What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (6 Viewers)

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The Boston Celtics are finalizing an agreement to hire Brooklyn Nets assistant Ime Udoka as the franchise's new coach, sources tell ESPN.

1:45 PM · Jun 23, 2021
it leaked yesterday afternoon locally, but was unconfirmed. the same report had Billups saying no, btw. the early talk here is that the "Jays" either picked him or approved him and everyone's wondering if that's good or bad, know'm'sayin'?

The Boston Celtics are finalizing an agreement to hire Brooklyn Nets assistant Ime Udoka as the franchise's new coach, sources tell ESPN.

it is an interesting move. I haven't followed him a ton, but i know he was with the Sixers before going to the Nets. Came in highly thought of from San Antonio, but he came in with the Al Horford deal and was let go when Brett Brown was let go. Only here for a year, and the reports when he came here were glowing, and needless to say when Brett was let go no one was saying anything about Udoka to stay with the org. 

Seems like a heck of a dice roll. Maybe the C's think he can connect better with the players and get through to them, but i know when he was with the Sixers the team chemistry was one of the worst it has been in a long time

Both teams got the same free timeout.
I feel as though it’s more beneficial to the offense in that scenario though.

If you mean the Clippers got time to plan their heave (when they couldn’t figure out who was supposed to be out there) then I can’t disagree, but Phoenix’s freebie was much more impactful. 

He shouldn't have even been on the ball.  You gotta sell out to take away the dunk/tip in and live with a contested mid-range perimeter.  With 0.7 you can ignore the inbounder and play 5v4 on the rest and take away any back picks/shape ups.
Yeah, great point. Especially with goaltending out of the picture, there is really no excuse to let that happen. 

Because usually young teams with little to no playoff experience don't make runs to the finals.

Super teams can do it when they have a group of guys that have been in some playoff battles.

You could also look at the Suns and say what about them. They could be the exception to the rule, but they Paul and Crowder and they have also have yet to play a team that isn't missing an all-star or all nba player. 
very Suns-y sitch here. they can see what they got for a year and, when Blake's contract goes off the books, have enough for two max contracts in '22-23 (if they find a trade partner for Plumlee's last season) or, instead, get the best value of the first-contract crop (Collins, Markaanen, Jarrett Allen or Richaun Holmes) and seal-the-deal the next year with a 2nd-contract guy like the Suns did with CP3. Bey's your Mikal Bridges (almost literally), you can find out if Stewart is a 4 or 5 and if his ceiling is higher next season, you already know that Jerami Grant was a steal and can 3rd-option a playoff team ('20 Nuggets) and will have a good idea how CadeKill will mesh. that's a pretty good spot - i'd honestly rather be a Pistons fan than a Sixers fan right now, tho that's mostly so i don't have to spend time with other Sixer fans. GL - have fun!

ETA: my lone worry is that Casey is a PG-whisperer - which should be good for CadeKill's development - but wonder if that might keep him from embracing a backcourt of two 6'5+ guys

Last edited by a moderator:
it is an interesting move. I haven't followed him a ton, but i know he was with the Sixers before going to the Nets. Came in highly thought of from San Antonio, but he came in with the Al Horford deal and was let go when Brett Brown was let go. Only here for a year, and the reports when he came here were glowing, and needless to say when Brett was let go no one was saying anything about Udoka to stay with the org. 

Seems like a heck of a dice roll. Maybe the C's think he can connect better with the players and get through to them, but i know when he was with the Sixers the team chemistry was one of the worst it has been in a long time
I think they wanted someone that the players could potentially push around a little bit and someone that could have a better connection with than they did with Stevens. Stevens is great with younger players that want to take to coaching, IMO, the youngsters in BOS had gotten to the point where they were just not going to listen to or respect Brad anymore. Stevens was better suited for the college game than dealing with diva-like personalities in the Association.

Not sure who else would have been a consideration, but brining in a strong willed hard liner coach probably would have made things worse. If Udoka can better relate to the players than Stevens did, that would probably help. However, the big unknown will be if there were issues between Stevens and his players (which there apparently were), will they hold a grudge with him getting kicked upstairs and not love / rebel against his personnel moves heading forward.

If the C's players wanted a coach to just let them play and have the coach only in the periphery, maybe Udoka will turn out to be that guy and a decent hire. I don't think many people know all that much about him, so he will definitely be a work in progress.

Congrats to the Piston fans on the #1 pick.  Question though - is Cade the definite pick and do people see him as a lock to be a star (not even superstar)?  I watched the kid play like twice so I have very little to go on - in one game he was pretty studly but the other game he was average.  My bigger point was in neither game did I feel like I was watching the next NBA stud and curious what Detroit (and other) fans think.

Congrats to the Piston fans on the #1 pick.  Question though - is Cade the definite pick and do people see him as a lock to be a star (not even superstar)?  I watched the kid play like twice so I have very little to go on - in one game he was pretty studly but the other game he was average.  My bigger point was in neither game did I feel like I was watching the next NBA stud and curious what Detroit (and other) fans think.
He seems to be the most complete player of the bunch. I don't think any of them are a lock to be a star, so he makes the most sense of what is there.

