Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Genrepalooza Presents: FG Radio - Tons of Lithium but very little Chill

Pitchfork

12 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yeah, I thought you were more mid-seventies. I would have just been teasing about prior radicalism. Just wondering why. I Googled it. It was a hotbed, but not the start of the SDS

I wouldn't have guessed Ann Arbor but I knew Tom Hayden was a Michigander.

6 hours ago, Eephus said:

I wouldn't have guessed Ann Arbor but I knew Tom Hayden was a Michigander.

Ann Arbor was super radical in the 60s. Probably about as radical left as anywhere in the country has ever been. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, krista4 said:

Reminder that the band-specific channels include influences on them and covers of their songs.  Or at least the Beatles channel does; don't GAF about the others.

Fine - I will take the hint!  I am usually terrible at the Sounds like X stuff, so I have stayed away from that aspect of the channels.  

Some of you will have read this already - OK, maybe not read it but seen it - but I thought I'd post the write-up I did in the other thread on John's final days.

---INTERLUDE – John Winston Ono Lennon (October 9, 1940 – December 8, 1980)---

Along with his return to the music industry, in late 1980 John had been eyeing another return – his first trip to the UK since 1975.  He told his Aunt Mimi would watch the ships leaving NY and longingly wonder if any were heading to Liverpool.  John fantasized about boarding the QE2 and sailing home, and during the Double Fantasy recording sessions he even enlisted a friend to see about chartering the boat and see if it were able to fit up the Mersey.  A trip, whether or not on the QE2, was scheduled for early 1981, with a very happy John having called Aunt Mimi both the day before and the day of his murder to confirm it. 

His mellowing had led not only to nostalgia for his homeland, but also for the Beatles, and John was actively re-connecting with his old bandmates.  In late November 1980, he met with Ringo, who already had songs from both George and Paul on the album he was recording, and John agreed likewise to help Ringo by giving him a song or two.  John gave Ringo the demos for “Nobody Told Me” and another song, and the two booked a studio to record them together on January 14, 1981.  John also expected to connect with all of his old bandmates, at least socially if not professionally, at Ringo’s wedding to Barbara that was planned for the spring.

On December 3, 1980, John was interviewed for Rolling Stone magazine, with an accompanying photo shoot by Annie Leibovitz.  He expressed his continuing belief in the power of love and peace:  “You know…give peace a chance, not shoot people people for peace.  All we need is love.  I believe it.  It’s damned hard but I absolutely believe it.”  He also showed a new maturity is his perspective:  “I used to think the world was doing it to me and that the world owed me something…when you’re a teeny-bopper, that’s what you think.  I’m 40 now.  I don’t think that any more…”  A second photo shoot for the article was scheduled for December 8.

John spent the weekend of December 6-7 in recording sessions that were by all accounts happy and positive, with a sense of hope for the future.  John was described as having “discovered he could be grounded with his family and sober, and still put out a message people could relate to,” and to have gained an understanding of what it was to be a leader.  John shared his vision of going back out on the road and touring after the new year.  He even planned to being revisiting the Beatles songs in his performances, specifically mentioning “I Want To Hold Your Hand” as one he wanted to perform.

On December 6, John gave an interview to BBC Radio and was asked about the dangers of living in NYC; he responded by describing how great the city was, including that people came up for autographs but didn’t bug them and were just friendly.  John had taken to calling the people who hung out by the Dakota the “Dakota groupies,” but not in a negative way.  John often stopped to talk and sign autographs with the folks gathered there, and that weekend (December 6-7), a new face had joined the Dakota groupies, Mark David Chapman.

Chapman (whose background I’m not going to detail because #### him) had flown from Honolulu to NY on December 5, carrying 14 hours’ worth of Beatles music on cassette.  It was his third trip to NY to try to meet John, having not lucked into seeing him the first two times.  Chapman had loved the Beatles since his childhood, when he took solace in their music to hide from the mocking and bullying he was subjected to as a fat kid.  But he’d recently turned on John, whom he believed had betrayed the ideals of the Beatles (and Chapman personally) by acquiring wealth and becoming a hypocrite, one of the “phonies” described by Holden Caulfield’s character in The Catcher In The Rye.  Long saddled with psychiatric problems, he’d also begun to think of himself as being able to step into the shoes of and become Caulfield, but only gaining this reward if he were to kill John.

Upon arrival in NY, Chapman checked into first a YMCA and then a hotel, and bought a copy of Double Fantasy as well as the Playboy magazine containing a recent interview with John.  He hung out at the Dakota all weekend and finally saw John on Sunday, December 7.  Unlike the usually polite Dakota groupies, Chapman came aggressively close to John and starting taking pictures.  John became angry and tried to take Chapman’s camera, only retreating when Yoko shouted to him not to do it.

On Monday, December 8, after breakfast and a haircut, John gave another interview to promote Double Fantasy, followed by the follow-up photo shoot with Leibovitz.  Getting into the car on his way to the recording studio to work on a Yoko song for Milk And Honey, he noticed a Dakota groupie clutching a copy of Double Fantasy and offered to autograph it for him, a meeting that was captured in a photo by Paul Goresh.  Chapman had intended to shoot John then, but was taken aback by how nice John had been to him.  Chapman had also met Sean earlier in the afternoon outside the Dakota, reaching to shake his hand and tell him he was a “beautiful boy.”  After six hours of recording, John and Yoko left the studio around 10:30 pm, with Yoko suggesting they go out to dinner, but John eager to get home and see Sean before the boy went into dreamland.

Instead of driving into the interior courtyard, the driver dropped John and Yoko at the curb, since it was too late for the usual gatherings of Dakota groupies that they might wish to avoid.  As John emerged from the car, Chapman – still holding his autographed album – called to him, “Mr. Lennon…” and then shot John four times (a fifth shot having missed).  A doorman at the Dakota immediately called police and tried to apply first aid.  Police were on the scene quickly, finding a discarded gun on the sidewalk and Chapman leaning against the building reading The Catcher In The Rye.  Realizing there was no time for an ambulance, police loaded John into one of their cars and rushed him to the emergency room, but it was too late; he was dead upon arrival at the hospital.  As unsuccessful attempts were made to revive him and John was declared dead, “All My Loving” was playing on the hospital’s Muzak system. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 4

I'm going to start chalk-y on my John tribute songs.  This one is speaking to me today.

71.RA  Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever (Beatles Channel)  Spotify  YouTube

These two verses have just always struck me as perfectly epitomizing John:

No one I think is in my tree
I mean it must be high or low
That is you can't, you know, tune in
But it's all right
That is I think it's not too bad

Always, no, sometimes think it's me
But you know I know when it's a dream
I think a "no", I mean, a "yes", but it's all wrong
That is I think I disagree

&

(Also this is A RINGO SHOWCASE!)

• Like 5
  • Love 3

38 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

This is my #1 (not #9) John solo song.

Round 71:

Beatles channel

#9 Dream -- John Lennon

Ah! Bowakawa, pousse pousse

&

I love it when you speak French.  ;)

I thought about taking this one since my #1 and #2 solo John songs were already taken, but I knew it was your favorite so thought you might want it.

• Love 1

Round 72:

Pearl Jam channel

This Is Shangrila -- Mother Love Bone

As you probably know, MLB was Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament's band between Green River and Pearl Jam. It ended after one EP and one album when singer Andrew Wood died of a heroin overdose. This was a pivotal event in rock history. MLB had immense potential -- and their output was widely praised -- and they could have capitalized on grunge mania just as PJ did. This would have meant we likely never would have heard of Eddie Vedder or Mike McCready. Wood's death and the Seattle music community's response to it was also a catalyst for Cameron Crowe to write the script for Singles, so we may never have gotten that (and its amazing soundtrack) either. 

This is Shangrila is the opener of the Apple album and well encapsulates MLB's sound, a blend of the usual grunge influences plus healthy doses of Aerosmith and glam rock. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eephus said:

71.8 or 12 - John Lennon - Angel Baby (Beatles)

Recorded during the 1973 Phil Spector sessions

Huh. Curious to know this: What was the working relationship working with Spector like for Lennon? Or Lennon for Spector, who was probably deep in his schizophrenia/psychosis during those years? Also, what does Krista think of this as her stated usual reaction to Spector-esque stuff -- I believe -- is that it is usually the "death knell" of that song for her.

eta* Listened to the song. I don't like either of their voices on the track's verses, I like the production on both. I don't like John's falsetto during the chorus. I like Rosie Hamlin's voice on the chorus. Actually, the more I listen to it, the more I like Rosie's voice. Acquired taste.

Edited by rockaction

12 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Round 72:

Pearl Jam channel

This Is Shangrila -- Mother Love Bone

As you probably know, MLB was Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament's band between Green River and Pearl Jam. It ended after one EP and one album when singer Andrew Wood died of a heroin overdose.

This is Shangrila is the opener of the Apple album and well encapsulates MLB's sound, a blend of the usual grunge influences plus healthy doses of Aerosmith and glam rock. 

Love this. I think they were taken for Lithium, too, as I'm sure you're aware, so people do indeed appreciate the band. The soundtrack you mention has their classic Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns on it, which was probably their best diptych/song.

Chloe dance the table in the French Quarter
She's always been giving so I can't always make her laugh
But I'm proud to say
And I won't forget
The time spent laying at her side
And dreams like this must die...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Love this. I think they were taken for Lithium, too, as I'm sure you're aware, so people do indeed appreciate the band. The soundtrack you mention has their classic Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns on it, which was probably their best diptych/song.

Chloe dance the table in the French Quarter
She's always been giving so I can't always make her laugh
But I'm proud to say
And I won't forget
The time spent laying at her side
And dreams like this must die...

I would have taken that here but it was already grabbed for Lithium.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Huh. Curious to know this: What was the working relationship working with Spector like for Lennon? Or Lennon for Spector, who was probably deep in his schizophrenia/psychosis during those years? Also, what does Krista think of this as her stated usual reaction to Spector-esque stuff -- I believe -- was that it usually is the "death knell" for that song for her.

eta* Listened to the song. I don't like either of their voices on the track's verses, I like the production on both. I don't like John's falsetto during the chorus. I like Rosie Hamlin's voice on the chorus. Actually, the more I listen to it, the more I like Rosie's voice. Acquired taste.

Lennon recorded the song during his "lost weekend" period and Spector had already begun his descent to madness.  I like the recording since the wall of sound production flatters the tune but Lennon shelved some of the other songs recorded during these sessions.  After this, Spector only produced a few more records for Yoko, Leonard Cohen, Ramones and Starsailor.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, krista4 said:

Some of you will have read this already - OK, maybe not read it but seen it - but I thought I'd post the write-up I did in the other thread on John's final days.

---INTERLUDE – John Winston Ono Lennon (October 9, 1940 – December 8, 1980)---

Along with his return to the music industry, in late 1980 John had been eyeing another return – his first trip to the UK since 1975.  He told his Aunt Mimi would watch the ships leaving NY and longingly wonder if any were heading to Liverpool.  John fantasized about boarding the QE2 and sailing home, and during the Double Fantasy recording sessions he even enlisted a friend to see about chartering the boat and see if it were able to fit up the Mersey.  A trip, whether or not on the QE2, was scheduled for early 1981, with a very happy John having called Aunt Mimi both the day before and the day of his murder to confirm it. 

His mellowing had led not only to nostalgia for his homeland, but also for the Beatles, and John was actively re-connecting with his old bandmates.  In late November 1980, he met with Ringo, who already had songs from both George and Paul on the album he was recording, and John agreed likewise to help Ringo by giving him a song or two.  John gave Ringo the demos for “Nobody Told Me” and another song, and the two booked a studio to record them together on January 14, 1981.  John also expected to connect with all of his old bandmates, at least socially if not professionally, at Ringo’s wedding to Barbara that was planned for the spring.

On December 3, 1980, John was interviewed for Rolling Stone magazine, with an accompanying photo shoot by Annie Leibovitz.  He expressed his continuing belief in the power of love and peace:  “You know…give peace a chance, not shoot people people for peace.  All we need is love.  I believe it.  It’s damned hard but I absolutely believe it.”  He also showed a new maturity is his perspective:  “I used to think the world was doing it to me and that the world owed me something…when you’re a teeny-bopper, that’s what you think.  I’m 40 now.  I don’t think that any more…”  A second photo shoot for the article was scheduled for December 8.

John spent the weekend of December 6-7 in recording sessions that were by all accounts happy and positive, with a sense of hope for the future.  John was described as having “discovered he could be grounded with his family and sober, and still put out a message people could relate to,” and to have gained an understanding of what it was to be a leader.  John shared his vision of going back out on the road and touring after the new year.  He even planned to being revisiting the Beatles songs in his performances, specifically mentioning “I Want To Hold Your Hand” as one he wanted to perform.

On December 6, John gave an interview to BBC Radio and was asked about the dangers of living in NYC; he responded by describing how great the city was, including that people came up for autographs but didn’t bug them and were just friendly.  John had taken to calling the people who hung out by the Dakota the “Dakota groupies,” but not in a negative way.  John often stopped to talk and sign autographs with the folks gathered there, and that weekend (December 6-7), a new face had joined the Dakota groupies, Mark David Chapman.

Chapman (whose background I’m not going to detail because #### him) had flown from Honolulu to NY on December 5, carrying 14 hours’ worth of Beatles music on cassette.  It was his third trip to NY to try to meet John, having not lucked into seeing him the first two times.  Chapman had loved the Beatles since his childhood, when he took solace in their music to hide from the mocking and bullying he was subjected to as a fat kid.  But he’d recently turned on John, whom he believed had betrayed the ideals of the Beatles (and Chapman personally) by acquiring wealth and becoming a hypocrite, one of the “phonies” described by Holden Caulfield’s character in The Catcher In The Rye.  Long saddled with psychiatric problems, he’d also begun to think of himself as being able to step into the shoes of and become Caulfield, but only gaining this reward if he were to kill John.

Upon arrival in NY, Chapman checked into first a YMCA and then a hotel, and bought a copy of Double Fantasy as well as the Playboy magazine containing a recent interview with John.  He hung out at the Dakota all weekend and finally saw John on Sunday, December 7.  Unlike the usually polite Dakota groupies, Chapman came aggressively close to John and starting taking pictures.  John became angry and tried to take Chapman’s camera, only retreating when Yoko shouted to him not to do it.

On Monday, December 8, after breakfast and a haircut, John gave another interview to promote Double Fantasy, followed by the follow-up photo shoot with Leibovitz.  Getting into the car on his way to the recording studio to work on a Yoko song for Milk And Honey, he noticed a Dakota groupie clutching a copy of Double Fantasy and offered to autograph it for him, a meeting that was captured in a photo by Paul Goresh.  Chapman had intended to shoot John then, but was taken aback by how nice John had been to him.  Chapman had also met Sean earlier in the afternoon outside the Dakota, reaching to shake his hand and tell him he was a “beautiful boy.”  After six hours of recording, John and Yoko left the studio around 10:30 pm, with Yoko suggesting they go out to dinner, but John eager to get home and see Sean before the boy went into dreamland.

Instead of driving into the interior courtyard, the driver dropped John and Yoko at the curb, since it was too late for the usual gatherings of Dakota groupies that they might wish to avoid.  As John emerged from the car, Chapman – still holding his autographed album – called to him, “Mr. Lennon…” and then shot John four times (a fifth shot having missed).  A doorman at the Dakota immediately called police and tried to apply first aid.  Police were on the scene quickly, finding a discarded gun on the sidewalk and Chapman leaning against the building reading The Catcher In The Rye.  Realizing there was no time for an ambulance, police loaded John into one of their cars and rushed him to the emergency room, but it was too late; he was dead upon arrival at the hospital.  As unsuccessful attempts were made to revive him and John was declared dead, “All My Loving” was playing on the hospital’s Muzak system. 

I’m not sure if I commented in the other thread, but the recount of the night makes me shudder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

Huh. Curious to know this: What was the working relationship working with Spector like for Lennon? Or Lennon for Spector, who was probably deep in his schizophrenia/psychosis during those years? Also, what does Krista think of this as her stated usual reaction to Spector-esque stuff -- I believe -- was that it usually is the "death knell" for that song for her.

I'll wait for the in-depth Krista reply but I know Spector pulled a gun on John at some point.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Pffftttt...who hasn’t he pulled a gun on?

He pulled guns on the Ramones. That's why I asked the question. End Of The Century, a much-maligned album that I happen to love, was Spector and the Ramones together in the studio. He threatened them at gunpoint, too. 

Just now, rockaction said:

He pulled guns on the Ramones. That's why I asked the question. End Of The Century, a much-maligned album that I happen to love, was Spector and the Ramones together in the studio. He threatened them at gunpoint, too. 

Yes. There’s stories about him pulling guns on  the Ramones, Lennon, Debbie Harry, Leonard Cohen and maybe others. Someone should have hidden his guns it seems.

Just now, Dr. Octopus said:

Yes. There’s stories about him pulling guns on  the Ramones, Lennon, Debbie Harry, Leonard Cohen and maybe others. Someone should have hidden his guns it seems.

Yep. I was just giving my own personal impetus for asking about Lennon and Spector. You're right -- he pulled guns on a lot of people. What a laroosh, as SWC would say.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Unfortunately, Lana Clarkson is the one he finally murdered with a gun.

• Sad 3

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls.

4d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 785, 506, 255, 187
Roll subtotal: 1733
Roll total: 1733

Bluesville

The Bridge (mellow classic rock)

The Joint (reggae)

PopRocks

• Like 4