What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (9 Viewers)

If Nuggets can't come out of the West (especially now with the Murray injury) I am really pulling for the Jazz. it is about time some small market clubs get their time to shine. I know the NBA wants Lakers and Nets soooo bad...so I hope it blows up in their face.

And as a Nuggets fan, i think about what could have been as they drafted Donovan Mitchell and then traded him draft night, 
Mitchell was mocked to the Pistons that entire off-season, there was a need and we took Luke Kennard. I feel your pain, not as bad since the Nuggets actually took him, but yeah. 

Bulls might be the worst team in the league right now. They're getting destroyed at home by all the weakest teams in the league 🤣

They're fighting the raps and wizards for final spot in the play in....and the bulls are easily playing the worst right now.

They might even be thankful they got Top 4 protection on that vucevic deal. Only teams in East I think they *may* be better than are Magic and Pistons.

If Nuggets can't come out of the West (especially now with the Murray injury) I am really pulling for the Jazz. it is about time some small market clubs get their time to shine. I know the NBA wants Lakers and Nets soooo bad...so I hope it blows up in their face.

And as a Nuggets fan, i think about what could have been as they drafted Donovan Mitchell and then traded him draft night, 
They were pretty high on Harris at the time, they were never going to take Mitchell. From what I understand, the idea was to pick up an asset (Trey Lyles, barf) and land they guy they were looking at with there original pick in OG Anunoby. At the time, I was reeeeally hoping that is who they were going to pick. He would have been a great complement to the current team.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lakers won a title so this is nitpicking, but it is kind of incredible that they hit on all those 1st round picks and kept the worst one and traded 2 of them for basically nothing
So AD is basically nothing?  

The one part of the Laker organization that performed well above expectations during the crapfest that was the Jim Buss era was the scouting department.  They hit on those picks mentioned, but also found some decent players in the second round as well, such as Jordan Clarkson, and Svi Mykhailiuk, Ivica Zubac.  However, player development was not nearly as good during that time, which is one of the reasons why the Lakers had to give up the draft assets they did along with Ball and Ingram in the AD trade.  If those two came up under the current coaching staff (and had they both been a bit healthier), I think their progress in purple & gold would have been much greater.

Losing Randle for nothing was suboptimal, but at the time the Lakers were valuing cap space in looking at the 2019 off-season.  Given that Randle was someone who functioned best with the ball in his hands and was a career 25% 3-point shooter at that time, having him on a team that just signed Lebron wasn't the best fit.  

So AD is basically nothing?  

The one part of the Laker organization that performed well above expectations during the crapfest that was the Jim Buss era was the scouting department.  They hit on those picks mentioned, but also found some decent players in the second round as well, such as Jordan Clarkson, and Svi Mykhailiuk, Ivica Zubac.  However, player development was not nearly as good during that time, which is one of the reasons why the Lakers had to give up the draft assets they did along with Ball and Ingram in the AD trade.  If those two came up under the current coaching staff (and had they both been a bit healthier), I think their progress in purple & gold would have been much greater.

Losing Randle for nothing was suboptimal, but at the time the Lakers were valuing cap space in looking at the 2019 off-season.  Given that Randle was someone who functioned best with the ball in his hands and was a career 25% 3-point shooter at that time, having him on a team that just signed Lebron wasn't the best fit.  
Maybe look at there draft history next time. They got nothing for Russell or Randle. 

That was my point though. They are horrible at player development. All those guys got exponentially better when they left. 

Wusses lol. How is the product watered down? The NBA is playing at the highest skill level ever. I think Covid is mostly to blame for the decline interest. The NBA was at all time highs before this. 
COVID has nothing to do with this.  No other sport has stars sit out for rest like the NBA.  Baseball used to be maybe sit a catcher in the back half of a doubleheader or a day game following a night game.  But what started as minutes management with Kawhi and others has turned into an epidemic.  One that is destroying basketball for the regular season.  You could spend $1000 to take your family to a game only to find out that 3-4 healthy starters are sitting out.  Sorry, that's a huge problem.  Silver is a smart man.  They know they have to fix this.

Maybe look at there draft history next time. They got nothing for Russell or Randle. 
Since your post quoted the one that had Randle, Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma, I thought you were referring to those players. 

The Lakers let Randle walk for nothing and had to trade Russell away to get Timofey Mozgov's contract off the books (though they also got the pick which became Kuzma in the deal), which was another example of how Jim Buss, and to a lesser extent Mitch Kupchak, were failing at their jobs.  

Since your post quoted the one that had Randle, Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma, I thought you were referring to those players. 

The Lakers let Randle walk for nothing and had to trade Russell away to get Timofey Mozgov's contract off the books (though they also got the pick which became Kuzma in the deal), which was another example of how Jim Buss, and to a lesser extent Mitch Kupchak, were failing at their jobs.  
Yeah. Those horrid Mozgov/Deng contracts were something else :lol:

That was my point though. They are horrible at player development. All those guys got exponentially better when they left. 
Laughable.  Lakers horrible at player development.  News flash.  Young players, especially those highly drafted, tend to get better with time.  Randle and Russell were getting better while they were here.  Ingram too.  Clarkson developed while he was here.

