What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (9 Viewers)

they aren't winning without him
That's not my point.  He's already been ruled out for tonight, I never suggested they play Embiid tonight like you said I did.

I think they have a chance to win tonight.  So you're suggesting the Sixers have zero chance to win tonight, even though they're favoured by 6.5 points?

My husband tore his meniscus years ago. His was a complete tear and he was out for 4 weeks after surgery, but he also isn't a professional athlete and said he didn't feel 100 percent for 8 months. 
:sadbanana:  funny note for you though, my 3 year old daughter saw this thread up and asked me when i was at the beach. i asked her what she was talking about, and she kept saying it was the picture in your profile. I just said  :bag: , but i am looking forward to getting to a beach in next few months

Ugh.  A month or two?  This would suck.

I'm hoping that NBA Doctors might be able to speed up the 1-2 month thing.  I'm assuming it is a very small tear, but I think "day to day" is a stretch maybe to keep fans from panicking, keep the Wiz from game planning, and keep ticket sales up.  Not like any of those three things are actually going to help, but doesn't hurt to at least say day to day.

My best case scenario is he's back for the Atlanta series if we pull out this series.  Worst case is he's done for the playoffs.

My realistic hope is that he comes back in game 5 of the Hawks series and hopefully we are at least 2-2 at that point.
Yeah the month or two thing is for normal people with normal doctors. No idea how this plays out with NBA doctors and a 300-pound 7 footer. It's a really high variance injury -- in 2011 I remember KU guard Tyshawn Taylor tore his meniscus in-season, had minor surgery to clean it up, and didn't miss a game. Others are out for months.

no, i don't think they should plan it that way either, just thinking of what they can do to help the big guy heal well and be available for the last playoffs
We don't rush him back this series.  If Wash wins the next 3 games, then they win the next 3 games and we are out.  Means that his knee was bad enough to not play this series, so he likely wouldn't have been that great next series either.

We need to win tonight.  Apparently we have "no chance", but every Vegas site still has us as at least 5 point faves.  I think we have a chance tonight.

We don't rush him back this series.  If Wash wins the next 3 games, then they win the next 3 games and we are out.  Means that his knee was bad enough to not play this series, so he likely wouldn't have been that great next series either.

We need to win tonight.  Apparently we have "no chance", but every Vegas site still has us as at least 5 point faves.  I think we have a chance tonight.
Only if you pick the Wizards to win.

Nobody is tanking Game 5 and hoping for a Game 7.

Do we think they start Simmons at C and move Hill into the starting lineup?  
i think that makes sense. my guess is we do see Simmons at the 5 more tonight, and probably less to protect the rim. Beal and Westbrook went overboard and crazy trying to draw fouls from Simmons last game and they got 1-2 from the giddy refs blowing the whistle.  Will be interesting, but i would rather risk Simmons getting near foul out territory, then see Mike Scott in the game for more than 2 minutes. 

I know this won't happen and likely many won't agree, but i don't see why they don't give B-Ball Paul 10 minutes or so tonight running at the 5

Only if you pick the Wizards to win.
True.  I should change my pick.

But nope, sticking with a close sixers win.  But would not be surprised if the Wiz win.  Just cautiously optimistic that Ben and Harris show up big at home tonight.

Yeah the month or two thing is for normal people with normal doctors. No idea how this plays out with NBA doctors and a 300-pound 7 footer. It's a really high variance injury -- in 2011 I remember KU guard Tyshawn Taylor tore his meniscus in-season, had minor surgery to clean it up, and didn't miss a game. Others are out for months.
Hmmm... I wonder why they haven't considered minor surgery for this.  If they win tonight, he could have a full week off before Atlanta series.  I'd even sit him game 1 and see how we do.  If we win, sit him again.

i think that makes sense. my guess is we do see Simmons at the 5 more tonight, and probably less to protect the rim. Beal and Westbrook went overboard and crazy trying to draw fouls from Simmons last game and they got 1-2 from the giddy refs blowing the whistle.  Will be interesting, but i would rather risk Simmons getting near foul out territory, then see Mike Scott in the game for more than 2 minutes. 

