Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Genrepalooza Presents: FG Radio - Tons of Lithium but very little Chill

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

X is pretty normal relatively speaking, particularly Exene.

Funny you should mention her specifically. Her later years are marked by what the media portrays as having erratic thoughts. Not insane ones, just conspiracy theory-type ones. Mrs. Eephus knows her, I believe. So I don't really know the whole story, only through a media filter.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have my smaller dog beside me here, like I do basically every night. She is just the best. Monday was the 1 year anniversary of the day we got her ("gotcha day") and the day we dubbed her birthday,

70s on 7   67.YM - Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Browne  

80s on 8 124.xx:  BANANARAMA - CRUEL SUMMER Link  

6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

The anger towards the hippys is also very interesting. One generations counter culture lashing out at the previous. So much anger and hard drugs.

Was definitely a punk thing. "You're Not Blank (So Baby We're Through)" by The Dils is a good example of the bounciest punk met with hippie hate.

Well you say we're out of time
This ain't 1969
What you're trying to be
Is just a hippie

You're not blank/So baby we're through

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Funny you should mention her specifically. Her later years are marked by what the media portrays as having erratic thoughts. Not insane ones, just conspiracy theory-type ones. Mrs. Eephus knows her, I believe. So I don't really know the whole story, only through a media filter.

Interesting but also not surprising. She was still kooky, just seemed smarter than most of the other nuts on this thing. But I can imagine lots of drugs and time itself can take people to weird places. How many people right now are dealing with rather normal family members who have fallen into some crazy political conspiracy holes? It’s an interesting phenomenon.

3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Was definitely a punk thing. "You're Not Blank (So Baby We're Through)" by The Dils is a good example of the bounciest punk met with hippie hate.

Well you say we're out of time
This ain't 1969
What you're trying to be
Is just a hippie

You're not blank/So baby we're through

That attitude was around even in the 90s. NOFX had some anti hippie songs if I recall as well.

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Interesting but also not surprising. She was still kooky, just seemed smarter than most of the other nuts on this thing. But I can imagine lots of drugs and time itself can take people to weird places. How many people right now are dealing with rather normal family members who have fallen into some crazy political conspiracy holes? It’s an interesting phenomenon.

Yeah, seems more prevalent now than I can remember. I just typed out something political and deleted it, thinking it was better left for the politics forum.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Exene's eccentric but she's always been really nice to Mrs. Eephus.

They always do a West Coast minitour around the holidays.  This will be the first time in many years we haven't seen them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Eephus said:

Exene's eccentric but she's always been really nice to Mrs. Eephus.

They always do a West Coast minitour around the holidays.  This will be the first time in many years we haven't seen them.

Sorry to hear that. Christmas and traditions will be very muted this year for most. It's a shame. Gotta remember to not get swayed by inertia and go ahead with traditions next year like they never went away, no matter how inconvenient they might be regarding travel, time, etc.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

That attitude was around even in the 90s. NOFX had some anti hippie songs if I recall as well.

August 8th.

I see a bunch of hippies crying/yeah August 8th is a beautiful day

Sadly, and I could have predicted this: it's about Jerry Garcia dying. I have my own nihilistic story about that that I've told before and am embarrassed by it, so I'll keep it to myself.

We are all Deadheads now. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

xx.RA  The Monks - Complication (Underground Garage)  Spotify  YouTube

RA was kind enough to offer me the opportunity to choose one this afternoon for my second-favorite Sirius channel, but I've been so busy with work I fell down on the job and am just getting to it.  Uncertain what round this is.  I'm not sure I've ever heard this song on the station, but it sure seems to fit.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Round 62:

Underground Garage channel

Road with You -- Chris Harford and the First Rays of the New Rising Sun

Full disclosure: I have been friends with Chris for 20 years. The short version of the story is that he was part of a scene of NY/NJ/PA musicians that I fell into during my Lost Years.

