What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquez Callaway, NO (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
Think this kid deserves his own thread. Good dynasty stash for those with roster space.

Here is a Twitter thread discussing him:

https://twitter.com/FF_Smyth/status/1320738423557292032

Dynasty Stash
Marquez Callaway needs to be rostered in all leagues
10 Targets
8 Rec
75 Yards
27% Target Share

6’1 205 lbs - plays way bigger than he is
Breakout age of 19.4 in the SEC
College dominator of 33%
Undrafted out of Tennessee
Played with a below average QB throughout college

Was Tennessee’s best WR by a large margin
30 Rec 630 yards 6 TDs last season

Saints have used him in his first two games as a short game receiver

In college his YPC was 21
He can do it all

Emmanuel Sanders (33 years old) only signed through 2021
Tro’Quan Smith - already passed up

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost opened a thread on him yesterday.  Thanks for this. Even if you believe Brees isn't playing next year, if Winston is throwing, Callaway could still thrive.  

Saints WR Marquez Callaway missed Wednesday and Thursday's practice with an ankle issue. 

The Saints' surprise No. 1 wideout in Week 7, Callaway is now in danger of missing Sunday's game against the Bears after he went down late vs. the Panthers. Even if Callaway gets cleared, it appears Michael Thomas (hamstring, ankle) could be returning. Callaway is disappearing from the WR4 mix just as quickly as he appeared. 

SOURCE: Mike Triplett on Twitter 

Oct 29, 2020, 4:55 PM ET

Saints WR Marquez Callaway (ankle) won't play in Week 8 against the Bears.

Michael Thomas (ankle, hamstring) and Emmanuel Sanders (COVID) are not expected to play, either. Saints will lean on Tre'Quan Smith and Deonte Harris in a brutal matchup against Chicago's secondary, which has limited opposing wideouts the league's fifth-fewest fantasy points this year. Smith can be used over Harris for fantasy players desperate for options.

SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter

Oct 30, 2020, 4:00 PM ET

Mike Triplett ESPN Staff Writer 

Saints WR Marquez Callaway could be a sneaky bargain play in daily fantasy leagues in Week 17. The undrafted rookie caught just three passes for 26 yards after returning from IR in Week 16, but he led all Saints receivers with 42 snaps played.

Bump. Just added this guy as he has a legit shot of beat out Tre'quan as the WR2 on this team. Really under the radar.

As MT owner glad I made a speculative pickup in Callaway. Even if he’s just a 7/80 WR2 filler for bye weeks I’ll take it. 

The New Orleans Advocate's Luke Johnson said Marquez Callaway is taking "ownership of being the top dog at receiver" for the Saints. 

Michael Thomas (ankle) and Tre'Quan Smith (leg) are sidelined at Saints training camp, leaving Callaway as the team's default No. 1 wideout. Though we haven't received details on the severity of Smith's leg issue, Callaway could make valuable headway as the Saints' top receiver during the first month of the season. Thomas, after undergoing June foot surgery, is expected to miss at least a few weeks of the regular season. Callaway functioned as the Saints WR1 in a Week 7 game last year against Carolina, leading the team in targets. The team's injury woes make Callaway a sneaky floor option in deeper formats. 

RELATED: 

Michael Thomas

, Tre'Quan Smith

SOURCE: Luke Johnson on Twitter 

Aug 6, 2021, 12:22 PM ET

Kinda feeling like this can be summed up with, “I have one nickel in my change jar. It is my shiniest, best nickel.”

With no one else healthy, he is the default WR. I wouldn’t view him as a #1 WR. lol

Kinda feeling like this can be summed up with, “I have one nickel in my change jar. It is my shiniest, best nickel.”

With no one else healthy, he is the default WR. I wouldn’t view him as a #1 WR. lol

The clarification is he could be the Saints #1 (while Thomas is out) but that doesn't mean he will be a #1 FF WR...it does mean if he is worthy of a roster spot because it does appear the opportunity could be there in a big way...on another note the Saints seem to have cloned Robert Meacham and or/Devery Henderson because almost every WR they have have had not named Colston or Thomas reminds me of them.

The clarification is he could be the Saints #1 (while Thomas is out) but that doesn't mean he will be a #1 FF WR...it does mean if he is worthy of a roster spot because it does appear the opportunity could be there in a big way...on another note the Saints seem to have cloned Robert Meacham and or/Devery Henderson because almost every WR they have have had not named Colston or Thomas reminds me of them.
Oh I understand all that. I was making a funny. 

I expect T. Smith to be the 1 if he’s healthy though. 

I got into a bit of a thing on twitter about this guy. Someone that is a big fan is saying we are all sleeping on Callaway and that we need to go get him now. Someone asked him to rank him in this 2021 class and where he would take him today. He said somewhere around Bateman and R Moore. 

