Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos

Capella

2 hours ago, Insein said:

He took shots. He came away with Embiid and Simmons. Simmons is immensely talented. No one can deny that. He's just a mental midget when it comes to the game. Hard to predict that. 

All the players he did draft plus the capital he accumulated managed to get Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris in the same season. Can't be helped management screwed that up. Joel, Butler and Tobias would have been a way better group to put pieces around.

Not really. There were already some red flags with that but people wanted to deny that. Go back to this article from March of 2016 from Jonathan Giovney and there's numerious examples. #1 and #4 here are exactly things people are saying about Simmons today now. People especially Sixers fans and media just completely ignored it. Yes Simmons is very athletic, moves well and passes well for a Big but other then that he's not much else. 

NOTE: I remember posting this 5 yrs ago this past March and all the hate I got from friends. Sure enough a lot of what Giovney says here is correct about Simmons today. My Cousin at the time was dating his now wife who's From Australia and I had already heard a few stories about issues with him and the Australian National team back then that weren't so great. One of her best friends and Bridesmaids father was a trainer for the U's Aussies back then so he got extensive looks at Simmons constantly.  

Giovney: Why Simmons isn't the #1 overall prospect for the 2016 Draft.

44 minutes ago, identikit said:

Is it Hippling Monday in this joint when there's no games scheduled?

You need to update your noteback. Hippling was retired. It's now DJacking since 2018.

Edited by Insein
  • Laughing 2

Since it seems to be Ben Simmons day in here tonight, i guess i will keep it going. The Ben bashing has been pretty hilarious today, and honestly half of the other Sixers should be buying him a gift since the entire NBA media seem to feel that the series loss was 100% Ben Simmons. 

No doubt he was horrendous in that Atlanta series, particularly the last 3 games. But I do like that he is no longer looking to play for Australia team in the olympics this year (cue the jokes that he couldn't make the team), because he has talked about wanting to play for them for the last 2 years. Was excited and even discussing it this year, and it is a big step for him to decline now with the intent to focus on his game. 

Hearing rumors he is open to shooting with his other hand now, which i am absolutely guaranteeing Kevin O'Conner is wetting himself in excitement hearing that. Everybody is saying the right thing for this summer, which is different then the last 2-3, and to be honest i think this is Ben's final straw. We either see significant improvements by next year, or he is traded by the trade deadline next year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

So just found out she is a dual citizen.......with Russia?!?  Apparently it earned her triple salary for the club she played for in Moscow and allowed her to play in the Olympics since the US didn't invite her to try out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

So just found out she is a dual citizen.......with Russia?!?  Apparently it earned her triple salary for the club she played for in Moscow and allowed her to play in the Olympics since the US didn't invite her to try out.

She didn't get an invite despite being WNBA MVP the year of tryouts then everyone accused her of being a traitor for going to the Russians.

49 minutes ago, modogg said:

Since it seems to be Ben Simmons day in here tonight, i guess i will keep it going. The Ben bashing has been pretty hilarious today, and honestly half of the other Sixers should be buying him a gift since the entire NBA media seem to feel that the series loss was 100% Ben Simmons. 

No doubt he was horrendous in that Atlanta series, particularly the last 3 games. But I do like that he is no longer looking to play for Australia team in the olympics this year (cue the jokes that he couldn't make the team), because he has talked about wanting to play for them for the last 2 years. Was excited and even discussing it this year, and it is a big step for him to decline now with the intent to focus on his game. 

Hearing rumors he is open to shooting with his other hand now, which i am absolutely guaranteeing Kevin O'Conner is wetting himself in excitement hearing that. Everybody is saying the right thing for this summer, which is different then the last 2-3, and to be honest i think this is Ben's final straw. We either see significant improvements by next year, or he is traded by the trade deadline next year 

And Sunday was his birthday?   oof

• Like 1

6 hours ago, modogg said:

If he were to work on his shooting all summer and not get better, his trade value would be even worse at the trade deadline. And, of course, if he does improve, the Sixers would want to keep him. If they want to trade him, now is the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juxtatarot said:

If he were to work on his shooting all summer and not get better, his trade value would be even worse at the trade deadline. And, of course, if he does improve, the Sixers would want to keep him. If they want to trade him, now is the time.

Depends on the approach he is taking about his shooting. If he is just trying to improve his confidence so he isn't scared to shoot then he should see a slight improvement next year. If he is going to rebuild his shot and try to become a different shooter then he probably doesn't see an improvement next season. The latter takes a lot longer, but also has a bigger upside. 

1 hour ago, Juxtatarot said:

Couldn’t disagree more. His value across the league may be the lowest it has ever been. The Sixers are not in any rush right now to move Ben since their season is over. the only possible reason they would move Ben now is if they felt he was beyond any kind of help which would make zero sense since he was all star level during the regular season. 

The silliness for the trade scenarios for Ben go both ways. I was listening to something yesterday that was suggesting the only trade scenarios the Sixers have are like the John Wall deals or the Horford deal like they made last year 

10 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

Depends on the approach he is taking about his shooting. If he is just trying to improve his confidence so he isn't scared to shoot then he should see a slight improvement next year. If he is going to rebuild his shot and try to become a different shooter then he probably doesn't see an improvement next season. The latter takes a lot longer, but also has a bigger upside. 

Rumor is he may be switching to shooting with his right hand instead of his left which some have been crying for for years. 
im sure he will be plenty more confident in he regular season, no reason he has fallen off a cliff as bad as he has in that Atlanta series. Outside of the hack a Ben which didn’t work too crazy in any of the games, no one was really talking about Ben. Only discussions from first 2-3 games were how he was shutting down Trae. 

7 minutes ago, modogg said:

Rumor is he may be switching to shooting with his right hand instead of his left which some have been crying for for years. 
im sure he will be plenty more confident in he regular season, no reason he has fallen off a cliff as bad as he has in that Atlanta series. Outside of the hack a Ben which didn’t work too crazy in any of the games, no one was really talking about Ben. Only discussions from first 2-3 games were how he was shutting down Trae. 

If he is switching hands this is going to be a long process. An all world shooter like Klay or Steph was switching hands would have trouble doing it one off season. Not only is Simmons switching hands, but his confidence is shot right now and there will be a lot of struggles along the way. How will his confidence hold up? 

Hack a Ben did work, Atlanta just didn't use it much. Ben just had the worst free throw percentage in NBA playoff history. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, modogg said:

If I recall correctly, Doc didn't have Ben guarding Trae initially.

Just checked, Trae scored 35 in Game 1

Trae's ppg in the series:

35-21-28-25-39-34-21

Mixed bag, at best

Edited by identikit

10 minutes ago, identikit said:

If I recall correctly, Doc didn't have Ben guarding Trae initially.

Just checked, Trae scored 35 in Game 1

Trae's ppg in the series:

35-21-28-25-39-34-21

Mixed bag, at best

yup, and that was because Doc had Danny Green on Trae the entire first half when Atlanta was up 20+ for most of that game. i think Ben started guarding Trae in the second half

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whoknew said:

HUGE night. Draft lottery day. Ben Wallace will be there to bring the Pistons luck. LETS GO! CADE!

Cade is the dream. I would be thrilled with any top 3 pick and be happy if they stay at 5. Anything else will be another day of being a Piston fan. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, modogg said:

yup, and that was because Doc had Danny Green on Trae the entire first half when Atlanta was up 20+ for most of that game. i think Ben started guarding Trae in the second half

Like I said, mixed bag when you look at Trae's ppg over the 7 games.

Not close to a consistent shutdown by Ben.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, modogg said:
1 hour ago, msudaisy26 said:

One can only imagine the way you'd be trashing the whole Celtics organization right now if they had been the ones with both the Fultz and Simmons situations so close to each other like this. 

• Like 2

if ben is australian instead of switching hands maybe they can teach him to kick the ball through the hoop aussie rugby style and every time he makes a kick basket they can have a crocodile pop up on the jumbotron and say thats a three mate fosters its australian for beer and also he would have to wear one of those rugby helmets every game and that my friends would be pretty awesome take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 9

2 minutes ago, SWC said:

if ben is australian instead of switching hands maybe they can teach him to kick the ball through the hoop aussie rugby style and every time he makes a kick basket they can have a crocodile pop up on the jumbotron and say thats a three mate fosters its australian for beer and also he would have to wear one of those rugby helmets every game and that my friends would be pretty awesome take that to the bank bromigos 

They could have those refs in the white chemist coats come out from the baseline and signal  how many points he scores with each kick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

19 minutes ago, jhib said:

One can only imagine the way you'd be trashing the whole Celtics organization right now if they had been the ones with both the Fultz and Simmons situations so close to each other like this. 

negative. Ben is a complete team player, more so then iso. but. my pee and anger is gone. Sixers are horrible and that game 4 and game 5 took the wind out of my sales. 

I think the team will be fine, and even without any changes, there is no reason to think this team wouldn't be top 3 in the conference again. but i highly doubt that will be the case

45 minutes ago, identikit said:

Like I said, mixed bag when you look at Trae's ppg over the 7 games.

Not close to a consistent shutdown by Ben.

i'm happy to throw the Ben talk out the window for a few months, but Ben did lock down Trae a lot. this is a good example like most of difference between watching the games and looking at the boxscores. This isn't a poke at yourself as an FYI. just that Ben matched up very well with Trae (5 of 23 in game 7 was not all on Trae), and Ben held him in check mostly. it was if he got a switch or ben was on the bench, Trae would certainly get his. He got points on Ben for sure too, but it is trickier than just pulling the stats

1 minute ago, identikit said:

They could have those refs in the white chemist coats come out from the baseline and signal  how many points he scores with each kick.

we can start calling hiim crocodile missedthree take that to the bank bromigo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 7

2 minutes ago, modogg said:

negative. Ben is a complete team player, more so then iso. but. my pee and anger is gone. Sixers are horrible and that game 4 and game 5 took the wind out of my sales. 

I think the team will be fine, and even without any changes, there is no reason to think this team wouldn't be top 3 in the conference again. but i highly doubt that will be the case

I think there's plenty of reasons to think that may not be the case. I'm not saying they won't be, but the Bucks and Nets will likely be better and you have a bunch of up and coming teams that can improve this offseason with one key free agent acquisition. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msudaisy26 said:

If he is switching hands this is going to be a long process. An all world shooter like Klay or Steph was switching hands would have trouble doing it one off season. Not only is Simmons switching hands, but his confidence is shot right now and there will be a lot of struggles along the way. How will his confidence hold up? 

Hack a Ben did work, Atlanta just didn't use it much. Ben just had the worst free throw percentage in NBA playoff history. 

and i think that is why he hasn't made significant improvements (or at least hope). it isn't like you can change your shooting hand halfway through a season. This past off-season was garbage with a big coaching change, and the year before that Ben was coming off ACL surgery. 

it is a shame that Ben has taken so long to work on this and possibly fix it (hopefully). i have seen a bunch of articles about it, citing Ben shoots considerably better with his right hand. I have no idea at all, but i think an entire summer with Sam Cassell and whoever helps out from the hopefully impressive asst coaches should at least let the team know what it has 

Just now, Dr. Octopus said:

I think there's plenty of reasons to think that may not be the case. I'm not saying they won't be, but the Bucks and Nets will likely be better and you have a bunch of up and coming teams that can improve this offseason with one key free agent acquisition. 

yeah, no doubt. definitely can be, and i would absolutely love it if someone did know and posted in here so i could have strong faith in future bets for wins per team for the year. 