After spending much of the 80s in the Boston indie band Three Colors (whose records were good but marred by the cheesy production of the time), which included furture Morphine saxophonist Dana Colley, Chris began a solo career in the early '90s and was signed by Elektra, who hoped to make him into their version of Matthew Sweet. His sound was and still is heavily influenced by Neil Young -- they have in common compelling folk-based acoustic material, bone-rattling electric material and a voice that's an acquired taste -- but also draws on Springsteen and other purveyors of '70s blue-collar rock. Elektra put great effort into getting Be Headed, his first solo album, made, bringing in a ton of session musicians, but, whether via personnel turnover at the label, incompetence or both (I dunno, I wasn't there for it), failed to promote it effectively, and dropped him not long after its release, leaving him in debt from the recording costs. 

Nonetheless, Be Headed is great from start to finish. Last night I listened to its uptempo songs and decided Road With You was the best fit for the Underground Garage playlist, but it has plenty of gems. His subsequent albums, all self-released, are every bit as good, but none are on Spotify. His concerts, in which he is often backed by members of Ween and other talented NY/NJ/PA musicians, are epic experiences. I have probably seen close to 100 of them. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, rockaction said:

August 8th.

I see a bunch of hippies crying/yeah August 8th is a beautiful day

Sadly, and I could have predicted this: it's about Jerry Garcia dying. I have my own nihilistic story about that that I've told before and am embarrassed by it, so I'll keep it to myself.

We are all Deadheads now. 

NOFX seemed to always revel in being edgy and controversial but I think they came from a good place and generally found their songs to lean towards being accepting and anti-hate. I think the Garcia thing was just a bad joke. They took heat for making a joke about the Vegas shooting as well. I don’t think they genuinely were happy county fans were killed but just try too hard to be shocking.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Sorry to hear that. Christmas and traditions will be very muted this year for most. It's a shame. Gotta remember to not get swayed by inertia and go ahead with traditions next year like they never went away, no matter how inconvenient they might be regarding travel, time, etc.

We're putting lights on the tree as we speak. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

NOFX seemed to always revel in being edgy and controversial but I think they came from a good place and generally found their songs to lean towards being accepting and anti-hate. I think the Garcia thing was just a bad joke. They took heat for making a joke about the Vegas shooting as well. I don’t think they genuinely were happy county fans were killed but just try too hard to be shocking.

Oh yeah, I get it. Gallows humor for sure. It's not lost on me, it's just lost on me. 

• Like 1

Love me some NOFX, which is surprising since I don't like the million other Fat Wreck bands that sound like them. I especially think Punk In Drublic is a classic punk album and would put it with the greats. "Linoleum" is a song I don't think I ever got to draft, which is a bummer. My friends and I used to sing that all the time.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, simey said:

Round 62

Whiskey - Trampled by Turtles  (Bluegrass Junction)  

Tomorrow there's a train to Carolina
Tomorrow that's where I'm gonna go
Feel the warm sunshine on my shoulders
And live my days a free and easy soul

And my home is with the hills and trees around me
Ceiling holds the moon and stars above
So I'll never be a lonely man a-walking
Never live one day without love

Nice.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Oh yeah, I get it. Gallows humor for sure. It's not lost on me, it's just lost on me. 

ditto. I found that kind of thing funny when I was 15 but not so much anymore.

3 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Today's roll was back on page 60, so here it is again for those who need:

Page 60. Our garage. *swoons*

Hey, if we built this city on rock n' roll, we're going to need convenient parking.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Numbers numbers

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls.

4d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 315, 252, 138, 771
Roll subtotal: 1476
Roll total: 1476

Soul Town (Motown/classic soul)

The Joint (reggae)

First Wave (80s alt)

On Broadway (show tunes)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Eephus said:

I had NHLPA 93 on the Genesis.  I think they took the blood out in 94.

Yep but they added 1 timers. I was a 93 guy myself. I distinctly remember playing a friend who had 94 and I figured how different could it be. I found out quick the 1 timer was a game changer.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2020 at 10:33 PM, Buffaloes said:

i think i still need to create the chill, pop rocks, and global stations. fortunately, i think those are 3 of the lightest picked stations so far

PopRocks was created, but not the other two. 

• Thanks 1