Pitchfork

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

@krista4 would be so proud - my top 5 bands I listened to were:

1.  Opeth

2.  Lord Huron

3.  The Beatles  :oldunsure:

4.  Gojira 

5.  Run the Jewels  

I was really surprised Pink Floyd and Talking Heads weren't on there.    4 of the top 5 songs were from my 5 year old's playlist, but I guess we listened to a lot less Frozen OST this year, as We Will Rock You, HandClap, Jump were on there instead.   Meet Me In the Woods was the only one of my songs in the top 5.  

I was at 27,000 hours and somehow discovered 247 new artists (I assume mostly due to music drafts??)  and listened to 371 genres (how is that possible?) 

I am proud!  :lmao:  The Beatles didn’t make my list.

My top five artists were:

1.  Paul McCartney

2.  George Harrison

3.  Wings

4.  John Lennon

5.  Ringo Starr

:lmao: 

Top five songs were:

1. Calico Skies - Paul

2.  Little Lamb Dragonfly - Wings

3.  Souvenir - Paul

4.  That Day Is Done - Paul (and Elvis Costello)

5.  Put It There - Paul

I was in the top 0.0015% of Paul listeners for the year.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 2

7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I hear a song that could have been Blondie's here. I'm probably sucked into a place, time, similarity/dissimilar vortex here, but I hear Debbie Harry's influence in this. Or is that the other way around?

🤔

eta* My YouTuve algorithm, seeing as how we're discussing algos, skipped directly to Television's "See No Evil" as the next song, with the whole of Marquee Moon in tow. Not a bad 1-2 punch.

They were contemporaries so maybe it was mutual influence. That song is one of her more mainstream songs however while Blondie rarely strayed from that formula.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I am proud!  :lmao:  The Beatles didn’t make my list.

My top five artists were:

1.  Paul McCartney

2.  George Harrison

3.  Wings

4.  John Lennon

5.  Ringo Starr

:lmao: 

Top five songs were:

1. Calico Skies - Paul

2.  Little Lamb Dragonfly - Wings

3.  Souvenir - Paul

4.  That Day Is Done - Paul (and Elvis Costello)

5.  Put It There - Paul

I was in the top 0.0015% of Paul listeners for the year.

I suppose that makes sense given your thread. I wonder if Ringo made any other human's top 5 list.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

Just now, Pip's Invitation said:

As I was coming back from an errand, WXPN (the Penn radio station) was doing their morning Beatle block, and Put It There was in it. 

Nice!  I don’t think I’ve ever heard it on the radio.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I'm not getting a top five either, and I have Premium. I am getting a missed hits of 2020 list, which are songs that I have been pegged by the algorithm to like. 

I got this as well. 

1. I Saw the Light -- Todd Rundgren. I have listened to this a ton over the course of my life, just not on Spotify, I guess.

2. Instant Karma (We All Shine On) -- John Lennon. Ditto.

3. Baby Blue -- Badfinger. I did in fact discover this song this year -- on Youtube. And it does fit in very well with my tastes.

4. You Can't Rule Me -- Lucinda Williams and 5. This Forgotten Town -- The Jayhawks. So it thinks I like alt country. Which is not wrong but it's not an obsession. I never cared for the Jayhawks' vocals, too twangy and screechy for me. I like what I've heard from Lucinda but I have never felt compelled to dig deeper. 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

They were contemporaries so maybe it was mutual influence. That song is one of her more mainstream songs however while Blondie rarely strayed from that formula.

Probably so. And it sounded mainstream, but the "Till Victory" title sounds a little more Patti Smith underground leaning than Blondie, who found love and life to be no battlefield, just effortless cool.

• Like 1

15k minutes, 194 new artists (3 music drafts)

Top Artists

1 - Run the Jewels

2 - Outkast

3 - Steely Dan

4 - Beastie Boys

5 - Pink Floyd

Top Songs (there was an 80s R&B playlist I made that I guess I really liked this year)

Saturday Love

Don’t Disturb This Groove

If It Isn’t Love

What a Fool Believes

I Feel for You

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

I'm not getting a top 5 artists list. Maybe because I don't spring for premium or maybe because I "only" had 3,704 minutes. I do most of my listening on Youtube.

ETA: Or maybe because I don't have the app. 

Top 5 songs:

Jackie Blue -- The Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Earthquake Weather -- Beck

Out of the Blue -- Elton John

Race for the Prize -- The Flaming Lips

Dream Weaver -- Gary Wright 

For those keeping score, that's two songs I drafted in the jukebox draft, one song that was in my 1975 countdown and is on one of the GP playlists I control, one song is on one of the GP playlists I control, and one song that has nothing to do with any of that. A friend recommended Elton John's Blue Moves, and I listened to it and loved most of it. Out of the Blue, which is from that, is basically a jazz-fusion instrumental and fascinates me because it's nothing like anything else I've heard from Elton. 

• Like 1

My number one song is embarrassing and basic as hell. The Box by Roddy Rich. There’s a couple factors there. Before COVID, the kids in my algebra group preferred the box method for multiplying polynomials so I would regularly  play the start of that song when we were practicing that. It was also the first song on the playlist I used for working out all year so it gets a lot of play that way.

But yeah, flame away lol. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

My number one song is embarrassing and basic as hell. The Box by Roddy Rich. There’s a couple factors there. Before COVID, the kids in my algebra group preferred the box method for multiplying polynomials so I would regularly  play the start of that song when we were practicing that. It was also the first song on the playlist I used for working out all year so it gets a lot of play that way.

I’ve never heard of it. Should I pretend that is still the case?

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

My number one song is embarrassing and basic as hell. The Box by Roddy Rich.

Laughs. #### that. This jam is hot. And with this crowd? That's not basic at all. That's like a foreign species of animal.

You must be the one of the coolest teachers around the area. Funny, mang.

• Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Laughs. #### that. This jam is hot. And with this crowd? That's not basic at all. That's like a foreign species of animal.

You must be the one of the coolest teachers around the area. Funny, mang.

Good point as evidenced by someone already saying they’ve never heard of it. 

I am probably the coolest teacher around but the bar is not that high. Also I’m still a teacher and always had to cut the song off before the verse started and we get the F- the police part. So they got like 5 seconds of ee-ew and beat. 

12 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

I like the song, it’s rap so may not be everyone’s taste. It was just a very big hit song this year and got overplayed in general. It would be like having Every Breath You Take as your top song in 83 or something.

10 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I like the song, it’s rap so may not be everyone’s taste. It was just a very big hit song this year and got overplayed in general. It would be like having Every Breath You Take as your top song in 83 or something.

Got it. I don’t really keep up with pop music and my son doesn’t like rap, so I haven’t come across it.

2 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Now, it did give me a list called "On Record: Dig deeper into some of your top artists." The first entry was Neil Young, so I think we can guess what my #1 artist is. 

Loved mine. This is the real list of what I listened to emotionally the most.

The top-ten list

3230 by Vince Staples

Tear It Down - Spoon

Yankee and the Brave - Run The Jewels

Televised Mind - Fontaines D.C.

Parachute - Future and R. Kelly

Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Rolling Stones

Famous - Kanye West

Mistaken For Strangers - The National

Up From The Skies - Jimi Hendrix

Digital Love - Daft Punk

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Loved mine. This is the real list of what I listened to emotionally the most.

The top-ten list

3230 by Vince Staples

Tear It Down - Spoon

Yankee and the Brave - Run The Jewels

Televised Mind - Fontaines D.C.

Parachute - Future and R. Kelly

Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Rolling Stones

Famous - Kanye West

Mistaken For Strangers - The National

Up From The Skies - Jimi Hendrix

Digital Love - Daft Punk

That’s a cool challenge I might try to take on. My actual top 10 is really skewed by workout music because I usually play the same playlist with a lot of the same songs over and over. 

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

That’s a cool challenge I might try to take on. My actual top 10 is really skewed by workout music because I usually play the same playlist with a lot of the same songs over and over. 

Cool. I didn't alter anything, though. It was the "On Record" portion of the Spotify year-end. It takes songs you like and have listened to a lot and matches it up with a podcast regarding that band or song. The reason I said it better reflected my tastes is because it actually does match my emotional temperature more than their other algorithms or measurements.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

This is how the Random Spotify streaming worked out this year

The Lone bellow, Tame Impala, HAIM, Elizabeth Cook and Nada Surf.  

Good times by Lone Bellow, New low by Sarah harmer, Love you for a long time by Maggie Rogers, Unchained by Devon Gilillian and Against the Day by Wolf Parade 

392 genres listened to, 501 new artists

Rock,  Indie Folk, Folk, Indie Pop and Soft Rock were my top 5...

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Cool. I didn't alter anything, though. It was the "On Record" portion of the Spotify year-end. It takes songs you like and have listened to a lot and matches it up with a podcast regarding that band or song. The reason I said it better reflected my tastes better is because it actually does match my emotional temperature more than their other algorithms or measurements.

Oh I see that now. Yeah that’s way more accurate-still has The Box though 

Sweet Thing Van Morrison

UFOF by Big Thief

The Box

Help Me Rhonda by The Beach Boys

Drown in My Own Tears by Aretha

Trouble Man by Marvin Gaye

In the Wee Small Hours by Sinatra

Visions of Gideon by Sufjan Stevens

The Language by Drake

Visions of Johana by Dylan 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I was so sure that it was gonna be the SNL skit and boy was I surprised.

That rox. Let her rock/Let her rock/C'mon people now...

It would have been if I knew how to do you tube links on my phone. Almost took that song instead of the Joan Jett one with my last pick.

1 minute ago, Raging weasel said:

It would have been if I knew how to do you tube links on my phone. Almost took that song instead of the Joan Jett one with my last pick.

I could help you with an Android. I think we went over this though. If you haven't gotten it, you can PM me for details.

eta* Never mind if you're talking about text links. They won't work well. 

Edited by rockaction

10 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The Hair Metal playlist is ready for the Decline part 2

Not sure I can make it through that. That music isn’t really my thing anymore. Though they can’t possibly be as dumb as these punk bands from LA. 

• Thinking 1

19 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Not sure I can make it through that. That music isn’t really my thing anymore. Though they can’t possibly be as dumb as these punk bands from LA. 

Circle Jerks were never dumb. Germs were. Never into them. Just sort of stupid nihilists doing stupid nihilistic stuff. X is also legit. The skinhead at the beginning that was once Limp Ditka's avatar is emblematic of the crowds that hardcore drew in L.A. in the early 80s. Which the movie is really focused on rather than the art scene aspect of it all. Penelope Spheeris got more of the violent culture than the art one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yes, they can. You need to see the movie to believe it. Dumb as the punks may seem, the hair metal guys come off dumber. And the focus on Gazzari's makes one think of an old gay man around young gay men. It's definitely a pimp/prostitute undertone when they interview him or his bands. And the Gazzari girls. One wants to focus on "actressing." Never forget those interviews, man. Chris Holmes and his vodka bottle with his mom poolside. Tough to watch.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yes, they can. You need to see the movie to believe it. Dumb as the punks may seem, the hair metal guys come off dumber. And the focus on Gazzari's makes one think of an old gay man around young gay men. It's definitely a pimp/prostitute undertone when they interview him or his bands. And the Gazzari girls. One wants to focus on "actressing." Never forget those interviews, man. Chris Holmes and his vodka bottle with his mom poolside. Tough to watch.

I’ll have to see it. Germs were beyond dumb. All of it’s just way too dark for me. The letter about dumping nuke waste into the ocean or not really caring if species die off. The anger towards the hippys is also very interesting. One generations counter culture lashing out at the previous. So much anger and hard drugs. It’s just such a different time from when I grew up/now and the punk music I listened to (though I never considered myself punk or part of the scene despite going to a lot of concerts). 

X is pretty normal relatively speaking, particularly Exene.

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1