I know this won't happen and likely many won't agree, but i don't see why they don't give B-Ball Paul 10 minutes or so tonight running at the 5
I think Paul will get some minutes if Scott looks terrible out there.

I think Paul will get some minutes if when Scott looks terrible out there.
ftfy.

I'm not sure Doc wants to mess with 2nd line chemistry, but might be time to put Howard with the starters.  He needs to have a big game tonight.

Playing Ben at the 5 is not a bad idea too.  I think we'll see a bit of Ben, bit of Paul, and bit of Howard.  How Doc handles the line up tonight and throughout the game, is going to be the difference.

hey look, other teams are playing basketball still

Atlanta v NYK and Memphis v Utah tonight.  anyone ever heard of these teams before? seen them play? know anything about them?

ooh... something called Dal v LAC tonight, too. 

i only read NBA news in this thread and thought the Sixers just fielded the only team that barnstormed around the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
True.  I should change my pick.

But nope, sticking with a close sixers win.  But would not be surprised if the Wiz win.  Just cautiously optimistic that Ben and Harris show up big at home tonight.
letting my money ride on them to win tonight too. I do hope we see some more small ball with running Ben and Paul at the 5, and let the game slow at points with Dwight in. 

Bummer they had to trade Tony Bradley now seeing all of this. I don't think the Sixers lose this series at all, and if they do i would be for blowing up the roster a bit.

if they can't win 1 game out of 4 against the Wizards without Embiid, they are not that close to the championship run

Atlanta v NYK and Memphis v Utah tonight.  anyone ever heard of these teams before? seen them play? know anything about them?

ooh... something called Dal v LAC tonight, too. 

i only read NBA news in this thread and thought the Sixers just fielded the only team that barnstormed around the country.
Damn, this is a salty take.

Feel free to start some discussions on the other games if you like.  Embiid's injury is the biggest news of the day though.

You said they have zero chance to win tonight, so seems like a pretty good discussion to have.

both good games and should be fun. Hoping the Knicks get a win because seeing them lose this series 4-1 would be depressing. Would like them to at least make it competitive. 

and supporting my 2nd favorite/West team with the Grizz tonight. just a fun story right now, and would love them to see them keep pushing.

Early Eastern Conf games are gonna be great tonight.

Late Western Conf games are gonna be easy wins tonight.

Damn, this is a salty take.

Feel free to start some discussions on the other games if you like.  Embiid's injury is the biggest news of the day though.

You said they have zero chance to win tonight, so seems like a pretty good discussion to have.
or you could stop spamming the thread with awful Sixers takes 

As a Nets fan its such a strange playoffs - I always envied teams that could put together a super team and now that my favorite team has it, it almost feels wrong.....everyone hates them....they are expected to win it all or its a disaster....plus while I am excited to watch these 3 great players....it almost feels like Im being used.  

The Kidd run was so much better/fun as it was a real home grown team with the core all being draft picks and Kidd just came in as a borderline outcast and made it work - plus they were still the uncool Swamp Dragons in a dingy arena (where I was able to have season tickets for dirt cheap) and underdogs.  I just got so much more satisfaction out of it. 

I try to remind myself that they did build this from the bottom of NBA - they had no picks for yrs and Marks did a masterful job of using cap space and build a culture for this to happen....its not like these 3 picks the Nets for no reason.....it was well earned...

Still excited as Im a Jets/Reds fan as well so I havent seen a title run in a long time.....hopefully I get into the spirit of it as the playoffs go on! 
I remember a great Bucks - Nets playoff series from the mid 80's.  Moncrief, Johnson, Pressey, Lanier against Chocolate Thunder, Otis Birdsong, Michael Ray Richardson and Buck Williams.  What a dog fight.  Bucks won in 6, but the winner was always going to get trounced by Bird's Celtics, who went on to beat the Lakers in 7 that year.

I remember a great Bucks - Nets playoff series from the mid 80's.  Moncrief, Johnson, Pressey, Lanier against Chocolate Thunder, Otis Birdsong, Michael Ray Richardson and Buck Williams.  What a dog fight.  Bucks won in 6, but the winner was always going to get trounced by Bird's Celtics, who went on to beat the Lakers in 7 that year.
certainly should be a fun series. would love if Embiid can get healthy and then we get another really fun series with the winner against a 85% healthy Sixers. 

Old school - loved that team....then the DC/Kenny Anderson yrs....I got season tix when they drafted Van Horn....they were almost giving away season tix.  I had 15 rows back behind the basket for half season for $25 per seat - $50 per seat for the entire playoffs and $75 per seat for NBA finals....Kidd was amazing - best overall player I watched on a day in day out basis.  Just elevated everyone....good times.  

Def see Bucks being a real tough series....should be fun. 

@Instinctive I haven't seen much Mavs ball this season. Just based on this Clippers series, seems like there's a decent amount of work to do on that roster to give Doncic more support. I've been pretty astounded at how crummy Porzingis has looked. Is this just an anomalous 4 games for him?

those were great NBA seasons. every team was deep and playoff games felt meaningful and personal.

a friend of mine had a life sized Moncrief cut out in his room that i thought was the absolute apex of cool.

Wiz are starting guys like Len and Neto that might not even make the 76ers team.  I love my Bullets but they don't have the horses that Philly does.  Doc will have a strategy to win w/o Embiid.  Doc could outcoach Brooks with his left toe.

Wiz should have spent 3 hours practicing how to hack Howard and Simmons.  And they may have an advantage w Lopez on the block.  interesting to see if they go there early

Wiz are starting guys like Len and Neto that might not even make the 76ers team.  I love my Bullets but they don't have the horses that Philly does.  Doc will have a strategy to win w/o Embiid.  Doc could outcoach Brooks with his left toe.

Wiz should have spent 3 hours practicing how to hack Howard and Simmons.  And they may have an advantage w Lopez on the block.  interesting to see if they go there early
Lopez could definitely give us issues.  Another reason I think they may play Ben at the 5 and see if they can get Lopez into early foul trouble.  I think it's going to be a good close game tonight.

those were great NBA seasons. every team was deep and playoff games felt meaningful and personal.

a friend of mine had a life sized Moncrief cut out in his room that i thought was the absolute apex of cool.
IMDB has a series with tons of old NBA playoff games from the 70's and 80's.  I got deep into it during the dark COVID months and must have watched 30 or more Bucks games.  The '84 team I posted about - not joking - Don Nelson would frequently have Alton Lister, Randy Breuer and Paul Mokeski on the court at the same time - all over 7ft and none of them could play.  They had a three point line on the Court, but it was common to see games with zero 3pt attempts.  The Bucks battles against those Celtics and Sixers teams were awesome.

I remembered Dawkins mostly as a 76er, but he was nearly unstoppable for the Nets in that '84 series.

That is 2 hours and 55 minutes more than Simmons practices shooting. 

IMDB has a series with tons of old NBA playoff games from the 70's and 80's.  I got deep into it during the dark COVID months and must have watched 30 or more Bucks games.  The '84 team I posted about - not joking - Don Nelson would frequently have Alton Lister, Randy Breuer and Paul Mokeski on the court at the same time - all over 7ft and none of them could play.  They had a three point line on the Court, but it was common to see games with zero 3pt attempts.  The Bucks battles against those Celtics and Sixers teams were awesome.

I remembered Dawkins mostly as a 76er, but he was nearly unstoppable for the Nets in that '84 series.
That is a trilogy of terrible.

Whew....

Hmmm.... I would think a meniscus tear would be more significant than day to day?

Sounds like it's a small one though.  I'd bet he's out for this series though.

Anyone have any more knowledge on this kind of injury and just what it means?
interesting take from a guy who discusses NBA injuries a bit:

Edwin Porras, DPT @FBInjuryDoc

·1h CC:  @ThePhillyPod

A “small” meniscus tear doesn’t tell us as much as what his symptoms do. Assuming it wasn’t there before, the knee is likely swollen, painful to stand/walk Worst case this needs scoped in 2-3 weeks Best case this is precautionary & he’ll be back w/ in a week

i'm a bigger NFL fan than NBA and i always cringe when seeing a guy get hurt, then the next week he's back out there & fans are ranting that he sucks because he doesn't go for 120 and 2td's on a sprained knee, broken ribs and a concussion.

or some calamitous injury happens that would waylay average person for months and 2 weeks later the coaches list the guy as "probable" and send him out there 3 months too soon only to watch the guy struggle, limp around, tag in and out and post-game sports media is alive with "he quit! he sucks! he's washed! #### him!".