Others blasted him hard for that. One said that we know who Callaway is and this is just a one-year rental at best. I said that in FFPC those two WRs are going late 1st/early 2nd, and in a lot of my rookie drafts in May those guys lasted until the mid 2nd. So I don't know maybe that isn't too crazy far away from what most of us agreed we would be willing to pay to get Callaway, a 3rd. 

But if we assume he hits this year, which may not happen, would it be crazy to compare him to guys in that mid 2nd range? I don't think so. I wouldn't pay more than a 3rd either. 

But my redraft eyes are wide open. As if I need an 8th viable WR.

The only way I buy Calloway being FF relevant is if

1. Michael Thomas is out for months, not weeks. Possible, I guess. Because when he comes back, where’s Calloway in the pecking order? Behind Thomas, Kamara & maybe Troutman (or “slash II” Taysom Hill if Winston is the starting QB)?
2. Winston wins the starting job. If it’s Hill, I expect receiving production to be down across the board for the Saints. If it’s Winston, ok - he’ll sling it all over. So if  Calloway holds off T.Smith for targets, see #1: he’s still likely to be 3rd or 4th in the pecking order once Thomas returns.

Not hating on Calloway. Just trying to take a mile high step-back view of the situation. It’s hard to see long term viability in redraft at the moment.

I expect T. Smith to be the 1 if he’s healthy though. 
I'll take the other side on this one. I've been waiting a while for the Trequan breakout. The very game it looked imminent last season (no Thomas or Sanders iirc) Callaway walked in and took the majority of targets and looked better. 

I agree with the rest of your points in other posts. If Hill is the starter or if Thomas doesn't miss much time, I'm not very optimistic on any WR behind Thomas. 

Not hating on Calloway. Just trying to take a mile high step-back view of the situation. It’s hard to see long term viability in redraft at the moment.
There is zero risk. He is going in the late teens (if he is even drafted). If he doesn't explode on the scene, or if it becomes obvious that he is low in the pecking order, then you cut bait and move on. Big whoop. It's like saying if you go for a drive to the movies, the windshield might get struck by a small pebble while in route and gets a small chip. And it gets covered by insurance later and you still go to the movies. When a 1st or 2nd round pick busts it is maybe more like a brick falling out the back of someone's truck and nailing your windshield at speed. You maybe aren't going to the movies that night. 

As for 1 and 2, for me, I have serious doubts about Thomas coming back to form, both in terms of his foot and his stature with the team. If he does come back to form, I still see Callaway as the obvious number 2 WR. Yes it will be Thomas and Kamara and everyone else fighting for scraps, even with Winston at the helm, but Callaway stands to be the 3 in that scenario on a pass first team. I have Winston winning the job easily, they're just making him earn it before they announce it. If I am wrong, it is just a tiny pebble if Hill hurts Callaway's share. Even though they did pass a lot when he started last year and if they make him the starter they will still pass a lot. It wasn't a Tebow offense or something.

But the immense upside of a late round pick that hits is *always* worth taking at such little-to-nothing cost. It makes up for possible early misses and it turns a good team into a great team. There is a very real world where he is the #1 receiver all year for this team. Maybe instead of a pebble hitting the windshield, you get there without incident and it becomes one of the best movies you've ever seen? 

Anyway take them both in redraft if Callaway is too risky for his (almost) free price.

I'll take the other side on this one. I've been waiting a while for the Trequan breakout. The very game it looked imminent last season (no Thomas or Sanders iirc) Callaway walked in and took the majority of targets and looked better. 
Honestly that's my weakest take on the Saints, and I am not really targeting T.Smith - but if he is the WR2, he could potentially have post-hype value. If he isn't, then we should probably all give up on him at this point as a bust, because as you've said, he's been fading since last year (though we never really saw him working extensively with HOF-caliber era Brees, so...not sure how fair it is)

I agree with the rest of your points in other posts. If Hill is the starter or if Thomas doesn't miss much time, I'm not very optimistic on any WR behind Thomas. 

Yeah - it's just hard to see him being viable as I think his target share could be low regardless. And if Hill starts, all of those designed QB run plays are not pass plays. I mean, I know that's obvious, but it's worth saying out loud so I can remind myself to downgrade Saints receivers if that comes to pass. 

There is zero risk. He is going in the late teens (if he is even drafted). If he doesn't explode on the scene, or if it becomes obvious that he is low in the pecking order, then you cut bait and move on. Big whoop. It's like saying if you go for a drive to the movies, the windshield might get struck by a small pebble while in route and gets a small chip. And it gets covered by insurance later and you still go to the movies. When a 1st or 2nd round pick busts it is maybe more like a brick falling out the back of someone's truck and nailing your windshield at speed. You maybe aren't going to the movies that night. 

