What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (13 Viewers)

Oubre >> Simmons >>>> Tatum
yes this stuff is wonderful. Thankfully for Sixers' fans, all of the NBA experts in this thread realize it is as simple as trade Ben and everything will be fine.

Ben was obviously the only Sixers still playing when they blew both of these huge leads, and all Morrey needs to do is look at a stat sheet to see who has higher ppg, and simply trade for that guy.

Thanks everybody, problem solved  :nerd:

I always wondered how it's even possible for Doc Rivers led teams to blow 3-1 leads in series so many times. Now I see it. He lets his teams fall into a sense of comfort that they've already won, compounds that by not making any adjustments when the other team starts to comeback, then he full on panics right as they're about to blow it to ensure his players are so confused and scared that they forget how to play basketball altogether.

Hope Atlanta ends it in 6.
the whole Doc thing is getting pretty worrisome. I certainly defer to him knowing how to play and coach, but even in his presser after the game he says at 1:55 that one of the issues the Sixers were having is that they were trying to attack match-ups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUAUr-j__bY&ab_channel=HouseofHighlights

i am likely completely wrong, but how you see Trae and Lou Williams on the court and you don't think to attack both of those guys is confusing to me to say the least

Jayrod said:
Kara Lawson is also a top option for Boston.  Becky Hammon's name is getting thrown around as well.  If there isn't a female coach hired this year, could easily be just a season or two away.

Curious to know what the players would honestly think.  The NBA is more progressive than the other pro leagues, but it still feels like a big leap to make in the hyper-macho environment of professional men's sports.
I think it's just a matter of time. 

Listening to a New Orleans beat writer yesterday, he said the players REALLY love and respect T-Spoon. Zion and Kira Lewis especially. And he mentioned she had done some coaching as well. I had to look it up. I had forgotten she was the head coach at LA Tech (where she played college ball and led them to a national title) for a few years, and was fairly successful. And she had a pretty good WNBA career as well, of course. So she knows the game from both sides and has succeeded at both as well.

I always wondered how it's even possible for Doc Rivers led teams to blow 3-1 leads in series so many times. Now I see it. He lets his teams fall into a sense of comfort that they've already won, compounds that by not making any adjustments when the other team starts to comeback, then he full on panics right as they're about to blow it to ensure his players are so confused and scared that they forget how to play basketball altogether.

any in game adjustments he makes are either too late or wrong.  his rotations are strange and make little sense.  rolls with too many all bench lineups.   also hope they end it in 6

They don't give up.

Trae Young is making it worse for Sixers fans. You have this 5'5" goblin yet he has to carry his balls around in a wheel barrow. He refuses to give up or back down against men a foot and a half taller than him....shades of Iverson (it's early to compare Young to a Great...but who cares).  Meanwhile, we got Ben Simmons; a giant of a man whose body was carved on Olympus and placed in the "Professional Basketball Player" career bin......but he's so mild,meek and tender.... he makes Hodor in Game of Thrones look like The Mountain. 

I'll root for ATL against the Nets.  
I always thought it was more of Splinter from the ninja turtles. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't give up.

Trae Young is making it worse for Sixers fans. You have this 5'5" goblin yet he has to carry his balls around in a wheel barrow. He refuses to give up or back down against men a foot and a half taller than him....shades of Iverson (it's early to compare Young to a Great...but who cares).  Meanwhile, we got Ben Simmons; a giant of a man whose body was carved on Olympus and placed in the "Professional Basketball Player" career bin......but he's so mild,meek and tender.... he makes Hodor in Game of Thrones look like The Mountain. 

I'll root for ATL against the Nets.  
This is both accurate and hilarious.

I was anti-Young for his career so far.  He seems like a D-bag, but I was smiling when he kept shooting daggers into the hearts of Philly.  I only watched the last few minutes.  When I turned it on, the Hawks were down 6 and had the ball and I started laughing because I knew the Sixers were in trouble.  Sure enough, 2 TY buckets cuts it to 2 and then full blown panic sets in and even the struggling Travis Bickle knocked down a big shot to finish them off.

Clippers non-stars played great tonight.  Morris, Jackson and Mann all with big games and PG was solid all game.

This one really surprised me.  Mitchell is far from 100% and tried to force it a lot tonight.  He just couldn't get it done with a bad leg.
it's almost like the Jazz got figured out, innit?

Love Terrance Mann. Go Noles. 
you'd know better than me, but does the Leonard Hamilton FSU program seemingly crank out more than their fair share of NBA ready players?  i feel like all these dudes come in well-rounded, ready to go and compete.

there doesn't seem be a steep curve and they don't seem to flame out.

maybe it's all in my imagination.

you'd know better than me, but does the Leonard Hamilton FSU program seemingly crank out more than their fair share of NBA ready players?  i feel like all these dudes come in well-rounded, ready to go and compete.

My uneducated take is FSU and Hamilton are hardnosed and tough, play fantastic defense and are usually in great shape.  Teams can definitely use players like that and they can immediately come in an contribute and have a role.  Their skills are as obvious at FSU because their offense usually stinks, I don't think Hamilton does a great job improving their offensive skills and there's usually 3-4 of them on the same team.

It was on TV. Kramer was busting on his FT % - and then they showed a graphic showing the Sixers has a 99.7(?) predicted win chance late in the third quarter.
The Hawks chance of winning was a classic hockey stick chart

i dont watch much college ball but Univ of VT made it into the tourney in '19 and drew FSU 1st round. i was so impressed with the Noles (Mann, Kabengele - who i still think will be a useful pro - & a 7 1/2 ft African named Christ) i followed em til they lost to Zags in the Sweet 16. Very get-after-it team whose shooting ran hot & cold, but i was highly impressed with their pro style

ETA: Mann was quite ball-dominant on that squad and could probably bring it up with this Clips team if they didnt wanna go pbev/vjax in the backcourt

funny that i kind of felt the same way, but with every single national NBA media glowing gleefully with the Sixers last 2 losses, and laughing about how bad they have been makes me feel that it would be a little justified for them to come back and win the next 2. 

i don't even want to watch the game on Friday, but hearing the interview with Larry Brown who seems to have some idea what he is talking about here makes it feel like the team is not a complete dumpster fire and know's what is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR3MO0OTzsU&ab_channel=NBCSportsPhiladelphia

Maybe it will work if Doc let's Cassell or Burke coach the 4th Q on Friday, maybe Danny Green   :shrug:

Is Gobert's defense worth his offense? In this series anyway (and I have not looked at the advanced analysis to provide more evidence) it sure seems like he's an overall liability, especially when the Clippers go small.

Is Gobert's defense worth his offense? In this series anyway (and I have not looked at the advanced analysis to provide more evidence) it sure seems like he's an overall liability, especially when the Clippers go small.
Insert Simmons for Gobert and we have the Sixers problem.

In regards to Ben Simmons, I think there comes a point where you accept a player is not capable of certain things. There's no argument to be made at this point. He just cost you a 20 point lead.

You cannot start Ben Simmons in the 4th Quarter and being benched is the one thing that may actually motivate him to practice his craft. He's officially entered Shaq territory.

IMO yes, especially considering the alternative. Favors is their only other playable center and has yet to post a positive +/- this series. Utah loses ground pretty much every  time Gobert leaves the game.

Absolutely. He's often the best defender and rebounder on the floor. It's a lot easier to cover the 3 point line, when you've got a monster of a man monitoring the paint.

Last night was a big hodgepodge of Paul George's career being disappointing, meets trap game, meets Vegas rig job. The Jazz now have a whole game of tape of how to defend the "new look" Clippers. I liked the spark I saw in PG13's eye last night. He's supposed to be a high volume player carrying a team on his back.

The whole "dynamic duo" thing is overrated. Some players need to be able to put up 15 to 20 shots a game, every game. Paul George is waaaay better suited playing superman than tag team. I think a team's dynamic is just better when they're an actually team and not a mish, mash of superstars.

In regards to Ben Simmons, I think there comes a point where you accept a player is not capable of certain things. There's no argument to be made at this point. He just cost you a 20 point lead.

You cannot start Ben Simmons in the 4th Quarter and being benched is the one thing that may actually motivate him to practice his craft. He's officially entered Shaq territory.
It is worse than Shaq really.  Shaq wasn't scared to get the ball and try to score. They should have just left Shake and Thybulle out there.

It just seemed that Embiid and Curry were running a two-man game and everyone else stood around.  Didn't even try to get open or go for a rebound.

Did anybody else catch Kenny talking the other night about closing a game out and making FTs and then using Shaq as an example?  The look on Shaq’s face :lmao:  

it's different with Simmons. i'm told he shoots FTs twice as good w his other hand, which happens to be his natural hand, btw.

that's why, as an advocate for his exceptional talent for longer than anyone here and for the entertainment of those who reveled in my formal Borderline Personality Disorder analysis of Kyrie Irving a coupla yrs ago, i'm going back to the diagnostic manual to suggest that Simmons might be an autistic savant - yes, like Rain Man.

i remember as far back as his LSU days, when his coach kept yelling at him to start the offense high. without a hint of it being from ego, Ben didn't stop until he was running the Tiger offense from the spot on the floor where PJTucker shoots treys.

then, in his second year with the Sixers, i'd watch him on D and sensed that, oblivious to the actual play as it occurred, he was "practicing" his peripheral vision, seeing how far he could get from the action while still being able to respond to it at shot time. this resulted in the next year him being always halfway between what was happening and what could happen, which has what has made him one of the best defensive (and THE best @ zone) players in the game. 

it's literally ALL in his head. he's counting all the toothpicks but cant add 1 + 3. the terrible coaching of Brett Brown (and imperial nature of Embiid) "forced" him away from finding a two-man game with his fellow superstar when that was the natural thing; the call for him to expand out to shooting treys in his early years "forced" him to not only avoid them like the plague but actually get worse @ deuces; and the attention on his free throws has made him "want" to get worse&worse at it so that his self-concept can be just as far as possible from the public concept of him. combine that with the faraway look in his eyes and the more placidly he acts the worse it gets, and i'm pretty sure there's something dramatically Aspergerish at play making him such an assburger.

Woah!

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Rick Carlisle -- who led Dallas to the 2011 NBA championship -- informed Mavericks owner Mark Cuban today that he won't be returning as coach next season, Carlisle told ESPN. Carlisle had two years left on his contract. He spent 13 seasons as Mavericks coach.

3:07 PM · Jun 17, 2021

Woah!

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Rick Carlisle -- who led Dallas to the 2011 NBA championship -- informed Mavericks owner Mark Cuban today that he won't be returning as coach next season, Carlisle told ESPN. Carlisle had two years left on his contract. He spent 13 seasons as Mavericks coach.

3:07 PM · Jun 17, 2021
Will Cuban call this bull#### too?

It is worse than Shaq really.  Shaq wasn't scared to get the ball and try to score. They should have just left Shake and Thybulle out there.

It just seemed that Embiid and Curry were running a two-man game and everyone else stood around.  Didn't even try to get open or go for a rebound.
are we forgetting that teams have 5 guys on court? Even Seth Curry who was hitting great shots the whole time, was letting old man Lou Williams score at will. 

it is insane that every loss seems to be all on Simmons shoulders. like everybody else on the team has no role on losing these last 2 games? I don't get how everybody wants to constantly say Ben is worst player of all time, and all the team needs to do is trade Ben and everything will be fine and normal. 

I agree Ben has been embarrassing the last 2 games. But the whole team has too. Look at Doc's record:

2003 Magic: Blew a 3-1 lead to the Pistons, though to be fair this was a 1-8 matchup. Still, 3-1

2009 Celtics: Blew a 3-2 lead to the Magic

2010 Celtics: Blew a 3-2 lead to the Lakers

2012 Celtics: Blew a 3-2 lead to the Heat

2015 Clippers: Blew a 3-1 lead to the Rockets, losing the last three by no less than 12 points

2020 Clippers: Blew a 3-1 lead to the Nuggets, after Denver had been through a seven-game series the previous round.

2021: 2 of the biggest losses in a team's history after 2 of the biggest losses blown

are we forgetting that teams have 5 guys on court? Even Seth Curry who was hitting great shots the whole time, was letting old man Lou Williams score at will. 

it is insane that every loss seems to be all on Simmons shoulders. like everybody else on the team has no role on losing these last 2 games? I don't get how everybody wants to constantly say Ben is worst player of all time, and all the team needs to do is trade Ben and everything will be fine and normal. 

I agree Ben has been embarrassing the last 2 games. But the whole team has too. Look at Doc's record:

2003 Magic: Blew a 3-1 lead to the Pistons, though to be fair this was a 1-8 matchup. Still, 3-1

2015 Clippers: Blew a 3-1 lead to the Rockets, losing the last three by no less than 12 points

2020 Clippers: Blew a 3-1 lead to the Nuggets, after Denver had been through a seven-game series the previous round.

2021: 2 of the biggest losses in a team's history after 2 of the biggest losses blown
Doc can't handle pressure and neither can Ben. 

Doc can't handle pressure and neither can Ben. 
Ben did sink the 2 FTs when they first started hacking Ben in the 4th. And he had missed plenty with no pressure to get more points so I don’t think his issue is with pressure. 

The NBA is a star driven league and Simmons is supposed to be the second “star” on this team. Of course he’s going to bear the brunt of criticism when the team loses - especially in the fashion they lost, and especially when his FT% was ridiculously bad and he scored zero baskets in the second half.

Im not trying to pile on but that’s just how it goes in today’s NBA.

There has been a lot of chatter and debate about this series in Greater Boston over the last decade. The league still had a 2-3-2 format for the finals back then. The Celtics were ahead 3 games to 2 after 5 games . . . and then lost the last two games on the road in LA. They got hammered in Game 6. But Game 7 was tied with 6 minutes left in the game and they ended up losing by 4 points. The Lakers were 45-8 at home that year and they had already beaten LA on the road in the series. Is that really "choking away" the series when you had to win a road game to win? To me, the home team should be expected to win, so I don't really count this as one of Doc's choke jobs like some of the others.

Are the Philly fans in here representative of the Philly fan base as a whole in terms of being insanely defensive and overly emotional as it relates to anything negative about their team or players?  Yeesh.  

I’d rather be a Wolves fan than be lumped in that pool.  
Not really. I'd say it's about 80-20 today of extremely pissed off to the defensive group. 

Are the Philly fans in here representative of the Philly fan base as a whole in terms of being insanely defensive and overly emotional as it relates to anything negative about their team or players?  Yeesh.  

I’d rather be a Wolves fan than be lumped in that pool.  
Philly fans have always struck me as more "only WE get to trash OUR players" than insanely homerish

Thinking Bucks will win this one tonight.

Bud may be coaching for his job.

Force the ball out of KD's hands and attack Harden on defense.

Pass the ball more than once on offense...oy

i don't think i have ever seen so many people so gleeful and happy when a team loses. There is like 1-2 Hawks fans in here and like 30+ anti-Sixers fans.  :kicksrock:
Maybe because it was the way they went about losing a how a lot of Sixers went about acting like there was a guaranteed titled at the end of this?  :shrug:

I mean for me personally living here and seeing trends with where I work I will say the team has the biggest bandwagon fanbase of them all and incredible annoying. I have everyday customers I've seen for yrs coming in now with 76ers gear who just 3 seasons ago had Lebron Jerseys on Warrior jerseys, etc claiming they were "big fans of those teams." I also think they are the most sensitive group of fans in the city. And considering the stories I've heard of the guy from former Managers it makes me sick seeing people put a guy like AI on a pedestal constantly. Talented player but absolute garbage trash human being who the organizations and fans enabled his behavior and why he is where he is today. On top of all of that they traded my favorite Player in Jerry Stackhouse all because AI wanted to act like a baby. 

Users who are viewing this thread