But i think the sixers will make a splash as well. Morrey isn't one to sit and be passive. This loss in the 2nd series was pretty crushing. I don't know what moves, but i wouldn't be surprised if they bring in Lowery or at least a stretch 5 to help the transition game and give another back-up option for Embiid. 

For me, i would love if that guy becomes B-Ball Paul. MVP of the G-league, and what the guy looks like he needs is jsut some time and exp. 

• Like 1

To take a side bar, I was curious what might be considered the best draft year in the NBA. I picked 10,000 point scorers as the metric to go with. There were 8 drafts (so far) with at least 10 players that scored 10,000+ points . . .

1999 (11 players)
Jason Terry, Shawn Marion, Elton Brand, Andre Miller, Richard Hamilton, Mano Ginobili, Baron Davis, Corey Maggette, Metta World Peace, Lamar Odom, Steve Francis

1996 (11 players)
Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Allen Iverson, Steve Nash, Stephon Marbury, Antowain Walker, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Peja Stoyakovic, Jermaine O'Neal, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Derek Fisher

1985 (11 players)
Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, Joe Dumars, Detlef Schrempf, Terry Porter, Xavier McDaniel, Wayman Tisdale, Charles Oakley, Gerald Wilkins

1981 (11 players)
Tom Chambers, Eddie Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Mark Aguirre, Rolando Blackman, Buck Williams, Larry Nance, Orlando Woolridge, Kelly Tripucka, Danny Ainge, Herb Williams

1977 (11 players)
Bernard King, Walter Davis, Jack Sikma, James Edwards, Marques Johnson, Otis Birdsong, Norm Nixon, Cedric Maxwell, Robert Reid, Eddie Johnson, Ray Williams

1970 (11 players)
Bob Lanier, Calvin Murphy, Tiny Archibald, Randy Smith, Pete Maravich, Dan Issel, Dave Cowens, Rudy Tomjanovich, John Johnson, Sam Lacey, Charlie Scott

2004 (10 players)
Dwight Howard, Al Jefferson, Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng, Josh Smith, Kevin Martin, J.R. Smith, Trevor Ariza, Ben Gordon, Devin Harris

1984 (10 players)
Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwan, Charles Barkley, John Stockton, Otis Thorpe, Kevin Willis, Sam Perkins, Jerome Kersey, Alvin Robertson, Vern Fleming

In terms of drafts with 5,000+ point scorers . . .
1985 (23 players)
2008 (23 players)
2005 (21 players)
1981 (20 players)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modogg said:

i'm happy to throw the Ben talk out the window for a few months, but Ben did lock down Trae a lot. this is a good example like most of difference between watching the games and looking at the boxscores. This isn't a poke at yourself as an FYI. just that Ben matched up very well with Trae (5 of 23 in game 7 was not all on Trae), and Ben held him in check mostly. it was if he got a switch or ben was on the bench, Trae would certainly get his. He got points on Ben for sure too, but it is trickier than just pulling the stats

we all know why you want to do the whole dont look at the boxscore thing and its because trae young averaged 25 points per game this season but he averaged 29 against the sixers ole croc didnt even hold him to his average let alone below it take that to the bank brohan  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

To take a side bar, I was curious what might be considered the best draft year in the NBA. I picked 10,000 point scorers as the metric to go with. There were 8 drafts (so far) with at least 10 players that scored 10,000+ points . . .

1999 (11 players)
Jason Terry, Shawn Marion, Elton Brand, Andre Miller, Richard Hamilton, Mano Ginobili, Baron Davis, Corey Maggette, Metta World Peace, Lamar Odom, Steve Francis

1996 (11 players)
Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Allen Iverson, Steve Nash, Stephon Marbury, Antowain Walker, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Peja Stoyakovic, Jermaine O'Neal, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Derek Fisher

1985 (11 players)
Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, Joe Dumars, Detlef Schrempf, Terry Porter, Xavier McDaniel, Wayman Tisdale, Charles Oakley, Gerald Wilkins

