Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Emotional Ben Simmons offers solemn promise to spend offseason practicing rebounding thousands of missed free throws daily

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GUESS WHAT I AM DOING TODAY??????                 Going to see the Knicks @ Clippers in staples -- wooot wooot, been so long. then... heading for mali

Hickory dickory dock, Ben’s 3 bounced off the shot clock. OH!

Guys, this thread sucks every year. 

On 4/30/2021 at 2:18 PM, Jayrod said:

5. Hawks - I just don't like Trae Young.  He's another guy who's attitude doesn't seem to match his accomplishments like Embiid but plays like a poor man's Harden.

Yes!  Hawks are competent enough for somebody to root against us!  Trust the process.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, thecatch said:

You are just talking about how ugly it looks, right?  Because he's shooting >40% on >5 attempts per game.  Not exactly a Ben Simmons situation.

yes. strictly visually. it looks like a kid who isn't strong enough to get the ball to the hoop trying to shoot at halftime of his dad's game.

almost like Phil Rivers saying he shot-puts the ball because that's how he learned to throw when he wasn't strong enough to actually throw a full size football.

that's how everybody shot/threw before they were strong enough, but then they modified their shot/throw as they got older.

looks like Haliburton just stuck with the 8 year old jumper.

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

yes. strictly visually. it looks like a kid who isn't strong enough to get the ball to the hoop trying to shoot at halftime of his dad's game.

almost like Phil Rivers saying he shot-puts the ball because that's how he learned to throw when he wasn't strong enough to actually throw a full size football.

that's how everybody shot/threw before they were strong enough, but then they modified their shot/throw as they got older.

How does an 8-year-old increase strength by shooting out the top with no dip and no legs?  Most 8 year olds shoot from their ankles to generate power.

41 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

Fair. He gets it off quickly and it goes in - he could shoot it underhanded for all I care. I still remember everyone gushing over Ben McLemore’s perfect shooting mechanics…the only problem was that he couldn’t make anything (early in his career at least) to save his life. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Deamon said:

Ya everyone loves to speak up once it affects them (Lebron, Dallas).

At first I liked the play in tournament, and then I hated it, and now I'm not sure how I feel.

What's not to love?  There's a huge improvement in the quality of games we're seeing after the All-Star break.  Even this season with a tighter schedule, pandemic crowds, etc.  There are so many more teams with something to play for and it's shows on the court.  Plus we'll get six 'March Madness' style games.  I'm hoping the NBA eventually allows the #1 seed in each conference to also choose their opponent as well.

12 hours ago, Uncle Leo said:

What has happened to JA Morant this year. He has not been the same since the injury. So inconsistent. To think there was a point where I really believed he was the best player from last year’s draft.

This seems to ebb and flow based on health more than anything.  Ja Morant has that Derrick Rose quick twitch/putting his body at risk injury concern.  He's a nightly highlight player that still has deficiencies on defense and needs to improve his outside shot.  Those same areas of concern also are there with Zion Williamson.  However, his injury concerns appear more foundational to his body.  His game is like a young Charles Barkley, but can he stay healthy long enough to eventually be in a 1993 Phoenix Suns like team situation?

If Zion breaks down, and Ja improves those two areas of concern, you could very well switch back to Morant a few years from now.  Sadly, that would mean Zion was injured along the way. Williamson has the higher upside, but these better player debates tend to be won by which player stays healthier for longer.  See Bird v Magic, Jason Kidd v Grant Hill, Durant v Oden (okay, maybe that one wasn't just due to health...lol), etc.

38 minutes ago, thecatch said:

Fair. He gets it off quickly and it goes in - he could shoot it underhanded for all I care. I still remember everyone gushing over Ben McLemore’s perfect shooting mechanics…the only problem was that he couldn’t make anything (early in his career at least) to save his life. 

McLemore always had a decent shot from 3, he just had some real struggles from inside the arc. His strengths were really accentuated in that Hardin Rockets offense, and his time there probably extended his career quite a bit.  Even today he stretches the court for stints off the Lakers bench, but you don't want him driving.

