What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (5 Viewers)

modogg said:
. so if Sixers trade Simmons for Harden there is a significant chance the Sixers will look like Charlotte or the Knicks in 2-3 years for like a 3-4 year span
Or...you know...like the Sixers did for five straight seasons.

As a Celtics fan, I'm super glad that Harden didn't go to the Sixers for Simmons.

Simmons is such a hole on offense he is easy to scheme around defensively.  Harden is one of the most difficult scorers to control in the entire NBA (really in the history of the NBA).

Any argument to the contrary is laughable and reveals a serious lack of basketball understanding.
The NBA thread is starting off as good as always!!! I'm sure one of the top- coaches in the league in Doc Rivers agrees whole-heartedly with this, and Morey will look to move Ben like they did Amir Johnson. We all know a guy on a fantasy football website knows basketball way more then an experienced NBA head coach and front office. 

Let me guess, you are going to suggest Peyton Praxton or Romeo Langford are better offensive weapons than Ben?

on another note, @caustic what is the deal with Kyrie's burning Sage before games now? Team buying in, or a messy distraction? I see no issue at all with it, just a little weird, but seems that some people are getting all bent out of shape about it. They won by what 32 points yesterday over the Cus Crise, so maybe it works?

The NBA thread is starting off as good as always!!! I'm sure one of the top- coaches in the league in Doc Rivers agrees whole-heartedly with this, and Morey will look to move Ben like they did Amir Johnson. We all know a guy on a fantasy football website knows basketball way more then an experienced NBA head coach and front office. 

Let me guess, you are going to suggest Peyton Praxton or Romeo Langford are better offensive weapons than Ben?
There is nobody in the nba who thinks Ben Simmons is anywhere near James Harden. Philly is trying to create leverage and wait Houston out. They know Harden has demanded a trade.  

Just good to remind everyone that 2 seasons ago the 6ers were 4 bounces away from a likely finals appearance against a beat-up Warriors team. Some credit goes to Butler for sure, but there were multiple indications in those games that this team can be dominant. 
They were 4 bounces away from going to overtime against a team that was better than them. And now they don’t have Jimmy Butler.

There is nobody in the nba who thinks Ben Simmons is anywhere near James Harden. Philly is trying to create leverage and wait Houston out. They know Harden has demanded a trade.  

well definitely, Harden is a better offensive weapon then Ben. However, if the Sixers can somehow swing a trade for Harden and not give up Ben, my guess is both of their offensive numbers will improve (though i don't know how much higher Haren's can go).

My issue with Harden coming to an already established team, is who he is taking shots away from. Do we really think Kyrie and KD want to cede 20-30 shots a night to Harden? maybe they do, but it is a gamble. 

My thoughts on a Ben for Harden trade is that it seems pretty even for both. But for the sixers it is a gamble that i don't think they need to make at this point. It seems all the pressure is on Houston, Sixers are in no need to rush a move for Harden. Where it would hurt the Sixers though is that it would shrink the widow to 2 years and may leave the Sixers in a poor situation after. Thankfully we aren't left dealing with Colangelo anymore, and i have faith that Morey will have us in a good situation either way. 

Outside of the Sixers universe, i am really intrigued to see J Morant this year and the Girzzlies, they can be an exciting one. Also would love to see what Sam Presti does over the next 2 years in OKC. it is one thing to acquire all of those assets, it is another to utilize them. i think Presti won't make that mistake

They were 4 bounces away from going to overtime against a team that was better than them. And now they don’t have Jimmy Butler.
ehh maybe, it is what it is. 

What i would love to see is Fertitta try to play hard ball with trading Harden, and Harden pull a Butler in Houston

on another note, @caustic what is the deal with Kyrie's burning Sage before games now? Team buying in, or a messy distraction? I see no issue at all with it, just a little weird, but seems that some people are getting all bent out of shape about it. They won by what 32 points yesterday over the Cus Crise, so maybe it works?
Will have to revisit this when they start losing, but for now everyone’s happy to let Kyrie do his thing. In the spring when he’s shooting 7/23 from the field and the offense is in a rut, that’s when I expect the sage burning and stuff to start rubbing people the wrong way.

But for now, the offense is looking pretty great, so things are peachy.  :towelwave:

That Gobert contract....ooof.  
I don't love it--but I understand why they did it.  Utah is not likely to land a a top 5-10 player in the league.  The pair of Gobert and Mitchell are good enough to keep them competitive in a really good Western Conference.   If they didn't sign Gobert and he ended up leaving--there is a very high likelihood that the franchise takes a step back in quality and competitiveness for several years.  

i'm so starved to watch the Stevens system with an actual post defender that i was the one person excited that Gobert's present salary fit under the trade exception the Cs just acquired.  :kicksrock:

I know reading comprehension is hard, but you could at least put in a half-assed (aka "Embiid-like") effort.

Jayrod said:
I know reading comprehension is hard, but you could at least put in a half-assed (aka "Embiid-like") effort.
or at least a Brett Brown confused chase of the obvious. still waiting for his Woodenesque post-coaching wisdom tome, featuring an inverted pyramid of success. "WATCH OUT!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Jayrod said:
you sound like you are not feeling well and maybe taking things a little too personal. Maybe try some meditation or some deep breaths? Season has even started yet, so just 2 cents

you sound like you are not feeling well and maybe taking things a little too personal. Maybe try some meditation or some deep breaths? Season has even started yet, so just 2 cents
Feeling fine.  Looking forward to the Celtics getting a high seed in the East and making another nice deep playoff run while the 76ers have a difficult season with only a slightly better coach and Simmons still not getting better and Embiid missing chunks of the season with various injuries.

Life is good in my world.  :thumbup:

Responses like this are pathetic. Always seems to come from the same group.
yikes and wow! Maybe we should change topics.........

Let's start with pre-season predictions. Will try West after others try, but here is top 8 seeds for the East:

1. Nets - surprising upset since most will put Mil in 1st seed, but i would think Nets are better rested for this sped up season, and i think Nets look to be a dominant force through the season (as long as Kyrie's sage works0

2. Milwaukee - great regular season team, can't see them falling out of top 3 seed. only way is if Giannis gets injured and is out for considerable amount of time. 

3. 76'ers - can be called a homer take, but i just think they will be a solid team and have a solid showing. will depend on Doc if he can keep them focused every game each season, but the bench is considerably better and the team as a whole is as well. 

4. Toronto Raptors - really no idea why i have them here. Think seeds 3-6 will be with-in a few games of each other and is interchangeable

5. Miami Heat - have to think they will be worn down from the expedited off-season, but will still have them winning plenty of games and be tough in the playoffs

6. Boston C's - i think the lack of bench depth, partiularly with the wings will hurt them more then people are considering. Have to think Kemba won't rush back, so going 2-3 months without him will have the C's struggle a bit. Also am not seeing how Tristan can be such a big upgrade at their center position, I think Theis will be better then him. 

7. Atlanta Hawks - all of the off-season pieces will pay off. 

8 Charlotte Hornets - Have to think they push hard for this playoff spot.

others close would be Orlando and Washington. Just wonder what exactly we see in Russ this year

ETA:

completely forgot about Indiana. I can see them finish as high as 3, so really the only 2 i like are my 1 and 2

The East is tougher this year.

-Durant, Irving, Dinwiddie, Lavert, Allen and Harris are a Championship contender for the Nets.

-The Bucks improved by moving from Bledsoe to Holiday.

-The Heat bring the whole band back after their Finals run.

-The 76ers have a better coach.

-Oladipo should finally be healthy and the Pacers bring everybody else back.

I think the Raptors take a step back after losing Gasol and Ibaka.  I think the Celtics break even losing Hayward but adding Thompson, but will lose ground on the teams above.

Here's my playoff seeds prediction:

1. Bucks - Giannis is unstoppable in the regular season and Holiday is an upgrade.

2. Nets - Durant is a top 3 player on a mission and they were decent without him.

3. Heat - last year was no fluke and they are well coached.

4. Celtics - talented and well coached enough to land here.

5. 76ers - talented enough, but there will be lapses and Rivers is a good/not great coach.

6. Raptors - Gasol and Ibaka's defense will be missed, but their guards and Siakim are strong and Nurse is a great coach.

7. Indiana - they are scrappy and will give anyone fits above them on random nights, but seem too disjointed after last year to climb higher.

8. Washington - Beal is a star and Russ will elevate their regular season play enough to get this last spot.

Playoffs go:

Bucks in 4, Celtics in 7, Nets in 5, Heat in 6

Then:

Bucks in 6, Nets in 7

Then:

Bucks in 6.

So Zach Lowe is behind ESPN’s paywall now?  That sucks. 
everything is, far as i can see. between that and them pulling the position eligibility for Taysom Hill @ TE after my socking him away most of the year to take advantage, my mouse zapped the mouse off my bookmarks. and it took me half a day to find a way to get a complaint in.

i like anteaternintendo but conversely i do not like poop beard there i said it take that to the bank bromigos 

yikes and wow! Maybe we should change topics.........

Let's start with pre-season predictions. Will try West after others try, but here is top 8 seeds for the East:

1. Nets - surprising upset since most will put Mil in 1st seed, but i would think Nets are better rested for this sped up season, and i think Nets look to be a dominant force through the season (as long as Kyrie's sage works0

2. Milwaukee - great regular season team, can't see them falling out of top 3 seed. only way is if Giannis gets injured and is out for considerable amount of time. 

3. 76'ers - can be called a homer take, but i just think they will be a solid team and have a solid showing. will depend on Doc if he can keep them focused every game each season, but the bench is considerably better and the team as a whole is as well. 

4. Toronto Raptors - really no idea why i have them here. Think seeds 3-6 will be with-in a few games of each other and is interchangeable

5. Miami Heat - have to think they will be worn down from the expedited off-season, but will still have them winning plenty of games and be tough in the playoffs

6. Boston C's - i think the lack of bench depth, partiularly with the wings will hurt them more then people are considering. Have to think Kemba won't rush back, so going 2-3 months without him will have the C's struggle a bit. Also am not seeing how Tristan can be such a big upgrade at their center position, I think Theis will be better then him. 

7. Atlanta Hawks - all of the off-season pieces will pay off. 

8 Charlotte Hornets - Have to think they push hard for this playoff spot.

others close would be Orlando and Washington. Just wonder what exactly we see in Russ this year

ETA:

completely forgot about Indiana. I can see them finish as high as 3, so really the only 2 i like are my 1 and 2
1 bucks
2 nets
3 sixers
4 heat
5 celtics
6 raptors
7 hawks
8 wizards

1. Bucks - Depth has been reduced, but probably still strong enough to roll through the regular season and get the 1 seed (Lowest possible seed: 3)

2. Heat - Cohesion and not losing anyone and likelihood that they now make some more deals in-season with Giannis off the table (Highest: 1 / Lowest 4)

3. Nets - Some implosion potential but obviously will have a great offense.  Kyrie/Durant injury risks probably the biggest downfall (Highest: 1 / Lowest 6)

4. Celtics - Still buy into Stevens and Brown/Tatum development, but Kemba's nagging injury has me a bit concerned (Highest: 2 / Lowest 6)

5. Sixers - Like a lot of their moves but the Sixers will always Sixer and things will be weird and they will lose games they shouldn't (Highest: 3 / Lowest 7)

6. Raptors - Love Nick Nurse, just hard to see them getting that much above this with the loss off talent and infusion at the top (Highest: 4 / Lowest 7)

7. Pacers - Kind of an underrated group that came back and intrigued to see what Nate Bjorkgren can unlock, but VO injury concerns and potential for just trying a bunch of new things (Highest: 4 / Lowest 9)

