What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (7 Viewers)

Would actually be a really good signing to play some minutes at the 5. Still a quality low post defender. God knows they need something of resistance to BAM in the East. Had the Celtics signing him before free agency. Obvious caveat he comes at a reasonable price.

Didn't think he should have been getting as many minutes in Denver as he did because 1) They've got Jokic at the 5, 2) He's not as good as either of Grant or Porter (whose best spot is the 4) at this stage, 3) He's a 5 at this stage of his career.
Would help Celtics, but this will be the end of the Millsap's career. No depth at center, why would anyone want to go to Boston and get their bodies beat up all the time against Bam and Embiid and the rest of the big bodies. Was one reason why Horford left Boston was to not brutalize his body night in and out. 

Millsap's only a 5 in fantasy

ETA: the Green are going to spend however many days trying to talk Tristan Thompson (who eats them alive) into taking the MLE and then give it to the late Tommy Heinsohn's mancrush, Aron Baynes. if Sap wants in on the 3mil exception, they'll do it for leadership purposes

Last edited by a moderator:
Would help Celtics, but this will be the end of the Millsap's career. No depth at center, why would anyone want to go to Boston and get their bodies beat up all the time against Bam and Embiid and the rest of the big bodies. Was one reason why Horford left Boston was to not brutalize his body night in and out. 
It's the end of his career anyway :lol:  He's soon to be 36 in a couple months. Physicality is the game of Millsap's game of defense. Of all the guys Denver threw on AD in the WCF,  Millsap was the only sort of resistance to AD in their series....doing just that.

Celtics centers were passable last year until Bam in the ECF.  Bam was the reason they lost. They had zero resistance with him down low. Absolutely brutalized them. Millsap is still a very good low post defender. Far better there than anything else they currently have in that regard. 

Literally the only reason you sign Millsap at this stage is to combat Bam in the playoffs. Literally the only reason. Low post basketball is almost non-existent in today's NBA. Unfortunately that's where they lost vs. the Heat in ECF.

You aren't bringing in Millsap at this stage to play 30 minutes a night in the regular season. You slide him in a rotation with whatever other centers they have come opening night.

Woj:
Milwaukee has numerous moving parts on multiple fronts, so Connaughton's deal was reshaped to stay with Milwaukee.

🤨 "Moving parts on multiple fronts."

Rondo could be good for Dunn.
Rondo will be good for the whole organization if his teammates can get him to the playoffs.

We know what happens from there....

:excited:  

=================

Still can't believe Bulls let Dunn walk and gave that money to Valentine. I have to imagine they thought Dunn would get more in FA. He has his warts but he's one of the better defenders in the league.

With Porter/Young/Pat Williams, no clue where Valentine even fits on a 1-year deal. Just bizarre.

Rondo will be good for the whole organization if his teammates can get him to the playoffs.

We know what happens from there....

:excited:  

=================

Still can't believe Bulls let Dunn walk and gave that money to Valentine. I have to imagine they thought Dunn would get more in FA. He has his warts but he's one of the better defenders in the league.

With Porter/Young/Pat Williams, no clue where Valentine even fits on a 1-year deal. Just bizarre.
I agree with this K.C. Johnson article about why Karnisovas is making these moves.  Dunn is just too bad of an offensive player at this point. 

Woj:
Milwaukee has numerous moving parts on multiple fronts, so Connaughton's deal was reshaped to stay with Milwaukee.

🤨 "Moving parts on multiple fronts."
I read that by switching Pat's deal from 2 years to 3 years, he's now eligible to be included in a S&T.

I really don't wanna let myself get sucked into thinking that Bogi might still be in play...

The thing with Simmons is that he's 24 and no matter what you aren't getting the last 6 years back. He should be so much better than he is right now. He has a ton of untapped potential - it's definitely possible he could improve to the point where he has a better career than Tatum but it seems unlikely to me. Tatum is 22 and is in the right situation with an organization that seems to really prioritize player development. That matters.

Looks like Ibaka/Tristan Thompson/Gasol/Whiteside left in the middle. Guess you can throw Baynes/Giles out there too.

Bigs so far seem to be going around the $10 mil/yr range. Boston really needs to nab one. I don't know what their cap situation is but perhaps they're looking to grab one that falls around the range they got Kanter at last offseason (believe $5mil/yr). The first 4 obviously stand out but who knows that their price will be (and if TOR allows their 2 to even leave)

Edit: Actually all 4 of Ibaka/Gasol/Chris Boucher (restricted)/Hollis Jefferson are free agents for TOR. Got to imagine they retain at least 2 of them. Boucher seems like too much of a project at his age IMO. Would think he's the fall back option for them.

Free agent Carmelo Anthony is finalizing a deal to re-sign with the Portland Trail Blazers, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.
Sounds like Melo knows his role will change significantly as well with Covington there now and Hood back.

Think being run out of the league after Houston gave him his reality check. 

Looks like Ibaka/Tristan Thompson/Gasol/Whiteside left in the middle. Guess you can throw Baynes/Giles out there too.

Bigs so far seem to be going around the $10 mil/yr range. Boston really needs to nab one. I don't know what their cap situation is but perhaps they're looking to grab one that falls around the range they got Kanter at last offseason (believe $5mil/yr). The first 4 obviously stand out but who knows that their price will be (and if TOR allows their 2 to even leave)

Edit: Actually all 4 of Ibaka/Gasol/Chris Boucher (restricted)/Hollis Jefferson are free agents for TOR. Got to imagine they retain at least 2 of them. Boucher seems like too much of a project at his age IMO. Would think he's the fall back option for them.
Celts cant go past the 9.3 of their MLE without a S&T and they have no dead salary to do that with (their only 8fig players are Kemba, JBrown & Maaaacus Smaaaat)

I don't know how true this is but read ATL, NY, Charlotte were the only teams with more than $10 mil in cap space left. (Was before Hayward/Gallinari signings....but may impact that). 

Gotta think we're gonna see more 1) S&T,  2) resignings of the bigger names left, 3) Knicks paying for a bunch of 1 year deals they'll try to trade later in season for picks. 

Boston probably winds up with SOMETHING at center. My guess is Thompson or Whiteside (as I don't think either their current teams will pay a lot to keep them......though you never know :)  ). Whiteside with very good contract year in 19-20 but will always question his motivation. Toronto's in trouble if they let both Ibaka/Gasol both get away.....and I really wouldn't want to rely on only Gasol at this point if I were them.

Looks like Bogdanovic has either NY or ATL on open market if he wants paid. Or else he's gotta work with SAC with a S&T again. 

......Or SAC's gotta remember to converse with him about a S&T.

----

I really wonder what ATL is gonna do with all their depth on wings and if trade is gonna be in store for them. Signed Gallinari....have Capella & Collins upfront. Just drafted Hunter & Reddish last year (both had moments where they shined). Huerter/Young/Rondo/Dunn in backcourt. (And add Bogdanovic possibly)

Looks like Bogdanovic has either NY or ATL on open market if he wants paid. Or else he's gotta work with SAC with a S&T again. 

......Or SAC's gotta remember to converse with him about a S&T.

----

I really wonder what ATL is gonna do with all their depth on wings and if trade is gonna be in store for them. Signed Gallinari....have Capella & Collins upfront. Just drafted Hunter & Reddish last year (both had moments where they shined). Huerter/Young/Rondo/Dunn in backcourt. (And add Bogdanovic possibly)
ATL is down to about $18-20m to throw at Bogdan. I’m not sure they’ll want to tie the rest of their space up for a few days, or that Sacramento wouldn’t match that. Also not sold on the fit there. 

Capella said:
Going into next year who out west could take out the LeBrons? 

Warriors? They’re done now. 

Clips? Probably the best chance. They really choked in the bubble but that bubble was screwing with people. 