Edited by trader jake
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, trader jake said:

McLemore always had a decent shot from 3, he just had some real struggles from inside the arc. His strengths were really accentuated in that Hardin Rockets offense, and his time there probably extended his career quite a bit.  Even today he stretches the court for stints off the Lakers bench, but you don't want him driving.

He has generally been basically a league-average (or worse, at times) 3 pt shooter, which didn't exactly match his rep as a silky-smooth shooter coming out of college.  His struggles inside the arc I think are exacerbated by his ballhandling skills - I'm not sure I've ever seen a guard with worse handles.  

1 hour ago, Navin Johnson said:

How does an 8-year-old increase strength by shooting out the top with no dip and no legs?  Most 8 year olds shoot from their ankles to generate power.

most 8 year olds heave from their waist, too  :shrug:

15 hours ago, Uncle Leo said:

What has happened to JA Morant this year. He has not been the same since the injury. So inconsistent. To think there was a point where I really believed he was the best player from last year’s draft.

Dame was like this a couplefew yrs ago. All he had was ungodly drive/jam and pop trey skills and he worked the game for chances to exhibit both no matter what it had to do with the outcome. that's why it didn't add up to Ws of substance. Stotts never did help Lillard integrate it and Jenkins is even worse for Morant cuz he doesnt coach any D at all, which is about the only way players learn gamesense anymore. more of game-v-win occurs to Dame each year and one can hope a similar light will flicker in JAM. Point guards are the only position both born & made, and the makin' aint too stellar these days.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Uncle Leo said:

He is incredible. Westbrook has 18 Rebounds and 20 Assists. He has 10 points on 3/4 shooting. There are still 10 plus minutes left in the 4th. This guy is a super star. Love following him just for stats.

Westbrook's numbers have only gotten better since they brought in Gafford and Hutchinson.  Two athletic guys that can throw it down in the paint.  I didn't even know who they were casue CHI sucked so bad.  But that's looking like a great trade.  Plus it saves me from watching Lopez do his 8 step Fred Flintstone dance in the paint before he tosses in a jump hook from 12 inches.

Brooks still sucks.  He still has no idea who his best 8 players are.  He still has no sets for anyone except Beal.  He still can't get players to cover the high pick and roll right.  Although I will give him credit for putting Neto in the starting lineup.  He tried Matthews there.  Ditched that and went with Neto and the extra ball handling has made them even faster.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Westbrook's numbers have only gotten better since they brought in Gafford and Hutchinson.  Two athletic guys that can throw it down in the paint.  I didn't even know who they were casue CHI sucked so bad.  But that's looking like a great trade.  Plus it saves me from watching Lopez do his 8 step Fred Flintstone dance in the paint before he tosses in a jump hook from 12 inches.

Brooks still sucks.  He still has no idea who his best 8 players are.  He still has no sets for anyone except Beal.  He still can't get players to cover the high pick and roll right.  Although I will give him credit for putting Neto in the starting lineup.  He tried Matthews there.  Ditched that and went with Neto and the extra ball handling has made them even faster.

Since you watch a lot of Wizards ball, what are your thoughts on Avdija? The box score stats seem to indicate a disappointing season but I don't think I actually saw him play at all. At the very least, did it look like he has a place in the NBA? Asking for a friend who "lucked" into an autographed rookie card of his. :oldunsure: 

1 hour ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Brooks still sucks. 

boy, does he. Brooks' inconsistent mgmt of his younger players' minutes would have put me thru at least 3-4 screens if they were my home team. even tho it took him less than a season to understand that running around cuz you dont know what Russ will do is better than standing around cuz you dont know what Russ will do, his rotations havent gone the same way twice in a row. and, if a scrub has consecutive good games in spite of that you can almost guarantee that the coach will go another direction the next game. heck, i might break this screen just thinking about watching em...

i watch every minute of these back to back nets bucks games wondering the all the while what it looks like with Harden. I can't be sure but I suspect a massive difference in favor of Brooklyn. 

20 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Thank you Milwaukee.

Working out nicely for Philly. Part of me (including my wallet) wants to see the big three crush everything in their path. Like the Warriors a few years back. It's been my expectation all season. On the other hand, I would enjoy seeing Doc have both Philly/Boston rings (lol). He's done a great job this year after watching his team meltdown last year.

I believe was you who asked if it isn't better to face the Clippers or Suns. Clippers are the better option. There's something wrong with them.

• Like 1

Had some serious deja vu with Nash not calling a timeout during an 18-1 Bucks run. Atkinson did this routinely, always let situations get out control. Get well soon Harden!

P.S. Jordan is bootycheeks. 

13 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

i watch every minute of these back to back nets bucks games wondering the all the while what it looks like with Harden. I can't be sure but I suspect a massive difference in favor of Brooklyn. 

regular season vs playoffs, too

some teams are pushing hard in the regular season, some aren't pushing as hard. there's gamesmanship. some teams hold back their playbook in these matchups and others throw the kitchen sink at em thinking they'll gain a mental edge by winning.

• Like 1

Some dude just dropped $20 000 on the Hawks winning the NBA title at 100-1, and $20 000 on the Hawks winning the ECF at 40-1, for a total payout of 2.2 Million.

Is he from the future?

• Laughing 1
55 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Some dude just dropped $20 000 on the Hawks winning the NBA title at 100-1, and $20 000 on the Hawks winning the ECF at 40-1, for a total payout of 2.2 Million.

Is he from the future?

Maybe he thinks it's like college where one player can get hot and carry you in the tournament. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Deamon said:

Is he from the future?

Not happening but right now they have a decent shot at the 4 seed - NY schedule is tough and the Hawks hardest game was tonight and they are blowing out the Suns.

If you aren’t going to take one of the big 3 in the East then the 4 seed seems like a decent bet.

Just now, AAABatteries said:

Not happening but right now they have a decent shot at the 4 seed - NY schedule is tough and the Hawks hardest game was tonight and they are blowing out the Suns.

If you aren’t going to take one of the big 3 in the East then the 4 seed seems like a decent bet.

I guess so, for small money. 40k is huge!  

1 hour ago, Deamon said:

What's with all these crazy high scoring games lately?  Teams are hitting 130+ points regularly these last few weeks.

They aren't playing defense.   Good teams are taking a bit easy waiting for the playoffs.  Bad teams have players who just want to put up stats so that their contract value goes up.  Etc.  

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

They aren't playing defense.   Good teams are taking a bit easy waiting for the playoffs.  Bad teams have players who just want to put up stats so that their contract value goes up.  Etc.  

yup, exactly what i was going to post. that and players are just hunting stats, popping 3s all over the place, etc. 

it has been the way of the NBA for years now, wondering if it will stay around or not

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

You have to believe that the Knicks, Hawks and Celtics all desperately want to avoid the 6 seed where they will have to face either the Bucks or Nets in the 1st round.  Right now Knicks are at the #4, Hawks are 0.5 games back at the #5 and the Celtics are 2.0 back at the #6.  Their remaining games are:

NYK - @PHX, @LAC, @LAA, SAS, CHA, BOS (avg win% = 57.5%...4/6 vs teams with winning records)

ATL - @IND, WAS, WAS, ORL, HOU (avg win% = 38.6%...all 5 games vs sub .500 teams)

BOS - @CHI, MIA, MIA, @CLE, @MIN, @KYK (avg win% = 44.0%...50/50 winning/losing teams)

My prediction is that the Hawks go 4-1 to finish (41-31) and secure the #4 seed.  I think the Knicks will go 2-3 (39-32) and Celtics go 4-1 (39-32) coming into their last game against each other with the #5 seed on the line.  The Knicks own the tiebreaker over the Hawks, having won all 3, but the BOS/KYK tiebreaker will also come down to that last game.

I'd love to see it all come to that last game where the Knicks could conceivably be in a position to land anywhere from the #4 to the #6 on the last day.  I don't see the Celtics having much of a chance at the #4 or the Hawks at risk for the #6 with their schedules right now.

ETA:  The Heat are also in the mix with the same record as Boston and with the following schedule:  MIN, @BOS, @BOS, PHI, @MIL, @DET (49.5% avg Win%).  I predict them going 3-3 and staying at the 7 seed.  The Celtics won their first meeting, so MIA would have to win both in Boston to get the tiebreaker.

Edited by Jayrod
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

You have to believe that the Knicks, Hawks and Celtics all desperately want to avoid the 6 seed where they will have to face either the Bucks or Nets in the 1st round.  Right now Knicks are at the #4, Hawks are 0.5 games back at the #5 and the Celtics are 2.0 back at the #6.  Their remaining games are:

NYK - @PHX, @LAC, @LAA, SAS, CHA, BOS (avg win% = 57.5%...4/6 vs teams with winning records)

ATL - @IND, WAS, WAS, ORL, HOU (avg win% = 38.6%...all 5 games vs sub .500 teams)

BOS - @CHI, MIA, MIA, @CLE, @MIN, @KYK (avg win% = 44.0%...50/50 winning/losing teams)

My prediction is that the Hawks go 4-1 to finish (41-31) and secure the #4 seed.  I think the Knicks will go 2-3 (39-32) and Celtics go 4-1 (39-32) coming into their last game against each other with the #5 seed on the line.  The Knicks own the tiebreaker over the Hawks, having won all 3, but the BOS/KYK tiebreaker will also come down to that last game.

I'd love to see it all come to that last game where the Knicks could conceivably be in a position to land anywhere from the #4 to the #6 on the last day.  I don't see the Celtics having much of a chance at the #4 or the Hawks at risk for the #6 with their schedules right now.

Agree with all that - and after the Hawks play Indiana all their remaining games are at home.  I don't think the Hawks beat any of the top 3 in the East or Boston in a series so I'm hoping the Knicks end up with the 5 seed.  The Hawks are a fun team to watch and if Bogdanovic and Gallinari are hitting their shots they be a tough matchup for teams.  Capella and Collins can rebound and let Trae do his thing.  The team is deep - missing two early season guys that got a lot of minutes in Hunter and Reddish.  But, the NBA is more about superstars and we have a borderline one at best in Young and then a lot of solid pieces everywhere else.  I'd love to go back in time and swap Young for Doncic and see where we were.

Posted (edited)

Also, you know the Bucks & Nets both would much rather have the #2 and face a play in team instead of one of the four teams above off of rest.

Their schedules:

Bucks - HOU, @SAS, ORL, @IND, MIA, @CHI (40.1% avg win%...only 1 winning record)

Nets - @DAL, @DEN, @CHI, SAS, CHI, CLE (47.2% avg win%...2 vs winning records)

I can see the Bucks winning out and they also have the tiebreaker after beating the Nets twice in the last week.  The Nets could theoretically win out, but I doubt they beat both Dallas & Denver on the road without Harden.

I think the 76ers will finish with the 1 seed since they have a 2 game lead and are facing the following schedule: NOP, DET, @IND, @MIA, ORL, ORL.  That is only one game against a team with a winning record and only two teams currently slotted as play-in teams.

I predict the following final standings in the East:

1.  PHI - (49-23)
  2. MIL - (47-25)
  3. BKN - (46-26)
  4. ATL - (41-31)
  5. BOS - (40-32)
  6. KYK - (39-33)
  7. MIA - (38-34)
  8. CHA - (35-37)
  9. IND - (33-39)
  10. WAS - (32-40)

Edited by Jayrod
  • Like 1

Jaylen Brown expected to be out again tomorrow, but return for Boston on Sunday.

35 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

7 game slate today. Every game has playoff implications. Brooklyn Dallas and LA LA the key games. It's literally one day at a time to the wire. I love the play-in format. 

I do too as it adds more urgency to the teams in the 5-8 range and gives hope to the 9-11 teams.

I also like that it will add another advantage to the top 2 seeds so we will be more likely to see the best teams in the Conference Finals.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jayrod said:

Also, you know the Bucks & Nets both would much rather have the #2 and face a play in team instead of one of the four teams above off of rest.

I can see the Bucks winning out and they also have the tiebreaker after beating the Nets twice in the last week.  The Nets could theoretically win out, but I doubt they beat both Dallas & Denver on the road without Harden.

Plus Brooklyn has a winning record so Dallas should play like the best team in the NBA. When they visit Cleveland this weekend, however, expect two Cavs wins.

5 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

7 game slate today. Every game has playoff implications. Brooklyn Dallas and LA LA the key games. It's literally one day at a time to the wire. I love the play-in format. 

i knew that +4 on Charlotte looked awfully shady. couldn't stay away and of course they are getting lit up by Chicago

5 minutes ago, modogg said:

i knew that +4 on Charlotte looked awfully shady. couldn't stay away and of course they are getting lit up by Chicago

zach and vuc come back together, i just stayed away. 

i know it's been mentioned before, but doncic is becoming a draymond. not his game, his constant whining. sheesh, incredible talent, annoying to watch for only this reason. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Deamon said:

We're going to have a one-game Warriors vs Lakers play-in game and it's going to be amazing.

Slightly more amazing if they end up in 7th and 9th and have to play in the second play in game.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2021 at 3:52 PM, caustic said:

Since you watch a lot of Wizards ball, what are your thoughts on Avdija? The box score stats seem to indicate a disappointing season but I don't think I actually saw him play at all. At the very least, did it look like he has a place in the NBA? Asking for a friend who "lucked" into an autographed rookie card of his. :oldunsure: 

First, he is a very good defender for a rookie.  They've put him on the other teams best player numerous times, including against LeBron.  He's held his own.  Needs to get stronger, but he has talent on D that will make him a good NBA player for years.

On O he's not in a great situation IMO.  Beal and Westbrook dominate the ball.  And when that happens it's all about the energy you bring to go get it on your own (a la Neto and Gafford).  Frankly I think Deni played too smart, if there is such a thing.  He makes the right pass.  He takes the right shot.  He does what the coach asks and stands in the corner.  He's an adequate 3-point shooter, but he's better with the ball in his hands.  And he's not gonna get it the way the Wiz play.  So I think he's gonna be lost in this offense for a couple of years unless Brooks gets the ax or he takes it on himself to operate outside the offense and risk ticking off his coach.

Edited by Brunell4MVP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, zoobird said:

Slightly more amazing if they end up in 7th and 9th and have to play in the second play in game.

True.  But I feel like the Lakers would win a 7/8 game against Memphis.

:( 

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Pelicans star Zion Williamson has a fractured left ring finger and will be sidelined indefinitely, team says.

4:04 PM · May 7, 2021

• Sad 3

Kemba just got a tech for bouncing the ball hard after a play.  He literally just dribbled it once hard and caught it.

If they call that BS they better not let LeBron or Draymond run up and down the court flailing the arms after every call in the playoffs.  I'm all for reigning in the complaining and arguing, but Kemba wasn't even looking at a ref when he did it.

5 hours ago, Deamon said:

This makes me nervous.

Vegas odds has it:

Brooklyn Nets+240
Los Angeles Lakers+350
Los Angeles Clippers+500
Utah Jazz+700
Milwaukee Bucks+750
Philadelphia 76ers+1200
Phoenix Suns+1400

So a LOT different from the above analytics link.

cracks me up. surprised they don't throw the C's up there too. love these mainstream teams and the national media loves pushing. just have to hope the refs don't call the games according to the odds

2 hours ago, Jayrod said:

Kemba just got a tech for bouncing the ball hard after a play.  He literally just dribbled it once hard and caught it.

If they call that BS they better not let LeBron or Draymond run up and down the court flailing the arms after every call in the playoffs.  I'm all for reigning in the complaining and arguing, but Kemba wasn't even looking at a ref when he did it.

and crowder gets a t for looking at ny's bench after a three. curry does it and we laugh... hmmm

seems they need to write very very specific rules regarding these techs.

too lazy to find the thread...... on Simmons latest podcast, while discussing All-NBA, said it wasn't possible to classify Luka as a guard & that he could reasonably make all-NBA in one of the forward slots.

i...... what?

• Capella changed the title to 2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Emotional Ben Simmons offers solemn promise to spend offseason practicing rebounding thousands of missed free throws daily