As for 1 and 2, for me, I have serious doubts about Thomas coming back to form, both in terms of his foot and his stature with the team. If he does come back to form, I still see Callaway as the obvious number 2 WR. Yes it will be Thomas and Kamara and everyone else fighting for scraps, even with Winston at the helm, but Callaway stands to be the 3 in that scenario on a pass first team. I have Winston winning the job easily, they're just making him earn it before they announce it. If I am wrong, it is just a tiny pebble if Hill hurts Callaway's share. Even though they did pass a lot when he started last year and if they make him the starter they will still pass a lot. It wasn't a Tebow offense or something.
Oh sure  - if the investment is low enough, you could be spot on. 

But IMO that's only with Jameis at QB.  I see potential for them both to be roster cloggers if Hill is the QB. 

But the immense upside of a late round pick that hits is *always* worth taking at such little-to-nothing cost. It makes up for possible early misses and it turns a good team into a great team. There is a very real world where he is the #1 receiver all year for this team. Maybe instead of a pebble hitting the windshield, you get there without incident and it becomes one of the best movies you've ever seen? 

Anyway take them both in redraft if Callaway is too risky for his (almost) free price.
I don't see this as particularly likely, but I won't hate on anyone for believing it. I do see a scenario where in that low chance that he becomes the WR1 for this team, he's still 3rd in the pecking order and not very valuable for FF.

But as you suggest, at his price tag, he's a painless drop if that comes to pass.  

The Athletic's Katherine Terrell reported that second-year WR Marquez Callaway is the "go-to man" for both Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill at Saints camp.

With Michael Thomas sidelined indefinitely and Tre'Quan Smith missing practice time due to injury, Callaway seems to have stepped up as the Saints' WR1. This passing attack will run heavily through Alvin Kamara, but it appears Callaway is New Orleans' best wideout right now. It remains to be seen whether they'll add another wide receiver, but Callaway is an intriguing late-round dart.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 10, 2021, 2:50 PM ET

I have a dynasty IDP roster with a Callaway, and he has been that near-cut guy for months.

Every time I pick someone up, my cursor lingers over his name. I've probably nearly cut this guy 25 times, but never have.

Has size and passable athletic numbers. I wonder if he could really make noise this year. 

One caveat, and it's kind of an unfair one because it involves a different player ... but:

Anyone remember the Emmanuel Butler hype from last preseason? Then again, Marquez Callaway was actually on the 53-man last season, so that's clearly a leg up over a preseason-hype guy like Butler.

Has size and passable athletic numbers. I wonder if he could really make noise this year. 
feels like fool's gold, but I've been wrong before.  If Winston is tabbed the starting QB, I'd be a little more excited because he'll wing it downfield a lot more than Hill, IMO. I would definitely hold until that's decided. 

Glad to have him with MT in limbo but wow he looked slowwww after that catch. Like a tight end. 
I mean, he was an excellent kick returner, so you know he's not slow. Also has good field vision, sets up his blockers well on returns. How that translates to being a #1 WR for your team I have no idea, but there is a reason there's so much buzz about him at camp.

I mean, he was an excellent kick returner, so you know he's not slow. Also has good field vision, sets up his blockers well on returns. How that translates to being a #1 WR for your team I have no idea, but there is a reason there's so much buzz about him at camp.

Or so one might think...

Was Colston a burner?  Nope.
Hey, look, I want the best from this guy. I traded the farm in the '20 offseason to get MT so gettin WR2 performance out of Callaway would be great. But my casual observation from one clip is he ain't running away from anybody.

Glad to have him with MT in limbo but wow he looked slowwww after that catch. Like a tight end. 
He's not a burner, but Callaway is well fast enough. In that particular clip, he was boxed in and it looked to me like Callaway slowed down some to look for a crease before being forced out of bounds.

Maybe we'll one day see a clip of him being chased down by a linebacker from across the field or something like that. Until then, I'll not worry too much about his speed. No more than I worried about Michael Irvin's or Isaac Bruce's.

Best sleeper out there to take with the last pick before your kicker as I did yesterday.  Dude is legit, and it's only fitting he wears Colston's old number.  2 catches and an amazing TD on the first drive with Winston.

Best sleeper out there to take with the last pick before your kicker as I did yesterday.  Dude is legit, and it's only fitting he wears Colston's old number.  2 catches and an amazing TD on the first drive with Winston.
He won’t be any more. By the time I draft on Saturday there’ll be 37 sleeper articles about him. 

I was already getting on board. After that catch, I rescind everything I said previously. Kid’s a baller. That was incredible.
He was making waves last season before the injury even with the WRs they had.  He will hold things down until Thomas returns thankfully.

Users who are viewing this thread