What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nostradamus Waiver Wire (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
Looking for thoughts on players that might come out of nowhere (waivers) and make an impact on the second half of the season.  Seems like every year has a couple.  

This isn't the weekly waiver wire thread - this is a longer play.

• Irv Smith is trending up and may be a better TE than the one you own
  • Gus Edwards.  Maybe not a favorite to make an impact but he's looking better than Ingram.  If he parlays some of Ingram's carries into his own - maybe
  • Z Moss - Singletary stumbling, Moss shining in spots.  Likely takes one good game to take over the lions share

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this thread ideas. Unfortunately all those guys are rostered in my league (12 team, 10 bench). 

I'm hoping to land Deejay Dallas tonight on the WW as the next stud coming out in Seattle. Carson and Hyde already dinged. He's climbing the ladder in a really potent offense. 

I like the calls of Edwards and Dallas.

Could Hasty (currently the only healthy RB) or Coleman (soon to be returning) take the reigns in SF and lead you to FF glory? I doubt it but it may be worth a gamble given the potential payoff. 

Someone that I don't see talked about much in the recent waiver wire articles is Marquez Callaway of the Saints. I don't know much about the guy other than he's an undrafted rookie WR who they liked enough to keep on the active roster and caught 8 balls for 70 some yards last game with Thomas and Sanders out. It could be for good reason because with the two aforementioned WRs, TE Cook, and RB Kamara he could end up being 5th in line for targets in a passing game that isn't exactly lighting the world on fire this year. But who knows what's exactly going on with Thomas and Sanders hasn't made as big of an impact as one would think so far. Some WR will still need to catch the ball in that offense. Could it be him? 

I keep picking up and dropping Zack Moss in a bunch of leagues. It would probably take a Singletary injury to really have him take over, though. I agree that Gus Edwards is a great move, possibly even for this Sunday (or J.K. Dobbins if he's available). Deejay Dallas would be a smart move even if Hyde plays this week. Carson could get hurt again. Looking a bit further, it might be good to try and guess who might get traded before the deadline. David Njoku, a bunch of Houston Texans, and even A.J. Green if he's out there in a shallow league.

There are rumors of the Vikings possibly trading Kyle Rudolph which if that does happen I would expect Irv Smiths opportunities to increase.

Not sure if a trade will happen though. One of the things I read was talking about how at least one GM wanted to trade for Smith rather than Rudolph.

I like this thread ideas. Unfortunately all those guys are rostered in my league (12 team, 10 bench). 

I'm hoping to land Deejay Dallas tonight on the WW as the next stud coming out in Seattle. Carson and Hyde already dinged. He's climbing the ladder in a really potent offense. 
Didn't land Deejay. 😥

Dude almost got Russell Wilson killed on Sunday night when the rush of air from a blitzing LB running past almost knocked him off his feet. It was the last series in regulation for SEA.

Lost in pass protection is #1 reason for keeping rookie RBs off the field.

Maybe not nostradamus but Marcus Johnson seems to be a forgotten man. Had 100 yard game before the bye and TY Hilton has been awful this year. MJ could be emerging as the go-to WR in Indy. 

Reagor in redrafts if he is out there.  Practicing now and maybe forgotten by many in redraft leagues.  Fulgham has put up great numbers but Reagor has the pedigree so he might get a chance once healthy.
2 different types of WR too. Reagor is the vertical threat while Fulgham is more mid level possession.

Reagor in redrafts if he is out there.  Practicing now and maybe forgotten by many in redraft leagues.  Fulgham has put up great numbers but Reagor has the pedigree so he might get a chance once healthy.
I’m currently thinking if I should drop either Landry or AJG for him. I was just about to throw his name out there in this thread 

I’m currently thinking if I should drop either Landry or AJG for him. I was just about to throw his name out there in this thread 
Depends on what you need and what those guys fill for your lineup.  If you are looking for a ceiling buster and are solid in your lineup without Landry/AJG then I would go for it.  If you relay on those guys for flex production and need floor points then keep them.  For me it all depends on what you need out of that roster spot.  

I know this is the wrong forum for this and don’t want to get too far into it but I’ve never started either of them they are merely bench depth at this point. 

Depends on what you need and what those guys fill for your lineup.  If you are looking for a ceiling buster and are solid in your lineup without Landry/AJG then I would go for it.  If you relay on those guys for flex production and need floor points then keep them.  For me it all depends on what you need out of that roster spot.  

Anyhow some of the guys I think could be league winners down the stretch are some rookies (moss, dobbins, Ruggs, and Shenault), some young vets (Goedert, Diontae Johnson, Deebo, Hardman) some older vets (Carson, Melvin Gordon, Stafford, Latavius Murray) and maybe even a free agent off the streets (Dez Bryant). There’s probably more but that’s all I can think of off the top of my head right now

great thread btw

Mooney for the Bears might turn into a decent flex option - as could Miller.

Miller had a decent run at the end of last season - so there's a chance - but one needs to emerge and take the iions share

Mooney for the Bears might turn into a decent flex option - as could Miller.

Miller had a decent run at the end of last season - so there's a chance - but one needs to emerge and take the iions share
I held mooney most of the year. Just cut him because I don't think the opportunity is there with the offense. Love Nick Foles as a person but he is not a very good QB right now. 

I like Guyton and I like another guy on the Chargers too; am I alone in thinking if Henry misses some time Parham could become a thing? Particularly in TE premium lgs.

Penny returning at some point may impact that. He's another guy on my radar

zamboni said:
Denzel Mims is guy to watch IMO. Flashed a bit last week, albeit with Crowder out (and still banged up). 

The Dude said:
Pittman when back in playing shape for the Colts
Like both these takes.

A.J. Dillon is a guy I'd back as Mixon is dinged a lot. 

Montgomery is getting loads of carries, so wonder if a guy like Nall or Pierce might come out of nowhere if Monty goes down.

Not sure any of the above count as an injury has to occur to happen. 

Re: Reagor.  I am basically a full time Reagor stan.  Go get him immediately.  Pay up or drop any marginal guy you are thinking of for him.

Jalen Reagor Fantasy Outlook: Waiver Wire Must-Stash, Upside to Approach Rookie Odell

Summary: Sprint to Waiver Wire for Jalen Reagor

Despite the tough breaks to begin his career, Reagor is a do-it-all WR who’s landed in the perfect situation to, well, do-it-all.

A litany of injuries around Reagor should lead to massive target shares upon insertion. Wentz is stepping up. The schedule is softer than my dad bod.

Could Reagor go down in flames? Absolutely. But he also defines the type of upside we use the end of our bench for. Plus, Reagor is back in practice, and reportedly “on track for Sunday.”

Under the bright Sunday Night Lights versus the Cowboys, a rookie star WR is born, and outshines the rest of a historic class. We saw how this identical narrative played out in 2014. Time is an endless loop, and history could indeed repeat itself, only his Name. Is. Reagor.

Get ahead now. Hell, even consider him for a Bye Week flex fill-in should he play.

In a season where rookie WRs are exploding unlike ever before, all the stars align for the next massive breakout, Wolves. Don’t miss this one.

zamboni said:
Denzel Mims is guy to watch IMO. Flashed a bit last week, albeit with Crowder out (and still banged up). 

Should be a lot of pass happy scripts, especially this week playing KC, and even Gase probably wants to see what this kid can do.
Agree completely. 

Some context on his modest but respectable 4 for 42 on 7 targets.  The 4 catches were all in the first half and then supposedly BUF switched Tre White onto him in the second half.  That kind of attention in a guy's first game tells me a lot.

If Crowder (groin) and Perriman (concussion) are out again this week, we could see some nice stats in week 8 at KC.

Agree completely. 

Some context on his modest but respectable 4 for 42 on 7 targets.  The 4 catches were all in the first half and then supposedly BUF switched Tre White onto him in the second half.  That kind of attention in a guy's first game tells me a lot.

If Crowder (groin) and Perriman (concussion) are out again this week, we could see some nice stats in week 8 at KC.
Agree on first half versus second half for Mims, but keep in mind that the entire Jets passing offense had like 10 yards in the second half. So the whole bottom dropped out, not just Mims.

Jaylen Guyton maybe...he’s already flashed the deep threat, just needs more targets. 
I just think he is too hit or miss so you will never know when to put him in the lineup.  With Allen, Williams, Henry he is #4 at best.  He will get the occasional long ball and TD but the lack of consistent targets really make him nothing more that an absolute desperation play if you need a boom game to win and anything else doesn't matter.  

Insein said:
I held mooney most of the year. Just cut him because I don't think the opportunity is there with the offense. Love Nick Foles as a person but he is not a very good QB right now. 
I'm going to add Mooney, and here's why:

- He passes the eyeball test for me, seems like he has great hands, awareness and goes up and gets the ball

- Foles is averaging 38 pass attempts in his 5 games this year and Mooney has averaged 6 targets in all of those games. With Cohen out there's not much competition after Robinson, hopefully he sees an uptick in targets as he/Foles get more comfortable

- The last four teams the Bears played are all top 10 in yielding points to QBs/WRs (LA, TB, IND + CAR). Conversely 6 of the last 9, including the next 3,  are against the bottom 10 for WRs/12 for QBs in the same statistic (Saints, Titans, Texans, Jags, Vikes X2). 

Thinking (hoping) he can develop into a nice flex/WR3 with a softer schedule.

11 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Penny returning at some point may impact that. He's another guy on my radar

Like both these takes.

A.J. Dillon is a guy I'd back as Mixon is dinged a lot. [b/]

Montgomery is getting loads of carries, so wonder if a guy like Nall or Pierce might come out of nowhere if Monty goes down.

Not sure any of the above count as an injury has to occur to happen. 

You mean Jones?  

When possible I try to keep my 3 IR spots stuffed with potential.  I usually have to drop my kicker or DST to get the roster spot so I can run the conveyor belt into the IR spot.  Currently I have Tevin Coleman, Jalen Reagor and Raheem Mostert in there.  Sony Michel was there for a while but I dropped him to pick up Reagor.

Even if Coleman and Reagor are activated this week I can let them sit there this weekend.  Then on Monday can reevaluate - maybe one of my regulars got hurt and can swap them into the IR spot.  Or if I don't need to make roster moves I can let them ride in the IR spot.  Or I can cut them, and hopefully force a feeding frenzy on the FAAB market.

IR spots give you more options - don't let them go to waste.  So far I've never hit the lottery on any of these moves, but one of these days a ticket has to come in.

Depending on your record and format, I'm in playoff-stash mode for a few guys:

• 49ers DST and any other players get WAS-DAL-ARI in 14-15-16
  • If Burrow is out there somehow, he's got Dallas in 14 and Houston in 16 (gotta find someone else for 15) (Jimmy G a good pairing maybe)
  • Gus Edwards starts week 13 with a great run if Ingram/Dobbins get hurt - Dallas, Cle, Jac, NYG
  • Logan Thomas and/or some other secondary WAS receiver gets Seattle during playoff time

This is a little more pending and could be in the regular waiver wire thread.

chargers get Denver, Miami (behind tea) and jets in 3 of the next 4 weeks.  

I would be storing defenses that face the jets.  If they move crowder it’s going to get a lot worse.

I think Cleveland plays them in week 16

This is a little more pending and could be in the regular waiver wire thread.

chargers get Denver, Miami (behind tea) and jets in 3 of the next 4 weeks.  

I would be storing defenses that face the jets.  If they move crowder it’s going to get a lot worse.

I think Cleveland plays them in week 16
Yep been keeping track of that. 

Laviska and also Cobb from Houston are routinely selected and then cut at some point in the week or the week after. I was playing with Shenault and then gravitated to Higgins, I try to make a rule not to have multiple rookie WRs on my team, there's exceptions but in general they are not reliable. 

Cobb is different but he has been steady in Houston and while the numbers have not been high, he has posted totals of 10-19-10-10-17 in 5 of the last 6 weeks with a DUD game somewhere towards to beginning of that run, he should see enough targets vs the Jags that a WR ranked 35th in PPR and only owned by 47% according to RTSports and then you pour in the BYE weeks this week and it's kind of criminal he isn't on more rosters as a Flex option at least. 

Those are a couple names I believe in more than some of the others because they have proven they can do it or there is some data to support taking them. They might not be HUGE returns but Shenault is getting better, wish the QB was a little stronger and he has competition for targets. 

Cobb is not getting better, he's a 10 yr Vet but down the stretch Houston might try harder just so they don't give Miami a Top5 pick, that would really rub it in their nose how bad the season was and the damage left by...what's his name? 

Sitting on and spot starting Z Moss, D Swift, J Reagor, and Antonio Brown now. Looking for a TE like you MoP, lost Kittles, and picked up Ebron. 

Edit: Forever looking to add that potential "league winner" or even solid play that produces more then expected coming down the stretch.

More of a deep dynasty take than redraft. Guys who recently were added to active rosters that have a chance to make a splash this week:

Salvon Ahmed RB MIA - Would anyone be surprised if he ended up with the lion's shares of touches? Gaskin 1.1?