1981 (11 players)
Tom Chambers, Eddie Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Mark Aguirre, Rolando Blackman, Buck Williams, Larry Nance, Orlando Woolridge, Kelly Tripucka, Danny Ainge, Herb Williams

1977 (11 players)
Bernard King, Walter Davis, Jack Sikma, James Edwards, Marques Johnson, Otis Birdsong, Norm Nixon, Cedric Maxwell, Robert Reid, Eddie Johnson, Ray Williams

1970 (11 players)
Bob Lanier, Calvin Murphy, Tiny Archibald, Randy Smith, Pete Maravich, Dan Issel, Dave Cowens, Rudy Tomjanovich, John Johnson, Sam Lacey, Charlie Scott

2004 (10 players)
Dwight Howard, Al Jefferson, Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng, Josh Smith, Kevin Martin, J.R. Smith, Trevor Ariza, Ben Gordon, Devin Harris

1984 (10 players)
Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwan, Charles Barkley, John Stockton, Otis Thorpe, Kevin Willis, Sam Perkins, Jerome Kersey, Alvin Robertson, Vern Fleming

1985 (23 players)
2008 (23 players)
2005 (21 players)
1981 (20 players)

You look at those first four names on the 1984 list, and it would be hard to argue for any other class

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nysfl2 said:

You look at those first four names on the 1984 list, and it would be hard to argue for any other class

I would tend to agree, but 1970 had the most HOF inductees in a single class with 7.

1 hour ago, jhib said:

Ainge failing with all the wealth he had in the past few years is reason enough to trash the Celtics organization.  If the Sixers are Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber....the Celtics are pretty much Harry.  

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4

For anyone who subscribes to The Athletic, Hollinger's writeup on the top draft prospects is awesome: https://theathletic.com/2666193/2021/06/22/top-20-nba-draft-prospects-for-2021-cade-cunningham-ranks-no-1-but-not-by-much/

He's not as high on Cunningham as others (still his #1 prospect, but his comp is Khris Middleton), and he really likes Scottie Barnes.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, caustic said:

For anyone who subscribes to The Athletic, Hollinger's writeup on the top draft prospects is awesome: https://theathletic.com/2666193/2021/06/22/top-20-nba-draft-prospects-for-2021-cade-cunningham-ranks-no-1-but-not-by-much/

He's not as high on Cunningham as others (still his #1 prospect, but his comp is Khris Middleton), and he really likes Scottie Barnes.

i loved how much he loved B-Ball Paul, and how when they did their redraft a few months ago he even had Paul as a mid-1st rounder. Was an impressive call on his part since he was one of the last picks in the draft. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, caustic said:

Not a subscriber.  Can you list his top 5 prospects?  TIA

12 hours ago, Jayrod said:

That would be an awesome hire for Portland, the NBA, sports and the world in general.  IMO.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gilroy34 said:

Not a subscriber.  Can you list his top 5 prospects?  TIA

1. Cade Cunningham

2. Evan Mobley

3. Scottie Barnes

4. Alperen Sengun

5. Jalen Green

Then he has Suggs at 6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

1999 (11 players)

1996 (11 players)

1985 (11 players)

1981 (11 players)

1977 (11 players)

1970 (11 players)

2004 (10 players)

1984 (10 players)

1985 (23 players)
2008 (23 players)
2005 (21 players)
1981 (20 players)

not to take anything away from your post, but Bill Simmons did this.... last year? maybe 2 years ago. 

spread out across several podcast episodes. 

that said, they basically talked a lot about the first couple picks, dismissed everyone else in the class and then did a re-draft with the conclusion that each draft is essentially 3-4 useful players and everyone else is trash.  a bit harsh, i thought, but still interesting.

• Like 1

not this year but next year it will be neat to watch the draft because potentially we could see both uw milwaukee and marquette have guys leaving early to go in baldwin and joplin pretty fun time for milwaukee bball right now take that to the bank brohans 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

not to take anything away from your post, but Bill Simmons did this.... last year? maybe 2 years ago. 

spread out across several podcast episodes. 

that said, they basically talked a lot about the first couple picks, dismissed everyone else in the class and then did a re-draft with the conclusion that each draft is essentially 3-4 useful players and everyone else is trash.  a bit harsh, i thought, but still interesting.

it is what pretty much 90% of the NBA media does. it has become so strange, last 20 years have made basketball all an individual sport. You could see in the Hawks-6'ers series when all they talked about with the Hawks was Trae Young, and a little bit about Nate McMillan. 

Sad and strange, but NBA only has itself to blame with some of the rule changes they have made. I think i even asked it in here like 3-4 years ago, but is it a good thing or bad thing, i have no idea. 

Just crazy how teams are rarely looked at as a whole, and the concept seems to have just evaporated. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, modogg said:

I don't think bringing him back next year helps anyone. SO many people want him gone fanbase wise. Embiid literally threw him under the bus after the game. Doc was not your typical coddling the player Doc after the Game with Ben either. For the sake of Ben and the team they need to trade him this summer. Bringing this guy back next year does a disservice to the Organization and player. You aren't gonna sign any big name FA's who are gonna want to come here with Ben here. I mean 1 already left because they didn't want to play with Ben. I'd also figure out what to do with Harris because he's never gonna live up to that contract. 

I think what we are getting right now is damage control to help save whatever Trade value Ben has left. 

13 hours ago, Navin Johnson said:

She didn't get an invite despite being WNBA MVP the year of tryouts then everyone accused her of being a traitor for going to the Russians.

Yep that was pretty wild then. This years WNBA MVP didn't even make the USA Olympic roster either 

1 minute ago, DJackson10 said:

I don't think bringing him back next year helps anyone. SO many people want him gone fanbase wise. Embiid literally threw him under the bus after the game. Doc was not your typical coddling the player Doc after the Game with Ben either. For the sake of Ben and the team they need to trade him this summer. Bringing this guy back next year does a disservice to the Organization and player. You aren't gonna sign any big name FA's who are gonna want to come here with Ben here. I mean 1 already left because they didn't want to play with Ben. I'd also figure out what to do with Harris because he's never gonna live up to that contract. 

I think what we are getting right now is damage control to help save whatever Trade value Ben has left. 

Could be a great comeback story ever if he fixes some things.

Most improved player, even.

I am somewhat surprised at how many guys are wanting to play in Tokyo. Thought everybody would want the time off. Not going to be a very interesting tournament. 

Edited by Moe.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Yeah this him working on his stuff is just damage control. The Sixers know they F'd up and are now trying to save any trade value left with him 

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Thunderlips said:

Ainge failing with all the wealth he had in the past few years is reason enough to trash the Celtics organization.  If the Sixers are Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber....the Celtics are pretty much Harry.  

Fwiw, Harry > Lloyd

2 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Yeah this him working on his stuff is just damage control. The Sixers know they F'd up and are now trying to save any trade value left with him 

Cuz on 97.5 brought up a good point.......you're either going to go with a big package to get a good player...or you're moving Simmons for Kuzma.  His thought was Simmons "as is" is better than Kuzma; so he'd rather keep Simmons and hope he gets better.  

1 minute ago, Thunderlips said:

Cuz on 97.5 brought up a good point.......you're either going to go with a big package to get a good player...or you're moving Simmons for Kuzma.  His thought was Simmons "as is" is better than Kuzma; so he'd rather keep Simmons and hope he gets better.  

I'm of the mindset that with the failing of the HC in this postseason along with the idea of "load management" in the regular season makes regular season games less important.  To that, Ben is a decent regular season guy; he's 25; he's built like a basketball player and MIGHT still have some upside.  Best case for the Sixers is if they can move him for a similar contract guy; who's over the hill who might give them better PLAYOFF basketball than Ben can give them.  I'm not going to say Kevin Love......but Kevin Lovesque.

• Like 1

• Capella changed the title to 2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos