Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Ben Simmons jump shot actually worse than the curse of Atlanta sports

2 hours ago, SWC said:

we all know why you want to do the whole dont look at the boxscore thing and its because trae young averaged 25 points per game this season but he averaged 29 against the sixers ole croc didnt even hold him to his average let alone below it take that to the bank brohan  

I'm always in all of this Ben is a shut down defender talk when he repeatedly gets lit up for 25-30 PTS a game. Ben is a decent defender but going back to College he had a lot of issues defending players. Teams were not scared on offense to go at Ben which is why he had the gaudy blacks and steal numbers he did. He accumulated better numbers in those categories because of the outrageous number of attempts he had to do so. I've said for awhile the Sixers have done great hiding his defensive flaws but put Ben on a worse defensive team and he's exposed. I mean Ben is helped to a degree by being almost 7FT talll with his wingspan already and being fairly quick for his size. 

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GUESS WHAT I AM DOING TODAY??????                 Going to see the Knicks @ Clippers in staples -- wooot wooot, been so long. then... heading for mali

oh my sweet jesus the swcer is in disbelief take that to the bank brohans

Guys, this thread sucks every year. 

1 minute ago, Thunderlips said:

I'm of the mindset that with the failing of the HC in this postseason along with the idea of "load management" in the regular season makes regular season games less important.  To that, Ben is a decent regular season guy; he's 25; he's built like a basketball player and MIGHT still have some upside.  Best case for the Sixers is if they can move him for a similar contract guy; who's over the hill who might give them better PLAYOFF basketball than Ben can give them.  I'm not going to say Kevin Love......but Kevin Lovesque.

I thought he just turned 24 on Sunday

1 hour ago, caustic said:

For anyone who subscribes to The Athletic, Hollinger's writeup on the top draft prospects is awesome: https://theathletic.com/2666193/2021/06/22/top-20-nba-draft-prospects-for-2021-cade-cunningham-ranks-no-1-but-not-by-much/

He's not as high on Cunningham as others (still his #1 prospect, but his comp is Khris Middleton), and he really likes Scottie Barnes.

Really don't know much at all about this class 

40 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

not to take anything away from your post, but Bill Simmons did this.... last year? maybe 2 years ago. 

spread out across several podcast episodes. 

that said, they basically talked a lot about the first couple picks, dismissed everyone else in the class and then did a re-draft with the conclusion that each draft is essentially 3-4 useful players and everyone else is trash.  a bit harsh, i thought, but still interesting.

NBA Draft is the biggest crap shoot. A lot of times the top guys don't end up developing as the top guys

21 minutes ago, modogg said:

it is what pretty much 90% of the NBA media does. it has become so strange, last 20 years have made basketball all an individual sport. You could see in the Hawks-6'ers series when all they talked about with the Hawks was Trae Young, and a little bit about Nate McMillan. 

Sad and strange, but NBA only has itself to blame with some of the rule changes they have made. I think i even asked it in here like 3-4 years ago, but is it a good thing or bad thing, i have no idea. 

Just crazy how teams are rarely looked at as a whole, and the concept seems to have just evaporated. 

It's bad if you aren't a fan of watch 1v1 and AND1 type ball. I love the Olympics because the rules cater to team play and why  I love watching EuroLeague. Guys like Harden/Westbrook couldn't play their nBA style in EuroLeague because the rules plus systems are team oriented so much. One guy starts playing hero ball and messes it all up for the team and ends up riding the pine

15 minutes ago, identikit said:

Could be a great comeback story ever if he fixes some things.

Most improved player, even.

I don't disagree there. I just don't think at this time currently he can with the 76ers 

15 minutes ago, Moe. said:

I am somewhat surprised at how many guys are wanting to play in Tokyo. Thought everybody would want the time off. Not going to be a very interesting tournament. 

Can't wait to see more superstars injured because of no time off..... :wall:

14 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

Cuz on 97.5 brought up a good point.......you're either going to go with a big package to get a good player...or you're moving Simmons for Kuzma.  His thought was Simmons "as is" is better than Kuzma; so he'd rather keep Simmons and hope he gets better.  

I wouldn't even listen to what Cuz or any of these blowhards say. Simmons will be traded but I think a lot of people are overestimating what the Sixers can get 

14 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

I'm of the mindset that with the failing of the HC in this postseason along with the idea of "load management" in the regular season makes regular season games less important.  To that, Ben is a decent regular season guy; he's 25; he's built like a basketball player and MIGHT still have some upside.  Best case for the Sixers is if they can move him for a similar contract guy; who's over the hill who might give them better PLAYOFF basketball than Ben can give them.  I'm not going to say Kevin Love......but Kevin Lovesque.

Ben and Hill FOR Sexton and Love.

8 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

I wouldn't even listen to what Cuz or any of these blowhards say. Simmons will be traded but I think a lot of people are overestimating what the Sixers can get 

I don't think Cuz is wrong.  Obviously if you're getting Lillard(they're not) or DeRozen(maybe a sign and trade) that's one thing.  But giving him up for a bag of balls and the rights to Yao Ming (in the off chance the Chinese perfect the artifical foot) would hurt the team more than keeping him.  

48 minutes ago, modogg said:

it is what pretty much 90% of the NBA media does. it has become so strange, last 20 years have made basketball all an individual sport. You could see in the Hawks-6'ers series when all they talked about with the Hawks was Trae Young, and a little bit about Nate McMillan. 