8. Hawks - You have to think that the pieces they added will get them to the top 8.  Still a lot of questions about Pierce and how he can put it all together (Highest : 6 / Lowest 9)

9. Wizards - Really good offense, should win enough games 140-135 to get into the play-in (Highest: 7 / Lowest 11)

10. Magic - They are a decent team, but just no real upside, so median outcome seems around here (Highest:8 / Lowest 11)

11. Bulls - Potential to get into the tourney for sure, but with the new regime and sorting out of rotations, think they will be on the outside looking in (Highest: 9 / Lowest 12)

12. Pistons - If Blake and Rose can hold up decently, there is an outside chance they get into the tourney, but in most scenarios, they will crash (Highest: 9 / Lowest 15)

13. Hornets - Growing pains for Lamelo and overall lack of talent make it hard for me to push them up any higher (Highest: 11 / Lowest 14)

14. Knicks - Total trainwreck with the way their roster is built, maybe Thibs gets them to play hard for half the season (Highest: 12 / Lowest 15)

15. Cavs - Team is really still nowhere  and I don't really know what they can do to be any better this year. (Highest: 13 / Lowest 15)

Here's a stab at the west.  This was much harder because I would say that 3-9 all have a ton of volatility, though I ultimately made my best attempt at the median outcome:

1. Lakers - Added depth should help them in regular season (Lowest: 2)

2. Clippers - Still have the pieces for a very strong team with huge upside (Highest: 1 / Lowest: 4)

3. Nuggets - Murray and Jokic are a great pair and MPJ for a full season could really carry them (Highest: 1 / Lowest: 4)

4. Mavericks - KP injury concerns are what put them down here, but probably do have the upside of a 1 seed (Highest: 1 / Lowest: 5)

5. Jazz - Tough to separate the next group, but I will trust that the Jazz will have yet another strong regular season (Highest: 3 / Lowest: 7)

6. Trail Blazers - Really liked the offseason and they could jump up if Dame stays at his same level (Highest: 3 / Lowest: 7)

7. Suns - Obviously made a key acquisition and should be firmly in the playoff mix (Highest: 5 / Lowest: 😎

8. Warriors - Have a lot of upside, but might try to play Wiseman a lot and unsure exactly what to expect from Draymond (Highest: 4 / Lowest: 10)

9. Rockets - So much implosion potential, but if Harden is there all season, hard to see them not in the playoff mix (Highest: 6 / Lowest: 13)

10. Grizzlies - I would feel a lot better about them without the Jackson injury, but they have nice pieces and hopefully Ja takes a jump (Highest: 8 / Lowest; 12)

11. Pelicans - A lot of talent, but many, many questions and with a new coach, I'm just not sure about it this year (Highest: 8 / Lowest: 12)

12. Spurs - Hard to bet against Pop and they will compete like crazy, just not sure that they have the talent to be in the playoff mix (Highest: 10 / Lowest: 13)

13. Kings - Still going to take some time to figure this all out with a new GM and the conference is just so competitive (Highest: 10 / Lowest: 14)

14. Wolves - See a lot of growing pains with Edwards and generally not sure about Saunders as a coach (Highest:11 / Lowest: 15)

15. Thunder - Clearly trying to re-build (Highest: 13 / Lowest: 15)

Love that deal for Isaac if he's able to bounce back from what'll be almost 2 years off.

Fultz made a ton of improvement in ORL. Another step he's gonna have to take it showing he can play off the ball too. Cole Anthony also looked solid this preseason.

Bulls don't reach agreement on Lauri Markkanen. Can't blame the Bulls here. He's got to show improvement. He was bad on both ends last year. He'll likely always be terrible defensively. 

Bulls have some decent pieces but leave a lot to be desired (for me) as a team. Lauri and Carter have to improve for them to make any improvement as a team. Carter can't continue to play with Marquese Chriss level stupidity on the floor.

Is there a good updated list of 2021 free agents? There was talk about it being a great class but now it seems to have really dried up.

Users who are viewing this thread