What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (11 Viewers)

So i guess we are throwing out the theory that the Nets will play defense in the playoffs? might work for them against some, but my guess is they can't rely on that against the Bucks

I don't think they need to blow it up (probably), just replace McCollum with a good forward and get a new coach.

McCollum is a great tough shot maker, but otherwise he's just a guy.
I agree McCollum will be the guy to go. You can't claim to be "one of the NBA best backcourts" and (potentially) lose to backcourt of Rivers and Kamakaze. Part of me still refuses to believe Blazers will actually lose this series to a injury-ravaged Nuggets team.

I'd have dealt McCollum already when Trent Jr was there but I still thought they did well enough with transactions (Covington/jones Jr/Powell) with limited ability to maneuver to take another step this year

Never thought they would overturn KD's charge.
That was an awful overturn. KD saw him there and lowered his shoulder. Smart absolutely even got his feet set before contact. That’s a play I’ve seen on inbounds plays tons of times to get a charge.

I know Frosty loves ref talk, but I do think this one is a little fishy with Chris Paul and Scott Fisher:

Chris Paul: “They’re [Lakers] shooting a lot of free throws, last game. Tonight. 11 games in a row. 11 games in a row.” Referencing the fact that Chris Paul’s teams have the lost the last 11 games officiated by Scott Foster.

Is he on to something, or is this one of those "nothing to see here?" things? 

I know Frosty loves ref talk, but I do think this one is a little fishy with Chris Paul and Scott Fisher:

Chris Paul: “They’re [Lakers] shooting a lot of free throws, last game. Tonight. 11 games in a row. 11 games in a row.” Referencing the fact that Chris Paul’s teams have the lost the last 11 games officiated by Scott Foster.

nobody has more dirty tricks in the NBA than Chris Paul

Knicks are infuriating. Randle and RJB are just ghosts out there. This ATL team isn’t very good.  Swept and dominated them in the regular season. Knicks should be feasting. Just not good all around. 

Knicks are infuriating. Randle and RJB are just ghosts out there. This ATL team isn’t very good.  Swept and dominated them in the regular season. Knicks should be feasting. Just not good all around. 
you hustle when nobody else is, you win. you hustle when everybody else is, maybe not so much. called this when y'all first started getting excited

The Knicks aren’t very good either.  Maybe if we merged our rosters after round 1 we would give the Sixers a series but as it is whoever wins this one is out in 4-5 games next round.

As far as the free throws go, Phoenix was 29th in the league in FT attempts per game, while the Lakers were 5th, even without Davis and Lebron for much of the year.  With those two, it stands to reason that the disparity would stand and even grow, especially since they have nobody at all to deal with Davis when he wants to play aggressively.  Add to that the previously referenced dirty tactics employed by Paul, and I think he's just a veteran whining in hopes of getting more calls in the next game.

Wow.  I hadn't seen this until just now.

I don't get it at all.  I looked and looked for some justification to overturn the call and I can't see anything that they could hang their hat on.  I believe there is some rule about allowing a player room to avoid the contact when off ball, but there was plenty of room there and Durant even blasted through and finished Smart off with extending his arms into him.  Smart was moving a bit, but it was only in maintenance of legal guarding position, which is allowed.  Very odd and glad it didn't cost them the game.

Wow.  I hadn't seen this until just now.

I don't get it at all.  I looked and looked for some justification to overturn the call and I can't see anything that they could hang their hat on.  I believe there is some rule about allowing a player room to avoid the contact when off ball, but there was plenty of room there and Durant even blasted through and finished Smart off with extending his arms into him.  Smart was moving a bit, but it was only in maintenance of legal guarding position, which is allowed.  Very odd and glad it didn't cost them the game.
That should have been the call stands. In real time you can call a block or charge, but replay shows nothing to overturn either call. 

Just a Bucks barrage here in the 3rd quarter.  Miami has had no answer - 6 points in almost 8 minutes.
What a difference a year makes.

