What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (5 Viewers)

Shams: The Pelicans are trading Jrue Holiday to Milwaukee. Bucks are sending Eric Bledsoe, George Hill, two future pick swaps, and three first round picks to New Orleans.
Wow - is he that good?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I read the firsts can't convey until 2024 at the earliest. They owe their 2022 first to Cleveland. Still, that's helluva lot for Jrue.

No chance they do the deal unless Giannis has told them he's resigning. 

It’s a lot, but bucks need to show giannis they are serious.  If it works, those frosts won’t matter.  Jrue is a significant upgrade  as the bucks third banana

It's official, per Woj. The Bucks are receiving Bogdan Bogdonovic and sending Donte Divincenzo, Ersan Ilyasova, and DJ Wilson to the Kings. 
Good for the Bucks. BB is going to have some big playoff moments for them, I bet. Perfect fit.  The Kings are apparently going to head into tank mode this year, which is surely the right play in a conference where even the Suns are suddenly loaded and there is a projected star studded draft next year. But it sucks that Sacramento is staring at year 15 or whatever of terrible basketball. 

Shams: The Pelicans are trading Jrue Holiday to Milwaukee. Bucks are sending Eric Bledsoe, George Hill, two future pick swaps, and three first round picks to New Orleans.
Bucks fan here...

It's Woj Official now: the Bucks are receiving Bogdan Bogdonovic and Justin James while sending Donte Divincenzo, Ersan Ilyasova, and DJ Wilson to the Kings. 
Is this what it's like to be a Yankees fan each offseason?

Good for the Bucks. BB is going to have some big playoff moments for them, I bet. Perfect fit.  The Kings are apparently going to head into tank mode this year, which is surely the right play in a conference where even the Suns are suddenly loaded and there is a projected star studded draft next year. But it sucks that Sacramento is staring at year 15 or whatever of terrible basketball. 
Passing on Luka was quite the blunder.  He would have changed everything. I usually don’t like to look back on draft decisions like that but I remember you wanting Luka and that seemed to be the consensus pick at the time.

From what I read the firsts can't convey until 2024 at the earliest. They owe their 2022 first to Cleveland. Still, that's helluva lot for Jrue.

No chance they do the deal unless Giannis has told them he's resigning. 
The other scenario is they are doing it to give Giannis a reason to re-sign...like LeBron with the Cavs Giannis holds all the cards and they will make non-stop win now moves to keep him happy...if he stays it is worth it but if not the franchise will be a disaster...just another example of how the legit stars run the show in the NBA.

The other scenario is they are doing it to give Giannis a reason to re-sign...like LeBron with the Cavs Giannis holds all the cards and they will make non-stop win now moves to keep him happy...if he stays it is worth it but if not the franchise will be a disaster...just another example of how the legit stars run the show in the NBA.
There's no "if."

He blessed these moves. He's signing.

Wow that seems like a lot for Holiday and even Covington. 
Not a lot for Holiday if you think of it like they're also trading for Giannis. Obviously there are exceptions, but what are the odds of getting real difference-makers in the (hopefully) late first anyway?

Not a lot for Holiday if you think of it like they're also trading for Giannis. Obviously there are exceptions, but what are the odds of getting real difference-makers in the (hopefully) late first anyway?
I agree, but there’s still a lot of risk sending out that type of draft capital even when you think it won’t be valuable. As the most recent example, Houston has two firsts and two more swaps owed over the next few years, which looked like surefire late firsts, but now might be prime draft capital if Harden forces his way out. 

I agree, but there’s still a lot of risk sending out that type of draft capital even when you think it won’t be valuable. As the most recent example, Houston has two firsts and two more swaps owed over the next few years, which looked like surefire late firsts, but now might be prime draft capital if Harden forces his way out. 
Agreed 100%.  But I absolutely LOVE that they're taking the risk, going all-in with Giannis, and trying for GREAT instead of just settling for being consistently very good.

i think that it was pretty clear at the time that those firsts had a decent chance of being very valuable.

This is basically similar to what the Rockets and Clippers did to try to maximize the win-now window.  It definitely poses a lot of downside risk, but in some sense, if you're not willing to go all out when you have a top 5 player, what is your franchise's real purpose?  Maybe for some it is worth minimizing downside risk, but others are trying to maximize upside risk.

doesn't Jrue Holiday do a podcast with Richard Jefferson or something?

or was it one of the other million Holiday brothers? 

am i making this up?

i think that it was pretty clear at the time that those firsts had a decent chance of being very valuable.

This is basically similar to what the Rockets and Clippers did to try to maximize the win-now window.  It definitely poses a lot of downside risk, but in some sense, if you're not willing to go all out when you have a top 5 player, what is your franchise's real purpose?  Maybe for some it is worth minimizing downside risk, but others are trying to maximize upside risk.
I didn’t say I wouldn’t have done the same thing, just that there’s a higher chance that those picks will be valuable than some people expect. 

That seems like a lot.
Disagree.  Strong move and one they had to make for multiple reasons.  Bledsoe was a playoff disaster and getting a two way player the caliber of Holiday and moving off Bledsoe's contract is a fantastic move.  He might not be a "big name" but he's a fantastic two way player and if the trade would have been the same but it was Westbrook instead of Holiday I'd be shaking my head today.  As someone else mentioned you almost have to include Giannis on the list of returns for the Bucks in the trade.  They shot their shot and we'll see how it plays out.

Sixers going to end up with Patty Mills as their BIG move.  Ugh.  Lucky if they get Hield and off-load Horford somehow -- but I feel like Hield will be frustrated in Philly and hurt the locker room.  Should swing for the fences on Harden, because if he goes to Brooklyn, the Process is over.

waitin' to hear what @SWC has to say on it, but i think the Bucks' moves are beautiful and will keep em their Jabbar this time. if they are able to compete w the marquee teams at signing depth & can stay sound, i dont think there's anyone who can stay with em. these days, you're as good as the largest hole in your lineup, but that starting five is indefensible. now they got the stud of studness in anteaternintendo and the other four will all know what to do around him or without him. dare i say it? titletown.

Jrue will probably opt out at the end of the season and want his last high dollar multiyear contract stretching into his mid 30s.

Sixers going to end up with Patty Mills as their BIG move.  Ugh.  Lucky if they get Hield and off-load Horford somehow -- but I feel like Hield will be frustrated in Philly and hurt the locker room.  Should swing for the fences on Harden, because if he goes to Brooklyn, the Process is over.
Hell, I think that'd be a HUGE win for them in Free Agency given their current situation. 

Sixers are an FN mess. There's no way getting around it. They've got 2 Centers and 2 PF in an increasingly guard driven shooters league taking up their entire cap.

Moving off Simmons is an absolute no brainer to fix the disaster. Then again we're talking Elton Brand who ACTUALLY thought this roster construction would work. Simmons is going to bring the greatest return by far and won't hamstring others on team with his complete inability to shoot. Houston seem(ed) like ideal fit (where he'd be surrounded by shooters) but I'm wondering their direction with that Covington deal. Possible they're just looking to get back some draft capital in dealing Covington and essentially also getting a 1st to take on Ariza's deal.

both Rockets and Sixers are nutz not to go Simmons for Harden. Embiid will look good with a Beard and Simmons can become the first point-center with Russ & all them catch&shooters

Hell, I think that'd be a HUGE win for them in Free Agency given their current situation. 

Sixers are an FN mess. There's no way getting around it. They've got 2 Centers and 2 PF in an increasingly guard driven shooters league taking up their entire cap.

Moving off Simmons is an absolute no brainer to fix the disaster. Then again we're talking Elton Brand who ACTUALLY thought this roster construction would work. Simmons is going to bring the greatest return by far and won't hamstring others on team with his complete inability to shoot. Houston seem(ed) like ideal fit (where he'd be surrounded by shooters) but I'm wondering their direction with that Covington deal. Possible they're just looking to get back some draft capital in dealing Covington and essentially also getting a 1st to take on Ariza's deal.

both Rockets and Sixers are nutz not to go Simmons for Harden. Embiid will look good with a Beard and Simmons can become the first point-center with Russ & all them catch&shooters
Agree.  Harden-Embiid-Harris would be formidable from pick-and-roll and catch and shoots.  Get a 3-D guy at SF (Thybulle or as a trade throw-in?) and a real PG (Mills) and they have a real shot.  I think Simmons is a stud, but he is the piece to move. 

Agree.  Harden-Embiid-Harris would be formidable from pick-and-roll and catch and shoots.  Get a 3-D guy at SF (Thybulle or as a trade throw-in?) and a real PG (Mills) and they have a real shot.  I think Simmons is a stud, but he is the piece to move. 
Hayward-Horford. might take a lil sauce, but i think Traitor Danny might do it

2027 unprotected 1st. Wow.

Obviously, if it keeps Giannis happy, it's worth it. Just going to be unpleasant when the bill comes due. 

Disagree.  Strong move and one they had to make for multiple reasons.  Bledsoe was a playoff disaster and getting a two way player the caliber of Holiday and moving off Bledsoe's contract is a fantastic move.  He might not be a "big name" but he's a fantastic two way player and if the trade would have been the same but it was Westbrook instead of Holiday I'd be shaking my head today.  As someone else mentioned you almost have to include Giannis on the list of returns for the Bucks in the trade.  They shot their shot and we'll see how it plays out.
Do you think Giannis is going to be there in 2027?!  He could be, but what if he leaves and the team sucks and is giving up top 3 picks down the road?  I get calling your shot and going for it, but if they don't win a championship in the next couple years this is really going to catch up to them down the road if they're giving up premium picks.

Do you think Giannis is going to be there in 2027?!  He could be, but what if he leaves and the team sucks and is giving up top 3 picks down the road?  I get calling your shot and going for it, but if they don't win a championship in the next couple years this is really going to catch up to them down the road if they're giving up premium picks.
Let's say you don't make the trade.  Now what?

So if Harden accepted that 2 year $103M extension, would that have increased or decreased his trade value?  Maybe he did the Rockets a favor by declining that offer. 

Quiet day . . . .

How about:

Rockets Get:

Simmons

Horford

Zhaire Smith

Mike Scott

#21 + other draft capital

Sixers Get:

Harden

Gordon
Like the Sixers side a lot more personally. It'd be depend on exactly how much draft compensation given what we just saw Jrue go for.

I can't see Houston taking on Horford TBH. Maybe a 3rd team jumps in? He's got 3 years left on astronomical deal, mid 30s, declining play. I think all those factors, there's already a very limited market for him. Even the 3rd year left has $14 mil+ guaranteed. Gimme Gordon all day everyday over Horford. Gordon's contract pales in comparison (less money/more useful as shooter/3rd year will wind up non-guaranteed)

Ariza I can understand. 1 year left.....a lot less salary. And they essentially got a 1st to take it on. (Portland could have easily cut Ariza as only $1.5 mil was guaranteed this season)

EDIT: I just look at the big guys available on the market of comparable/better talent at this point to Horford.....and will be got a fraction of the cost. One example: Charlotte. Obviously desperate for anything in the middle. But not a contender. You have Nick Batum who no one has wanted. And I'm not even sure I'd do that if Charlotte given not a contender anytime soon.....and that contract.  Given Batum comes off after this year. Yeah I could see them going for "quick fix" with Horford....if they get Westbrook. Just think it'd be another of a long list of mistakes. 

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA

Gordon Hayward and the Celtics are working to extend the deadline on Hayward to decide on his $34.2 million player option for the 2020-21 season from today at 5 p.m. to Thursday afternoon, league sources tell ESPN.

I assume this means that something is in the works.  But what?

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA

Gordon Hayward and the Celtics are working to extend the deadline on Hayward to decide on his $34.2 million player option for the 2020-21 season from today at 5 p.m. to Thursday afternoon, league sources tell ESPN.

I assume this means that something is in the works.  But what?
Speculation on the radio is a sign and trade...Indiana appears to be the guess but nothing definitive.

Speculation on the radio is a sign and trade...Indiana appears to be the guess but nothing definitive.
i been back in New England 8 yrs now and i'm still waiting for all the ambient chowdahheads of sportstalk & sportschannel media (as opposed to the few actual beat reporters in the area) to get their first thing right

Users who are viewing this thread