COVID has nothing to do with this.  No other sport has stars sit out for rest like the NBA.  Baseball used to be maybe sit a catcher in the back half of a doubleheader or a day game following a night game.  But what started as minutes management with Kawhi and others has turned into an epidemic.  One that is destroying basketball for the regular season.  You could spend $1000 to take your family to a game only to find out that 3-4 healthy starters are sitting out.  Sorry, that's a huge problem.  Silver is a smart man.  They know they have to fix this.
Baseball does do this. Quite a bit actually. Plus comparing it to other sports is difficult because of the rules. Baseball isn't as physically demanding as basketball. Football plays once a week and with only 16 games they can't afford to take games off if they could they would like in week 17,  and hockey go 23ish players deep in 1 minute at a time shifts, basketball goes 8 to 10 in 8 to 12 minute shifts. 

Laughable.  Lakers horrible at player development.  News flash.  Young players, especially those highly drafted, tend to get better with time.  Randle and Russell were getting better while they were here.  Ingram too.  Clarkson developed while he was here
Yes, they do get better with time and still the Lakers did a horrible job with development. It isn't a coincidence they got much better after they left. Ingram turned in an all star level guy almost instantly after he left, so did Russell. Randle was with the Lakers for 3 years then left and started getting better and really broke out this year. 3 years getting dealt. Clarkson was horrible as Laker and probably worse as a Cavalier. He got good when he joined the Jazz (who are amazing at drafting and developing their players. )

Yes, they do get better with time and still the Lakers did a horrible job with development. It isn't a coincidence they got much better after they left. Ingram turned in an all star level guy almost instantly after he left, so did Russell. Randle was with the Lakers for 3 years then left and started getting better and really broke out this year. 3 years getting dealt. Clarkson was horrible as Laker and probably worse as a Cavalier. He got good when he joined the Jazz (who are amazing at drafting and developing their players. )
Clarkson’s last 2 years with the Lakers (after his rookie year), he averaged 15/4/3 with more than a steal and a three per game. Pretty impressive for the 48th pick and a year 2/3 player. His Utah numbers are obviously better, but he played very well as a laker. 

There was a narrative out there that all the young Lakers weren’t very good (the rumors of what they were offering for AD were laughed at until the deal was done). A lot of the “they instantly got better once they left the Lakers” was based on that narrative. Luke Walton definitely didn’t help things, as evidenced by how he is handling the young kings players.  The teams didn’t win much, but we got invested in watching the young guys develop, especially the later draft picks they had success with like Clarkson, Nance, Kuzma, and Hart. 

A big reason they didn’t keep Russell or Randle was to keep the cap clean for a superstar (which they failed at for a couple years before finally landing LeBron). 

All the Lakers fans I know love seeing how the young core is flourishing throughout the league because is was fun watching them grow as Lakers. 

Clarkson’s last 2 years with the Lakers (after his rookie year), he averaged 15/4/3 with more than a steal and a three per game. Pretty impressive for the 48th pick and a year 2/3 player. His Utah numbers are obviously better, but he played very well as a laker. 

There was a narrative out there that all the young Lakers weren’t very good (the rumors of what they were offering for AD were laughed at until the deal was done). A lot of the “they instantly got better once they left the Lakers” was based on that narrative. Luke Walton definitely didn’t help things, as evidenced by how he is handling the young kings players.  The teams didn’t win much, but we got invested in watching the young guys develop, especially the later draft picks they had success with like Clarkson, Nance, Kuzma, and Hart. 

A big reason they didn’t keep Russell or Randle was to keep the cap clean for a superstar (which they failed at for a couple years before finally landing LeBron). 

All the Lakers fans I know love seeing how the young core is flourishing throughout the league because is was fun watching them grow as Lakers. 
It is a bit of hyperbole to say instantly, but I am not breaking down all there careers in a 4 page post. 

They didn't keep Russell because of a social media incident with Nick Young.

Bad players can average better stats on bad teams because of opportunity. Plus Clarkson played 32 minutes a game that year. He has averaged around 24 or 25 since. 

The Lakers have drafted 2 all stars that have been Lakers when they made all star teams in the last 20 years. With all draft capital they have had that is really bad. 

If you are a Laker though who cares? You won the title. I said it was a nitpick in my first post. 

KD leaving the game with a thigh contusion.  :sadbanana: Just put the big 3 in a bubble until playoff time, good lord. 
it looks like he just has a bruise on his thigh, but i can't tell if his legs are this fragile, or if the Nets are just being ultra conservative with him.

looking at that standings at this point, it seems like it is getting close to mathematically impossible for any of the top 3 teams in the East to fall out of the top 3. Nets seem to be taking the approach like the 1st round will be like the regular season for them to work with all 3 of their guys on the floor together, and the actual playoffs will start in round 2 with the Bucks, and Eastern finals with Philly. 

It was awesome seeing Derrick Rose light up Nola and I'm not a Knicks fan.  I think I'm going to find myself rooting for them to upset some folks in the East.  
what's even a little funnier than that was hearing Zion Williams post-game interview where he said MSG was his favorite place to play, outside of New Orleans. Knicks fans have to be loving that and hoping the Knicks start to plan to see if they can get Zion at any point 

When did Russell become good?  I mean that was addition by subtraction (sorry @Frostillicus)

Anyway...Time to hang the 6 in a Row banner!  I'm pretty sure Lonzo was tanking to get to NYC!

It was awesome seeing Derrick Rose light up Nola and I'm not a Knicks fan.  I think I'm going to find myself rooting for them to upset some folks in the East.  
not gonna happen. Knicks are hustling in a league where players equate not hustling to status, until playoff time.

Rose is playing good but maaaan - he looks like he was just released from death row after a botched execution...

Of course the Celtics lose to the lowly Bulls at home after running through 6 better teams.

Brown, RobWilliams and Walker all sat out.  Tatum with first career triple double, but only 12 pts.

Of course the Celtics lose to the lowly Bulls at home after running through 6 better teams.

Brown, RobWilliams and Walker all sat out.  Tatum with first career triple double, but only 12 pts.
I didn't watch the game, but the box score shows Brown played 38 minutes. Typo?

Steph Curry now has 21 career games with 10 or more made 3's. Doesn't seem like a lot until you see Klay is second with 5 games and Curry is a career 43 percent 3 point shooter on that kind of volume. Crazy. 

Not sure how Brown sat out and had 23 points, but amazing that Tatum was allowed to stay in the game when he went 3 for 17 shooting. I guess this may have finally been the game where the rest of the team told him he should pass it a little more 

Not sure how Brown sat out and had 23 points, but amazing that Tatum was allowed to stay in the game when he went 3 for 17 shooting. I guess this may have finally been the game where the rest of the team told him he should pass it a little more 
I only watched the very end and Brown wasn't in.  I assumed he wasn't playing (he was questionable coming in).  Baffled as to why he wasn't in the game over the last minute unless he got reinjured was on a minute's restriction or fouled out.

I only watched the very end and Brown wasn't in.  I assumed he wasn't playing (he was questionable coming in).  Baffled as to why he wasn't in the game over the last minute unless he got reinjured was on a minute's restriction or fouled out.
Just read a tweet he is having his left shoulder looked at.  Must have gotten banged up before the end.

Also, I missed that Smart was held out tonight as well 

I know very few if anyone cares about the Pistons, but they are too dumb to even tank right. If they get the 6 or later pick I am going to need a new team. 
What else do you want them to do? They are sitting all the vets and playing a bunch of guys under 22. 

The problem is - those young guys are good. Frank Jackson is a 2 way player who is playing really well. Same with Cook.

I mean - I want the Pistons to get a top 5 pick. But they had such a great draft this year and Weaver has done such a good job retooling this team, that its hard for them to tank.

What else do you want them to do? They are sitting all the vets and playing a bunch of guys under 22. 

The problem is - those young guys are good. Frank Jackson is a 2 way player who is playing really well. Same with Cook.

I mean - I want the Pistons to get a top 5 pick. But they had such a great draft this year and Weaver has done such a good job retooling this team, that its hard for them to tank.
It was mostly a frustration post. I assume since you follow the Pistons you live in Michigan or at least follow our teams. The last 15ish years of bad luck in the draft lotteries or winning meaningless games at the end of the year has hurt our teams and is extremely frustrating. I really want it to change this year especially with the guys at the top of this draft. 

It was mostly a frustration post. I assume since you follow the Pistons you live in Michigan or at least follow our teams. The last 15ish years of bad luck in the draft lotteries or winning meaningless games at the end of the year has hurt our teams. Really want it to change this year especially with the guys at the top of this draft. 

I grew up there but live in Texas now. Follow all the Detroit teams still. 

I hear you, though. They need another piece - a stud. If they could get a top 5 pick this year, in a couple of years they may really have something. I think the Pistons are the closest of the Detroit teams to being good. But, as you said, they need one more piece. A stud.

Nuggets signed Austin Rivers to a 10 day. He might be the starting PG for most the remainder of the regular season with Murray out for the year and Morris out for a good while with a pulled hammy.

They started Facu at going last night and the Grizz were leaving him open. He's making a decent % of his threes on the season (.373 and nearly 3/4 of his shots are from 3) but he's only shooting 5.5 per 36 and they are mostly open. The team needs a guard that is at least a bit of a threat off the dribble and somebody that will at least be guarded at the 3 point line so the team isn't playing 4 on 5 offensively. It's unfortunate that the Nuggets will be reliant on a 10 day contract player to play a pivotal role on what should have been a championship contender.

Users who are viewing this thread