What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (14 Viewers)

AAABatteries said:
I say this as someone who watches limited NBA so maybe this is a hot take or on point but man, Randle was not good in that series against the Hawks.  He looked unsure of himself, was easily frustrated and started being chippy the last 2 games.  Maybe he's angry at the rest of his team, no clue but what is the story here?  Wasn't he a stud during the regular season?
DeAndre Hunter

So, had a very busy day yesterday and missed out on all the great takes and thoughtful dialogue.

Just going to drop some of my NBA thoughts here:

• BOSTON - I'm going to miss Brad as coach of the C's.  He is THE reason I became a Celtics fan.  I think I'll stick with them as I've been invested for the last 4 years or so (and now have a couple of shirts and a hat to show for it), but I honestly thought we were witnessing the next Popovich.  I will confess, he seemed less engaged and therefore less effective this season to the point that I was starting to have doubts he would be with Boston for life (which I previously wholeheartedly believed).  Not sure where they go at coach, but Stevens is smart.  I trust his intelligence and ability to read people.  He knows that team and what they need.  Tatum and Brown will stay (and probably Time Lord).  The rest is up for grabs.
  • PHILLY - Embiid gimpy is why I wanted the 4/5 seed for Boston so bad.  It was always a not-so-slim possibility with his history and with him out (or less effective), they are a very beatable team.  Better than the BB years, but still not enough talent to overcome the loss of the most unstoppable player in the league.
  • BUCKS - This is the year or its time to blow it up.  They are good enough to beat the Nets, but they just have to play like it.  A lineup of Giannis, Lopez, Tucker, Holiday & Middleton is amazing defensively and decent offensively and will give the smaller Nets fits.  They will miss Divincenzo's athleticism on the wing and I really hope it isn't such a big loss that they lose to Brooklyn, because I'm really rooting for them to win the East.
  • UTAH - This is the team to beat in the West.  They have everyone that matters healthy and have been doing it all year.  Fewest question marks equals highest probability of success.  I like this team a lot and would love to see them make the Finals.
  • LAL - so glad to see them fall.  Not glad for AD's injury, but happy I don't have to watch this team anymore after this round.
  • DALLAS - This team is way better than I realized and it is mostly due to the play of Hardaway, Jr. and Brunson.  Those guys are super effective in their roles and make Doncic's offensive load more manageable.  I don't see them coming out of the West, but man are they fun to watch right now.
  • PORTLAND - Lillard won't leave, nor should he.  McCollum reminds me of Derozan, a really good but not great player and is a guy they need to move.  Get Lillard a better (and bigger) running mate and you might have enough to be a contender.  Run it back and it will be more of the same and a waste of a supremely talented player's prime.
Looking forward to the rest of the playoffs!

My predictions:

• LAC over DAL in 7, DEN over POR in 7, PHX over LAL in 6.
  • PHI over ATL in 6, MIL over BKN in 7, PHX over DEN in 7, UTA over LAC in 6
  • MIL over PHI in 5, UTA over PHX in 6
  • MIL over UTA in 6

Dr. Octopus said:
Randle struggled big time in this series. He was very good during the regular season but that had a lot to do with him being the best player on a team devoid of serious talent - so the offense flowed through him. He's solid pro - but not a star.

The Knicks over-achieved this season by playing hard and outworking other teams on defense. It was a fun team to watch but like I said a few pages ago - winning this series would have been the ceiling for this team as currently construed. Julius Randle has to be, at best, the second best player on a contending team, but honestly probably a great No. 3.

Derrick Rose was the glue for this team, but just can't be a major contributor at this point - and I'm not sure anyone can expect a repeat performance from him in 2021/2022 season. A star PG would be the best thing to happen to the Knicks - maybe a pursuit of Dame Lillard would be the way to go if Portland is indeed looking to move on.

My biggest take away was jhow much more confident Obi Toppin looked in the playoffs. He was a very one dimensional player during the regular season but looked so much better this series. If he builds on that and 21 year old RJ Barrett takes another step, this team should be back in the playoffs next season - but will need to add a star in order to go further.
wikkid had a poetically concise take on the knicks. somn like, if you hustle when others don't you win. if you hustle when others do, not so much. i just butcheredd wikked, haha.

the knicks were in playoff mode all year. other teams weren't. 

AAABatteries said:
I say this as someone who watches limited NBA so maybe this is a hot take or on point but man, Randle was not good in that series against the Hawks.  He looked unsure of himself, was easily frustrated and started being chippy the last 2 games.  Maybe he's angry at the rest of his team, no clue but what is the story here?  Wasn't he a stud during the regular season?
His undeserved MIP award went to his head.

i am a 19 time nba champion and played in europe for 43 years take that to the bank bromigos 
I found 3 of my NAIA college games from 1999 on youtube the other day.  We lost all 3, but they were some of my better college games.  I didn't think there was any video evidence of my sports career still around and it was cool to watch some of it with my 14 year old son.

I found 3 of my NAIA college games from 1999 on youtube the other day.  We lost all 3, but they were some of my better college games.  I didn't think there was any video evidence of my sports career still around and it was cool to watch some of it with my 14 year old son.
that is pretty cool and i salute you for watching them with your kid that is pretty awesome and i might have been lying but i am probably the all time scoring leader of my driveway take that to the bank brohans 

Fun Fact Regular season Stat padder most overrated NBA player  Russell Westbrook is now 0-4 in first round playoffs since KD left him. he Is now 8 for 24 in first round games. I've been saying for yrs Russ' Regular season numbers don't mean a dam if he doesn't produce in the playoffs. This is why I've always said you can't build a championship team around Russ. Russ is also one of the biggest Reasons OKC choked that 3-1 Series in 16 vs OKC.  It's an easy playoff bye for any team who faces this guy in the playoffs without KD around. These were some eye opening stats when I went searching for Westbrook's playoff record and came across 3-4 articles talking about his struggles in Postseason without KD. Was surprised he hasn't gotten past a 1st round without KD. 

For as good as he is Russel Westbrook isn't a player you can win Titles with

Fun Fact Regular season Stat padder most overrated NBA player  Russell Westbrook is now 0-4 in first round playoffs since KD left him. he Is now 8 for 24 in first round games. I've been saying for yrs Russ' Regular season numbers don't mean a dam if he doesn't produce in the playoffs. This is why I've always said you can't build a championship team around Russ. Russ is also one of the biggest Reasons OKC choked that 3-1 Series in 16 vs OKC.  It's an easy playoff bye for any team who faces this guy in the playoffs without KD around. These were some eye opening stats when I went searching for Westbrook's playoff record and came across 3-4 articles talking about his struggles in Postseason without KD. Was surprised he hasn't gotten past a 1st round without KD. 

For as good as he is Russel Westbrook isn't a player you can win Titles with
Oh hell yeah, welcome back GB!!

So, had a very busy day yesterday and missed out on all the great takes and thoughtful dialogue.

• BOSTON - I'm going to miss Brad as coach of the C's.  He is THE reason I became a Celtics fan.  I think I'll stick with them as I've been invested for the last 4 years or so (and now have a couple of shirts and a hat to show for it), but I honestly thought we were witnessing the next Popovich.  I will confess, he seemed less engaged and therefore less effective this season to the point that I was starting to have doubts he would be with Boston for life (which I previously wholeheartedly believed).  Not sure where they go at coach, but Stevens is smart.  I trust his intelligence and ability to read people.  He knows that team and what they need. 
Stevens seems like a great fit as GM. might take a bit to learn the role, but he's smart, calculated.. seems like a basketball savant.

i think he'll do well and GM seems like a long-term job vs. the mania of coaching and that stress.

• BUCKS - This is the year or its time to blow it up.  They are good enough to beat the Nets, but they just have to play like it.  A lineup of Giannis, Lopez, Tucker, Holiday & Middleton is amazing defensively and decent offensively and will give the smaller Nets fits.  They will miss Divincenzo's athleticism on the wing and I really hope it isn't such a big loss that they lose to Brooklyn, because I'm really rooting for them to win the East.
my Bucks hot take.... they won't win anything substantial with Giannis being the lead in big games. 

he can't shoot. he doesn't post up. he can't shoot free throws consistently. 

he can flush on anyone in the NBA off the break and he can dribble drive vs one defender and at least get his shot off.. which leads to big scoring in the regular season when most teams only play hard periodically, but if teams can frustrate his clear path to the basket he can't consistently do anything else.

now that teams can focus on taking away what he does well (drive to the basket every time he touches the ball), and truly work to prevent it, i don't think he has enough tools in his bag to overcome. 

that said, Holiday is a huge upgrade and changes the complexion of the team substantially. Middleton is probably your crunch time guy if you need a bucket late and i think he's underappreciated... but i just don't see how they get past the Nets.

if i was stevens and i had already made a billion dollars and i wanted to leave a legacy of good for the planet i would take the duke job and then commit so many atrocities that it got the death penalty and never fielded any ncaa sports team again and got sued so bad that the school itself folded up and fell into a hole in the ground that right there would be a legacy that everyone would be proud of take that to the bank brohans 

Last edited by a moderator:
wikkid had a poetically concise take on the knicks. somn like, if you hustle when others don't you win. if you hustle when others do, not so much. i just butcheredd wikked, haha.

the knicks were in playoff mode all year. other teams weren't. 
no, you nailed it. anyway, i'm 6'4 350 - i could use some butchering.

ya, they just dont have the options for the bigtime. i wanted Randle back when the Celts drafted Maaaacus Smaaaat, so i been a fan a long time but, even then, his evolution has been admirable. but i dont see a 2nd level from Barrett yet - no cleaner than he was in school, Rose surprised me, but he does suck the air out of every activated play like Tatum or Doncic, to half the result. even stipulating Thibs and his doghousing, I have no idea why Burks never started - especially when any team that has Dinglehairy on the floor for 25 minutes should be in the g-league - when they clearly needed all their offensive options on the floor at once to keep up.

oh well, they still played good D this series, teams might still give up sumn for Robinson and they must have a ton of cap space. the world is just a better place when there's a good team in MSG so. even w Dolan, i hope they keep on keepin on

ETA: AAAAND they gotta draft better. Kevin Knox, Obi Toppin, yeesh

Thanks but I'm in and out of this thread. Just can't upset certain posters about their teams sometimes if you know what I mean. Plus I'm working a lot of hours so do not have a ton of time to watch many of these games. 

Also watched a few last night and either I do not know what a foul in the NBA is anymore or the league calls some very tick tacky stuff. 

my Bucks hot take.... they won't win anything substantial with Giannis being the lead in big games. 

he can flush on anyone in the NBA off the break and he can dribble drive vs one defender and at least get his shot off.. which leads to big scoring in the regular season when most teams only play hard periodically, but if teams can frustrate his clear path to the basket he can't consistently do anything else.

now that teams can focus on taking away what he does well (drive to the basket every time he touches the ball), and truly work to prevent it, i don't think he has enough tools in his bag to overcome. 

that said, Holiday is a huge upgrade and changes the complexion of the team substantially. Middleton is probably your crunch time guy if you need a bucket late and i think he's underappreciated... but i just don't see how they get past the Nets.
When you need a bucket late, I agree, Giannis is not the guy and the Bucks know that.  But I disagree on the overall take.  Middleton and Holiday are good enough to get it done then if need be.  They aren't up to the caliber of the Nets big 3, but nobody is.

For the Bucks to beat the Nets, it will come down to defense and building leads via open 3's and Giannis getting like 25/12 every game.  I think they will win at least 3 of the games going away due to either hot shooting or great defense or both.  The Nets don't guard well and the Bucks do.  I don't expect a bunch of exciting close games and I see the Bucks beating them in 6 or 7.

Thanks but I'm in and out of this thread. Just can't upset certain posters about their teams sometimes if you know what I mean. Plus I'm working a lot of hours so do not have a ton of time to watch many of these games. 

Also watched a few last night and either I do not know what a foul in the NBA is anymore or the league calls some very tick tacky stuff. 
thats bs man you post what you want to post whenever you want to post it we got your back take that to the bank bromigo 

if the Bucks hadnt botched their Bogdo, they'd be my fave right now. and you can take that to the banks of the Milwaukee River
the milwaukee river has been cleaned up a lot in recent years but it still acts as a giant sewer when the deep tunnel system gets overwhelmed so basically you dont really want to take anything there in town now if you get upstream and out of town to the north it turns into a pretty nice little smallmouth bass fishery and then ultimately way up in its headwaters there are trout so that is where you want to take things my friend take that to the bank brochachos 

Also not much into the Playoffs or any basketball unless chicago is playing. I'm glad to see the Knicks Success as I've always respected them and NYK being good is good for the NBA and MSG packed is a great feeling sight you can't deny. Hoping one of these days I can get a group together who'd go see a Bulls/Knicks game with me there. 

I'm either hoping Giannis finally gets his title or Doncic and the Mavs win. 

I tried watching the 76er/Wizards game for a bit but just seeing Russ play hero ball was frustrating. Plus I got to watch the 76ers feed. I'm cool with Marc Zumoff and he's a cool guy I met awhile back. He does fill in duty for the Union when JP is on Fox Sports duty calling matches and Marc is a big Soccer fan. However whoever the color guy is for Philly every time I turn the game all he's constantly complaining and whining about stuff. He reminds me of watching the Penguins commentary who complains constantly. 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
if the Bucks hadnt botched their Bogdo, they'd be my fave right now. and you can take that to the banks of the Milwaukee River
Is this about letting Malcom Brogdon go or botching an attempt to get Bogdon Bogdonavic this offseason?  Either way, they would have been a better team with either one of those guys.

• BOSTON - I'm going to miss Brad as coach of the C's.  He is THE reason I became a Celtics fan.  I think I'll stick with them as I've been invested for the last 4 years or so (and now have a couple of shirts and a hat to show for it), but I honestly thought we were witnessing the next Popovich.  I will confess, he seemed less engaged and therefore less effective this season to the point that I was starting to have doubts he would be with Boston for life (which I previously wholeheartedly believed).  Not sure where they go at coach, but Stevens is smart.  I trust his intelligence and ability to read people.  He knows that team and what they need.  Tatum and Brown will stay (and probably Time Lord).  The rest is up for grabs.
  •  
if he had a Duncan, he would have been. but he got a Kyrie and *poof* the youth/vet mix they had was gone. these kids are all branding now, listening to nobody cuz of how they saw their locker room fall apart, and Stevens wasnt gonna get that back. i spent my first post-news hours, wishing they could find a KCJones, a leader of men, for the job and then Jackie McMullen, Simmons, Rusillo were all lobbying for Chauncey Billups on a pod and i instantly went "Kismet" cuz that's what he is - a leader of men, with decent hoops acumen as well. hope they're right.

When you need a bucket late, I agree, Giannis is not the guy and the Bucks know that.  But I disagree on the overall take.  Middleton and Holiday are good enough to get it done then if need be.  They aren't up to the caliber of the Nets big 3, but nobody is.

For the Bucks to beat the Nets, it will come down to defense and building leads via open 3's and Giannis getting like 25/12 every game.  I think they will win at least 3 of the games going away due to either hot shooting or great defense or both.  The Nets don't guard well and the Bucks do.  I don't expect a bunch of exciting close games and I see the Bucks beating them in 6 or 7.
hope you're right

i tend to lean pessimistic with my sports teams expectations. makes it easier to be letdown :(

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Is this about letting Malcom Brogdon go or botching an attempt to get Bogdon Bogdonavic this offseason?  Either way, they would have been a better team with either one of those guys.
yeah, not doing the sign part of sign&trade on Bogdonavic was the botch to which i was referring. two active shooting wings, a PG & C who know how to get out da way, and a redhead off the bench woulda been suhweet.

if he had a Duncan, he would have been. but he got a Kyrie and *poof* the youth/vet mix they had was gone. these kids are all branding now, listening to nobody cuz of how they saw their locker room fall apart, and Stevens wasnt gonna get that back. i spent my first post-news hours, wishing they could find a KCJones, a leader of men, for the job and then Jackie McMullen, Simmons, Rusillo were all lobbying for Chauncey Billups on a pod and i instantly went "Kismet" cuz that's what he is - a leader of men, with decent hoops acumen as well. hope they're right.

I'd lost track of what Billups was up to.

He is a definite leader, agreed.

Plus I got to watch the 76ers feed. I'm cool with Marc Zumoff and he's a cool guy I met awhile back. He does fill in duty for the Union when JP is on Fox Sports duty calling matches and Marc is a big Soccer fan. However whoever the color guy is for Philly every time I turn the game all he's constantly complaining and whining about stuff. He reminds me of watching the Penguins commentary who complains constantly. 
Alaa Abdelnaby.  Couldn't stand him when he played for Duke.  Love him as a homer Sixers announcer.

Alaa Abdelnaby.  Couldn't stand him when he played for Duke.  Love him as a homer Sixers announcer.
as soon as i could pronounce the name, i thought it would be a tremendous exclamation - "AbdelNAby, those are great flapjacks!!", so i kept waiting for him to do sumn w the Celts so i could say that like a SportsCenter guy, but he never did...

Plus I got to watch the 76ers feed. I'm cool with Marc Zumoff and he's a cool guy I met awhile back. He does fill in duty for the Union when JP is on Fox Sports duty calling matches and Marc is a big Soccer fan. However whoever the color guy is for Philly every time I turn the game all he's constantly complaining and whining about stuff. He reminds me of watching the Penguins commentary who complains constantly. 
well color me shocked that the announcer for the sixers went to duke take that to the bank brohan 

I'd lost track of what Billups was up to.

He is a definite leader, agreed.
he was all talked-up for a front office job off his media work but, as the podsters pointed out, he had no post-player experience. in a measure of who he is, he took mention of that to heart and, instead of grabbing anything offered or staying behind the studio desk, he upped for a season as an asst w the Clips

I wholeheartedly concur.

he was all talked-up for a front office job off his media work but, as the podsters pointed out, he had no post-player experience. in a measure of who he is, he took mention of that to heart and, instead of grabbing anything offered or staying behind the studio desk, he upped for a season as an asst w the Clips
Smart

Not Smaaaaaaaaaawt

said, Holiday is a huge upgrade and changes the complexion of the team substantially. Middleton is probably your crunch time guy if you need a bucket late and i think he's underappreciated... but i just don't see how they get past the Nets.
I think Milwaukee could absolutely win this series -- because forget about stopping Giannis, Brooklyn doesn't have anyone who can even slow him down right now. Jeff Green could at least kinda-sorta stick with him on defense and hit some 3s on offense, keeping the floor open for the big 3. He's out with a foot injury now, so who do the Nets turn to? Durant is too thin and needs to conserve some energy for offense. Claxton is thin, inexperienced, and can be a foul magnet. The other option is -- gulp -- Deandre Jordan. I think they'll just have to double team him relentlessly which is going to open a lot of shots for Middleton, Holiday, etc.

Should be a really great series and anything from Bucks in 6 to Nets in 6 would not surprise me.

Yeah could't remember the name but Jesus. I love stacey King and his bias for the Bulls but he doesn't complain like Alaa does and he actually does get on the players when they perform poorly while putting some comedy into things. It's more so every time I turn on a 76ers game Alaa is crying about something on a consistent bases. I feel bad for Zumoff sometimes

Tough games tonight. Cheering so hard for Portland and Phoenix. 

Portland by 3 (5OT)

Lakers by 1 (2OT)

I think Milwaukee could absolutely win this series -- because forget about stopping Giannis, Brooklyn doesn't have anyone who can even slow him down right now. Jeff Green could at least kinda-sorta stick with him on defense and hit some 3s on offense, keeping the floor open for the big 3. He's out with a foot injury now, so who do the Nets turn to? Durant is too thin and needs to conserve some energy for offense. Claxton is thin, inexperienced, and can be a foul magnet. The other option is -- gulp -- Deandre Jordan. I think they'll just have to double team him relentlessly which is going to open a lot of shots for Middleton, Holiday, etc.

Should be a really great series and anything from Bucks in 6 to Nets in 6 would not surprise me.
best basketball column of the year was one, i cant remember where, early this year that pointed out that the championship path for the Nets still ran thru Freaks & Brows & Claws & such that, as presently constituted, only KD could guard and wondered, in an age where your rep is based on what you dont hafta do no mo, if the aged&injured great was gonna put up w having to be the Nets D-##### when the other 2 stars didnt have to. sumn to that -

these kids are all branding now, listening to nobody cuz of how they saw their locker room fall apart, and Stevens wasnt gonna get that back. i spent my first post-news hours, wishing they could find a KCJones, a leader of men, for the job and then Jackie McMullen, Simmons, Rusillo were all lobbying for Chauncey Billups on a pod and i instantly went "Kismet" cuz that's what he is - a leader of men, with decent hoops acumen as well. hope they're right.
Maybe Boston can interview Tim Duncan first, get all hot and heavy to hire him as head coach, then settle on Chauncey Billups.  A tweet by Rick Pitino would be a nice touch as well.

Hey, I could have added the Celtics would then get off to a slow start next season and fire Billups.  Only to then watch him become a great head coach somewhere else.
as long as he doesnt then go to Detroit and turn a buncha guys with Afros & headbands into superstars....

Users who are viewing this thread