Race baiting gone wrong..... (obviously he's now deleted the tweet :lol:  )

@realjaywilliams

The first head coach of color for the @celtics... & even more importantly....he is one talented individual who has paid his dues. 
ESPN wouldn't pay Ariel Helwani but continues to pay this joker? (I presume as an "NBA analyst")

Thunderlips said:
I don't think Cuz is wrong.  Obviously if you're getting Lillard(they're not) or DeRozen(maybe a sign and trade) that's one thing.  But giving him up for a bag of balls and the rights to Yao Ming (in the off chance the Chinese perfect the artifical foot) would hurt the team more than keeping him.  
They have no choice at this point. I mean if your someone who thinks Ben can turn this around sure don't trade him for nothing but we're at the point I think there's no turning back and the team NEEDS TO TRADE HIM THIS OFFSEASON. Yeah you don't want to trade him for nothing but at the same time he needs to be traded. 

modogg said:
Ehh, i doubt this will do anything, but nice PR for the NBA after they showed NBA fans how silly the current rules are after the 6'ers-Hawks series:

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Sources: The NBA is expected to implement new rules to limit non-basketball moves that would result in an offensive foul or no-call beginning next season.

Not trying to be a cynic with the NBA, but i am going to guess we won't see much change at all. The NBA does more to prop up their "stars", and thus Trae won't all of a sudden stop getting all of those free throws. but hooray on them to make it look like they are going to do something

ETA: i'll miss some of these though: https://twitter.com/Chriftopher/status/1407372491979476992. Honestly is hilarious that the NBA waits to make this call after the series
You aren't wrong. I remember 8 or so years ago they were gonna do something about players flopping and giving them Technical fouls and fines for it. Then they realized their prized Possession Lebron AKA LeFlop did it and so did many other stars and I haven't seen one player since T'd up or fined. 

Judge Smails said:
I just can't understand an NBA player not being able to make free throws.  Maybe Shaq as the ball felt like a grapefruit in his hands.  But everyone else? Nah.  What Ben and Giannis did in these playoffs was a disgrace to the game.  You can't tell me that having a shooting coach at their side fine tuning technique and then shooting X # of free throws every day during the offseason wouldn't get anybody to a minimum of 70% or so.  Maybe 60 and change for the worst.  The game is stopped.  Nobody defending.  That's like not being able to play catch in baseball.
What makes it worse is these NBA teams giving max contracts to these guys. I'd refuse to give these guys Max or super Max deals. It might have me have me trade these guys or lose out on certain FA's but at least my cap and team won't be hamstrung by their deficiencies and contracts. On top of that when it's someone like Ben Simmons who refuses to get better why would you want that on your team and in your locker room? That just scream "all about me" and selfishness. 

msudaisy26 said:
Just wait until the lottery is over and 76er fans start offering Ben for 1.01 and 2 future unprotected firsts. 
I'm still on the guy on Facebook yesterday I saw that Anything less then Ben Simmons for Damian Lillard and 2 1st rounders is unacceptable for the sixers. 

modogg said:
i'm amazed it has taken this long, but thankfully someone in the sports media is calling out these fraud sports media staff and the dumb-### fans out there all making fun of Ben Simmons. Appreciate finally someone calling people out for pouring on a guy with a mental health issue

https://twitter.com/FoxSportsRadio/status/1407409300767711239

just insanity how people act all high and mighty but love coming around to kick a guy when he is down because of a legitimate issue
Not Surprising Chris Broussard will defend Lebron and Ben Simmons to death. 

And Honestly I'm all for mental health but there's a a lot more to Osaka's situation. This all started after she decided she was representing Japan in the Olympics instead of the US. She then refused to answer any questions on the situation. Now after being fined by the WTA she claims she needs to step away for mental health. I'm not saying she's lying but it's kind of conveniently done right before the Olympics. So you can see why someone people are calling bull

As for Ben he's always been selfish and me first dating back to his younger days. It has nothing to do with mental health for Ben. He's just selfish and stubborn. There were reports at LSU of him refusing extra practice reps from his Uncle a coach there at LSU. Nd then then theres the whole reason he chose LSU over big time Basketball programs because he wanted to be the only star and not share the basketball spotlight. So for Ben and Mental Healthy here I'm gonna call BS especially when another report says he threw a temper-tantrum after Brett Brown called him out Brown's last season with the team. 

Great play but the end of this game has been ridiculous to watch.  They have got to do something about these replays. 
Allow booth reviews for only certain plays, maybe the refs shouldn't suck as much to begin with and maybe do NBA rule of teams get two challenges if they successful on both get a bonus. If they lose the challenge it's a timeout lost

Hearing Kenny Smith talk about when he/the Houston Rockets were champions their attitude was 'we are the champs.  You're going to have to beat us'  (paraphrased)

I'm betting that in the back of his mind he was thinking 'Hey Michael (Jordan), keep trying to hit that curveball.'

Thats a hell of a hire and I said the Sixers had their coach right under them as he was a former Assistant under Brett Brown. He was in the running for the Bulls HC job until Billy Donovan suddenly became available 

Hearing Kenny Smith talk about when he/the Houston Rockets were champions their attitude was 'we are the champs.  You're going to have to beat us'  (paraphrased)

I'm betting that in the back of his mind he was thinking 'Hey Michael (Jordan), keep trying to hit that curveball.'
Hey now, the Rockets were there in the '95 Finals waiting for the Bulls, but MJ was back and could only get the Bulls to the 2nd round. :shrug:  

I love the guy but he has to get Bogdanovic out of there - he's a liability, can't defend and can't shoot.

ETA - you already have Young who is a defensive liability.  If Reddish can't go we are screwed because Hill sucks.

if Giannis goes to the line for 2 and he makes the first one, i'd rather he fire the next one off the front of the rim, fight for the rebound and dunk it on somebody's neck.

probably net zero points either way, but no nuts, no glory.

was worried that he'd be a big factor, but his knee cannot feel good. best to let him rest and fight another day.
It was obvious in the Sixers series something wasn't right but I don't think anyone thought he was this hurt.  Trae and Collins need to play 40 min a game for us to have a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread