Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos


Capella

Recommended Posts

Some interesting tidbits from Woj & Lowe’s special + Givony’s new mock draft:

Simmons trade talks are active and could get “serious” this week, Philly looking for best possible player in return to maximize Embiid’s prime.

Thunder are expected to explore trade-ups to 3 or 4. (I would LOVE to see the Thunder get Mobley, way way way better fit than Cleveland)

Absent Beal being available, GSW will probably make their picks at 7 and 14.

No indication that Kawhi is interested in leaving the Clippers, but he could miss all of next season. 

Lakers are trying to make some moves. Woj: “Almost every team I’ve talked to in the league has been offered some combination of Kuzma and KCP.” :lol: 

Blake Griffin wants to return to Brooklyn, Jeff Green might be headed elsewhere for more money.

Lots of teams seeking a trade-up into the lottery — picks 9 (SAC) 10 (NOP) and 13 (IND) are thought to be the most available. OKC, Memphis, New York, and Houston are the ones most aggressively looking to make that jump.

Execs expect the Hawks to deal a young player like Reddish for draft capital since they won’t be able to pay everyone.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Beal has apparently asked to be traded.  He's a nice 2nd player for some team.  Maybe MIA or DAL.  Or as 3rd option in GSW.  Pretty sure Unseld Jr. asked him to play D and he asked what that was.

Where did you hear this?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Beal has apparently asked to be traded.  He's a nice 2nd player for some team.  Maybe MIA or DAL.  Or as 3rd option in GSW.  Pretty sure Unseld Jr. asked him to play D and he asked what that was.

Westbrook to Lakers and then Beal to Sixers. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

WOJ says Derrick Rose potential landing spot might be back home in Chicago 

And amazing all these years later....

...he's still their best option at PG

I expect Chicago to be a major player in FA. Even if I expect it to be Ball or Bust. I think they could also use Coby White (rookie deal) as a trade chip perhaps in sign and trade. I'd go all in on Lonzo if I'm Chicago. Only question is if Pellies will let him get away

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched an entire first quarter of Olympic basketball and guess how many commercials breaks there were? Such a better product. Luka has 17 at the end of 1 btw. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Just watched an entire first quarter of Olympic basketball and guess how many commercials breaks there were? Such a better product. Luka has 17 at the end of 1 btw. 

Announcers declared him "one of the 2 or 3 best players in the world"

 

Ummm, no.  Have to be a two way player to be top 5.

Edited by TripItUp
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Announcers declared him "one of the 2 or 3 best players in the world"

 

Ummm, no.  Have to be a two way player to be top 5.

I dunno, he’s pretty damn close. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

Announcers declared him "one of the 2 or 3 best players in the world"

 

Ummm, no.  Have to be a two way player to be top 5.

What 5 players do you take over Luka?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

And amazing all these years later....

...he's still their best option at PG

I expect Chicago to be a major player in FA. Even if I expect it to be Ball or Bust. I think they could also use Coby White (rookie deal) as a trade chip perhaps in sign and trade. I'd go all in on Lonzo if I'm Chicago. Only question is if Pellies will let him get away

I really don’t understand what the Pelicans plan is.  They don’t have cap space to sign someone else and Kira Lewis doesn’t seem ready to start. Would they really run back basically the same team minus Ball? 

Logistics are tricky for the Bulls due to Ball’s RFA status. If they sign him to an offer sheet, they have to make multiple decisions to free up the cap space such as renouncing Markkanen and dumping Satoransky. If the Pelicans matched, the Bulls would be screwed. Free agency will have dried up by then and it would be very difficult to improve the team. If they want Ball, they need to be sure what will happen before free agency starts. Gotta have a plan B and C and D…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Deamon said:

What 5 players do you take over Luka?

KD, LeBron, Kawhi, Giannis, Jokic, Embiid.

Harden is probably slightly better as well, but they're are close.  I'd take Luka over Lillard, PG, AD, Tatum or Trae though.

Edited by Jayrod
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

KD, LeBron, Kawhi, Giannis, Jokic, Embiid.

Harden is probably slightly better as well, but they're are close.  I'd take Luka over Lillard, PG, AD, Tatum or Trae though.

Harden? The guy who almost never plays defense and quit on the Rockets last season? 

I am not saying I'd take Luka over LeBron or Giannis right now, but he has narrowed the gap.  Luka is of only two players in the last two seasons (Giannis the other) to be All-NBA 1st team both seasons.  Meanwhile, the great Kevin Durant didn't make All-NBA (1st, 2nd OR 3rd team) either of the least two seasons, yet he is supposedly the best player now according to many, lol. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

KD, LeBron, Kawhi, Giannis, Jokic, Embiid..

For next year? Yes but it’s close, yes, no, of course, no, absolutely not 

 

Long term I’d take Luka over all of them. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Deamon said:

What 5 players do you take over Luka?

Assuming good health, which is not an easy assumption with some of these guys: KD, LeBron, Kawhi, Simmons, Oubre.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Harden? The guy who almost never plays defense and quit on the Rockets last season? 

I am not saying I'd take Luka over LeBron or Giannis right now, but he has narrowed the gap.  Luka is of only two players in the last two seasons (Giannis the other) to be All-NBA 1st team both seasons.  Meanwhile, the great Kevin Durant didn't make All-NBA (1st, 2nd OR 3rd team) either of the least two seasons, yet he is supposedly the best player now according to many, lol. 

KD was 2” away from singlehandedly taking down the eventual champs this year — no other team came that close. He’s absolutely one of the best in the world right now, even if he didn’t make an all-NBA team while rehabbing his achilles last year.

Edited by caustic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

Harden? The guy who almost never plays defense and quit on the Rockets last season? 

I am not saying I'd take Luka over LeBron or Giannis right now, but he has narrowed the gap.  Luka is of only two players in the last two seasons (Giannis the other) to be All-NBA 1st team both seasons.  Meanwhile, the great Kevin Durant didn't make All-NBA (1st, 2nd OR 3rd team) either of the least two seasons, yet he is supposedly the best player now according to many, lol. 

tough to make All-NBA when you aren't playing. he missed 19/20 and played about half of this past season.

i don't think he forgot how to play basketball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

Harden? The guy who almost never plays defense and quit on the Rockets last season? 

I am not saying I'd take Luka over LeBron or Giannis right now, but he has narrowed the gap.  Luka is of only two players in the last two seasons (Giannis the other) to be All-NBA 1st team both seasons.  Meanwhile, the great Kevin Durant didn't make All-NBA (1st, 2nd OR 3rd team) either of the least two seasons, yet he is supposedly the best player now according to many, lol. 

I wonder if that has anything to do with KD missing half of this season and all of the previous season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The question posed wasn't who will be better in the long run, near future or who has had the best NBA seasons the last two years, but who is the best basketball player right now.

Using wikkid's "choosies" style logic, I'd take these guys all over Doncic:

KD - best scorer in the game and a better defender.  Could outrebound him as well if needed.  Only skill where I would give Doncic the advantage is passing/playmaking, but Durant is the most unstoppable 1 vs 1 player in the world so passing the ball usually is a worse play even when he's covered.  As mentioned upthread, he almost beat the Bucks by himself.

LeBron - what Doncic aspires to be offensively but will never be able to be defensively.  Even with the age issues in play, LeBron is still a better player than Doncic right now.

Giannis - totally different games, but Giannis' is possibly the best defender in the world and just scored 50 pts in a championship closeout game.

Jokic - was named MVP for a reason.  His ability to dominate a game offensively surpasses Doncic, it just isn't as flashy.  If you don't believe me, you need to reassess your understanding of the game of basketball.  Jokic is simply better than Doncic right now at generating points per possession.

Kawhi - his offensive game isn't near Doncic, but the gap isn't that big.  His defensive ability is so much greater than Doncic that he gets the edge over Luka.

Embiid - when healthy, no one can guard him.  He is a great defender and rebounder as well.  The best  offensive player on the block in the world.  Give him a competent All-star guard/forward to work with and he would have had a championship THIS year.  Was clearly ahead of Doncic all season in MVP talks.

Harden - 2nd greatest 1 vs. 1 scorer in the world and I personally think his playmaking/passing is at least equal to Doncic and possibly greater and their defensive games are both lacking.  If he hadn't gotten hurt, the Nets win the championship.  I wouldn't die on this hill, but given the choice I'd take Harden over Doncic.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Navin Johnson said:

I wonder if that has anything to do with KD missing half of this season and all of the previous season.

Given this, you’d take a guy that is seemingly always missing time over a younger guy (who is not quite as great when both are heathy) who has been very durable thus far? 
 

Edit: to sum up, Durant is awesome when he plays, but I’d rather have a slightly less great player who always plays over a slightly greater player who may miss a lot of games at any time. A great player does me no good if he’s not on the court playing. 
 

Edited by Ghost Rider
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

I really don’t understand what the Pelicans plan is.  They don’t have cap space to sign someone else and Kira Lewis doesn’t seem ready to start. Would they really run back basically the same team minus Ball? 

Logistics are tricky for the Bulls due to Ball’s RFA status. If they sign him to an offer sheet, they have to make multiple decisions to free up the cap space such as renouncing Markkanen and dumping Satoransky. 

I understand what you're saying. If I'm Pellies, I match on Lonzo. He's going to get a huuuuge offer....but you can also deal him if desired.. I know they've got gut wrenching decisions on Lori and Sato 🤣.  Lori's def gone. Will be depressing if Satos back (not because he's not their best current option at PG) but because they've got to upgrade there.

If Lori and Sato are back....they're screwed anyway.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Given this, you’d take a guy that is seemingly always missing time over a younger guy (who is not quite as great when both are heathy) who has been very durable thus far? 
 

Edit: to sum up, Durant is awesome when he plays, but I’d rather have a slightly less great player who always plays over a slightly greater player who may miss a lot of games at any time. A great player does me no good if he’s not on the court playing. 
 

So you didn't watch the playoffs?  He's not missing games es at anytime he had a torn Achilles. Of course I'd take KD all day every  day

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

I understand what you're saying. If I'm Pellies, I match on Lonzo. He's going to get a huuuuge offer....but you can also deal him if desired.. I know they've got gut wrenching decisions on Lori and Sato 🤣.  Lori's def gone. Will be depressing if Satos back (not because he's not their best current option at PG) but because they've got to upgrade there.

If Lori and Sato are back....they're screwed anyway.

They've absolutely got to take advantage of having Vuc and Lavine signed to reasonable deals...plus Coby (either 6th man or deal)  and Williams on their rookie deals.

Not saying they're in same position as Phoenix but we saw the impact of having a great PG made for them with Paul. The Bulls free agents (plus the partially guaranteed guys) are completely replaceable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Given this, you’d take a guy that is seemingly always missing time over a younger guy (who is not quite as great when both are heathy) who has been very durable thus far? 
 

Edit: to sum up, Durant is awesome when he plays, but I’d rather have a slightly less great player who always plays over a slightly greater player who may miss a lot of games at any time. A great player does me no good if he’s not on the court playing. 
 

"seemingly always missing time"?

he blew an achilles after coming back from an injury way, way, way, way, way too soon in the playoffs.  he had no business being out there at all but chanced it and it cost him.

his missed time is from one injury.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

"seemingly always missing time"?

he blew an achilles after coming back from an injury way, way, way, way, way too soon in the playoffs.  he had no business being out there at all but chanced it and it cost him.

his missed time is from one injury.

He also missed games in his first two years in GS due to two different injuries. Oh, and he missed most of the 2014-2015 season due to another injury. The guy gets hurt too much. That’s all I’m saying. His Achilles injury is not an anomaly. Four different injuries have caused him to miss a significant number of games in five of the last seven seasons. That’s a fact. 
 

Again, he is obviously a great player when he plays. But durability is an issue. To argue it is not flies in the face of the facts of his recent history. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the story on Luka has yet to be told and, just like w Jordan backinaday, wont be until the Mavs find a player who wont stand around watching him work. Harden will be the comp until such time as he can be shown to have a share game w co-stars. to this point, i cant figure out if he goes a Bird way, a Mike way or is shown up as no more than an ISO legend

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Capella said:

For next year? Yes but it’s close, yes, no, of course, no, absolutely not 

 

Long term I’d take Luka over all of them. 

The question was right now.  The olympics announcers declared him a top 2/3 player in the world.  He's not and it's not close.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SWC said:

who are your four after simmons take that to the bank brohan 

Simmons was and never will be top 5 and why don't you just enjoy your title or are you already bored of celebrating 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

The question was right now.  The olympics announcers declared him a top 2/3 player in the world.  He's not and it's not close.

Well for that list you presented I’d say he’s #3. It’s obviously very close. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Simmons was and never will be top 5 and why don't you just enjoy your title or are you already bored of celebrating 

i miss celebrating and ben simmons misses shots take that to the bank brohan 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

The question was right now.  The olympics announcers declared him a top 2/3 player in the world.  He's not and it's not close.

Close as in out of the top 10?  No. 

Close as in compared to the rest of professional basketball?  Very much so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

Close as in out of the top 10?  No. 

Close as in compared to the rest of professional basketball?  Very much so.

Your list is pretty spot on.  His defensive liability is a thing so there may be another handful of players I'd consider over him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TripItUp said:

The question was right now.  The olympics announcers declared him a top 2/3 player in the world.  He's not and it's not close.

He is very close. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, trader jake said:

I keep waiting for a team to give Jevon Carter more playing time.  He should, at minimum, be somebody's backup 1 playing 15-20 minutes a game.  His outside shot is solid and he looks more confident taking it, he continues to improve his AST/TO ratio, and he's a bulldog on defense.  Not sure why the Suns didn't find a way to get him on the court more, but I'd love to have him in Milwaukee.  Or on a rebuilding team where he could get some decent minutes.

looks like you'll be getting your wish now that ya boyee will be Kyrie's caddy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 10:57 AM, trader jake said:

Also interested to see what happens with Kendrick Nunn.  He's made some nice strides as a scorer, but I'm not sold on his ability to create for others.  Solid skillet to mold though for a team that's looking to work with him and see if they can unlock his game and improve his defense.

Above is what I wrote a few weeks ago...sounds like Nunn took a lot less money to sign with the Lakers.  Really nice 2 year singing by LA. Decent PG with some shooting and upside to play with LeBron and Westbrook as the main creators.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...