Nuggets? They’re fun as hell but nah. Not unless Porter or Bol makes some insane leap. 

Sun, Jazz, Blazers are all fun and likely good but no chance in a series. Rockets are dead. Really hard to imagine Lebron not winning the west again. 

In the East it seems like only Milwaukee and maybe Brooklyn if they get Harden could take them as well.
Did you miss the Wolves new big 3?

Can somebody please explain to me how Hayward could be worth 4/120?  I’m at a loss.
he's the best FA who was actually available in 2020. 4/120 was a ho-hum amount last year's free agent market. plus, just as no one was coming to Boston when Hayward signed w them, no one's coming to Charlotte of their own volition. there's extra value in that. i wouldnta done it, but that's why

Can somebody please explain to me how Hayward could be worth 4/120?  I’m at a loss.

he's the best FA who was actually available in 2020. 4/120 was a ho-hum amount last year's free agent market. plus, just as no one was coming to Boston when Hayward signed w them, no one's coming to Charlotte of their own volition. there's extra value in that. i wouldnta done it, but that's why
I also think it is important to wait until the details of the deal come out. I think i saw somewhere the 1st years is like $34 million (which he would have got to opt in with Boston), and the other 3 years are worked out differently. 

It is like when they talked about Al Horford's deal last year. it was still a horrible contract, so it is a bad example, but the number being reported all around was $119 million for 4 years or something. the actual number was closer to $109 million because there was a bunch of bonuses built in if the 6ers won the championship. 

Boston probably winds up with SOMETHING at center. My guess is Thompson or Whiteside (as I don't think either their current teams will pay a lot to keep them......though you never know :)  ). Whiteside with very good contract year in 19-20 but will always question his motivation. 
And Thompson it is. Nice get and fit with them. Best defender at the position left available.

Tristan Thompson is going to the Celtics on a two-year, $19 million deal, a source tells the

@TheAthleticNBA

Millsap's only a 5 in fantasy

ETA: the Green are going to spend however many days trying to talk Tristan Thompson (who eats them alive) into taking the MLE and then give it to the late Tommy Heinsohn's mancrush, Aron Baynes. if Sap wants in on the 3mil exception, they'll do it for leadership purposes

I don't know how true this is but read ATL, NY, Charlotte were the only teams with more than $10 mil in cap space left. (Was before Hayward/Gallinari signings....but may impact that). 

Gotta think we're gonna see more 1) S&T,  2) resignings of the bigger names left, 3) Knicks paying for a bunch of 1 year deals they'll try to trade later in season for picks. 

Boston probably winds up with SOMETHING at center. My guess is Thompson or Whiteside (as I don't think either their current teams will pay a lot to keep them......though you never know :)  ). Whiteside with very good contract year in 19-20 but will always question his motivation. Toronto's in trouble if they let both Ibaka/Gasol both get away.....and I really wouldn't want to rely on only Gasol at this point if I were them.
good call here.

As a Sixers fan I love it. Nothing says desperation like signing Tristan Thompson for 2 years at $10 million  a year. The big dogs in the East will feast on him night in and night out. 

The Clippers have joined the race for free-agent big men Serge Ibaka and Marc Gasol, league sources say Gasol is considered the more realistic target given the fierce competition for Ibaka headed by Toronto and Brooklyn

@TheSteinLine

The Lakers also seek one more big man, league sources say, but they face much tougher financial constraints in the chase for Gasol after signing Montrezl Harrell away from the Clippers and re-signing Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

What is the latest on Harden? Unless one of these teams in the East can grab him, not sure any of them have done enough to think there is a new favorite. A muddled mess right now. Heat seems to believe they still have a winning roster and it is hard to bet against Riley.

Saw they are keeping Theis for $5 million too.
And just signed Teague for a yr. Payton Pritchard will be the best Maine Red Claw ever!

ETA: and, of course, Traitor Danny will come thiiiiis close to getting Harden for Timelord, Romeo Langford & the rights to Jungle Jim Luscutoff

Hayward may end up a sign and trade with charlotte
what does Charlotte get out of this by doing a sign and trade? i see all the Celtics' media saying this, but nobody else. I see advantage definitely for Celtics, just not sure what Charlotte gets.

Also wondering if any of this has Tatum re-thinking signing any extension. Little surprised they haven't taken care of that yet

ETA:

i guess this kind of answers it. i don't know how the heck they can take on Batum contract with no money though:

Keith Smith

@KeithSmithNBA

At this point I would be stunned if Hornets didn't make the Gordon Hayward deal a S&T. There is no reason for them not to do it. They can either trade Batum to Boston (expiring deal BOS can trade again) or they can squeeze BOS for a small asset and still waive & stretch Batum.

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Free agent Serge Ibaka has agreed to a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

10:26 PM · Nov 21, 2020

:kicksrock:  Was definitely a long shot, but I was hoping the Nets could get him.

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Free agent Serge Ibaka has agreed to a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

10:26 PM · Nov 21, 2020

:kicksrock:  Was definitely a long shot, but I was hoping the Nets could get him.
Quite stunned Toronto let ibaka walk over 2/19. I know they may be high on Boucher but he's too raw for my tastes at 27 to rely on.

Been holding off on C's thoughts until I saw more moves...just like being a Pats fan it is easy to over-react at the beginning of free agency (like I did with Hayward) only to like (or not like) what they do a little later...leaving out the elephant in the room (Hayward) till later I am very pleased with what they have done so far...the draft addressed shooting and listening to Jerry Stackhouse (Vandy Coach) a few times on the radio the C's may have have made a really nice pick with Nesmith...Thompson is a player I very much wanted them to get, he fills such a hole for them and if Robert Williams can get more consistent they could be in for a big upgrade there and I also like the fact that this frees Theis up to be on some more realistic matchups...Teague is an upgrade over Wannamaker, not a big splash here but a move that makes them deeper which they desperately needed.

As for Hayward...if the Turner/McDermott offer was real then Ainge made a huge mistake because the alternative of getting nothing meant he had zero hand outside of dealing directly with Indy because it seems apparent there was no way he was coming back to Boston...all it takes is one team to make a big offer (in Charlotte's case an amazingly bad offer) and you are left holding nothing...now there seems to be some chatter that this may turn into some type of sign and trade and if it does turn into that Ainge may save face with this...let's see how that unfolds but even if it does unfold that way my guess is Ainge still didn't see that Charlotte offer coming...if in fact the C's end up with nothing for Hayward and the Indy deal proves to be real the heat will be turned up on Ainge locally in a huge way...C's fans are definitely the most forgiving between them, the Pats, the Sox and B's but this will not be forgiven because it would be such an unforced error.

Overall if Tatum signs his max as rumored the C's will be in solid shape with an opportunity to be much deeper and diverse then last year but with the question of how do they make up for Haywards's production...the C's are an organization that likes to preach player development and IMO that will be a key to whether they can really compete for a legit championship and not just the Eastern Conference...they have a very intriguing group in Rob and Grant Williams, Langford, Nesmith, Pritchard, Edwards and Watters...obviously they are not all gonna work out but if they can max out the potential on about three of them and with the additions of Thompson and Teague they will be much deeper then last year and right in the mix for the Eastern Conference and realistically how much better Tatum and Brown get will determine if they can seriously compete for a title.

I'd guess they didn't have a choice, he probably preferred L.A. and as a free agent he could go where he wants.  Or maybe he is opposed to Tampa situation?  (hell if it were me that would be a selling point)
You're right...if he was deadset on playing in LA, they didn't have a say in the matter. I'd have made him an offer he couldn't refuse personally if I were the Raptors since they had ability to offer him more money.

Gasol (age/decline/injuries) and Boucher (he'll def have his moments.....but so very raw for a player his age) really leave a lot to be desired. 

Users who are viewing this thread