What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (3 Viewers)

mr. furley said:
too lazy to find the thread...... on Simmons latest podcast, while discussing All-NBA, said it wasn't possible to classify Luka as a guard & that he could reasonably make all-NBA in one of the forward slots.

i...... what?
why? what's the point?

indiana up 9 on the wiz going into the 4th. they finish this and chicago has hope. which is interesting cuz they look solid with vuc and zach back with theis. of all the potential 8 seeds, they would give philly the best series. 

why? what's the point?
oh, i don't even think that the All-NBA team should be based on positions, just the 15 best guys.

but he was arguing that Luka isn't a guard.... i'd have to hear a much more convincing argument than Simmons's that he's a forward because he's tall.

What’s up with the Nets? Are they this bad without Harden? I mean they still have KD and Kyrie. They are making Porter look like the younger KD.

The NBA is sooo boring these past few seasons-- idk what it is, but it's unwatchable. Maybe it's the constant 140-135pt games. Trading 3's back and forth just doesn't hit the spot. 

And now play in games? Why is it getting so gimmicky? 

Legitimately can't remember the last time I watched an entire NBA game start to finish and I consider myself a pretty big basketball fan. Just doesn't hit the same like it used to.

mr. furley said:
too lazy to find the thread...... on Simmons latest podcast, while discussing All-NBA, said it wasn't possible to classify Luka as a guard & that he could reasonably make all-NBA in one of the forward slots.

i...... what?
Not sure if it matters but he's listed as a guard on basketball reference

Love the play in tournament. It is a way for the NBA to reward the best teams. 

1st - 4th seed. You guys are really good. Here is a week off and home court in the first round. 

5th and 6th. You guys are pretty good. Here is a week off before the playoffs start. 

7th and 8th. You guys are alright. You win 1 game and you are in the playoffs. 

9th and 10th. You guys were really close. Win 2 games against teams right around you and you are in. 

Wish they would figure out something thid clever for the bad teams and draft picks. 

GUESS WHAT I AM DOING TODAY??????

Going to see the Knicks @ Clippers in staples -- wooot wooot, been so long. then...

heading for malibu seafood and some time on the beach... woohooo.... then...

back to staples for

Suns @ Lakers.... yeah yeah, haha, always wanted to do this, so jacked. Gotta bump!
wow, that will be a fun day 

Going to see the Knicks @ Clippers in staples -- wooot wooot, been so long. then...

back to staples for

Suns @ Lakers.... yeah yeah, haha, always wanted to do this, so jacked. Gotta bump!
Dude that will be amazing!

Heat with 80 points at the HALF... wtf.
Game is a great demonstration of how broken the NBA can be. Heat up 26-27 at half. First 5 minutes of the 3rd Q they give Celtics in the bonus for 7-8 minutes of the entire quarter, which completely throws off heat. 

fouls in 4th are funny too, spoelstra looked like his head was going to literally explode when refs overturned that foul 

Last edited by a moderator:

back to staples for

Thanks for cheering on the Knicks. They’re going to be someone’s major headache in the playoffs. Just wait. 

Knicks with an impressive win on the road against the clippers.     Randle hitting daggers at the end.   Rose having a beautiful game.   I don't get to watch a lot of their games, but the team defense is very good.
Knicks were great tonight. Back to solid defense and hustle. Even with Randle having a crap game, Rose stepped up big and Randle iced it at the end. This team could be a real sleeper in the playoffs. 

Coming for the Lakers next. 

Anyone else think the lack of courtside seats in the bubble/this season is contributing to the ridiculous scoring efficiency around the league? Certainly like the games more without having random people so close to the court.

Rose stepped up big and Randle iced it at the end.
I've bagged on the guy as much as anyone over the years but I can't think of many that have completely turned it around like he has mid-career. 

Guy was out of the league and staring overseas in the face (if he wanted to continue playing ball) just a few years ago. W/o Thibs in Minnesota at the time, he'd have no question been out of the league before he hit 30.

The NBA is sooo boring these past few seasons-- idk what it is, but it's unwatchable. Maybe it's the constant 140-135pt games. Trading 3's back and forth just doesn't hit the spot. 

And now play in games? Why is it getting so gimmicky? 

Legitimately can't remember the last time I watched an entire NBA game start to finish and I consider myself a pretty big basketball fan. Just doesn't hit the same like it used to.
I think they need to:

1. revise the rules around fouls.  Used to be bumps and slaps on the arms weren't called.  Now the offense is basically causing the foul, and it slows the game down.  It's fine it they want to call breathing on a shooter a foul, but if so they need to move the bonus WAY back.  Like 1 and 1 at 10 fouls.  2 shots at 15 fouls.  They can't continue having 1 and 1s just 4-5 minutes into a quarter.  I know they've make some adjustments.  But they need more.  Maybe even allow 7 fouls per player to keep the bigs more involved

2. In the same vain, they need to get rid of continuation.  Taking a bump, then taking two steps and throwing a ball up should be ball out on the side.  Too many free throws from ticky tack perimeter fouls.

3. The timeouts need to be reduced by a lot.  There are plenty of TV timeouts.  Seems like coaches should only get 2 per half.  These guys need to play through bad spells without coaches calling a TO just to change momentum.

What they do now adds up to longer games, slow pace for fans, emotional buzzkills, and too many free throws inflating the game scores.  Seems fairly easy to fix.

i dont know what your reference point in time is but just for arguments sake lets pick 1960 i am picking that year because in recorded stats that i can find it is just about at the top in scoring per game which would make it the fastest tempo so here we go in 1960 the nba league average per team was 118 points per game and each team averaged 109 field goals attempted with just under 38 free throws per game per team and just about 27 personal fouls called per team per game versus this year the league is averaging about 112 points per game with each each team averaging 88 field goals attempted with just about 22 free throws per game and about 19 personal fouls called per team per game so basically even when they let guys quote bump and slap eachother they called a lot more fouls and shot a lot more free throws so i dont think the way they are calling the games is responsible for slower games the stats just dont bear it out in fact scoring right now is better than it was basically any time since the 1980s what i cannot find is a state for possessions per 48 that goes all the way back to the 60s but i know teams are basically about 10 to 12 possessions more now than they were around 2000 so i think the game is actually faster now than it was even 20 years ago again that doesnt jive with the way the game is being called slowing the game down i dont know just some stathead junk for a monday afternoon take that to the bank brohans      

Thanks for cheering on the Knicks. They’re going to be someone’s major headache in the playoffs. Just wait. 
Headache?  Meaning they could, maybe, win a 1st round 4/5 series in the East?  Then sure.  IF the Knicks beat the Hawks in round 1 we'll see how much of a headache they are.  ICE!!!

just some stathead junk for a monday afternoon take that to the bank brohans      
It's the replay reviews and last three minutes that are an insulting mess of non-sense.  I'd prefer to get rid of replay review entirely.  Then the coaches hoard their final two timeouts for under 2 minutes and feel the need to use a third just before the 2 minute mark because they don't want to lose it. 

If NBA games were just the final 2-5 minutes, nobody would watch.  It sucks...and it should be the best part of a game. Elam ending 100% for this NBA fan.  The sooner the better.

Also, please call up Kirk Goldsberry and implement a ton of his ideas from "Sprawlball".  The current offensive explosion/increasing 3's each season seems great now, but it won't be soon enough if the NBA isn't proactive with the on-court product.

I think they need to:

1. revise the rules around fouls.  Used to be bumps and slaps on the arms weren't called.  Now the offense is basically causing the foul, and it slows the game down.  It's fine it they want to call breathing on a shooter a foul, but if so they need to move the bonus WAY back.  Like 1 and 1 at 10 fouls.  2 shots at 15 fouls.  They can't continue having 1 and 1s just 4-5 minutes into a quarter.  I know they've make some adjustments.  But they need more.  Maybe even allow 7 fouls per player to keep the bigs more involved

2. In the same vain, they need to get rid of continuation.  Taking a bump, then taking two steps and throwing a ball up should be ball out on the side.  Too many free throws from ticky tack perimeter fouls.

3. The timeouts need to be reduced by a lot.  There are plenty of TV timeouts.  Seems like coaches should only get 2 per half.  These guys need to play through bad spells without coaches calling a TO just to change momentum.

What they do now adds up to longer games, slow pace for fans, emotional buzzkills, and too many free throws inflating the game scores.  Seems fairly easy to fix.
I think fouls and free throws are at about all time lows. The unnatural shooting motions getting fouls needs to be addressed, but otherwise, I think the refs are better than ever (low bar to be sure) and making a more free flowing game. There are definitely some things the NBA could do on the margins, but generally, I think they legislated a better NBA over the last 25 years.

i dont know what your reference point in time is but just for arguments sake lets pick 1960 i am picking that year because in recorded stats that i can find it is just about at the top in scoring per game which would make it the fastest tempo so here we go in 1960 the nba league average per team was 118 points per game and each team averaged 109 field goals attempted with just under 38 free throws per game per team and just about 27 personal fouls called per team per game versus this year the league is averaging about 112 points per game with each each team averaging 88 field goals attempted with just about 22 free throws per game and about 19 personal fouls called per team per game so basically even when they let guys quote bump and slap eachother they called a lot more fouls and shot a lot more free throws so i dont think the way they are calling the games is responsible for slower games the stats just dont bear it out in fact scoring right now is better than it was basically any time since the 1980s what i cannot find is a state for possessions per 48 that goes all the way back to the 60s but i know teams are basically about 10 to 12 possessions more now than they were around 2000 so i think the game is actually faster now than it was even 20 years ago again that doesnt jive with the way the game is being called slowing the game down i dont know just some stathead junk for a monday afternoon take that to the bank brohans      
That might be the first ever mic drop in the bank. 

Jaylen Brown out for year. There goes any small shot Boston had in East.
Yup.  I can now just kick back and enjoy the good series/games without any rooting interest.  I mean, I hope they make it through the play in tourney and don't get swept in the first round...but outside of that I have no expectations. 

Utah is a good team to watch.  They play team basketball.  Lots of movement.

But......Joe Ingles fouls people constantly.  Push offs.  Grabs.  Body.   Dude should foul out in the first 5 minutes of every game.

Utah is a good team to watch.  They play team basketball.  Lots of movement.

But......Joe Ingles fouls people constantly.  Push offs.  Grabs.  Body.   Dude should foul out in the first 5 minutes of every game.
I never liked Utah and I don't think I'll ever really be able to get behind them.  The one thing I agree with Lebron on.

I've bagged on the guy as much as anyone over the years but I can't think of many that have completely turned it around like he has mid-career. 

Guy was out of the league and staring overseas in the face (if he wanted to continue playing ball) just a few years ago. W/o Thibs in Minnesota at the time, he'd have no question been out of the league before he hit 30.
I'll second this. Rose obviously went though a mid career crisis, so to say, when he realized he would never regain the world class athleticism that made him an MVP at such a young age. When the Cavs let him go a few years back, I truly thought it was the end for Rose. Remember seeing the sad looking picture of him shooting alone at some random high school gym when he was a free agent. But Thibs through him a life line in Minnesota, and he hasn't looked back since then, and is now one of the best reserves in the league. He put his ego aside and developed a game that is useful to NBA teams.

I'll second this. Rose obviously went though a mid career crisis, so to say, when he realized he would never regain the world class athleticism that made him an MVP at such a young age. When the Cavs let him go a few years back, I truly thought it was the end for Rose. Remember seeing the sad looking picture of him shooting alone at some random high school gym when he was a free agent. But Thibs through him a life line in Minnesota, and he hasn't looked back since then, and is now one of the best reserves in the league. He put his ego aside and developed a game that is useful to NBA teams.
I don't know if there is a better story in the league.

Russell Westbrook with another triple double

sports media: triple doubles are a made up stat. nobody cares. they're easy to get. anyone can do it. Westbrook just chases meaningless stats. HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE JOKIC HAD A TRIPLE DOUBLE!?!??!!?  when you watch Westbrook in the pick & roll, in the last 2 minutes of 3rd quarters on the road, when the team is trailing between 6-10 pts and he has 3 fouls and fewer than 9 assists, he shoots 42%  in those situations.... that's not winning basketball.

Russell Westbrook with another triple double

sports media: triple doubles are a made up stat. nobody cares. they're easy to get. anyone can do it. Westbrook just chases meaningless stats. HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE JOKIC HAD A TRIPLE DOUBLE!?!??!!?  when you watch Westbrook in the pick & roll, in the last 2 minutes of 3rd quarters on the road, when the team is trailing between 6-10 pts and he has 3 fouls and fewer than 9 assists, he shoots 42%  in those situations.... that's not winning basketball.
he's just reacting to the hike in turnover-to-usage rate which occurs with each assist closer to his double in that cat.

yikes and wow! Maybe we should change topics.........

Let's start with pre-season predictions. Will try West after others try, but here is top 8 seeds for the East:

1. Nets - surprising upset since most will put Mil in 1st seed, but i would think Nets are better rested for this sped up season, and i think Nets look to be a dominant force through the season (as long as Kyrie's sage works0

2. Milwaukee - great regular season team, can't see them falling out of top 3 seed. only way is if Giannis gets injured and is out for considerable amount of time. 

3. 76'ers - can be called a homer take, but i just think they will be a solid team and have a solid showing. will depend on Doc if he can keep them focused every game each season, but the bench is considerably better and the team as a whole is as well. 

4. Toronto Raptors - really no idea why i have them here. Think seeds 3-6 will be with-in a few games of each other and is interchangeable

5. Miami Heat - have to think they will be worn down from the expedited off-season, but will still have them winning plenty of games and be tough in the playoffs

6. Boston C's - i think the lack of bench depth, partiularly with the wings will hurt them more then people are considering. Have to think Kemba won't rush back, so going 2-3 months without him will have the C's struggle a bit. Also am not seeing how Tristan can be such a big upgrade at their center position, I think Theis will be better then him. 

7. Atlanta Hawks - all of the off-season pieces will pay off. 

8 Charlotte Hornets - Have to think they push hard for this playoff spot.

others close would be Orlando and Washington. Just wonder what exactly we see in Russ this year

ETA:

completely forgot about Indiana. I can see them finish as high as 3, so really the only 2 i like are my 1 and 2
It's funny looking back to the predictions on the season (around page 30 i think these were). Some pretty funny takes (I had one that suggested Sixers trade Tobias for a 2023 2nd round pick  :bag: , i'm glad Morrey didn't read this thread). 

Biggest miss here was Indiana. don't know how they fell so far, but man did they. And was definitely a mistake keeping Toronto up that high

Really under-estimated Knicks too, happy to see them play and the killer effort they keep putting in. No doubt they will be a tough out in the playoffs

Luckily a lot of my future bets mirror the above, so glad to cash some nice one's in a week. Glad i went heavy on Celtics' under, :stirspot:

1. Bucks - Depth has been reduced, but probably still strong enough to roll through the regular season and get the 1 seed (Lowest possible seed: 3)

2. Heat - Cohesion and not losing anyone and likelihood that they now make some more deals in-season with Giannis off the table (Highest: 1 / Lowest 4)

3. Nets - Some implosion potential but obviously will have a great offense.  Kyrie/Durant injury risks probably the biggest downfall (Highest: 1 / Lowest 6)

4. Celtics - Still buy into Stevens and Brown/Tatum development, but Kemba's nagging injury has me a bit concerned (Highest: 2 / Lowest 6)

5. Sixers - Like a lot of their moves but the Sixers will always Sixer and things will be weird and they will lose games they shouldn't (Highest: 3 / Lowest 7)

6. Raptors - Love Nick Nurse, just hard to see them getting that much above this with the loss off talent and infusion at the top (Highest: 4 / Lowest 7)

7. Pacers - Kind of an underrated group that came back and intrigued to see what Nate Bjorkgren can unlock, but VO injury concerns and potential for just trying a bunch of new things (Highest: 4 / Lowest 9)

8. Hawks - You have to think that the pieces they added will get them to the top 8.  Still a lot of questions about Pierce and how he can put it all together (Highest : 6 / Lowest 9)

9. Wizards - Really good offense, should win enough games 140-135 to get into the play-in (Highest: 7 / Lowest 11)

10. Magic - They are a decent team, but just no real upside, so median outcome seems around here (Highest:8 / Lowest 11)

11. Bulls - Potential to get into the tourney for sure, but with the new regime and sorting out of rotations, think they will be on the outside looking in (Highest: 9 / Lowest 12)

12. Pistons - If Blake and Rose can hold up decently, there is an outside chance they get into the tourney, but in most scenarios, they will crash (Highest: 9 / Lowest 15)

13. Hornets - Growing pains for Lamelo and overall lack of talent make it hard for me to push them up any higher (Highest: 11 / Lowest 14)

14. Knicks - Total trainwreck with the way their roster is built, maybe Thibs gets them to play hard for half the season (Highest: 12 / Lowest 15)

15. Cavs - Team is really still nowhere  and I don't really know what they can do to be any better this year. (Highest: 13 / Lowest 15)
😧

Users who are viewing this thread