What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza Presents: FG Radio - Tons of Lithium but very little Chill (5 Viewers)

Would love to consider some more woman artist focused playlists if we can find some that folks could dig....

Just my two cents ....

Women Rockers (Chrissie, Linda Ronstadt, The Runaways, Grace Potter, Liz Phair, Joan Jett etc..)

Women Singer Songwriters Old & New (Joni, Carole King, Bonnie Raitt, Laura Nyro, Aimee Mann, Suzanne Vega, Eva Cassidy, Tracy Chapman, Phoebe Bridgers, Maggie Rogers etc..)  

Women Legends (Ella, Billy, Julie London, Sarah Vaughn, Rosemary Clooney, Dinah Washington, Patsy Cline, Nancy Wilson etc..)

Would love to consider some more woman artist focused playlists if we can find some that folks could dig....

Just my two cents ....

Women Rockers (Chrissie, Linda Ronstadt, The Runaways, Grace Potter, Liz Phair, Joan Jett etc..)

Women Singer Songwriters Old & New (Joni, Carole King, Bonnie Raitt, Laura Nyro, Aimee Mann, Suzanne Vega, Eva Cassidy, Tracy Chapman, Phoebe Bridgers, Maggie Rogers etc..)  

Women Legends (Ella, Billy, Julie London, Sarah Vaughn, Rosemary Clooney, Dinah Washington, Patsy Cline, Nancy Wilson etc..)
There are two waiting in the wings. 

Grrrrls Grrrls Grrrls (Women Who Rock)

Lilith Fair (Coffee House welcoming women of all ages)

Just my two cents ....

Girl groups is another than spans generations, genres and continents. From 60s soul to 20s K-Pop

There's just a ton of untapped Women Music artists that have barely been touched in this 3500 song draft... seems overly ripe...

I love Dylan, Bowie, Prince, The Stones, Petty, The Beatles Kinks and The Who etc..

But only one Billy Holiday, 2 Linda Ronstadt, 4 Joni, 4 Ella, 2 Carole King, 3 Joan Jett, 1 Pretenders,  tons of great tunes to still work with...

Aretha gets Respect tho, lol...

KarmaPolice said:
I forget the genesis of some these themes - why Dave and Jack?  Just two newer artists that have played with a ton of people?
There was some discussion about 80 rounds ago about newer artists who could cover a dedicated channel.  I decided to combine Grohl and White since they're sort of contemporaries, recorded with a variety of other artists and hopefully will blend together into a cohesive playlist

There's just a ton of untapped Women Music artists that have barely been touched in this 3500 song draft... seems overly ripe...

I love Dylan, Bowie, Prince, The Stones, Petty, The Beatles Kinks and The Who etc..

But only one Billy Holiday, 2 Linda Ronstadt, 4 Joni, 4 Ella, 2 Carole King, 3 Joan Jett, 1 Pretenders,  tons of great tunes to still work with...

Aretha gets Respect tho, lol...
I try to add a woman to every playlist if possible, even got 2 on Hair Nation and 3 in Faction/Octane! Should be 3 Pretenders at least out there,think I took 2 myself.

Have a bunch of women lined up for In My Room and Weird and Wonderful choices.

I try to add a woman to every playlist if possible, even got 2 on Hair Nation and 3 in Faction/Octane! Should be 3 Pretenders at least out there,think I took 2 myself.

Have a bunch of women lined up for In My Room and Weird and Wonderful choices.
yep, 1 under Pretenders, 2 under The Pretenders

Those guys have their own channels.  I have more women coming up, but I'm not gonna choose any just to choose a woman. Some I've drafted are Roberta Flack, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Donna Summer, Etta James, Nina Simone, Loretta Lynn, Lucinda Williams, Janis Joplin, The Staple Singers, Thelma Houston, Gloria Gaynor, Natalie Merchant, Carpenters, ABBA, Andrea True Connection, Pointer Sisters, Hole, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Cowboy Junkies, Garbage, Nancy Sinatra, Rhiannon Giddens, Samantha Sang, The Angels, Yvonne Elliman, Ruthie Foster, Tedeschi Trucks Band, THe Mamas and Papas, Dottie West, Til Tuesday, and I can't think of who else cause the road goes on forever. There are some specific ones I didn't draft on some channels, because they were already represented.  There are certainly more men than women drafted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those guys have their own channels.  I have more women coming up, but I'm not gonna choose any just to choose a woman. Some I've drafted are Roberta Flack, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Donna Summer, Etta James, Nina Simone, Loretta Lynn, Lucinda Williams, Janis Joplin, Thelma Houston, Gloria Gaynor, Natalie Merchant, Carpenters, Andrea True Connection, Pointer Sisters, Hole, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Cowboy Junkies, Rhiannon Giddens, Samantha Sang, The Angels, Yvonne Elliman, Ruthie Foster, Tedeschi Trucks Band, THe Mamas and Papas, Til Tuesday, and I can't think of who else cause the road goes on forever. There are some specific ones I didn't draft on some channels, because they were already represented.  There are certainly more men than women drafted.
Yep, understood.

Just like the idea of adding some Stations featuring more Women Artists as they are a bit underrepresented imho.. and I like the idea of getting the communities take on some of their faves in those categories....

just adding a bit of chatter.. carry on!

Yep, understood.

Just like the idea of adding some Stations featuring more Women Artists as they are a bit underrepresented imho.. and I like the idea of getting the communities take on some of their faves in those categories....

You're right they are underrepresented. Several times, too, someone would take a woman that I was going to take on that round, so I would go with someone else.

Yep, understood.

Yeah, why not?  Even though I'm the one who dislikes most music by female artists, I'm in favor.  We have categories for everything else, so don't see why we wouldn't.  It does seem we have categories to cover rock and acoustic, but girl groups/bands or whatever your other suggestion was seems fine.

227.8 or 12 - Rhonda Vincent - Kentucky Borderline (Bluegrass Junction)

Closing out Bluegrass with a train song.
Took my 81 Year old father to the Ryman to see Rhonda Vincent (among others) and while Bluegrass is not my "thing" I quite enjoyed the concert.  And of course enjoyed doing this for my dad and knowing how much he enjoyed it.   

He took me to my first ever concert when I was 11 or 12 - Merle Haggard in Alexandria Louisiana.  I won tickets on the radio.  

I reviewed back through my draft picks because I was curious about female representation. 

Excluding bonus picks, around a quarter (56 out of 227) song selections featured a woman performer
I was going to count mine but on my phone I can't see the drafters names on the spreadsheet. 

My new music consumption has trended more and more towards female voices over the last few years. I don't know why.

9 of my top 20 songs from 2020, and my top 3 (Pheobe Bridgers, King Princess, Taylor Swift) went that way this year.

In 2019, 7 of my top 11 were female songs (Regrettes, Taylor Swift, Sharon Van Etten, Billie Eilish, Maggie Rogers, Charly Bliss, Big Thief)

In 2018, it was 7 of my top 12.

In 2017, it was 6 of my top 10.

In 2016, it was 0 of my top 17

at some point something in my brain flipped.

Speaking of women in music, here's one from

Round 228.xx

Category: Jack and Dave's Ultimate Afternoon Drivetime Show

Song: Jolene (Live: Under Great White Northern Lights)

Artist: White Stripes covering Dolly Parton

Dolly, in order to help educate people and encourage basic science, got her shot and sang "Vaccine/Vaccine/vaccine vaccine..." when she did. A+.

Why the Dave Grohl hate?   He's 1/10th the doosh Jack is.  ;)
Yeah, but does he make baseball bats? That's the rub here. Jack makes Wonderboys!

Nah, I think the Jack doosh thing is overblown. His opinions aren't really that controversial, to the best of my understanding. He loves analog and is a priss about it. So am I, to a degree. Doesn't mind living in a foreign country (can you blame him at this sort of low point?). That he punched the guy from the Von Bondies is something to question, but I have no idea about the circumstances of that. I'll cut him some slack. Always have. 

Yeah, but does he make baseball bats? That's the rub here. Jack makes Wonderboys!

Nah, I think the Jack doosh thing is overblown. His opinions aren't really that controversial, to the best of my understanding. He loves analog and is a priss about it. So am I, to a degree. Doesn't mind living in a foreign country (can you blame him at this sort of low point?). That he punched the guy from the Von Bondies is something to question, but I have no idea about the circumstances of that. I'll cut him some slack. Always have. 
Most of my opinion is him hating on the Black Keys, didn't want his kids in the same school with Auerbach, mostly because he felt they ripped him off.   He is a great player, but it's not like his albums weren't based on sound already established or cover songs.  

:shrug:     

Full disclosure - I am not 100% on any of that.  

Users who are viewing this thread