The Nuggets aren't trading Murray, even for an improvement in talent - he is too central to their culture. I also don't think Lillard is necessarily an improvement over MPJ AND Murray (if healthy). Porter might be the best shooter in the league behind Curry, Thompson, and Lillard and he's only in his 2nd season and Murray is a pretty good facsimile of Lillard. 
I was really hoping Gordon was going to help this team, but watching him clank not one but both free throws off the front of the rim really was disappointing. 

The Nuggets aren't trading Murray, even for an improvement in talent - he is too central to their culture. I also don't think Lillard is necessarily an improvement over MPJ AND Murray (if healthy). Porter might be the best shooter in the league behind Curry, Thompson, and Lillard and he's only in his 2nd season and Murray is a pretty good facsimile of Lillard. 
i would be in favor of that trade (Dame's totally worth it) but i doubt it will happen for the same reason i'm liking the NBA less & less every year - everybody, including GMs, cares more about their brand than wins. i dont think you'll see significant player-for-player trades except to match up salaries because of the capital of comparison. bosses can always say "i got the picks, they just didnt work out" but, if they trade a Nurkic they could end up the butt of Jokics.

i would be in favor of that trade (Dame's totally worth it) but i doubt it will happen for the same reason i'm liking the NBA less & less every year - everybody, including GMs, cares more about their brand than wins. i dont think you'll see significant player-for-player trades except to match up salaries because of the capital of comparison. bosses can always say "i got the picks, they just didnt work out" but, if they trade a Nurkic they could end up the butt of Jokics.
I was just thinking this morning if Portland exits in the first round, Dame has to want to go to a place where he has a chance at a ring. Where is that place?? LA Lakers. LA parts ways with multiple pieces and brings him in on a reworked deal. 

And just as I thought this--here is an article about it  DAME to LA

I was just thinking this morning if Portland exits in the first round, Dame has to want to go to a place where he has a chance at a ring. Where is that place?? LA Lakers. LA parts ways with multiple pieces and brings him in on a reworked deal. 

I don't think Portland wants half of the Lakers team.

I think they keep him.

I don't think Portland wants half of the Lakers team.

I think they keep him.
I think if LA goes out early this year, Bron is going to want one last shot at a ring. His body is breaking down (which is expected after all the games he has played) and he has to know there is only one more shot at glory before going off and making terrible movies. Looking at his track record, he is going to want a third star to make this happen, which means Dame, Beal or ?? 

I think if LA goes out early this year, Bron is going to want one last shot at a ring. His body is breaking down (which is expected after all the games he has played) and he has to know there is only one more shot at glory before going off and making terrible movies. Looking at his track record, he is going to want a third star to make this happen, which means Dame, Beal or ?? 
Lol I'm sure every team will want Dame or Beal.  So if Lebron wants Dame then you think the Blazers just say "oh you want him?  Sure you can have him"

wishthink trading. theyre using salary-dump scenarios for an actual asset. Dame hasnt begun his 4-yr extension yet. unless he asks out, he aint going anywhere except for extreme value and, if he asks, he aint going where he wants to go. iirc, extensions cant be no-trade

Embiid warming up pre game and doesn't look too bad.  Makes me slightly more confident that this isn't a month long injury.

When Simmons shoots his first free throw tonight, the reaction will be interesting.

lol no chance Portland trades a top 10 player in the league for scrubs

lol no chance Portland trades a top 10 player in the league for scrubs
Yep, if you actually look at all of this dudes articles , they're almost all pro-Lakers or pro-Lebron.   His articles are quite bad, and no clue how he thinks it "makes sense for both teams" for Portland to get a bunch of scrubs for Dame.  He also predicted Embiid and Harris to GS this offseason :P

Users who are viewing this thread