What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rush Limbaugh (1 Viewer)

pantherclub

Footballguy
So apparently its terminal and appears imminent.  I will be the first one to tell you that cancer sucks and eff cancer and all that.  But my problem here is that there seems to be no self reflection, no compassion even at the end, he is being a soldier to the bitter end.  I mean he is still going hard after Biden and his son (which obviously is ironic) .  I mean I guess if I was staring at the end I still wouldnt be doing my shtick and maybe just broadening my horizons a bit and not still hammer on Republicans good democrats bad.  

Just seems really odd to me   

While I rarely agreed with him, I have to give him credit for what he has done in his career.  The number 1 name in conservative politics for quite a while.

Pre-Rush there were hardly any conservative voices in the media...he broke that monopoly and I fully expect some of the most horrendous vitriol ever upon his death and my guess is he would want it no other way.

Pre-Rush there were hardly any conservative voices in the media...he broke that monopoly and I fully expect some of the most horrendous vitriol ever upon his death and my guess is he would want it no other way.
monopoly?  If his goal was to have one side spit vitriol at his passing then I am truly at a loss of words.  I guess a question would be why? 

You will not find one person on this board more sympathetic to someone with cancer than me but damn Rush a little introspective would go a long way instead of choosing a side until the bitter end. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Much like Trump, he has always invited it.  Makes their brand.

Much like Trump, he has always invited it.  Makes their brand.
Yup...never ran from a fight...taking away the politics (which many can not) what he did was amazing...for 32 years he has been a one-man show with hardly any guests and limited callers...regardless of the content you may not see that ever again.

So apparently its terminal and appears imminent.  I will be the first one to tell you that cancer sucks and eff cancer and all that.  But my problem here is that there seems to be no self reflection, no compassion even at the end, he is being a soldier to the bitter end.  I mean he is still going hard after Biden and his son (which obviously is ironic) .  I mean I guess if I was staring at the end I still wouldnt be doing my shtick and maybe just broadening my horizons a bit and not still hammer on Republicans good democrats bad.  

That just tells me it's not shtick :shrug:

I don't like Rush, don't agree with Rush, believe he has been a divisive force in politics and that one can draw a direct line between the discourse he began decades ago and our present political situation.  His departure saddens me.  Not because I have any admiration for what he is/did, rather because I believe his legacy is one of vitriol, contempt, ill will and animus.  And I just find that really sad. Sad for him and sad for all of us.  

I was a major Dittohead in my youth. Rush could do no wrong. He was my Howard Stern.

Some may say that he is responsible for today's divisiveness, but I say that he merely recognized the potential of an underserviced market. Like many classic American entrepreneurs, he took an old product, modified it, made it better, and became an unparalleled success.

To be honest, my devotion to Rush began to wane as I got older. It's hard to be angry at everything when you've got a family who loves you, know what I mean? The happier I became, the more foreign Rush sounded to my ears. I'd still listen, but his words just didn't resonate like they did when I was young.

Anyway, I'm glad he's still out there, fighting an endless battle. I hope the end is not near for him, and that he can at least hang on for a few more weeks.

Denied smoking was harmful even relatively lately. Feel for him but how much harm did those positions cause?

This isn't really a "Rush" thing, but I've always found it odd that a certain type of person doesn't walk away from this sort of thing once they get to a certain age and wealth level.  If I were Rush, I would have called it a career at least 10 years ago, once I had enough money to live the rest of my life comfortably.  If I were Biden, I would be sitting at home enjoying my retirement.  If I were Clarence Thomas, I would have retired a couple of years ago when it was convenient to do so.  The obvious response is that these folks are all deeply committed to what they're doing and they don't want to give it up, but I'll admit to being kind of judgy about that lifestyle choice.

This isn't really a "Rush" thing, but I've always found it odd that a certain type of person doesn't walk away from this sort of thing once they get to a certain age and wealth level.  If I were Rush, I would have called it a career at least 10 years ago, once I had enough money to live the rest of my life comfortably.  If I were Biden, I would be sitting at home enjoying my retirement.  If I were Clarence Thomas, I would have retired a couple of years ago when it was convenient to do so.  The obvious response is that these folks are all deeply committed to what they're doing and they don't want to give it up, but I'll admit to being kind of judgy about that lifestyle choice.
I don’t have their level of fame and fortune but I would retire right now and enjoy doing whatever I want.  I guess that’s what it kind of boils down to - they enjoy what they are doing enough to not want to retire from it.  

Probably because it is not shtick and he is at total peace.

Diane Feinstein is 87, Pelosi 80, McConnell 78, Hastings 83, RBG was 87 and died in office.   These are just a few and there are many more in late 70s early 80s still working in office.

I agree it seems odd that these kind of people hardly ever retire, they either get voted out or die in office.  I did read once it is all about "the power" that once they leave they never have that feeling of control and power ever again.  Rush probably feels the same way.

Diane Feinstein is 87, Pelosi 80, McConnell 78, Hastings 83, RBG was 87 and died in office.   These are just a few and there are many more in late 70s early 80s still working in office.

I agree it seems odd that these kind of people hardly ever retire, they either get voted out or die in office.  I did read once it is all about "the power" that once they leave they never have that feeling of control and power ever again.  Rush probably feels the same way.
Yep. Addicted to the juice. 

I dont know man, staring at death I doubt I still would have the strength to go after Biden and his son especially since he was himself a drug addict. 

He was the foundation of splitting the country. 

monopoly?  If his goal was to have one side spit vitriol at his passing then I am truly at a loss of words.  I guess a question would be why? 

You will not find one person on this board more sympathetic to someone with cancer than me but damn Rush a little introspective would go a long way instead of choosing a side until the bitter end. 
You felt the need to start a thread about a dying man, and in 4 attempts, managed to go for 4-4 in criticizing him. Congratulations. To me it says a lot more about you than it does about old Rush. 

This isn't really a "Rush" thing, but I've always found it odd that a certain type of person doesn't walk away from this sort of thing once they get to a certain age and wealth level.  If I were Rush, I would have called it a career at least 10 years ago, once I had enough money to live the rest of my life comfortably.
I know a number of elderly folks who are all too eager to loudly share overconfident political and social commentary all day to anyone who will listen, or just to themselves, for free.

If that's what you love doing, and what you'll likely spend all your time doing in retirement anyway, why walk away from getting paid for it? (The generic you.)

I was a major Dittohead in my youth. Rush could do no wrong. He was my Howard Stern.

Some may say that he is responsible for today's divisiveness, but I say that he merely recognized the potential of an underserviced market. Like many classic American entrepreneurs, he took an old product, modified it, made it better, and became an unparalleled success.

To be honest, my devotion to Rush began to wane as I got older. It's hard to be angry at everything when you've got a family who loves you, know what I mean? The happier I became, the more foreign Rush sounded to my ears. I'd still listen, but his words just didn't resonate like they did when I was young.

Anyway, I'm glad he's still out there, fighting an endless battle. I hope the end is not near for him, and that he can at least hang on for a few more weeks.
The same can probably be said for many adherents to political vitriol, on both sides of the aisle.

But folks of all political flavors can agree that cancer is a terrible foe. I hope Rush takes whatever time remains to reflect on all the wonderful things life has to offer. 

I know a number of elderly folks who are all too eager to loudly share overconfident political and social commentary all day to anyone who will listen, or just to themselves, for free.

If that's what you love doing, and what you'll likely spend all your time doing in retirement anyway, why walk away from getting paid for it? (The generic you.)
This kind of explains Trump. He has no need to make himself richer. Yet here he is.

I used to listen to rush every day when he was more of a comedian than a hard core political guy.  When he started taking himself seriously (or I did one ??)  It was time to stop listening.  Still dont want to see the guy suffer.  Cancer sucks.  

Is there a reason I am given a warning for spamming, but I have done nothing of the sort? 
"Spamming" is just the software's default description when a moderator suspends you. Just consider it to be a euphemism for "Being unexcellent."

I-ROK said:
I’ve done nothing of the sort, but okay, I’ve come to expect this from this group of moderators
Looks like you reported a post and added more commentary about how the moderator should respond.

They replied to you "Just report the post. He got suspended. Your extra whining about neutrality doesn't change anything. "

The default setting for warnings is "spamming". 

Ignoring the politics of it (which I know is basically impossible), there was a time when even I would have said that Rush was an really good entertainer.  Boring, non-entertaining people don't reach the levels he has in his life.  I do think he came across as being more angry the last decade and I do think he means most all of the things he says (outside of the obvious schtick stuff) which probably is part of the reason he did come across angry. 

If you blame media/entertainers for the state of our politics, he would have to go high on the list because he definitely made this an "us vs. them" over the years.

Ignoring the politics of it (which I know is basically impossible), there was a time when even I would have said that Rush was an really good entertainer.  Boring, non-entertaining people don't reach the levels he has in his life.  I do think he came across as being more angry the last decade and I do think he means most all of the things he says (outside of the obvious schtick stuff) which probably is part of the reason he did come across angry. 

If you blame media/entertainers for the state of our politics, he would have to go high on the list because he definitely made this an "us vs. them" over the years.
I credit Rush with turning me into a Bill Clinton supporter. When Clinton first appeared on the scene, I was far from impressed. However, at the time Rush's show was on at noon on the local radio station and by default I would listen on the way to and from lunch. It seemed like nearly every day he launched some attack on Clinton and I found myself involuntarily thinking about how ridiculous his argument was each time.  Eventually, the cognitive dissonance of defending a person I didn't like forced me into "Hey, maybe Clinton's not so bad, after all."

I credit Rush with turning me into a Bill Clinton supporter. When Clinton first appeared on the scene, I was far from impressed. However, at the time Rush's show was on at noon on the local radio station and by default I would listen on the way to and from lunch. It seemed like nearly every day he launched some attack on Clinton and I found myself involuntarily thinking about how ridiculous his argument was each time.  Eventually, the cognitive dissonance of defending a person I didn't like forced me into "Hey, maybe Clinton's not so bad, after all."
Every day of Clinton's presidency Rush would open his show with "XXX days remaining of America's raw deal" or something like that.    I would love to go back to the Clinton days...

Users who are viewing this thread