Kirk Merritt WR MIA - Just brought him up to PS after trading Ford. Great athlete who had off field issues. Could make a big play or two and he'll be on everyone's radar.

Alex Collins RB SEA - Not a ton of runway with Carson/Hyde probably due back soon, but I wouldn't feel good about starting DeeJay Dallas, another situation where Collins could end up stealing the show this week

Looking for thoughts on players that might come out of nowhere (waivers) and make an impact on the second half of the season.  Seems like every year has a couple.  

This isn't the weekly waiver wire thread - this is a longer play.

• Irv Smith is trending up and may be a better TE than the one you own
  • Gus Edwards.  Maybe not a favorite to make an impact but he's looking better than Ingram.  If he parlays some of Ingram's carries into his own - maybe
  • Z Moss - Singletary stumbling, Moss shining in spots.  Likely takes one good game to take over the lions share
2 TDs today already...you did a pretty amazing job playing Nostradamus 😉

Time to revive the thread.  Some great advice in here.  

Logan Thomas might blow up with Smith at qb  - I recall a connection with kelce and reed

Maybe a wr in Las Vegas

Might be time to try Akers after a bye

Salvon Ahmed, RB Miami. Got 7 carries this week and had more yardage than Howard despite less carries. Will depend on Brieda and how long he's out but could be an interesting play as Howard just hasn't caught on as the feature back. 

Salvon Ahmed, RB Miami. Got 7 carries this week and had more yardage than Howard despite less carries. Will depend on Brieda and how long he's out but could be an interesting play as Howard just hasn't caught on as the feature back. 
What do we know about this Ahmed kid? 

My friend @Man In The Box posted this name in our Miami thread and I think it's a great name for folks to put on a short list and he will be overlooked meaning you can probably go collect him even after waivers if you have other priorities. 

Preston Williams is out for at least the next 3 weeks to a month and Ford was traded, but we have a solid name that many of us Phins have been high on for some time, and that's Jakeem Grant. Allow me to take you for a quick spin so you know what you're getting into and I'm going to point something out you should know. 

Grant is about at his career total for receptions in a season already but here's the key, he's doing that on even less targets. His Catch % is 75% and I would assume the coaches know that and more importantly Tua is going to catch on real quick that his(Tua's) skill set matches up well with Grant. 

He tied for his most targets to date this year, 5 and that was with Williams leaving in the 1st half, I expect that number to increase some over the coming weeks, maybe a solid 6-8 targets a week. 

Now his production is not that much to write home about just yet but I feel that by the time that part hits the equation that it will be too late and the cat's out of the bag. I would grab him as last guy on the bench and see what happens with all these cream puffs the Phins have over the next month. Very soft schedule and they don't run the ball very well right now. 

Should be a lot of pass happy scripts, especially this week playing KC, and even Gase probably wants to see what this kid can do.
Still feel like Mims might have some payoff.  Gotta hold your nose with all things Jets of course.

Ministry of Pain said:
My friend @Man In The Box posted this name in our Miami thread and I think it's a great name for folks to put on a short list and he will be overlooked meaning you can probably go collect him even after waivers if you have other priorities. 

Preston Williams is out for at least the next 3 weeks to a month and Ford was traded, but we have a solid name that many of us Phins have been high on for some time, and that's Jakeem Grant. Allow me to take you for a quick spin so you know what you're getting into and I'm going to point something out you should know. 

Grant is about at his career total for receptions in a season already but here's the key, he's doing that on even less targets. His Catch % is 75% and I would assume the coaches know that and more importantly Tua is going to catch on real quick that his(Tua's) skill set matches up well with Grant. 

He tied for his most targets to date this year, 5 and that was with Williams leaving in the 1st half, I expect that number to increase some over the coming weeks, maybe a solid 6-8 targets a week. 

Now his production is not that much to write home about just yet but I feel that by the time that part hits the equation that it will be too late and the cat's out of the bag. I would grab him as last guy on the bench and see what happens with all these cream puffs the Phins have over the next month. Very soft schedule and they don't run the ball very well right now. 
I have always liked Grant but he is a very small player. I do think it takes extra accuracy to find him if a defender is near. He is blazing fast though and as you point out his efficiency numbers are up so far this season compared to his career numbers.

Isaiah Ford has played more snaps and targets than Grant has so far this season but Grant did play more snaps than Ford in most recent game and he has done more with his targets than Ford has.

Can you tell us some more about these two WR and why you think Grant is the better option?

Users who are viewing this thread