadcasting history with the Brewers but because of his popular Miller Lite commercials.

Only one other used his personality to achieve more success IMO.

16 POINTS - John Madden

* 30 years on all four networks. Madden worked as a color analyst for all four major networks: CBS (1979–1993), Fox (1994–2001), ABC (2002–2005), and NBC (2006–2008).

* Raiders coach 69-78

* Elevated to the network's top football broadcasting duo with Pat Summerall in 1981. The team of Madden and Summerall would go on to call eight Super Bowls together (five for CBS and three for Fox).

* In 2002, Madden became a commentator on ABC's Monday Night Football, working with longtime play-by-play announcer Al Michaels. Madden reportedly made $5 million per year.

* John Madden has lent his voice, personality, and name to the Madden NFL series of football video games, published by EA Sports/Electronic Arts since 1988. Entries in the series have consistently been best-sellers, to the extent that they have even spawned TV shows featuring competition between players of the games. Despite Madden's retirement as a broadcaster in 2009, he still continues to lend his name and provide creative input to the series, which is so popular that he is better known as the face of Madden than as a Super Bowl-winning coach and broadcaster.

* In 1984, Madden took the advice of NFL coach John Robinson—a friend of Madden since elementary school—and created the "All-Madden" team, a group of players who Madden thought represented football and played the game the way he thought it should be played. Madden continued to pick the All-Madden team through the 2001 season when he left to move to ABC and Monday Night Football. Madden added his "Haul of Fame" for his favorite players,

Television

From 1979 through 2008, Madden worked as a color commentator/analyst on NFL games for all four major American television networks.

CBS Sports

After working lower profile contests for CBS during his years, he was elevated to the network's top football broadcasting duo with Pat Summerall in 1981, replacing Tom Brookshier. Prior to teaming with Summerall on CBS, Madden was paired with a variety of announcers, such as **** Stockton, Frank Glieber and Gary Bender. The team of Madden and Summerall would go on to call eight Super Bowls together (five for CBS and three for Fox). On occasions in which Summerall was unavailable (during the CBS years, Summerall was normally scheduled to commentate on the U.S. Open tennis tournament during the early weeks of the NFL season), Madden would team with the likes of Vin Scully and subsequently, Verne Lundquist. On their final CBS telecast together (the NFC Championship Game on January 23, 1994), Madden told Summerall that while CBS may no longer have the NFL (for the time being, as CBS would eventually regain NFL rights in 1998 by outbidding NBC for the rights to AFC telecasts), at least they have the memories. On ABC's final Monday Night Football telecast in 2005, Madden used a similar choice of words.

Fox Sports

When the Fox Network gained the rights to NFC games in 1994, CBS employees became free agents. Madden was the biggest star in football broadcasting, and Fox, ABC, and NBC made offers higher than the $2 million a year maximum for sportscaster salaries; NBC's owner General Electric offered to make Madden its "worldwide spokesman", and GE Rail would build for him a luxury train. After he almost joined ABC, Madden and Summerall joined Fox's NFL coverage, giving the network credibility to broadcast what Rupert Murdoch called "the crown jewel of all sports programming in the world". Madden's contract paid him more annually than any NFL player. However, Fox was reportedly losing an estimated $4.4 billion on its NFL contract for the eight-year deal it signed in 1998, and it had been trying to cut programming costs as a result. Madden's Fox contract would have been worth $8 million for 2003. His last job at Fox was for Super Bowl XXXVI in February 2002.

ABC Sports

In 2002, Madden became a commentator on ABC's Monday Night Football, working with longtime play-by-play announcer Al Michaels. Madden reportedly made $5 million per year.

NBC Sports

In 2005, **** Ebersol, president of NBC Sports, announced that Madden would do color commentary for NBC's Sunday night NFL games beginning with the 2006 season, making him the first sportscaster to have worked for all of the "Big Four" U.S. broadcast television networks. Madden also reached the milestone of calling the Super Bowl on all of the "Big Four" broadcast networks when he appeared on the 2009 broadcast of Super Bowl XLIII. On October 13, 2008, NBC announced that Madden would not be traveling to the October 19 Sunday Night Football Seattle Seahawks–Tampa Bay Buccaneers game in Tampa, Florida, marking the end of Madden's 476-weekend streak of consecutive broadcast appearances. Madden, who travels by bus, decided to take the week off because he had traveled from Jacksonville to San Diego, and would have had to go back to Florida before returning to his Northern California home. Madden was replaced by Football Night in America studio analyst Cris Collinsworth for the game,and returned for the following telecast on November 2, 2008, in Indianapolis (until 2010 the NFL did not schedule Sunday night games for one week in October, so as not to overlap with the World Series taking place roughly around the same time). Madden called his final game on February 1, 2009, for Super Bowl XLIII between the Arizona Cardinals and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Madden announced his official retirement from the broadcasting booth on April 16, 2009.[1] He was replaced by former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Cris Collinsworth.

“Madden NFL 21 debuts as the No. 6 best-selling game year to date. This is the 21st consecutive year that a Madden NFL franchise release has the best-selling game in its release month. Madden NFL is the best-selling sports (and third best-selling overall) video game franchise in U.S. history.”Sep 14, 2020

John Madden--16

Bob Uecker--15

Howard Cossell--14

Chris Berman--13

Bob Costas--12

Jim McKay--11

Dan Patrick--10

Jim Lampley--9

John Facenda--8

**** Vitale--7

Terry Bradshaw--6

Charles Barkley--5

Leslie Visser--4

Erin Andrews--3

Stephen A Smith--2

John McEnroe--1

The Andy Griffith Theme should be higher.

Davy Crockett just isn't that good, Wikkid.  I remember watching that show.  The Lone Ranger Theme was better.  So is the Ballad of Jed Clampett.

And so is the theme to Battlestar Galactica.  And Barnaby Jones, for that matter.  It's by Jerry Goldsmith.

Also no Gilligan's Island?  Really?
whaddauknow?! you're a girl. you didn't have the hat.... *drags musket home glumly*

I can’t put Uecker over Cosell. Madden maybe though I wouldn’t. But Uecker no way. 
I picked Howard, so I somewhat agree, but it's not terrible. I like the top 3. You could argue that Uecker had more everyman appeal (commercials, movies, etc).  

I can’t put Uecker over Cosell. Madden maybe though I wouldn’t. But Uecker no way. 
Getzlaf's rankings are a clear demonstration of your "let the judge sort it out" position. When this category was proposed, I immediately read it as "Sports Media Personalities" and regarded Cosell, McCay, Costas, and Berman as strong representations of the archetype. More people who covered sports journalistically -- especially a broad range -- and less people who called games, or people who worked in a narrow niche.

Following this reasoning -- as iconic as his voice is -- Facenda would've been my one-pointer. Getzlaf's 11-through-14-points tier, to me, is the easy top four with Cosell the chalky 16-pointer. John Madden is a huge icon even though he hasn't really transcended football -- for me he's slide in around the middle.

At first, I didn't think Bob Eucker was all that solid of a pick. But the more I thought about the different angles he's worked in television (broadcaster, sports-themed variety programming, The Tonight ShowMr. Belvedere, commercials), the better he looked. Somewhere in the middle works for him, too.

Getzlaf's rankings are a clear demonstration of your "let the judge sort it out" position. When this category was proposed, I immediately read it as "Sports Media Personalities" and regarded Cosell, McCay, Costas, and Berman as strong representations of the archetype. More people who covered sports journalistically -- especially a broad range -- and less people who called games, or people who worked in a narrow niche.

Following this reasoning -- as iconic as his voice is -- Facenda would've been my one-pointer. Getzlaf's 11-through-14-points tier, to me, is the easy top four with Cosell the chalky 16-pointer. John Madden is a huge icon even though he hasn't really transcended football -- for me he's slide in around the middle.

At first, I didn't think Bob Eucker was all that solid of a pick. But the more I thought about the different angles he's worked in television (broadcaster, sports-themed variety programming, The Tonight ShowMr. Belvedere, commercials), the better he looked. Somewhere in the middle works for him, too.
I don’t think it’s accurate to say John Madden hasn’t transcended football. He was big in the early Miller Lite commercials, he’s had the biggest selling sports video game for forever (and most kids only know him for that), and Frank Caliendo made a whole career out of impersonating him even years after Madden retired as an announcer.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say John Madden hasn’t transcended football. He was big in the early Miller Lite commercials, he’s had the biggest selling sports video game for forever (and most kids only know him for that), and Frank Caliendo made a whole career out of impersonating him even years after Madden retired as an announcer.
Madden views the game as an educational tool. During initial planning conversations with Electronic Arts founder Trip Hawkins in 1984, Madden envisioned the program as a tool for teaching and testing plays. He stated in 2012 that Madden NFL was "a way for people to learn the game [of football] and participate in the game at a pretty sophisticated level".

Madden views the game as an educational tool. During initial planning conversations with Electronic Arts founder Trip Hawkins in 1984, Madden envisioned the program as a tool for teaching and testing plays. He stated in 2012 that Madden NFL was "a way for people to learn the game [of football] and participate in the game at a pretty sophisticated level".
I’ll never forget watching Madden many years ago and Summerall (I assume) used a big, not so common word to describe something.  I #### you not, Madden goes “that’s a big word, like mayonnaise”.   :lmao:  

Users who are viewing this thread