Sad and strange, but NBA only has itself to blame with some of the rule changes they have made. I think i even asked it in here like 3-4 years ago, but is it a good thing or bad thing, i have no idea. 

Just crazy how teams are rarely looked at as a whole, and the concept seems to have just evaporated. 

i'm old so hold no delusions about my opinion on how things are holding any weight at all... but, i did enjoy watching the games more when all 5 guys were at least competent in most if not all aspects of the game.

power forwards would regularly knock down mid-range jumpers. centers could post up and score. both could see the floor and pass. 

point guards might not be high scoring, but they orchestrated the game and led the team.

everyone is just hyper-specialized now and pure athleticism seems to be prized above all else. the Kevin Duckworth era is over. any maybe that's for the best... i dunno. it sure is different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Moe. said:

I am somewhat surprised at how many guys are wanting to play in Tokyo. Thought everybody would want the time off. Not going to be a very interesting tournament. 

Who is in? All I’ve seen is dropouts. 

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Who is in? All I’ve seen is dropouts. 

Lillard, Harden, Booker, Beal, Middleton, Tatum, Durant, Draymond, Love, and Bam. 2 more roster spots left.

from here

Milwaukee Bucks forward Khris Middleton and Cleveland Cavaliers forward Kevin Love have committed to joining Team USA's 12-man roster for the Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Excel Basketball agent Mike Lindeman told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Middleton will be making his first Olympic appearance after playing for Team USA in the Basketball World Cup in 2019, while Love will be in his second Olympics after winning gold at the 2012 London Games.

Their commitments would leave two spots remaining on the 12-man Olympic roster, as 10 players -- the others are Miami's Bam Adebayo, Brooklyn's James Harden and Kevin Durant, Golden State's Draymond Green, Washington's Bradley Beal, Boston's Jayson Tatum, Phoenix's Devin Booker and Portland's Damian Lillard -- already have pledged to play, according to ESPN and multiple reports.

41 minutes ago, caustic said:

Lillard, Harden, Booker, Beal, Middleton, Tatum, Durant, Draymond, Love, and Bam. 2 more roster spots left.

That is a good team wow. I thought Lillard and Durant were out. 

Ehh, i doubt this will do anything, but nice PR for the NBA after they showed NBA fans how silly the current rules are after the 6'ers-Hawks series:

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Sources: The NBA is expected to implement new rules to limit non-basketball moves that would result in an offensive foul or no-call beginning next season.

Not trying to be a cynic with the NBA, but i am going to guess we won't see much change at all. The NBA does more to prop up their "stars", and thus Trae won't all of a sudden stop getting all of those free throws. but hooray on them to make it look like they are going to do something

ETA: i'll miss some of these though: https://twitter.com/Chriftopher/status/1407372491979476992. Honestly is hilarious that the NBA waits to make this call after the series

Edited by modogg
22 minutes ago, modogg said:

3 teams in New York would  be a little much to handle, but man this would be pretty sweet if the NBA really does want to expand the league with a few teams:

https://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/NBA-Letter

Ben for Curly Neal, Meadowlark Lemon, and see if they'll throw in a pick?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3
3 hours ago, mr. furley said:

not to take anything away from your post, but Bill Simmons did this.... last year? maybe 2 years ago. 

spread out across several podcast episodes. 

that said, they basically talked a lot about the first couple picks, dismissed everyone else in the class and then did a re-draft with the conclusion that each draft is essentially 3-4 useful players and everyone else is trash.  a bit harsh, i thought, but still interesting.

Using "Players with 100+ Win Shares", there were 5 drafts that had 4 or more such players . . .

1984 (6 players) - Jordan 214, Stockton 208, Barkley 177, Olajuwan 163, Thorpe 106, Perkins 105
1999 (5 players) - Shawn Marion 125, Elton Brand 110, Manu Ginobili 106, Jason Terry 102, Andre Miller 101
2003 (4 players) - Lebron 242, Wade 120, Bosh 106, Carmelo 105
1987 (4 players) - David Robinson 189, Reggie Miller 174, Scottie Pippen 125, Horace Grant 118
1985 (4 players) - Karl Malone 235, Patrick Ewing 126, Terry Porter 110, Detlef Schrempf 110

Edited by Anarchy99
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Using "Players with 100+ Win Shares", there were 5 drafts that had 4 or more such players . . .

1984 (6 players) - Jordan 214, Stockton 208, Barkley 177, Olajuwan 163, Thorpe 106, Perkins 105
1999 (5 players) - Shawn Marion 125, Elton Brand 110, Manu Ginobili 106, Jason Terry 102, Andre Miller 101
1987 (4 players) - David Robinson 189, Reggie Miller 174, Scottie Pippen 125, Horace Grant 118
1985 (4 players) - Karl Malone 235, Patrick Ewing 126, Terry Porter 110, Detlef Schrempf 110

Is 1996 right after that?

39 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

1986 is pretty solid too (Rodman, Hornacek, Sabonis, Ron Harper, Price, McMillan, Salley, Curry, Skiles, Petrovic, Daughtery, Duckworth, Person).  84-87 were league re-defining drafts.

'86 doesn't have the Win Shares, but produced a lot of longtime players.

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins