What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (13 Viewers)

Wow. Surprised they were able to move Kemba (even if it's for Al Horford...his deal is only partially guaranteed in 22-23). I don't think it's a given Kemba can pass a physical. 
Yeah, that seems like a lot of $ to shell out for the 16th pick. Maybe they just figure they’ll need to spend it to get to the floor anyway. 

I think this is going to be a big positive for the Mavericks. But nothing in life is certain and the execution is what will really make this decision judged.
Overall I agree with the majority of your take here.  However, the two real issues in Dallas that (probably) won't be solved by just hiring a new GM and head coach:

1 - Does Mark Cuban empower the people he hires to do particular jobs?  There have been rumblings for years that he really makes a lot of basketball decisions and/or will listen to different people at different times.  For example: someone other than the GM, like a highly opinionated, former professional gambler.  It's his prerogative to do whatever he wants, but without some semblance of a chain of command there will be constant power struggles and, at times, poor morale.

Same with the head coach.  If players feel his strings are simply being pulled by others, the respect won't be there and they won't respond to him, no matter how sound the schemes or motivational the words.

2 - Will Luka Doncic mature into the leader the Mavs need to build a championship winner? The guy is a superstar, the exact type of player an organization hopes to land with a high pick.  However, he's a bit volatile (just young and competitive?) right now and that will need to eventually change.  You can't be outwardly yelling at your head coach every time he calls a timeout you don't agree with (or the officials on every call).  That behavior is understood occasionally, but reading reports it sounds like he needs to mature a bit.

As importantly, his heliocentric game is great right now.  Doncic has proven himself, puts up crazy numbers, and looks to be a force for a long time.  The team won't be championship caliber until he's willing to play off ball at times as the talent around him improves.  He'll need multiple players to be more than just shooters to win a title and for that to happen his game will need to continue to mature...just like his leadership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Middleton and Giannis join Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal as the only teammates in NBA history to each record 30+ points and 10+ rebounds in the same game twice in a single NBA Playoffs.

Also, Middleton joins Jimmy Butler '20, Gary Payton '00, Patrick Ewing '90, and Michael Jordan '89 as the only players with at least 35 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, and 5 steals in a playoff game.  That's pretty esteemed company.

Also, Middleton joins Jimmy Butler '20, Gary Payton '00, Patrick Ewing '90, and Michael Jordan '89 as the only players with at least 35 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, and 5 steals in a playoff game.  That's pretty esteemed company.
He may also join those guys soon in not winning an NBA title during the season when that happened.

:rant:

Honestly, if the Bucks can get past the Nets, I really like their chances going forward...
Sorry GB.  I'm rooting for the Bucks too.   I still blame game 5 on my son, who at the 11 minute mark of the 3rd quarter said "why are you still watching?   This is over."

I was like "dude, you've been raised as a Packer fan.  How can you possibly think this is over?   Why are you jinxing the team?"   He just laughed and disappeared to his room.  And then they lost.  😡

@trader jake  Can you believe this freaking kid doesn't understand a jinx yet?

Woj bomb! More picks for OKC :lmao:  

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The Celtics are trading Kemba Walker, the No. 16 overall pick in the 2021 draft and a 2025 second-round draft pick to Oklahoma City for Al Horford, Moses Brown and a 2023 second-round pick, sources tell ESPN.

8:11 AM · Jun 18, 2021
i pretty much figured that OKC would be the only team that could take Kemba and that Al would be part of that if it happened, but Moses is a bonus. that's what you get for compiling 17 pts & 19 boards in the 1st HALF against the Celts, as Brown did this March. kinda disappointed Kemba will interfere with Maledon's development in OKC (i'm dynasty-invested), but they were likely to end up w Cade Cunningham or Jalen Suggs in the draft anyway. as i said before, with the condition of his knee, the best role for Kemba now would be microwaving off the bench anyway. we'll probably see the sparkplug backup PG, a la Clarkson, become as important a position as light-em-up bench post was 5 yrs ago in the development of Randle and Sabonis.

Big Al never shoulda left, but he bought the groceries Kyrie was selling about the Celts org being as racist as its city. he'll enjoy his emeritus years as the starting/ending four and coach on the floor for the younguns. Moses & Timelord should divvy the C mins almost exactly in half, they can dump TrisTs 2nd year. i just dont think 8-mile Pritchard is as good as Stevens does and he and Maaaacus Smaaaat splitting the point worries me a li'l.

Surely we won't have to worry about Kemba taking minutes from Maledon. Interested to see when Presti decides it's time to pivot to trying to be a real team. 

Overall I agree with the majority of your take here.  However, the two real issues in Dallas that (probably) won't be solved by just hiring a new GM and head coach:

1 - Does Mark Cuban empower the people he hires to do particular jobs?  There have been rumblings for years that he really makes a lot of basketball decisions and/or will listen to different people at different times.  For example: someone other than the GM, like a highly opinionated, former professional gambler.  It's his prerogative to do whatever he wants, but without some semblance of a chain of command there will be constant power struggles and, at times, poor morale.

Same with the head coach.  If players feel his strings are simply being pulled by others, the respect won't be there and they won't respond to him, no matter how sound the schemes or motivational the words.

2 - Will Luka Doncic mature into the leader the Mavs need to build a championship winner? The guy is a superstar, the exact type of player an organization hopes to land with a high pick.  However, he's a bit volatile (just young and competitive?) right now and that will need to eventually change.  You can't be outwardly yelling at your head coach every time he calls a timeout you don't agree with (or the officials on every call).  That behavior is understood occasionally, but reading reports it sounds like he needs to mature a bit.

As importantly, his heliocentric game is great right now.  Doncic has proven himself, puts up crazy numbers, and looks to be a force for a long time.  The team won't be championship caliber until he's willing to play off ball at times as the talent around him improves.  He'll need multiple players to be more than just shooters to win a title and for that to happen his game will need to continue to mature...just like his leadership.
Cuban has always reminded me of the Aus/NZ satcom "tycoons" i encountered in NV in the 90s - more out-of-control salesman caught up in a boom than savvy businessman. one can only make so many splashes before they run out of water, and Mark's a little dry, hoopswise.

the key to Doncic will be whether the Mavs can find a coach or complimentary talent who can convince him that there is a point where ball-dominance actually hurts a team's win share. teams are just going to get better&better at defending suck-the-oxygen-out-of-the-room types like he & Tatum and i expect this to be the peak for the Mavs unless they make some wise personnel moves.

Dirk showing up to save the Mavs again. Interesting that turned down working with best buddy Nash less than a year ago, only to work with Cuban again. Why he will always be the most beloved athlete in DFW, IMO.

Now the question is, does he go find out what Luka wants and make it happen, or help Luka understand what Cuban wants and makes that happen?

Why are the Clippers +390 to win the conference and Utah +240?  Seems being up 3-2 you are in better position.  And should Phoenix really be -150 now?  They were heavy dogs going into the playoffs.  Why would they be heavily favored over Utah or the Clippers?   

Why are the Clippers +390 to win the conference and Utah +240?  Seems being up 3-2 you are in better position.  And should Phoenix really be -150 now?  They were heavy dogs going into the playoffs.  Why would they be heavily favored over Utah or the Clippers?   
The Jazz are slight favorites tonight on the road, I guess they just feel like 3-2 down without Kawhi isn’t all that daunting. I agree after watching game 5. The Clips, particularly Reggie Jackson, just made a bunch of tough shots. I don’t see it happening again unless PG can get to the rim consistently. 

Injury concerns for the clips and jazz plus the winner will be coming off a difficult series. Maybe they know something we don’t about CP3 though, because if he’s going to miss some of those games -150 doesn’t seem right to me either. 

Sorry GB.  I'm rooting for the Bucks too.   I still blame game 5 on my son, who at the 11 minute mark of the 3rd quarter said "why are you still watching?   This is over."

I was like "dude, you've been raised as a Packer fan.  How can you possibly think this is over?   Why are you jinxing the team?"   He just laughed and disappeared to his room.  And then they lost.  😡

@trader jake  Can you believe this freaking kid doesn't understand a jinx yet?
My daughter did the same thing, she came into the family room with the game on and said they got this why are you watching?  My wife proceeded to tell her she just jinxed them.  Kids nowadays don't understand the true intrinsic value in jinxing your team.  Me on the other hand I know, I didn't even watch last nights game due to my jinxing capabilities.

Inspired by an Athletic ranking the current coaching vacancies, I ask this: Which is the best young tandem among Tatum/Brown, Zion/Ingram, and Luka/Porzingas? Use whatever criteria you like as long as it relates to those players. 

Surely we won't have to worry about Kemba taking minutes from Maledon. Interested to see when Presti decides it's time to pivot to trying to be a real team. 
I assume at some point they will make a big offer to move up for a prospect fall in love with. Picking up Kemba makes me think that isn't this offseason.

Inspired by an Athletic ranking the current coaching vacancies, I ask this: Which is the best young tandem among Tatum/Brown, Zion/Ingram, and Luka/Porzingas? Use whatever criteria you like as long as it relates to those players. 
the Pels, mostly because, while Ingram & Zion did not play well together last season, they are not patterned enough in their dysfunction with each other that a coach cant find a level for them. i'd say the talent is pretty even between those three pairings

ETA: Pels also have more cap flexibility, depending what they do w Ball

If you're a Sixers fan who wants Ben Simmons gone, you are probably hoping the team gets eliminated tonight with the cherry on top of being blown out hopefully forces the major changes needed to help Embiid win something. 

Atlanta being a bit sloppy, this could be a lot bigger of a lead.
I'm not sure the start the game could have gone better for the Hawks - Simmon/Harris 2 fouls and have to sit and Curry gets banged up.  They need to stretch it out and hope the Sixers have a hangover from the last two games.

Users who are viewing this thread