What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (6 Viewers)

Yes I know. Against the Knicks. They had to shoot out of their minds and get a huge lead just to barely hang on against the sixers. I think it'll be a different story starting tomorrow.
little bit of funny business with the lines. Sixers were -2 for their game on Sunday, and it shot to -4 before the game when they said Embiid was playing. Hawks wrecked the Sixers in the first half and had a 20+ point lead for at least 3 quarters of the game. 

Line opened up for the game tomorrow night and the Sixers were -5.5 already with the line moving toward -6. Glad the gamblers and odds makers don't think think the Sixers 1st game was a sign of how the series was going to go, hope they are right 

I'm not too worried about the Hawks. They shot out of their minds from 3. Against the Knicks, they made 12, 12, 16, 9 and 9 three pointers per game. Yesterday they made 20. That's not going to happen again. 

Sixers were sloppy and lackadaisical. They still almost came back after being down 24. I think they take the next 4. Maybe lose game 5 in a close one and finish it in 6 but I think the Hawks fired their best shot yesterday.
Hawks are a deep team that have been on a really strong run since the coaching change. They have more than one way to win. Agree with your point that Sixers were their own worst enemy in Game 1 though.

Not sure who I am pulling for in that one. My brother in law is going to be a PITA if the Hawks take it.

Hey believe what you want dude but this reminds me exactly of when DROSE got hurt. Also because of his size and other issues already wouldn't be shocked if Joel only has 2-3 more yrs on those knees before it really goes down hill. He's a great player, incredible immature at times and should focus more on more al around team basketball and not his favorite wrestling celebrations but the dude is made out of glass and is gonna IMHO have a very short prime. 

Austin Rivers is single handedly trying to ruin this game.

One of these things is not like the others...one of these things just doesn't belong.

Everytime he tries to go one on one something ugly happens.

Yes I know. Against the Knicks. They had to shoot out of their minds and get a huge lead just to barely hang on against the sixers. I think it'll be a different story starting tomorrow.
Ya Sixers favoured by 5 tomorrow.  I almost wish we got blown out and Doc laid into them and they came back embarrassed.  If Hawks win tomorrow, the series is over sadly.

Sixers by 9
Jazz by 4

Hey believe what you want dude but this reminds me exactly of when DROSE got hurt. Also because of his size and other issues already wouldn't be shocked if Joel only has 2-3 more yrs on those knees before it really goes down hill. He's a great player, incredible immature at times and should focus more on more al around team basketball and not his favorite wrestling celebrations but the dude is made out of glass and is gonna IMHO have a very short prime. 
yes you've made it clear in 50 posts about you feel about Joel's knees and attitude.

First sporting event attended in a year and a half. If Suns starting 5 looks this good, Nuggets have no shot. Porter's got to play like a superstar every night as well

It's pretty impressive they got past Blazers down 40% of their starting lineup and a backcourt of Rivers/Campazzo

I'm not too worried about the Hawks. They shot out of their minds from 3. Against the Knicks, they made 12, 12, 16, 9 and 9 three pointers per game. Yesterday they made 20. That's not going to happen again. 
They shot 37% during the regular season - they shot 42% in Game 1.  That’s shooting out of their minds?  Hawks might lose the next four but for a team that shoots 37%, 42% in one game isn’t an outlier.

They shot 37% during the regular season - they shot 42% in Game 1.  That’s shooting out of their minds?  Hawks might lose the next four but for a team that shoots 37%, 42% in one game isn’t an outlier.
They attempted 47 3's. They average 33 attempts on the season. They didn't really miss in that first half so they kept chucking in the 2nd half. 20/47 is definitely an outlier.

Nets are really, really good.

Signed,

A Bucks season ticket holder
and will likely be like this for the next 2-3 years. Only in the NBA can franchises spend 4-5 years building to a championship, and another franchise can do it in 1 season. 

Pretty crazy hearing reports that the Bucks GM job might be on the line too, what else could he possibly have done (maybe the Bogdonavich thing, but that would seemingly be it). Jrue may have been a bit of an overpay, but he was needed for that team and a great fit. i really don't know what replacing the GM could possibly do to the Bucks beside make them not as good

and will likely be like this for the next 2-3 years. Only in the NBA can franchises spend 4-5 years building to a championship, and another franchise can do it in 1 season. 

Pretty crazy hearing reports that the Bucks GM job might be on the line too, what else could he possibly have done (maybe the Bogdonavich thing, but that would seemingly be it). Jrue may have been a bit of an overpay, but he was needed for that team and a great fit. i really don't know what replacing the GM could possibly do to the Bucks beside make them not as good
Yeah, at some point you have to just blame the players for not performing.  Coach/GM can't make shots or play defense for them.  Or box out.  So infuriating to see Giannis or Pat just standing there waiting for the ball to come off the rim, only for Blake Griffin or Mike Scott to come flying in and grab the offensive board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only in the NBA can franchises spend 4-5 years building to a championship, and another franchise can do it in 1 season. 
So you're ok with a team losing on purpose for 3-4 seasons in a row (to build a team) but you're not ok with a team adding free agents? - despite begging for Lebron to join the Sixers at the time.

I think this Nets team is unlikable because of the personalities of Durant and Irving (and Harden to a lesser extent) but aren't teams supposed to try and win? And honestly without Harden is this really a "super team"? Durant is a top 5 player but where would Irving Rank - borderline top 20? After those 2, the Nets roster is also filled with castoffs and role players that are really stepping up in this series. I'm pulling for the Bucks but what the Nets are doing without Harden is pretty impressive.

really kind of says something about the current NBA that you can get a team with the top 3 guys playing a total of 8 games in the regular season together can come in and destroy everything in their past. Regular season is becoming pretty meaningless at this point, and makes you think if there is a point to trying and build a team or just know that most top players may tank their way to 4-5 teams, and win it anyway without playing a ton together
The regular season has always been meaningless since they went to 16 teams. That isn’t a new development. 

So you're ok with a team losing on purpose for 3-4 seasons in a row (to build a team) but you're not ok with a team adding free agents? - despite begging for Lebron to join the Sixers at the time.

I think this Nets team is unlikable because of the personalities of Durant and Irving (and Harden to a lesser extent) but aren't teams supposed to try and win? And honestly without Harden is this really a "super team"? Durant is a top 5 player but where would Irving Rank - borderline top 20? After those 2, the Nets roster is also filled with castoffs and role players that are really stepping up in this series. I'm pulling for the Bucks but what the Nets are doing without Harden is pretty impressive.
Seriously? I have said numerous times that the Nets front office, particularly Scott Marks, deserve a lot of credit building the team like they have, but do you honestly think that this is a winning formula for every team? I mean they turned it around amazingly after Billy King stunk the team up, but can we have an honest talk?

How does a team get itself in championship contention? Seems like a lot try, but how many teams have real chance of winning it all, and how they have done it? I know you love to point to the Sixers, but what Sam Presti is doing in OKC is fine by everybody?

I get the anti-Sixers take is the cool thing in this thread, and as a Sixers' fan, we can take it not being soft and have to ignore everybody. But i honestly don't know what you are talking about above

Seriously? I have said numerous times that the Nets front office, particularly Scott Marks, deserve a lot of credit building the team like they have, but do you honestly think that this is a winning formula for every team? I mean they turned it around amazingly after Billy King stunk the team up, but can we have an honest talk?

How does a team get itself in championship contention? Seems like a lot try, but how many teams have real chance of winning it all, and how they have done it? I know you love to point to the Sixers, but what Sam Presti is doing in OKC is fine by everybody?

I get the anti-Sixers take is the cool thing in this thread, and as a Sixers' fan, we can take it not being soft and have to ignore everybody. But i honestly don't know what you are talking about above
No you whined about the Nets in the post I quoted, but what the Sixers did was far more embarrassing for the league. I give Heinke credit for having a vision and seeing it through but it's just as unnatural of a way to try and win a championship as signing all the best free agents.

As far as only a few teams having a chance to win it all - in the NBA it's ALWAYS been that way because 1-3 great players have a much bigger impact on a game than in any other sport. The only difference is now it's done far less organically. 

Please link all my "anti-Sixers" takes in here please, by the way. I'll wait. It may take a while. 

I think he did an overall good job, but the Bogdonavich thing was a complete cluster. He would have really helped that team

Yeah, because his team did it. 

The regular season has always been meaningless since they went to 16 teams. That isn’t a new development. 
I am old enough to remember when people would complain the NBA playoffs were the worst because only the top 3 seeds usually had a chance to win and that was like 2 years ago. 

Are you talking about the same dumpster fire Cameron Payne THe Bulls and Thunder had at one time? 
ya, oddly enough. CP3 tutelage has done him a world. still looks like JarJar, tho

Austin Rivers is single handedly trying to ruin this game.

One of these things is not like the others...one of these things just doesn't belong.

Everytime he tries to go one on one something ugly happens.
Reggie Miller was hilarious about him on an earlier broadcast. He basically said that when you're down to the nubs you need a kid like Rivers who says "no prob" to guarding Dame or whoever and thinks he can make every shot more than a more talented, less volatile guy who doesnt have his playoff huevos yet

Like LeBron at the end of his first Cavs stint...Giannis needs to work on his post game all offseason.  Playoff defenses can take away parts of his driving game and get away with playing smaller defenders against him now.  He needs to get down there and make defenses pay.  It will also keep him out of situations where he's susceptible to offensive fouls and injury.

Also, coach Bud needs to show something against the Nets or he'll be gone.  The Bucks looks lost out there right now.  On offense Giannis has the ball up top way too much and the ball movement just isn't good enough.  On defense the team worked on switching all season long (costing them many regular games as they improved) but where's it been against Brooklyn?
a palsied vole would have noticed that the Nets had some answers for Anteaternintendo's drives but none for his downlow moves and worked up a coupla post plays for Game Two. if i were GM, ida flat walked into the Bucks lockerroom last nite and told Bud "gimme da keys. you aint driving my car NO mo". shameful -

hope Doc Rives realizes the same thing about his 2nd half experiment w Simmons guarding Trae. He cant have then Harris coming out on traps, cuz 1) Trae can wiggle between two 6'9 guys 2) then you got two headbands & Rodillas de Piedra guarding everybody else. i know that means running actual new plays in playoff practice *scary music* but that's the cost

Can't believe I missed this. I think I missing a joke about a pill helping him score. 
You can see him mentally struggling with it right up to the second free throw where he just hits the front of the rim.  Just zero confidence in that one going in.  He seems to be just conceding to himself and giving up on his shot.  It really isn't that his form looks bad, it seems to just be completely mental.

Somebody needs to make him fight through it (during the offseason) and just shoot so many shots that his arms almost fall off.  Build him up, working from 2 feet, then 3, 4, etc. until he is shooting 3's.  Do it every single day.  Start close until you hit like 5 in a row and then back up.  He needs to see the ball go in and believe it is going in and do it enough that it becomes second nature and the assumption is that every shot goes in.  Just like he can dribble and pass without worrying about it, he needs to shoot without thinking.

You can see him mentally struggling with it right up to the second free throw where he just hits the front of the rim.  Just zero confidence in that one going in.  He seems to be just conceding to himself and giving up on his shot.  It really isn't that his form looks bad, it seems to just be completely mental.

Somebody needs to make him fight through it (during the offseason) and just shoot so many shots that his arms almost fall off.  Build him up, working from 2 feet, then 3, 4, etc. until he is shooting 3's.  Do it every single day.  Start close until you hit like 5 in a row and then back up.  He needs to see the ball go in and believe it is going in and do it enough that it becomes second nature and the assumption is that every shot goes in.  Just like he can dribble and pass without worrying about it, he needs to shoot without thinking.
People were saying that when he left college and dummies like us in the thread were saying that after his 1st year and how it would cap how good he could be and even hurt his team playing 4 on 5 on offense. Yet, here we are 4 years later and people are defending it and Ben isn't putting in the serious work in to get better. 

Just remember that sentiment if you don’t get lucky in the draft and you’re watching a terrible team in year 6 of a rebuild.  
Sir, I grew up a Mavs fan in the 80s/90s and I assure you, I've seen stagnated rebuilds.  I've also witnessed the failure of a #1 draft pick up close and personal with the Greg Oden fiasco.  They're not enjoyable, but neither is the realization that your stuck with Round 1 playoff exits with an occasion advancement but ultimate failure because you just.  can't.  compete.  as a small market team in the mega-superstar-team creation era game of today.  

Users who are viewing this thread