What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (3 Viewers)

modogg said:
in other news, when did Blake Griffin become such a punk? I think this is becoming the modern NBA where vets go and soak up millions of dollars and smaller market teams, and basically "player tank" until they get bough out and then they actually go hard when they can be surrounded by superstars. Pretty weak picking a fight with Sadiq Bey because Harden dropped 40 on the PItons and now Griffin wants to act tough with his former team
Blake has always been this way. he was with the Clippers with CP3 and the rest of the players who acted like punks and whined all the time. Its why a lot of people didn't like the Clippers back then. Not sure if this was a Doc Rivers thing or the organization telling him to allow it but a lot of those guys were sore losers and loved to whine. 

Instinctive said:
It's not that strange; the Pistons suck and teams could pack the paint and double him always. The Nets are amazing and he gets all the free open things. I could score 6 points a game on that team.

The thread turns to poison because you often post really idiotic things. Try to channel your All NBA draft thread self a little more and people probably react more nicely.
ehh, i will agree Tatum >> Oubre. Sticking to Ben Simmons is a legit all-star though.

and i hate the cherry picking and focusing on all negative, that isn't a ton of fun. Really am curious what is up with KD's injury? seems he has been out awhile and keeps getting re-checked, and wondering if there is any news out there about what exactly his injury is. and if it is debilitating, i feel for the guy because i do think KD had the chance to be as good as Lebron. 

adding, please don't run to a computer and write Lebron >> KD. I just wanted to say KD had a lot of talent and has had some bad injuries, and it is a shame if he can never shake that

Just trying a bunch of stuff to see what works IMO. After the Harden trade, the cupboards were bare at PF/C.
I’m assuming that takes them out of the Drummond “race”, but who knows at this point. Surprised Aldridge didn’t go to Miami. 

Seems like KD/Irving/Durant are making the calls in Brooklyn. Gorgui Dieng is the guy they should sign. They don't need offense, they need somebody who is a half way decent defender that can stay out of the way on offense and hit open jumpers.

If it makes you feel any better, none of them are any good. Most everybody that ends up on the buy out market is an end of the rotation player 90% of the time.
I get that, but what playoff team wouldn't claim someone like Blake Griffin or Andre Drummond?  These guys have value in the right playoff matchup.  They suck on teams going nowhere, but are getting PAID.  It's almost like they are playing themselves off bad teams and on to good teams.  

I get that, but what playoff team wouldn't claim someone like Blake Griffin or Andre Drummond?  These guys have value in the right playoff matchup.  They suck on teams going nowhere, but are getting PAID.  It's almost like they are playing themselves off bad teams and on to good teams.  
Yeah, but they don't have value. Aldridge and Griffin are net negatives, especially for a new coach with players that are clearly influencing decisions, because they'll get more minutes than they deserve. Signing Aldridge and Griffin decrease the Nets' title chances, not increase them. 

Drummond might be a slightly different case because he's a lot younger and a positive offensively, but he's just so atrocious defensively, and has no idea how to positively impact winning basketball. Plus he's going to come in and do dumb #### like attack his defender off the dribble from the top of the key, not focus on defending the rim, boxing out, and getting easy buckets near the hoop.

The good guys to grab are the younger dudes without as much influence (like a Dieng) because they are generally better players, but more importantly, you can sit them if the matchup isn't good or they aren't playing well. 

Drummond to the Lakers makes no sense. Harrell and Gasol (even shell of his former self Gasol) are better players and when AD is playing center, he's the best center in the league. I don't really see the matchup that Drummond would be useful.

Drummond to the Lakers makes no sense. Harrell and Gasol (even shell of his former self Gasol) are better players and when AD is playing center, he's the best center in the league. I don't really see the matchup that Drummond would be useful.
You get him on the cheap to block him from others. 

Lakers need some healthy minutes eaters right now. They’ve been getting killed on the boards lately too. Gasol just got back from having a pretty bad case of covid too so he’s not back to full speed (for him) yet. 

I don’t see Drummond getting a huge role in the playoffs, but they just need more bodies right now to get them there. 

Drummond might be a slightly different case because he's a lot younger and a positive offensively, but he's just so atrocious defensively, and has no idea how to positively impact winning basketball. Plus he's going to come in and do dumb #### like attack his defender off the dribble from the top of the key, not focus on defending the rim, boxing out, and getting easy buckets near the hoop.

The Lakers have had trouble generating offense with the 2nd unit. I figure they'll see if he can help with that.

modogg said:
nope. was simply one sentence out of a few up there. I do think Blake Griffin probably put in 60% effort while with Detroit, particularly this year, working his way toward a buy-out. Now that he has that buy-out, he is trying to play like normal again

Just a pretty slimy thing to do to not put any effort into a team that paid you well, and treated you well with a buy out so you could go where you wanted. he repays his former teammates by yelling at them and trying to pick a fight with them on the court, in particluar a rookie who is around 15 years younger than Blake is. 

So i don't think all players do this, but i do think Griffin is a bit of a bum for doing it
he went from being an aging vet, who has lost his peak athleticism, being the lead on a ####ty, ####ty team with an abominable roster around him to playing with Kyrie and Harden, plus Joe Harris spacing the floor and a roster that actually belongs in the NBA.

of course he looks better. he doesn't have to even be the 4th option. there are too many other problems to worry about.

you may or may not have noticed that role players on these types of teams always look way better than they actually are. they put up numbers, get to FA, get paid elsewhere and revert back to their true form. 

playing with two (soon to be three) HoF players on the floor at the same time tends to get the 4th or 5th guy easy looks and easy baskets even if he's half dead and sucked on a #### team previously.

WRT Drummond, I'm sure he can offer something in the regular season to the Lakers, especially as Davis is still going to be out a bit. But, once the games get real, you have a guy who thinks of himself as an all-star that's probabaly the 5th best PF/C on the roster. 

it really is interesting watching Dwight Howard shoot FTs. i don't think i have ever seen someone so happy/surprised when it actually goes in

he went from being an aging vet, who has lost his peak athleticism, being the lead on a ####ty, ####ty team with an abominable roster around him to playing with Kyrie and Harden, plus Joe Harris spacing the floor and a roster that actually belongs in the NBA.

of course he looks better. he doesn't have to even be the 4th option. there are too many other problems to worry about.

you may or may not have noticed that role players on these types of teams always look way better than they actually are. they put up numbers, get to FA, get paid elsewhere and revert back to their true form. 

playing with two (soon to be three) HoF players on the floor at the same time tends to get the 4th or 5th guy easy looks and easy baskets even if he's half dead and sucked on a #### team previously.
This. And as far as the little dust up with Bey, if it was the play I am thinking of, "picking a fight" is way overstating what happened. Bey went right by Griffin and drew the foul from him, and then while Griffin was facing the side (probably complaining even though the foul was obvious), Bey walked into him, bumping shoulders, and Griffin pushed him away. Looked like Bey knew what he was doing and the whole thing was over with a quick exchange of words. 

He might have a reputation for putting on a tough guy act, but this was one of those things every player in the league would do. Only reason it was news was because it was his old team, IMO.

I hope Luke Kornet sticks with the Celtics because I heard him referred to as the "Green Kornet".

That nickname cannot go to waste. 
love the idea - Celtic Nation shonuff comes up wih em - problem is he dont pronounce Kornet like "hornet", so i dont think it'll track. plus, i'm still a lil warm that folks didnt commit to calling Payton Pritchard "8Mile"

ETA: when the matchups work, Kornet might be an interesting stretch4 when TimeLord's on the floor. Rob picks and Luke pops

Last edited by a moderator:
love the idea - Celtic Nation shonuff comes up wih em - problem is he dont pronounce Kornet like "hornet", so i dont think it'll track. plus, i'm still a lil warm that folks didnt commit to calling Payton Pritchard "8Mile"

ETA: when the matchups work, Kornet might be an interesting stretch4 when TimeLord's on the floor. Rob picks and Luke pops
Gotta trade him to Charlotte then.

speaking of debuts w new teams, last nite's award goes to Daniel Gafford w the Wizzes. only 14 minutes, and he was always better when you werent counting on him than when you were w da Bulls, but he banged, boarded & blocked to the tune of 2 DFS pts per minute. that's Jokic/Rob Williams territory. f'r'instance, Moses Brown's 20/20 game on Saturday "only" avgd 1.5/min. time for Scotty to bench him...

modogg said:
in other news, when did Blake Griffin become such a punk? I think this is becoming the modern NBA where vets go and soak up millions of dollars and smaller market teams, and basically "player tank" until they get bough out and then they actually go hard when they can be surrounded by superstars. Pretty weak picking a fight with Sadiq Bey because Harden dropped 40 on the PItons and now Griffin wants to act tough with his former team

modogg said:
nope. was simply one sentence out of a few up there. I do think Blake Griffin probably put in 60% effort while with Detroit, particularly this year, working his way toward a buy-out. Now that he has that buy-out, he is trying to play like normal again

Just a pretty slimy thing to do to not put any effort into a team that paid you well, and treated you well with a buy out so you could go where you wanted. he repays his former teammates by yelling at them and trying to pick a fight with them on the court, in particluar a rookie who is around 15 years younger than Blake is. 

So i don't think all players do this, but i do think Griffin is a bit of a bum for doing it
You literally couldn't be more wrong if you tried. 

Blake was nothing but a pro for the Pistons. He didn't want to be traded there after signing a max extension with the Clippers like 6 months earlier. 

His first full season with the Pistons he was 3rd team all NBA and led a horrible roster to the playoffs. 

He then tried to comeback way to quickly from an injury towards the end of the regular season and that was a huge mistake and probably hurt him even more in the long run against a team they had no chance of beating. Much like Grant Hill or Brandon Roy. 

The whole dunk thing and sitting out is overblown. His injuries have taken his athleticism and trying to get open for a dunk when you are the only weapon on a bad team vs. what the Nets have. Plus it might have been 2 actual years, but it was like 40 games for Blake. Most of them while playing hurt

He also didn't force his way out of Detroit, the new front office made this decision. Blake never once asked for or tried to force a trade. He came to play everyday he could and gave it his all and he tried to change the culture by calling out players like Reggie Jackson for being a clown too much. 

You literally couldn't be more wrong if you tried. 

Blake was nothing but a pro for the Pistons. He didn't want to be traded there after signing a max extension with the Clippers like 6 months earlier. 

His first full season with the Pistons he was 3rd team all NBA and led a horrible roster to the playoffs. 

He then tried to comeback way to quickly from an injury towards the end of the regular season and that was a huge mistake and probably hurt him even more in the long run against a team they had no chance of beating. Much like Grant Hill or Brandon Roy. 

The whole dunk thing and sitting out is overblown. His injuries have taken his athleticism and trying to get open for a dunk when you are the only weapon on a bad team vs. what the Nets have. Plus it might have been 2 actual years, but it was like 40 games for Blake. Most of them while playing hurt

He also didn't force his way out of Detroit, the new front office made this decision. Blake never once asked for or tried to force a trade. He came to play everyday he could and gave it his all and he tried to change the culture by calling out players like Reggie Jackson for being a clown too much. 
:goodposting:  sounds good, i didn't follow him too much. only saw bits and pieces, and was dissapointed when he squared up with Saddiq Bey in their game the other night. Glad Pistons' fans don't hate him though

Seems like KD/Irving/Durant are making the calls in Brooklyn. Gorgui Dieng is the guy they should sign. They don't need offense, they need somebody who is a half way decent defender that can stay out of the way on offense and hit open jumpers.
bummer seeing Dieng go to the Spurs.

Marc Stein@TheSteinLine

Gorgui Dieng intends to sign with San Antonio upon clearing waivers, according to league sources.

i'm guessing he will get good playing time there, but i was really hoping Sixers would get him. Hope he does well with San Antonio though, guy does have a career on the upswing

Gordon looked good in a Nuggets uniform last night (I think the Jokic/Murray/Gordon/MPJ minutes were something like 135 ortg and 95 drtg). I think the deciding factor on if the trade is an A or a B will be if he can hit closer to 40% of his threes than 30% for the next 1.5 years. He was 1/4 last night, but I think things will look up going forward as Gordon has been about a 37-38% three point shooter off the catch for the last 4 years and he shouldn't be taking a single three off the dribble from now until he is no longer a nugget.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/29/blake-griffin-cant-help-but-laugh-at-nets-darth-vader-status/?utm_source=reddit.com

“It’s kind of funny to me, because for the last couple years all I’ve heard is how bad I am. You sign with this team and everybody’s like, ‘That’s not fair!’ ” Griffin said when asked by The Post about the strong reactions. “People say whatever they want. I don’t put a whole lot of value in other people’s opinions.

“I trust the people I trust. If I don’t go to you for advice, then I’m probably not going to take your criticism. So I have that circle of people and I have that group of people that I trust, real basketball people. That’s who I listen to. I just think it’s funny. I guess you could say it’s amusing. I can’t speak for LaMarcus; I don’t know what people have been saying about him. That’s how I felt when I came here. I was hearing how bad I was, and now people care for some reason.”

Fournier with a scoreless 32 minutes :unsure: . Rough debut. 0-10 from the field with 2 airballs  

And that was w/o Jaylen Brown in the lineup.

Good game vs the Celtics last night! We tried our best to give it away near the end, but hung on barely. 

that was hard to watch. it's what happens when a player's closing 30 before he plays his first ball that matters
 I didn't get to watch it.

Glad I missed it.  The Celtics keep coming *this* close to coming back and winning.  Getting to be a trend, and not a good one.

So after the trade today, the Nuggets roster is:

PG - Murray, Morris, Campazzo, Howard

SG - Will Barton, PJ Dozier

SF - Porter Jr

PF - Gordon, Millsap, Green, Nnaji, Cancar, Bol, Clark, Wittington

C - Jokic, McGee

They needed one more trade to balance out the roster - there are way too many PF/Cs and not enough wings.
early returns (one game, lol) have this looking pretty solid.....the immediate insertion of Gordon into the starting lineup over Millsap is a huge upgrade IMO only.....Gordon checks almost all of the boxes this team was missing, and that doesn't include what McGee will bring.....scoring is not really going to be an issue most nights, its the defense and Gordon and McGee improve that dramatically....for those that watch the Nuggets they also know that Campazzo is a hugely underrated part of the rotation....dude is a baller and a great "find/get" by the Nuggets organization....it actually feels like he takes over a game sometimes defensively and running the show on offense....he has no problem guarding the other teams best perimeter player and is often one of those irritating pests that won't go away....he gets up in your grill and doesn't leave...Millsap and Green responded well off the bench when called upon....Nnaji can give solid minutes too...

I think the Nuggets hit it out of the park at the trade deadline....the starting 5 are legit and they have above average backups.....Morris coming back will be gravy....this team likes each other and they play for each other and I think that is a testament to the culture that Malone has created.....we saw the resiliency and fight this team showed last year coming back from down 3-1 to the Jazz and Clippers.....IMO these moves will show them being true title contenders by the end of the season.....MPJ and Gordon knocking down threes may ultimately be the difference offensively and the defense now should be much much better.... 

early returns (one game, lol) have this looking pretty solid.....the immediate insertion of Gordon into the starting lineup over Millsap is a huge upgrade IMO only.....Gordon checks almost all of the boxes this team was missing, and that doesn't include what McGee will bring.....scoring is not really going to be an issue most nights, its the defense and Gordon and McGee improve that dramatically....for those that watch the Nuggets they also know that Campazzo is a hugely underrated part of the rotation....dude is a baller and a great "find/get" by the Nuggets organization....it actually feels like he takes over a game sometimes defensively and running the show on offense....he has no problem guarding the other teams best perimeter player and is often one of those irritating pests that won't go away....he gets up in your grill and doesn't leave...Millsap and Green responded well off the bench when called upon....Nnaji can give solid minutes too...

I think the Nuggets hit it out of the park at the trade deadline....the starting 5 are legit and they have above average backups.....Morris coming back will be gravy....this team likes each other and they play for each other and I think that is a testament to the culture that Malone has created.....we saw the resiliency and fight this team showed last year coming back from down 3-1 to the Jazz and Clippers.....IMO these moves will show them being true title contenders by the end of the season.....MPJ and Gordon knocking down threes may ultimately be the difference offensively and the defense now should be much much better.... 
I agree with all this. It was so good to see the Nugs do something at the trade deadline and go for it. The playoffs are going to be all about positioning--right now it would be a Lakers/Nuggets first round match-up. I am sure the rest of the conference would love to see that happen. 

dumbest bet of the month, by far, was taking Sixers +5 tonight. Should have just given $100 to charity or something  :kicksrock:

dumbest bet of the month, by far, was taking Sixers +5 tonight. Should have just given $100 to charity or something  :kicksrock:
Luckily the Sudoku dude bet on Philly to be down 22 after the first quarter.

But man, we are getting smoked.  44 first quarter points????

Luckily the Sudoku dude bet on Philly to be down 22 after the first quarter.

But man, we are getting smoked.  44 first quarter points????
If this is the Denver team in the playoffs, i'm not sure who can take them. they were hitting close to everything, and Sixers already look tired. Took Sixers +15 in live betting for 1st Q too  :bag: .

Also grabbed Nuggets over 120.5 which they may hit by half

Would love to know who sets these schedules, Take an East Coast team for a 5 game road trip in 8 days, and end that road trip in high altitude Denver. Thee guys looked gassed in the 1st Q

Fournier with a scoreless 32 minutes :unsure: . Rough debut. 0-10 from the field with 2 airballs  

And that was w/o Jaylen Brown in the lineup.
I learned of this fact about 5 minutes before hearing Simmons say on his podcast that he would add up all the minutes of the guys Fournier would be collectively replacing, and those three guys over 45 minutes would go 1-8 for 2 points...and he just had to beat that! 

If this is the Denver team in the playoffs, i'm not sure who can take them. they were hitting close to everything, and Sixers already look tired. Took Sixers +15 in live betting for 1st Q too  :bag: .

Also grabbed Nuggets over 120.5 which they may hit by half

Would love to know who sets these schedules, Take an East Coast team for a 5 game road trip in 8 days, and end that road trip in high altitude Denver. Thee guys looked gassed in the 1st Q
Not a good betting day for you.  +15 first quarter, +5 game, and over 120 Denver all didn't hit.

I still can't believe that Michael porter Jr. didn't go in that 2018 draft until 14th. i'm not sure if other teams would have been as patient to let him recover, but man that was a smart pick by Denver

Users who are viewing this thread