Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Genrepalooza Presents: FG Radio - Tons of Lithium but very little Chill


Recommended Posts

Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I_5j7lqQuKcV8yMuyipeC_MkgL3j1zc-RahK-ixFGb4/edit#gid=199888566

Spotify Playlists:

roll/category/chicken bones sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GWoYzf58BvwDC-SFmM76xmRhDqokm7XEnLnLBE3lChI/edit#gid=1759390772

The Concept: We come up with 57 "radio stations" (idea based on Sirius XM radio). The specifics are to be worked out but a rough list is below.

Genrepalooza Rules: Genrepalooza is an idea to make a song draft that's more about drafting and less about mixing.  It's basically a musical genre-based draft with an element of randomness to keep things interesting as the draft progresses.  Here's how it works:

For odd/even rounds beginning with round 1/2 we'll roll nerd dice to randomly select FOUR genres from the ones selected. Drafters can choose songs only from those FOUR genres during the upcoming two rounds.  Doubling down on one of the four categories is acceptable.  For example, if punk rock, metal, R&B and country were the randomly selected categories for rounds 1 & 2, I could only draft songs fitting those genres but could pick two country tracks if I wanted to. 

We'll repeat the FOUR genres per each set of odd/even rounds until every nominated genre gets randomly selected once 

Participants: See Post Two for Full Draft Order

Radio Stations (57 listed here, nothin' on):

  • Hits 1 (current hits)
  • Road Trip Radio
  • 50s on 5 (pop hits)
  • 60s on 6 (pop hits)
  • 70s on 7 (pop hits)
  • 80s on 8 (pop hits)
  • 90s on 9 (pop hits)
  • Pop 2K (pop hits)
  • First Wave (80s alt)
  • Lithium (90s alt/grunge)
  •  
  • PopRocks
  • XMU (Indie)
  • Octane (hard rock)
  • Hair Nation
  • The Joint (reggae)
  • Fly (90s/00s hop hop r&b)
  • Shade45 (new hip hop)
  • The Heat (new r&b)
  • Soul Town (Motown/classic soul)
  • The Groove (70s/80s r&b)
  •  
  • BPM (dance)
  • Globalization (worldwide hits)
  • Beatles Channel
  • Tom Petty Channel
  • Springsteen Channel
  • Elvis Channel
  • Pearl Jam Channel
  • Prince Channel
  • Margaritaville
  • The Bridge (mellow classic rock)
  •  
  • Classic Rewind (70s/80s classic rock)
  • Classic Vinyl (60s/70s classic rock)
  • Deep Tracks (classic rock)
  • SoulCycle (exercise jams)
  • Coffee House (acoustic/singer songwriter)
  • Underground Garage
  • Turbo (90/00 hard rock)
  • Chill (downtempo/deep house)
  • Studio 54 (70s-00s club dance)
  • Prime Country (80s/90s country)
  •  
  • Willie's Roadhouse (classic country)
  • Outlaw Country
  • Bluegrass Junction
  • Real Jazz (classic jazz)
  • Sinatra (standards by Sinatra and others)
  • On Broadway (show tunes)
  • Bluesville
  • Symphony Hall (classical)
  • The covers channel
  • Velvet (pop vocalists)
  •  
  • Jam On (jam bands)
  • R&R Hall of Fame
  • Yacht Rock
  • Faction (modern punk)
  • Comes Alive! (Live songs)
  • Comedy Central
  • Holly (Christmas Channel)
Edited by Pitchfork
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have my smaller dog beside me here, like I do basically every night. She is just the best. Monday was the 1 year anniversary of the day we got her ("gotcha day") and the day we dubbed her birthday,

70s on 7   67.YM - Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Browne  

Makeup picks - I'll keep adding the rest. Let me know if there are any repeats - didn't see on the list. Round 12: Mussorgsky - "The Great Gate At Kiev" (Symphony Hall) https://www.youtube.com/wa

1    .    0    -        Choices for this pair: Globalization, Springsteen, Jam On, Holly (Christmas)        
1    .    1    Karma Police    Globalization    BLO    Mind Walk    
1    .    2    mphtrilogy    Springsteen    Bruce Springsteen    Ghosts    
1    .    3    Yo Mama    Holly (Christmas)    Run DMC    Christmas in Hollis    
1    .    4    Pip's Invitation    Jam On    The Allman Brothers Band    In Memory of Elizabeth Reed    
1    .    5    Hov34    Holly (Christmas)    Darlene Love    Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)    
1    .    6    Raging Weasel    Holly (Christmas)    John Lennon    Happy Christmas    
1    .    7    Dr. Octopus    Jam On    Phish    Sigma Oasis    
1    .    8    simey    Jam On    Jerry Garcia    The Wheel    
1    .    9    Buffaloes    Globalization    Broken Bells    Holding on for Life (Solomun Radio Mix)    
1    .    10    Zamboni    Springsteen    Bruce Springsteen    Jungleland    
1    .    11    Mrs. Rannous    Jam On    Santana    Soul Sacrifice    
1    .    12    Eephus     Globalization    WizKid feat H.E.R.    Smile    
1    .    13    Abrantes    Jam On    Peter Frampton    Do You Feel Like We Do    
1    .    14    Pitchfork    Springsteen    Bruce Springsteen    Because the Night (live)    
1    .    15    krista4/rockaction    Jam On    The Band    The Weight    
1    .    16    Doug B    Holly (Christmas)    Greg Lake    I Believe in Father Christmas    
1    .    17    Andrew Clark                
1    .    18    Ilov80s    Globalization    SAINt JHN    Roses (Imanbek Remix)    
2    .    0                    
2    .    1    Ilov80s    Globalization    Farid Bang, French Montana and Khaled     Maghreb Gang    
2    .    2    Andrew Clark    Holly (Christmas)    Dan Fogelberg    Same Old Lang Syne    
2    .    3    Doug B    Springsteen    Bruce Springsteen    One Step Up (Live)    
2    .    4    rockaction/krista4    Globalization    M.I.A.    Bucky Done Gun    
2    .    5    Pitchfork    Globalization    Don Omar/Lucenzo    Danza Kuduro    
2    .    6    Abrantes                
2    .    7    Eephus    Jam On    Medeski, Martin and Wood    Chubb Sub    
2    .    8    Mrs. Rannous    Holly (Christmas)    AC/DC    Mistress for Christmas    
2    .    9    zamboni    Holly (Christmas)    Vince Gualardi Trio    Christmas is Here    
2    .    10    Buffaloes    Globalization    Shrpongle    Dorset Perception    
2    .    11    simey    Holly (Christmas)    Big Bad Voodoo Daddy    Mr. Heatmiser    
2    .    12    Dr. Octopus    Jam On    God Street Wine    Into the Sea    
2    .    13    Raging Weasel    Springsteen    Bruce Springsteen    Spirit in the Night    
2    .    14    Hov34                
2    .    15    Pip's Invitation                
2    .    16    Yo Mama                
2    .    17    mphtrilogy                
2    .    18    KarmaPolice                
3    .    0        Choices for this pair: Deep Tracks, SoulCycle, Chill, Elvis Channel            
3    .    1    Karma Police                
3    .    2    mphtrilogy                
3    .    3    Yo Mama                
3    .    4    Pip's Invitation                
3    .    5    Hov34                
3    .    6    Raging Weasel                
3    .    7    Dr. Octopus                
3    .    8    simey                
3    .    9    Buffaloes                
3    .    10    Zamboni                
3    .    11    Mrs. Rannous                
3    .    12    Eephus                 
3    .    13    Abrantes                
3    .    14    Pitchfork                
3    .    15    krista4/rockaction                
3    .    16    Doug B                
3    .    17    Andrew Clark                
3    .    18    Ilov80s                
4    .    0                    
4    .    1    Ilov80s                
4    .    2    Andrew Clark                
4    .    3    Doug B                
4    .    4    rockaction/krista4                
4    .    5    Pitchfork                
4    .    6    Abrantes                
4    .    7    Eephus                
4    .    8    Mrs. Rannous                
4    .    9    zamboni                
4    .    10    Buffaloes                
4    .    11    simey                
4    .    12    Dr. Octopus                
4    .    13    Raging Weasel                
4    .    14    Hov34                
4    .    15    Pip's Invitation                
4    .    16    Yo Mama                
4    .    17    mphtrilogy                
4    .    18    KarmaPolice                

Edited by Pitchfork
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never had satellite radio, and some of these categories seem pretty fun.   I assume on their channels some of these are more of a "feel" thing?  Ie Margaritaville, Road Trip... 

Also, are the band channels literally just those bands, but they go deeper with b-sides, live tracks, and the like?

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KarmaPolice said:

Never had satellite radio, and some of these categories seem pretty fun.   I assume on their channels some of these are more of a "feel" thing?  Ie Margaritaville, Road Trip... 

Also, are the band channels literally just those bands, but they go deeper with b-sides, live tracks, and the like?

Yes, Margaritaville, Road Trip types are definitely a feel. 

The band channels are predominantly the band it's named for but does get into collaborations, bands they were inspired by, solo stuff and yes a lot of deep cuts and live performances. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pitchfork said:

Categories or "radio stations" are certainly up for discussion but IMO the goal should be to cover as wide a variety of genres and eras as possible.

I love most of those.   If I had to throw a mild suggestion out, it would maybe nix a couple of the multiple ones like the r&b, and add in a couple more "feel" channels that we decide on - like winterscape or something like that.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krista4 said:

Isn't there a Rolling Stones channel?  I can't believe I'm the one to suggest this, but maybe they should be included.    

A lot of the artist specific ones come and go (U2 has one right now, Linkin Park has an online one, Beastie Boys had one recently). I'd be down for a Rolling Stones one for sure. They could possibly replace Pearl Jam as a more "classic" band but PJ may have more FBG appeal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pitchfork said:

A lot of the artist specific ones come and go (U2 has one right now, Linkin Park has an online one, Beastie Boys had one recently). I'd be down for a Rolling Stones one for sure. They could possibly replace Pearl Jam as a more "classic" band but PJ may have more FBG appeal.

I like having Pearl Jam as something a little more modern.  The one I was thinking you could replace would be Tom Petty, though it pains me to say that since I like him better than RS.

Is there a Prince channel?  :excited:  

On these channels, they often include covers and influences and solo works as well - would we include those?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I obviously listen to Satellite Radio - working on the road, it's just so much easier than constantly looking for stations.  Stations/Genres I omitted partially because of my own biases, if anyone wants to argue for them.

Comedy Channels - Looking over the list again, I'm thinking this might actually be cool

Modern Country Channels

The Spectrum - Actually one of my most listened to channels. I'd call it Adult Oriented Rock. They call it classic rock meets new rock. Maybe it's "Dad Rock" and should be in given our demographics?

Pandora Now/The Pulse/The Blend - These are all basically modern pop. "Hits 1" Covers it for our purposes, I think

Grateful Dead Radio/Phish Channel/DMB Radio - Be thankful I included "Jam On" 

Alt Nation - New Alternative, again one of my most listened to - XMU, the indie station covers for this.

Ozzy's Bone Yard - Classic Hard Rock - maybe room for this but could also probably be covered in other categories? I think there's a decent amount of classic rock

Hip Hop Nation/Shade 45 - Modern Hip Hop and Rap - maybe one of these should have been included? I did put in "The Heat" (modern R&B), maybe we just expand that to R&B/Hip Hop

All Christian and Gospel Channels I left off.

Kidz Bop/Kidz Place/Radio Disney - these are out of my wheelhouse but,,,? 

----

And we can go off just the Sirius base if anyone has other cool radio station suggestions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pitchfork said:

Hip Hop Nation/Shade 45 - Modern Hip Hop and Rap - maybe one of these should have been included? I did put in "The Heat" (modern R&B), maybe we just expand that to R&B/Hip Hop

!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I like having Pearl Jam as something a little more modern.  The one I was thinking you could replace would be Tom Petty, though it pains me to say that since I like him better than RS.

Is there a Prince channel?  :excited:  

There definitely was at one point a Prince channel... The Tom Petty one came on after his death. We could include Prince and Petty as tributes. Or an "In Memoriam" channel in place of both.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I like having Pearl Jam as something a little more modern.  The one I was thinking you could replace would be Tom Petty, though it pains me to say that since I like him better than RS.

Is there a Prince channel?  :excited:  

On these channels, they often include covers and influences and solo works as well - would we include those?

Oh ####- I would love a Prince channel.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

ok ...wtf is going on

I have the time but you guys know I am pretty limited in terms of my musical tastes

:k4stillmadatmycommentsinthebeatlesthread:

 

Pair up with someone.  I hear all the cool kids are doing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pitchfork said:

I obviously listen to Satellite Radio - working on the road, it's just so much easier than constantly looking for stations.  Stations/Genres I omitted partially because of my own biases, if anyone wants to argue for them.

Comedy Channels - Looking over the list again, I'm thinking this might actually be cool

Modern Country Channels

The Spectrum - Actually one of my most listened to channels. I'd call it Adult Oriented Rock. They call it classic rock meets new rock. Maybe it's "Dad Rock" and should be in given our demographics?

Pandora Now/The Pulse/The Blend - These are all basically modern pop. "Hits 1" Covers it for our purposes, I think

Grateful Dead Radio/Phish Channel/DMB Radio - Be thankful I included "Jam On" 

Alt Nation - New Alternative, again one of my most listened to - XMU, the indie station covers for this.

Ozzy's Bone Yard - Classic Hard Rock - maybe room for this but could also probably be covered in other categories? I think there's a decent amount of classic rock

Hip Hop Nation/Shade 45 - Modern Hip Hop and Rap - maybe one of these should have been included? I did put in "The Heat" (modern R&B), maybe we just expand that to R&B/Hip Hop

All Christian and Gospel Channels I left off.

Kidz Bop/Kidz Place/Radio Disney - these are out of my wheelhouse but,,,? 

----

And we can go off just the Sirius base if anyone has other cool radio station suggestions.

Comedy channel might be cool.

The Spectrum is a great channel, if you could get together a description that gives people enough info on it.

Ozzy's Bone Yard is a good channel and might be slightly different than the others, but I could go either way on that.

Agree re SXMU and Alt Nation being too overlapping.  I listen to both, though.

51 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

I vote to go easy on the pruning. Also stoked for another music draft

Me too on both counts.  We could go to 60!

ETA:  80s suggestion of Christmas is kinda fun, too.

Edited by krista4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I second the comedy channel. Did we mention Pitbull’s Globalization? I’m always down with some world music. BB Kings Blues? 

There was some sort of world music channel on the list that I'm too lazy to review.  LOVE the BB Kings Blues idea!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I second the comedy channel. Did we mention Pitbull’s Globalization? I’m always down with some world music. BB Kings Blues? 

 

Just now, krista4 said:

There was some sort of world music channel on the list that I'm too lazy to review.  LOVE the BB Kings Blues idea!!!

Globalization and Bluesville are on the current list. I agree comedy probably deserves a slot.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pitchfork said:

Ozzy's Bone Yard - Classic Hard Rock - maybe room for this but could also probably be covered in other categories? I think there's a decent amount of classic rock.

I wouldn’t categorize it as classic rock at all — not even the harder end of classic rock. It’s a classic metal station first, second, and third with a smattering of 70s hard rock thrown in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I wouldn’t categorize it as classic rock at all — not even the harder end of classic rock. It’s a classic metal station first, second, and third with a smattering of 70s hard rock thrown in.

I would be all about this channel instead of the Turbo channel.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:
25 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I wouldn’t categorize it as classic rock at all — not even the harder end of classic rock. It’s a classic metal station first, second, and third with a smattering of 70s hard rock thrown in.

I would be all about this channel instead of the Turbo channel.  

You don't want to get your Shinedown on? I kinda like Turbo because it forces us to go to an area we've not traditionally drafted from.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pitchfork said:

You don't want to get your Shinedown on? I kinda like Turbo because it forces us to go to an area we've not traditionally drafted from.

That's a fair point, but it's a no to the bolded.  ;) 

Honestly, I am down with whatever - been trying to do less podcasts and more music lately and it's been helping my mood so bring on the draft!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Okay, I guess I'm up for serious brain fry, but where is the Outlaw Country Channel?  Mr R and I never hear anything on there that we think actually qualifies, but we usually like what they are playing.

Is it significantly different than Willie's channel?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, krista4 said:

Isn't there a Rolling Stones channel?  I can't believe I'm the one to suggest this, but maybe they should be included.    

It's been a pop up channel during tours and such but I don't believe it's been permanent. I haven't has S/XM in about four years though

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...