What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (13 Viewers)

I have watched a lot of Bucks games this year, especially when Giannis has been out. The Bucks always seem like a better offense when he was out. More space, more ball movement. I even remember seeing a stat that their offense per 100 is almost the same, but their defense really lacks without Giannis. 

So I am wondering when/if the Bucks should start treating Giannis like Shaq, Duncan, Embiid etc. Make sure he touches the ball every possession, but run the offense through Jrue and Middleton. @SWC @gruecd @mr furley
That and they aren’t taking stupid 3s - Lopez has 15 shots and only 2 are 3s.  He seems to avoid the paint when Giannis is in to clear the lane.  

Hawks defense has been garbage all night.  I’m not sure they can improve on that much but if Trae can’t go in game 6 I would seriously consider starting Reddish and moving Lou back to the bench.

I'm guessing McMillan can't find the right answer re: Lopez

I can't believe I just typed that.
Capela played only 21 minutes - not sure if his eye was worse than expected or they just wanted to give Okungwu more time.  Either way, I’m not sure it matters because our perimeter defense is so bad that whoever is playing Lopez has to be ready to help every trip down.  Huerter, Bogdanovic and Lou are all poor defenders.  They can’t stay in front of Middleton and Holiday.  Only hope is to hope they are missing jumpers and tonight they didn’t even have to depend on that. 

Just got back from the game. Kudos to Bud for finally doing what everyone else knew they should’ve been doing all along. What’s hilarious (and sad) is that I don’t trust him to do it again on Saturday…

I have no idea whether or not Giannis is anywhere close to playing, but he looked like he was moving around pretty well on the sideline. I imagine he’ll stay in Milwaukee on Saturday and get treatment in the hope that he’d possibly be available for G7 if it gets that far.

Regardless, nice win tonight. Add in the Brewers winning their ninth straight, and I’ll sleep well…

Don't feel like sifting through the thread for this so apologize if this was already posted. 

On the Ben Simmons front a local Minny guy or someone said the T'Wolves are very interested in Simmons. I can't remember the guys name but he has a contact or knows someone in Ben's camp somehow. I remember him reporting something sometime ago on Simmons people blew off at the time that ended up coming true so we'll see if this rumor grows legs in the near future. 

Don't feel like sifting through the thread for this so apologize if this was already posted. 

On the Ben Simmons front a local Minny guy or someone said the T'Wolves are very interested in Simmons. I can't remember the guys name but he has a contact or knows someone in Ben's camp somehow. I remember him reporting something sometime ago on Simmons people blew off at the time that ended up coming true so we'll see if this rumor grows legs in the near future. 
Simmons for Leandro Bolmaro. Who says no?

This sounds solid.

:oldunsure:

Sounds like an episode of Three’s Company.
More like NO Three's Company.  :amiright:

Simmons seems destined for a big market in the next few years. Not sure he'll get to LA, Miami, or New York this summer though.

I could see Portland if the Blazers burn their house down and move Lillard and McCollum's big contracts and decide to get something for Covington and Nurkic while they can.  The Rockets make sense, but they didn't make the move when they moved Harden, so that seems unlikely.  A dark horse team could be Denver if they're willing to move Porter.  I would.   Maybe DC if the Wiz are finally willing to move Beal and would rather go with Simmons, picks, etc.

More like NO Three's Company.  :amiright:

Simmons seems destined for a big market in the next few years. Not sure he'll get to LA, Miami, or New York this summer though.

I could see Portland if the Blazers burn their house down and move Lillard and McCollum's big contracts and decide to get something for Covington and Nurkic while they can.  The Rockets make sense, but they didn't make the move when they moved Harden, so that seems unlikely.  A dark horse team could be Denver if they're willing to move Porter.  I would.   Maybe DC if the Wiz are finally willing to move Beal and would rather go with Simmons, picks, etc.
I am trying to see how it would work in Denver.  Problem is they already have a slightly less defender and only slightly better shooter in Gordon in the starting 5.  Would need to move him instead of Porter, IMO.  Starting 5 of Murray, Simmons, Jokic, Porter and Barton/Harris would be a lot better overall than Murray, Simmons, Jokic, Gordon, Barton/Harris.  Not sure if Gordon would be enough to get Simmons, though.

An offense with both Gordon & Simmons on the floor would clog up lanes even Jokic couldn't solve, especially in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawks defense has been garbage all night.  I’m not sure they can improve on that much but if Trae can’t go in game 6 I would seriously consider starting Reddish and moving Lou back to the bench.
I thought Lou played well again last night.  Gallinari needs to get more than 22 minutes.  He's killing us this series.  Somehow always ends up with Pat or Jrue guarding him...just horrible matchups for us.  I do have to LOL at him being listed 225 pounds; there's no way he's less than 260-270.

Probably not gonna win win Huerter shooting 3/12, either.

As far as the Bucks are concerned, If Bryn Forbes isn't hitting shots, there's zero reason for him to be on the floor, as he's such a liability defensively.  And if anyone can give me any rationale as to why Bud feels the need to play Jeff Teague in the ECF, I'm all ears.  Honestly, most these guys are 20-something years old.  How they can't play 48 minutes over the course of 2+ hours is beyond me...

I can see danger is if Young is fully back for game 6 and Giannis still cannot play by game 7.
That's the thing, he's not gonna go from not being able to play to being "fully back."  And for a dude that relies so heavily on his quickness and his blow-by speed, I just don't see it...

I am trying to see how (Ben Simmons) would work in Denver. 
Ben Simmons in Denver could work for a few reasons.

1) Jokic's versatility on offense. Jokic is an elite passer that can operate at the elbow and hit from 3.  That opens up the court where Simmons can operate.  He's also a perfect running mate when Jokic or Murray are out, where he can work well in combo with either or just run the thing himself and the Nuggets can then benefit by resting Jokic/Murray at the same times. Simmons could benefit from working his way in while Murray is out as well.

2) The Nuggets defensive issues.  Simmons would immediately help plug the holes created on defense and give the team a chance to matchup against tougher opponents.  His ability to guard almost every opponent immediately gives Denver the defensive player they desperately need.

3) Porter Jr is a ticking timebomb.  His back is an issue, he doesn't play defense, still makes stupid decisions on the court, and his off the court behavior (and words) lead me to believe he's an absolute sell high right now.  He's a ridiculously talented offensive player, but doesn't strike me as a building block guy.  Plus he's gonna get paid big bucks soon.  Denver should get out while they can.  Simmons has his own issues, but a fresh start where he'd be considered the 3rd option could ease the pressure.

4) Denver still has Aaron Gordon and can decide on his future with or without Simmons.  If the Nuggets could add Simmons they could reroute Gordon elsewhere and/or take the money they were going to allocate to him and get another wing shooter instead.

If Denver stands pat they won't have enough defense and they'll be relying on a potential head case in Porter.  Maybe Simmons is the same problem, but I'd rather roll the dice on Ben and at least help solve the defensive problems while working on the offense.  With Jokic & Murray I think they'd be fine on that side even if Ben never improves.  Kind of believe being in Denver vs. Philly would solve half the issues with him, and like the fit in Denver.

fun to talk about because of Simmons' singular skill set but, if i'm a GM, i dont give a frikkin Bolmaro for Ben as is. he has given much more evidence that his game, if not his personality, is devolving than that there's any interest in winning basketball games in there. not without a sit down and a LOT of assurances and, until he hits bottom, i dont see that happening.

the sport in Boston lately has been wondering who to send out Jaylen Brown (plus maybe Maaaacus Smaaaat) for, since his game is too close to Tatum's for the pair to co-exist. Dame, Donovan Mitchell, Beal etc etc. not one mention of Simmons and its not because rival wont trade with rival. we have watched a lot of Simmons the last few years. nm Brown, we aint giving Smaaaat for him. i, though probably Ben's greatest advocate on this board in previous years, agree.

the sport in Boston lately has been wondering who to send out Jaylen Brown (plus maybe Maaaacus Smaaaat) for, since his game is too close to Tatum's for the pair to co-exist. Dame, Donovan Mitchell, Beal etc etc. not one mention of Simmons and its not because rival wont trade with rival. we have watched a lot of Simmons the last few years. nm Brown, we aint giving Smaaaat for him. i, though probably Ben's greatest advocate on this board in previous years, agree.
Simmons talk aside, this is so ridiculous.  If there is anything the modern NBA has taught us, it is that you need 2 high quality scorers to have a shot.  Neither Brown or Tatum need to be shooting 25+ shots per game and can absolutely co-exist on a championship contender.  They are both plus defenders and can be more effective by not being the sole focus of the defense and encouraged to share the ball around. 