I was pretty high on the dropping of Bledsoe and adding Holiday.  Not sure if that explains all of the difference between these 2 teams over last season, but Jrue is a much more complete and effective player.

Meanwhile, Giannis with a triple double.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was an awful overturn. KD saw him there and lowered his shoulder. Smart absolutely even got his feet set before contact. That’s a play I’ve seen on inbounds plays tons of times to get a charge.
That's such weak defense. KD's shoulder doesn't dip until after the flop. If they stsrt rewarding that garbage off the ball it's really going to become unwatchable. 

That's such weak defense. KD's shoulder doesn't dip until after the flop. If they stsrt rewarding that garbage off the ball it's really going to become unwatchable. 
What?  Do you know how easy it is to score if you can just run and cut wherever you want?

A huge part of defense is beating the offensive player to the spot and maintaining a legal guarding position.  If you know where a guy wants to go, the best play is to get there first.  If the offensive player insists on going through you anyway, that is illegal and a foul.  That is exactly what happened on this play and will continue to happen in games at all levels.

I honestly have no idea what you are getting at here.  It is literally a foundational principal of the game.

What?  Do you know how easy it is to score if you can just run and cut wherever you want?

A huge part of defense is beating the offensive player to the spot and maintaining a legal guarding position.  If you know where a guy wants to go, the best play is to get there first.  If the offensive player insists on going through you anyway, that is illegal and a foul.  That is exactly what happened on this play and will continue to happen in games at all levels.

I honestly have no idea what you are getting at here.  It is literally a foundational principal of the game.
If you've ever played, it's a dead giveaway when the defender's arms come forward on contact that he hired down on his own volition and is flopping. Should be a no call but don't mind the overturn to disincentivize this tactic. 

If you've ever played, it's a dead giveaway when the defender's arms come forward on contact that he hired down on his own volition and is flopping. Should be a no call but don't mind the overturn to disincentivize this tactic. 
:rolleyes: Yes I played in college and have officiated HS ball for 10 years.  Just because a player goes with the contact and doesn't fight it doesn't mean it isn't an offensive foul.  In fact, that is how like 90% of charges are taken.  If the defender fights the contact and doesn't allow the offensive player to run them over, they usually get called for the foul.

Embellishing contact happens often in the NBA and should be punished more often.  That was not the case there.

:rolleyes: Yes I played in college and have officiated HS ball for 10 years.  Just because a player goes with the contact and doesn't fight it doesn't mean it isn't an offensive foul.  In fact, that is how like 90% of charges are taken.  If the defender fights the contact and doesn't allow the offensive player to run them over, they usually get called for the foul.

Embellishing contact happens often in the NBA and should be punished more often.  That was not the case there.
I played in college and have coached for over 25 years. That's a classic pull the chair from in front and pull the guy over. Derrick Fisher would be proud of him. 

I played in college and have coached for over 25 years. That's a classic pull the chair from in front and pull the guy over. Derrick Fisher would be proud of him. 
He didn't grab him and did nothing to aid Durant's momentum.  Durant ends up on top of Smart 100% because of his own momentum and is the responsible party for the contact.  Two guys with better resumes than either of us, Van Gundy and Mark Jackson, both watched the replay and said it was a great defensive play and definitely an offensive foul.

He didn't grab him and did nothing to aid Durant's momentum.  Durant ends up on top of Smart 100% because of his own momentum and is the responsible party for the contact.  Two guys with better resumes than either of us, Van Gundy and Mark Jackson, both watched the replay and said it was a great defensive play and definitely an offensive foul.
Durant is vertical until Smart's arms wrap around him.  I can't see where he actually pulls him, but as someone who did this a lot, and was the victim a handful of times, it doesn't take much.  When you get hit hard enough to get knocked on your ###, it is highly unlikely you will be holding your ground after contact, wrapping your arms around the opponent before going down.  As an official you can't fall for that.

Users who are viewing this thread