What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (14 Viewers)

Stick around. I would like to hear more of your basketball related opinions. 
Long odds usually don't pay, but Atlanta has been the best team in basketball record wise since way back to Febuary and they were given no respect.  Very similar to Phoenix.  If it is a Phoenix and Atlanta final, I will be very happy.

Hope they do well! All my wife’s family is up there so hope they get some excitement - been a rough spell for Detroit sports. 
It has been just brutal.  Every team is at rock bottom, the worst of the worst.  The Lions and Pistons are turning the corner and should be competitive again very soon.  The Wings and Tigers are taking baby steps and still years away.  

Stephen A was on first take today. This came from a person close to the situation in Philly on Ben Simmons

"Doesn't work, doesn't listen and constantly babied." 

Those aren't ringing endorsements and stuff has been said before about him. I had a coworker who was neighbors with Brett Brown when he was the Sixers coach and actually neighbors with NBC10 Philly Sports Report John Clark. She told me this was said constantly by both guys. one of the Sixers falling outs with Brett Brown is he didn't agree with how certain players got treated by the Org as a whole.

As you remember there was a scathing report in The Caulder involving Joel Embiid and Shirley Temples and the Sixers awhile back and how Brown and Harris and Hinkine didn't see eye to eye. One of the biggest issues Brown had at the time is how the 76ers babied Joel Embiid. Brown comes from the Gregg Popovich coaching tree and they don't tolerate that #### in SAS as you saw with the whole Leonard situation. Hinkie ended up leaving but the Sixers babying their stars continued. Brown wasn't the greatest coach but there was numerious media people saying as much as Brown's colleges hated the org they respected Brown and felt bad he was put in the position he was with Philly. 

Either way this is not endearing for Simmons or the Sixers right now. Honestly given what I've heard over the years not surprised. 

Race baiting gone wrong..... (obviously he's now deleted the tweet :lol:  )

ESPN wouldn't pay Ariel Helwani but continues to pay this joker? (I presume as an "NBA analyst")
Update!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealJayWilliams/status/1407845316582264833

@RealJayWilliams

As it relates to the Boston Celtics tweet that came from my account a couple of hours ago… I did not post that & my passcode has now been changed.
So someone hacked his account...to post 1 tweet...about the Boston head coach change. And he got his account right back :lmao:  

Good lord. :lmao:  

Edit: For an additional laugh: https://mobile.twitter.com/TDPresentsYT/status/1407847751245877248

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been just brutal.  Every team is at rock bottom, the worst of the worst.  The Lions and Pistons are turning the corner and should be competitive again very soon.  The Wings and Tigers are taking baby steps and still years away.  
Hey now, don't forget about the Grand Rapids Griffins.  AHL champs only 4 years ago!

Update!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealJayWilliams/status/1407845316582264833

So someone hacked his account...to post 1 tweet...about the Boston head coach change. And he got his account right back :lmao:  

Good lord. :lmao:  

Edit: For an additional laugh: https://mobile.twitter.com/TDPresentsYT/status/1407847751245877248
Depends on his political ideology. If he believes what most of the executives do, then he'll be safe. If he is the opposite, he'd be gone already. So think he's fine. 

Not sure what Atlanta needs to do to get respect.  Certainly on the road against the Bucks they should be slight dogs, but still 7.5 points?  There was not one moment in last night's game where it looked like Milwaukee was going to cover +8.  Sure it is possible Milwaukee will put on their big boy pants and blow Atlanta out in a must win game at home, but Atlanta is the best team remaining and should be the favorite to win it all.  Atlanta should only be or +1 or +2 dog on the road.  

Not sure what Atlanta needs to do to get respect.  Certainly on the road against the Bucks they should be slight dogs, but still 7.5 points?  There was not one moment in last night's game where it looked like Milwaukee was going to cover +8.  Sure it is possible Milwaukee will put on their big boy pants and blow Atlanta out in a must win game at home, but Atlanta is the best team remaining and should be the favorite to win it all.  Atlanta should only be or +1 or +2 dog on the road.  
Negative

Negative what?  You don't think Atlanta will cover +7.5?  Or you don't think they are the best team left, despite having the best record since February, despite taking down the #1 and #4 seeds, despite beating the Bucks in game #1.   Besides name recognition and preconceived biases, looking objectively at results seem to indicated the Hawks are as good or better than the Bucks, even if it is based on superior coaching.  

I don't know if it should be +1 or +2, but the Hawks have proved the entire playoffs that they won't cave or panic.  This team shouldn't be a 7.5 point underdog to a Milwaukee team that is poorly coached, seems beyond confused on offense much of the game, and lacks a true go-to-guy in crunch time.

Negative what?  You don't think Atlanta will cover +7.5?  Or you don't think they are the best team left, despite having the best record since February, despite taking down the #1 and #4 seeds, despite beating the Bucks in game #1.   Besides name recognition and preconceived biases, looking objectively at results seem to indicated the Hawks are as good or better than the Bucks, even if it is based on superior coaching.  
I think you're out of your element.

I could go point-by-point, but let's leave it at your statement that a bunt  is the same as FT shooting.

You lost me there, and and haven't made any inroads since.

I'm ok with disagreeing with you.

This isn't the political forum.

wasn't some of the rumors floating around when the Harden talks first started that Kyrie may be involved? Could make sense, but in all honesty i feel like reporting on trading rumors has become so horrible the last 5-10 years it is close to worthless. It is like reports that come out a few weeks before the NFL draft, but even worse because so much of trade rumors is speculation and just talking from sports media. 

It is crazy when a team loses in the playoffs now, you hear more about who may be traded then any actual analysis of the team/game. Portland with Dame, Dallas with Porzingis, Heat with who they would bring in (rather than who they need to get rid of), etc. Just kind of crazy, and very specific to NBA it seems.

I mean the whole conversation for months was how Durant and Kyrie were talking for months about free agency and coordinated to go to a place together. We really think 1 season into them both playing that the trading Kyrie for whatever they would get back would go over well with the players? i mean maybe, just seems strange to plan for months to go somewhere and after one series with all the injuries the players would be ok with moving guys around

That's not really a big spread and it's easy to push a 3-4 point lead to a 7-8 point lead at the end of a game with the trailing team fouling the leading team in an attempt to stop the clock. It's hardly a slap in the face for the "better" team at home to be favored by 8 points.

That's not really a big spread and it's easy to push a 3-4 point lead to a 7-8 point lead at the end of a game with the trailing team fouling the leading team in an attempt to stop the clock. It's hardly a slap in the face for the "better" team at home to be favored by 8 points.
Maybe not a slap in the face, but I'm a highly biased lifelong Bucks fan and I'd take the points here all day long.

I think you're out of your element.

I could go point-by-point, but let's leave it at your statement that a bunt  is the same as FT shooting.

You lost me there, and and haven't made any inroads since.

I'm ok with disagreeing with you.

This isn't the political forum.
The bunt analogy is irrelevant to this discussion, but considering sacrifice bunt are about 70 to 80 percent successful, the analogy between a fundamental skill like a bunt is not that far off of being similar to a free throw.  Your irrelevant dismissiveness is noted though.  

In re-watching last night's game (watching the 3rd quarter for the first time)

Coach Bud is not good at in-game adjustments.

Portis > Lopez imo
Agreed and Portis>>>>> Pat C as well.  I would think Portis would've grabbed at least 1 of those defense rebounds the Bucks failed to get in the 4th quarter that led to easy Capella and Collins buckets and that painful Collins 3.

wasn't some of the rumors floating around when the Harden talks first started that Kyrie may be involved? Could make sense, but in all honesty i feel like reporting on trading rumors has become so horrible the last 5-10 years it is close to worthless. It is like reports that come out a few weeks before the NFL draft, but even worse because so much of trade rumors is speculation and just talking from sports media. 

It is crazy when a team loses in the playoffs now, you hear more about who may be traded then any actual analysis of the team/game. Portland with Dame, Dallas with Porzingis, Heat with who they would bring in (rather than who they need to get rid of), etc. Just kind of crazy, and very specific to NBA it seems.

I mean the whole conversation for months was how Durant and Kyrie were talking for months about free agency and coordinated to go to a place together. We really think 1 season into them both playing that the trading Kyrie for whatever they would get back would go over well with the players? i mean maybe, just seems strange to plan for months to go somewhere and after one series with all the injuries the players would be ok with moving guys around
The simple answer is it's Kyrie. So yes, I fully believe that even a limited dose of Irving is enough for a team to consider other options. He got through two years with both BOS and BRK and both were already sick of him and his antics.

Just because he and KD wanted to play together doesn't mean the rest of the team or the organization have to all be fan boys. Between the injuries, the off court stuff, his attitude, and his seemingly odd behavior, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a team could find him more trouble than he's worth.

The other players you listed don't seem to have the same issues that Irving has, so I would put Kyrie in his own category. 

Anyone but Pat Connaughton, literally anyone.

Please Bud.
Agreed I don't get Bud's love for this guy at all.  
He's a 37% 3pt shooter this season and they got him an open shot - I didn't have a problem with that play.  I don't pretend to understand the NBA anymore so can't defend or trash Bud, but last night's loss was on the players for the most part in my opinion.

Agreed.  I'm not sure they're better than the Bucks but it's much closer than most people think.  If this exact team had Celtics across their chests instead of the Hawks the betting lines and national opinion on who's winning the series would be much different.  This series is going to be a dogfight.  I still think the Bucks will win it but it's going at least 6 but most likely 7.

He's a 37% 3pt shooter this season and they got him an open shot - I didn't have a problem with that play.  I don't pretend to understand the NBA anymore so can't defend or trash Bud, but last night's loss was on the players for the most part in my opinion.
He’s a 37% shooter who is prone to putting up air balls under pressure.   Which isn’t new. 

it's even between the players and Bud imo.  Pat C had 29 minutes last night... he's not that good of a player to get those minutes, especially when guys like Portis had 11 points and 8 rebounds in 15 minutes.  Rebounding was a huge problem last night and the Hawks had more energy and hustle than the Bucks (that's 100% on the Bucks players last night).  My problem with Bud besides Pat C getting so many minutes was their perimeter D.  They Bucks kept going under those high screens last night while the guy guarding the screener was hanging out in the paint.  What kind of D is that?  One that allows wide open 3's to a guy who hung 48 points on you that's what.  

it's even between the players and Bud imo.  Pat C had 29 minutes last night... he's not that good of a player to get those minutes, especially when guys like Portis had 11 points and 8 rebounds in 15 minutes.  Rebounding was a huge problem last night and the Hawks had more energy and hustle than the Bucks (that's 100% on the Bucks players last night).  My problem with Bud besides Pat C getting so many minutes was their perimeter D.  They Bucks kept going under those high screens last night while the guy guarding the screener was hanging out in the paint.  What kind of D is that?  One that allows wide open 3's to a guy who hung 48 points on you that's what.  
For nearly all of the game.

Insane.

Saw the same sort of non-adjustments mentality in the Nets series too.

20k at 100-1 odds to win the title

20k at 40-1 to win the east. 

Pay out is 2.8 million if they win the title. 
I would be borrowing some serious cash to hedge those bets.  You could lock in about a $500k pay day while still winning about $2 million if Atlanta wins it all.  

This is something that I highly, highly doubt. Kyrie is the reason KD came to Brooklyn, so I think the Nets can kiss him (and then Harden) goodbye next year if they trade Irving. Are they really going to jeopardize their championship core because he went to a maskless party and missed 7 games in January? I’m very skeptical.
Even KD probably realizes now that Kyrie will flake out, get injured, whatever.  Dude isn't reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread