What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (6 Viewers)

I still can't believe that Michael porter Jr. didn't go in that 2018 draft until 14th. i'm not sure if other teams would have been as patient to let him recover, but man that was a smart pick by Denver
He played like three games in college.  He basically hadn't played basketball for a year and was going to need even more time to recover.  I think people had visions of Greg Oden and Sam Bowie and just felt the risk was too high for some of the earlier picks.  That said, there have been some average to poor players that were picked ahead of him.

no great miss, for all the talent. MPJ's gonna have to do some work before he's not a liability in a 7-game series. i move my feet better and i'm 67 and weigh 350 lbs
I think this is a little harsh....his D was certainly bad last year....but he has really improved this year....I watch every game, teams do try to go at him sometimes, but that is not happening as much....plus Gordon will be assuming the toughest matchup in that size area....teams may try to make him switch onto the tougher matchup, but he will have help.....and to be honest, before the trade he was probably the best overall rebounder and shot blocker on the team.....dude is legit and should only keep getting better....

Nets are atop the Eastern conference for the first time since 2003!  :towelwave:

Griffin +23 tonight, Claxton +19. Jordan (-16) is looking pretty unplayable right now.

Dateline: March 31, 2021, Minneapolis

As we enter the fourth quarter, Wolves trail the Knicks 81-70.

Anthony Edwards re-enters the game with 10:03 remaining. Wolves trail 86-75.

7:14 left. Edwards steals a pass by Alec Burks and scores with the foul. Makes the tree throw. Wolves trail 92-85.

6:05 left. Edwards sneaks behind an unaware Elfrid Payton and takes the ball away, dunks. Wolves trail 94-90.

3:33 left. Jaden McDaniels misses a 3, Edwards tips it back in. Wolves trail 96-94.

2:17 left. Edwards attacks the basket and is fouled, making 1 of 2. Wolves trail 98-95.

1:48 left. Edwards creates his own shot and hits the jumpber. Wolves trail 98-97.

1:16 left. Edwards attacks the basket and loses his man for an easy dunk. Tie game at 99.

38 seconds. Edwards again attacks and loses his man, the help defense collapses and he hits Malik Beasley for an open 3. Wolves lead 102-101.

26 seconds left. RJ Barrett turns the ball over when Edwards picks his pocket and teh ball hits Barrett and rolls out of bounds.

11 seconds left. Julius Randle misses a jumper, as the rebound heads towards Taj Gibson, Edwards leaps over him and deflects the ball to KAT. Wolves win 102-101. 

THAT.  WAS.  AWESOME. The last two minutes the entire offense was Edwards and he was unstoppable. He's a more athletic Dwyane Wade (potentially). Long way to go and all that, but damn.

7:14 left. Edwards steals a pass by Alec Burks and scores with the foul. Makes the tree throw. Wolves trail 92-85.

6:05 left. Edwards sneaks behind an unaware Elfrid Payton and takes the ball away, dunks. Wolves trail 94-90.

3:33 left. Jaden McDaniels misses a 3, Edwards tips it back in. Wolves trail 96-94.

2:17 left. Edwards attacks the basket and is fouled, making 1 of 2. Wolves trail 98-95.

1:48 left. Edwards creates his own shot and hits the jumpber. Wolves trail 98-97.

1:16 left. Edwards attacks the basket and loses his man for an easy dunk. Tie game at 99.

38 seconds. Edwards again attacks and loses his man, the help defense collapses and he hits Malik Beasley for an open 3. Wolves lead 102-101.

26 seconds left. RJ Barrett turns the ball over when Edwards picks his pocket and teh ball hits Barrett and rolls out of bounds.

11 seconds left. Julius Randle misses a jumper, as the rebound heads towards Taj Gibson, Edwards leaps over him and deflects the ball to KAT. Wolves win 102-101. 

THAT.  WAS.  AWESOME. The last two minutes the entire offense was Edwards and he was unstoppable. He's a more athletic Dwyane Wade (potentially). Long way to go and all that, but damn.
I had Knicks -3.5, didn't think it was as cool  :kicksrock:

Wait, you watched at least a quarter of a Wolves game?!   :X

I watch too much Wolves because of Edwards. I'd trade Towns now and build around ANT.
Also, I’m glad to hear that you’re so in on Edwards.  I still fear he’s going to be a volume scorer that doesn’t do much else to impact games.  But I also have to remind myself that he’s still just 19 years old too.  Pretty amazing when you think about it.

I still can't believe that Michael porter Jr. didn't go in that 2018 draft until 14th. i'm not sure if other teams would have been as patient to let him recover, but man that was a smart pick by Denver
He played like three games in college.  He basically hadn't played basketball for a year and was going to need even more time to recover.  I think people had visions of Greg Oden and Sam Bowie and just felt the risk was too high for some of the earlier picks.  That said, there have been some average to poor players that were picked ahead of him.
you know who else played three games in college michael air jodan thats who take that to the bank brohan 

you know who else played three games in college michael air jodan thats who take that to the bank brohan 
So, something I didn't know about MJ....

When he was in college, the NCAA was just experimenting with the 3-pt line and some conferences tried it out over a season or two.  They didn't go full time with it until the 1986-87 season.  Apparently, Jordan played some games his sophomore year ('82-83) with the 3-pt line in place.  According to basketball reference, he went 34 for 76 from three to shoot 44.7% for his NCAA career.  His NCAA career FG% was a stellar 54.0% as well.  I know his college career is a bit over-hyped due to his NBA success, but he was still a pretty dang good college player.

Last edited by a moderator:

When he was in college, the NCAA was just experimenting with the 3-pt line and some conferences tried it out over a season or two.  They didn't go full time with it until the 1986-87 season.  Apparently, Jordan played some games his sophomore year ('82-83) with the 3-pt line in place.  According to basketball reference, he went 34 for 76 from three to shoot 44.7% for his NCAA career.  His NCAA career FG% was a stellar 54.0% as well.  I know his college career is a bit over-hyped due to his NBA success, but he was still a pretty dang good college player.
will be adding that little tidbit to the all-time draft breakdown. Thank You :)  

SWC said:
this is where you and me part ways bromigo take that to the bank
His game on Monday against the Pacers was one of the best of his career, which is saying something. if he can just be a mediocre shooter rather than downright awful he’s still incredibly valuable and can be an all-NBA type of player (3rd team still counts)

He’s a lot more fun when he’s not on your team though, that’s for damn sure 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
SWC said:
this is where you and me part ways bromigo take that to the bank
His game on Monday against the Pacers was one of the best of his career, which is saying something. if he can just be a mediocre shooter rather than downright awful he’s still incredibly valuable and can be an all-NBA type of player (3rd team still counts)

He’s a lot more fun when he’s not on your team though, that’s for damn sure 
i like watching him play to be honest i just with he wasnt such a knucklehead he was a complete jerk allegedly to milwaukee media in days past who knows maybe he had turned a page there but mostly i was just disagreeing that he is not the best ever but i only say that because of the time the big o spent here in brewtown who russ is sort of a later day poor mans version of in fact take a look at thier stats next to eachother on stathead or basketball reference and its pretty close but oscar was better and i just liked the o man better but thats just me talkin anyhow take that to the bank brohans 

Jayrod said:

i believe the 82-3 line (that and a time-clock were optional to each conference and not used during the NCAAs) in the ACC was 17'9", so that's no real biggie.

Jayrod said:

Each conference had their own 3-point line at various ranges.  You can see the ACC line on the NCState 30-for-30.  It was a semi-circle that cut at least a foot under the top of the key, ie less than 19 feet, probably 18

ETA---looks like wikkid beat me to it

Hey NBA Thread gang. We’re starting to move into the modern era in our All Time NBA Draft judging. If anyone is interested in helping us rank teams, we are now up to the 90s teams. The rosters and team writeups are in the last page or two of our thread (mixed in with some arguing about the 80s rankings). 

If you’re interested, shoot me a PM with the teams ranked 1 through 16. I’ll pull all the rankings together and release the consolidated results. It’s anonymous unless you want to share your rankings yourself (after the combined results are released of course).  90s rankings are due end of day tomorrow. We’ll be judging of the 00s and 10s teams next week. 

With the team with the John Stockton / Michael Jordan backcourt be able to compete with the Terrell Brandon / Isaiah Rider backcourt?  Only one way to find out. 

Aldridge looked pretty solid tonight. Definite upgrade over Jordan (who got DNP-CD) this evening. Jordan does nothing but get in the way (can't space the floor), can't be played end of games, isn't their best big man defender even with Allen gone (Claxton). Only reason he's on that team is because he's buddies with KD. He sucks and has for many years. They could pull Amare off the coaching staff and he'd be an upgrade over Jordan.

At some point the nuggets play a full game and stop coasting 1/2 way through, right?

Gordon defense is legit.

Aldridge looked pretty solid tonight. Definite upgrade over Jordan (who got DNP-CD) this evening. Jordan does nothing but get in the way (can't space the floor), can't be played end of games, isn't their best big man defender even with Allen gone (Claxton). Only reason he's on that team is because he's buddies with KD. He sucks and has for many years. They could pull Amare off the coaching staff and he'd be an upgrade over Jordan.
He's a big that can still elevate and finish, you don't really need him to space the floor on offense.

The Nuggets' new starting lineup has an Ortg of 132.3 and a Drtg of 94.3. For reference, the best offense in the league this year (Nets) has an Ortg of 118.3 and the best defense (Lakers) has a Drtg of 106.1.

Obviously those won't maintain, but they also haven't practiced together yet. If the Nuggets can figure out their bench just a little bit, they are going to be dangerous.

Luka ends the night against the Knicks with one more tech (11 this year?)

Weird though. He was the first player i've ever seen get a tech for yelling "and one!" while scoring...but then a minute later was the first time I've seen a guy two handed jam, see nobody around and no danger of falling, and do a full on chin-up and rim shake with no tech. Makeup for the weird first one maybe.

Time 

Lord

ROBERT WILLIAMS, BOSTON CELTICS

Robert Williams set multiple career-highs and nearly triple-doubled in Friday's 118-102 win over Houston, racking up 20 points (9-of-9 FGs, 2-of-3 FTs), nine rebounds, eight assists, one steal and two blocks in 26 minutes. 

Good grief. Williams joins Nikola Jokic and Wilt Chamberlain (3x) as the only centers with a 20/8/8 game on 100% shooting in NBA history (h/t Statmuse). His defense and ability to put pressure on the rim offensively is well known, but his playmaking has really stood out too -- this was his 7th game in 2021 with at least four dimes. The Celtics struck out in the buyout market in their pursuit of LaMarcus Aldridge and Andre Drummond, but that’s great news for Williams as he’s set up to be an early-rounder the rest of the way even when Tristan Thompson returns. In the last two weeks, Williams ranks 33rd in 9-cat with 8.3 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 0.8 steals and 2.5 blocks even before this gem of a line. The sky's the limit.

Suns seem like a particularly tough team at home. If Lakers are not a top 4 seed i am not positive they will make it to the 2nd round

The Lakers will make it to the second round. 
i am pretty sure they will be favored with it, but think if they meet the Clippers or Nuggets in the 1st it may be a very significant test. 

I am more heavy following the East than the West so could be off, but even the Lakers with Lebron (minus AD) was not very impressive I know there is a significant difference between regular season Lebron and post-season Lebron, but i also think it would be irresponsible to not weigh the deep playoff runs of Heat and Lakers, combined with the age of their main guys, and how they may look by the time this squeezed schedule of regular season games looks and how they will be come playoff time. And hopefully they don't fall to the 7th seed and have to compete in the play-in round. 

Crazy stat I just saw on the twitters reflecting how much the game has changed. 

Kyle Kuzma is now 7th on the all-time Lakers list for made three pointers and he’ll probably move up to 5th by the end of the season. 
Unless KCP leap frogs him - KCP is a grand total of 1 three pointer behind.

modogg said:
i am pretty sure they will be favored with it, but think if they meet the Clippers or Nuggets in the 1st it may be a very significant test. 

I am more heavy following the East than the West so could be off, but even the Lakers with Lebron (minus AD) was not very impressive I know there is a significant difference between regular season Lebron and post-season Lebron, but i also think it would be irresponsible to not weigh the deep playoff runs of Heat and Lakers, combined with the age of their main guys, and how they may look by the time this squeezed schedule of regular season games looks and how they will be come playoff time. And hopefully they don't fall to the 7th seed and have to compete in the play-in round. 
There is an assumption that LeBron and AD will be 100% by the playoffs, which very well may not be true. If one or both aren't totally geared up for the playoffs, it may be a tough road. And it's far from a foregone conclusion that they avoid the play in tournament - they are only 3.5 up on the Mavs right now and they've got a really tough next 11 games where the only non-playoff team is CHA (now with Hayward out) and maybe NYK. If LeBron and AD aren't back, they'll certainly be an underdog in 9 games, probabaly 10, and possibly all 11.

There is an assumption that LeBron and AD will be 100% by the playoffs, which very well may not be true. If one or both aren't totally geared up for the playoffs, it may be a tough road. And it's far from a foregone conclusion that they avoid the play in tournament - they are only 3.5 up on the Mavs right now and they've got a really tough next 11 games where the only non-playoff team is CHA (now with Hayward out) and maybe NYK. If LeBron and AD aren't back, they'll certainly be an underdog in 9 games, probabaly 10, and possibly all 11.
Yeah, they might need the play in games to get everyone up to speed for the playoffs. Can’t believe they’re still favorites right now. 

Crazy stat I just saw on the twitters reflecting how much the game has changed

Kyle Kuzma is now 7th on the all-time Lakers list for made three pointers and he’ll probably move up to 5th by the end of the season. 
I like the stat of LaVine making more 3's in a game than the 82-83 Champion Lakers made all season

Jrue Holiday 4 years/$160 million
It is an overpay, but I love Holiday and he fits this team perfectly. Great defender can play on and off the ball. If he stays healthy I really think this is the only team can beat the Nets in the East and could win the title. 

The only thing holding the Bucks back might be lack of depth and maybe some shooting off the bench, but who knows the Lakers won last year with LeBron and AD and not much else. 

Edit: Now waiting for angry 76er fans too come in here and flame away about their team and how the whole world is against them. 

It is an overpay, but I love Holiday and he fits this team perfectly. Great defender can play on and off the ball. If he stays healthy I really think this is the only team can beat the Nets in the East and could win the title. 

The only thing holding the Bucks back might be lack of depth and maybe some shooting off the bench, but who knows the Lakers won last year with LeBron and AD and not much else. 

Edit: Now waiting for angry 76er fans too come in here and flame away about their team and how the whole world is against them. 
agree it's an overpay, but with Bucks giving up 2 1sts and 2 draft swaps in the deal for him it makes a lot of sense. next 4 years for the Bucks are kind of already calculated then after that it seems reset button will come. 

have to appreciate teams with a plan

Users who are viewing this thread