I've got sources (pretty good ones) that say that Giannis is doing everything in his power to play and that he even wanted to play last night already.  Based on what I'm hearing, I'd no longer be shocked to see him back for a potential Game 7.

Simmons talk aside, this is so ridiculous.  If there is anything the modern NBA has taught us, it is that you need 2 high quality scorers to have a shot.  Neither Brown or Tatum need to be shooting 25+ shots per game and can absolutely co-exist on a championship contender.  They are both plus defenders and can be more effective by not being the sole focus of the defense and encouraged to share the ball around. 
i half agree with you but, more and more, the NBA is becoming the story of not what a player can do but what a player will do. it is unfortunate that Tatum has more star quality than Brown and his brand-consciousness calls him to suck the air out of the court when he goes into mode. it calls the hapful Brown to co-iso instead of co-exist with his teammate and the side2side offense that was a hallmark of the Stevens years turned into the wing version of Westbrook/Harden. new coach or not, i cannot but see that syndrome continuing, even deepening. hope i'm wrong or one of em's gone, cuz i'm already down to no-NBA-only-Celts for next year and i'm totes dunwiddit if that dont work out. 

I've got sources (pretty good ones) that say that Giannis is doing everything in his power to play and that he even wanted to play last night already.  Based on what I'm hearing, I'd no longer be shocked to see him back for a potential Game 7.
I believed this was the case and I have no inside sources.  From what I've seen during his career, Giannis is legitimately passionate about playing when he can, getting better and winning.  He is why find I myself rooting for the Bucks against almost everyone but the Celtics.

I thought Lou played well again last night.  Gallinari needs to get more than 22 minutes.  He's killing us this series.  Somehow always ends up with Pat or Jrue guarding him...just horrible matchups for us.  I do have to LOL at him being listed 225 pounds; there's no way he's less than 260-270.

As far as the Bucks are concerned, If Bryn Forbes isn't hitting shots, there's zero reason for him to be on the floor, as he's such a liability defensively.  And if anyone can give me any rationale as to why Bud feels the need to play Jeff Teague in the ECF, I'm all ears.  Honestly, most these guys are 20-something years old.  How they can't play 48 minutes over the course of 2+ hours is beyond me...
Totally agree on Forbes and Teague.

Gallinari is a terrible defender.  Abysmal at this point.  He can’t move.   Over the series, the Hawks are -58 with Gallinari on the floor.

Lou, Gallinari, Huerter and hobbled Bog are all defensive liabilities.  We aren't going to win a game like the 90's Heat or Knicks but with Trae out we also are going to struggle to score 110+.  About our only hope is Trae plays and Giannis sits but even that isn't guaranteed.  Hey - I know nobody will believe me but going to 6 games in ECF is beyond Hawks fans wildest dreams for this season.  Yes, I've allowed myself to consider the possibility we win it all but realistically we are in the 8-12 range in best teams in the league most likely.  Those teams almost never sniff the finals and virtually never win it (has anybody?)

Lou, Gallinari, Huerter and hobbled Bog are all defensive liabilities.  We aren't going to win a game like the 90's Heat or Knicks but with Trae out we also are going to struggle to score 110+.  About our only hope is Trae plays and Giannis sits but even that isn't guaranteed.  Hey - I know nobody will believe me but going to 6 games in ECF is beyond Hawks fans wildest dreams for this season.  Yes, I've allowed myself to consider the possibility we win it all but realistically we are in the 8-12 range in best teams in the league most likely.  Those teams almost never sniff the finals and virtually never win it (has anybody?)
I would have ranked 2019 Raptors down around the #8 range when they won it.

I agree, but Philly may want to see what else is out there for Simmons.
Yeah, i considered that. It's good news for Philly but such a sweet deal to turn down. I'm surprised they could get so much, and if they get more it's gonna be hard not to laugh at whoever provides it. Ftr, huge Brogdon fan here. He'd take so much pressure off Joel, drain threes alongside Seth, allow Tobias not to need to take over the offense at times, and he's a pretty tough defender. Brilliant free throw shooter, and seems like a stand up character and hard worker. 

I believe you

Users who are viewing this thread