What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (6 Viewers)

Been holding off on C's thoughts until I saw more moves...just like being a Pats fan it is easy to over-react at the beginning of free agency (like I did with Hayward) only to like (or not like) what they do a little later...leaving out the elephant in the room (Hayward) till later I am very pleased with what they have done so far...the draft addressed shooting and listening to Jerry Stackhouse (Vandy Coach) a few times on the radio the C's may have have made a really nice pick with Nesmith...Thompson is a player I very much wanted them to get, he fills such a hole for them and if Robert Williams can get more consistent they could be in for a big upgrade there and I also like the fact that this frees Theis up to be on some more realistic matchups...Teague is an upgrade over Wannamaker, not a big splash here but a move that makes them deeper which they desperately needed.

As for Hayward...if the Turner/McDermott offer was real then Ainge made a huge mistake because the alternative of getting nothing meant he had zero hand outside of dealing directly with Indy because it seems apparent there was no way he was coming back to Boston...all it takes is one team to make a big offer (in Charlotte's case an amazingly bad offer) and you are left holding nothing...now there seems to be some chatter that this may turn into some type of sign and trade and if it does turn into that Ainge may save face with this...let's see how that unfolds but even if it does unfold that way my guess is Ainge still didn't see that Charlotte offer coming...if in fact the C's end up with nothing for Hayward and the Indy deal proves to be real the heat will be turned up on Ainge locally in a huge way...C's fans are definitely the most forgiving between them, the Pats, the Sox and B's but this will not be forgiven because it would be such an unforced error.

Overall if Tatum signs his max as rumored the C's will be in solid shape with an opportunity to be much deeper and diverse then last year but with the question of how do they make up for Haywards's production...the C's are an organization that likes to preach player development and IMO that will be a key to whether they can really compete for a legit championship and not just the Eastern Conference...they have a very intriguing group in Rob and Grant Williams, Langford, Nesmith, Pritchard, Edwards and Watters...obviously they are not all gonna work out but if they can max out the potential on about three of them and with the additions of Thompson and Teague they will be much deeper then last year and right in the mix for the Eastern Conference and realistically how much better Tatum and Brown get will determine if they can seriously compete for a title.
not a doubt in my mind that Turner/McDermott was on the table, but i'm guessing Indy weren't going past $110M and who knows if that extra $10M means anything at that level v returning home etc. but i saw too many instances during the Jerseypix era not to believe that Traitor Danny is addicted to the "genius move" and that flies in the face of Celtic progress. the Green could have been next-level w Turner because i truly believe Stevens sees the ultimate team as a smallball squad and Turner would have fit that plus been able to 5 it up when their opponents made them stay home more.

Cs havent regressed, but they havent progressed. Heat is really gonna miss Crowder, the Raptors got a BIG hole in the middle and the Sixers lose another year allowing Doc to prove that he's not as much a genius as BBrown was an idiot. Gonna be interesting to see if coach will have TT & Theis on the floor together at all. @Juxtatarot asked what signings i would have made post-Hayward. i actually would have let Stevens make that choice, because most of the 5s still available (Whiteside, Cousins, Cauley-Stein as well as TT) really require some conversation as to their commitment to a vision, but i might have been tempted to actually increase the number of post options by signing like Harry Giles (Duke teammate of Tatum) and bringing Lowell-kid Noah Vonleh home and switch em out like smarter football coaches do with defensive linemen now and keep up with the Bams and run the Embiids silly that way. Just as long as we dont see poor Grant Williams (dirty little secret of Celts' 19 draft - post man GWill is actually shorter than the guard, Romeo Langford they drafted) in the post for a while. but the 20-21 Celtics remain more contender than champion.

not a doubt in my mind that Turner/McDermott was on the table, but i'm guessing Indy weren't going past $110M and who knows if that extra $10M means anything at that level v returning home etc. but i saw too many instances during the Jerseypix era not to believe that Traitor Danny is addicted to the "genius move" and that flies in the face of Celtic progress. the Green could have been next-level w Turner because i truly believe Stevens sees the ultimate team as a smallball squad and Turner would have fit that plus been able to 5 it up when their opponents made them stay home more.

Cs havent regressed, but they havent progressed. Heat is really gonna miss Crowder, the Raptors got a BIG hole in the middle and the Sixers lose another year allowing Doc to prove that he's not as much a genius as BBrown was an idiot. Gonna be interesting to see if coach will have TT & Theis on the floor together at all. @Juxtatarot asked what signings i would have made post-Hayward. i actually would have let Stevens make that choice, because most of the 5s still available (Whiteside, Cousins, Cauley-Stein as well as TT) really require some conversation as to their commitment to a vision, but i might have been tempted to actually increase the number of post options by signing like Harry Giles (Duke teammate of Tatum) and bringing Lowell-kid Noah Vonleh home and switch em out like smarter football coaches do with defensive linemen now and keep up with the Bams and run the Embiids silly that way. Just as long as we dont see poor Grant Williams (dirty little secret of Celts' 19 draft - post man GWill is actually shorter than the guard, Romeo Langford they drafted) in the post for a while. but the 20-21 Celtics remain more contender than champion.
Yup...it does appear Ainge wants to win deals more then make the team better...tough to argue likewise after this Indy debacle...tend to agree about the contender v. champion angle with the caveat that I do think they can win the East...they were some real sloppy playing away from doing it this year and I do think this year's team can be better and deeper but we're not gonna really know until we see how all these youngsters develop.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-why-did-gordon-hayward-pacers-trade-fall-through

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Utah Jazz All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell has agreed to a five-year, $195M designated rookie max extension, his agents Ty Sullivan and Austin Brown of @caa_sports tell ESPN. Story soon.

11:10 AM · Nov 22, 2020

Seeing Ibaka get the same raw numbers that TT got is kind of mind boggling. I have to admit to not watching much Cleveland games at all, but his numbers from last year seem inflated. I guess it shows he at least is putting effort in when he is on the floor, but of course he was going to lead in rebounds with the line-ups Cle put out there.

I agree that Ibaka and even Whiteside seem head and shoulders better than Thompson. I get it if guys didn't want to go to Boston and teams can only control so much of that though. But at the same time, teams need to have a better plan. If Ainge knew, or had a strong feeling that Heyward was walking, he should have spent more time looking at the available centers and getting a good fit.

Noel in Boston would have been a better fit, cheaper too

Seeing Ibaka get the same raw numbers that TT got is kind of mind boggling. I have to admit to not watching much Cleveland games at all, but his numbers from last year seem inflated. I guess it shows he at least is putting effort in when he is on the floor, but of course he was going to lead in rebounds with the line-ups Cle put out there.

I agree that Ibaka and even Whiteside seem head and shoulders better than Thompson. I get it if guys didn't want to go to Boston and teams can only control so much of that though. But at the same time, teams need to have a better plan. If Ainge knew, or had a strong feeling that Heyward was walking, he should have spent more time looking at the available centers and getting a good fit.

Noel in Boston would have been a better fit, cheaper too
i could post Noel and i'm 67 yrs old

i could post Noel and i'm 67 yrs old
he is a bit thin, i'll give you that. But he has a better skill set to support that team i think, and i would take his defense over TT no doubt. paying half the salary of TT gives them some more wiggle room too, now they are pressed against the cap with little options,

1st thing Cs fans should do is stop listening to that SportsHub/CSNNE bunch on the inner workings of the Celtics. they have NO ONE inside GreenWorld and are all bloggers w no connection to anyone but each other
Forsberg looks like he has never played a contact sport in his life...

Tristan Thompson was a solid signing as was Teague. Celtics bungled sign and trade with Hayward but both signings are upgrades. I think Thompson is pretty underrated and Teague is an upgrade at backup point.

No reason Celtics can’t compete for East Title - it’s them and the Heat, Raptors and Bucks next year.

Tristan Thompson was a solid signing as was Teague. Celtics bungled sign and trade with Hayward but both signings are upgrades. I think Thompson is pretty underrated and Teague is an upgrade at backup point.

No reason Celtics can’t compete for East Title - it’s them and the Heat, Raptors and Bucks next year.
I don’t think BOS had much chance of trading Hayward to the Pacers as they weren’t going to give him $120 million. The players coming back in trade wouldn’t matter if IND wasn’t going to match the CHA offer. 

Pacers and Nets moved to the West?

Bogdanovich signs offer sheet with Hawks:

Reports: Bogdan Bogdanovic signs four year, $72 million offer with Atlanta (nbcsports.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thompson over Noel all day long. Not even close. Thompson is a very good man defender & can defend in space and in the P&R. Noel isn't at all and can't. No brainer to sign him over Noel and salary discrepancy is there for a reason. 

Celtics already have a younger, cheaper, exciting undisciplined freelancer that can block shots and dunk in Time Lord. Noel adds nothing that Time Lord already does. Time Lord is signed at a fraction of the cost.

Thompson was the best fit of the FA centers remaining for the Celtics roster. They needed beef in the middle that can defend man to man. Anyone that watched that Miami series saw where Boston lost it as they have zero resistance to body Bam. Thompson gives them that guy. Offers a great alternative -- much better than Kanter's skillset -- to Theis and Time Lord.

Thompson and Teague fit nicely on Boston. Big Big fan of Neismith. Boston really needed to upgrade on catch and shoot from the perimeter and they got by far the top one on mine and many people's board in this draft with Neismith. LOVE that pick. Had him as a Top 10 guy in the draft. Not because I think he'll necessarily be a superstar but fully believe he'll an elite off the ball scorer that MOVES WITHOUT THE BASKETBALL (i.e. can shoot off screens).

How many WIDE OPEN 3's was Smart seeing per game in Boston?!?! Now imagine teams have to account for someone that's a much much much much better shooter from the perimeter. Only going to open things up for Tatum/Brown/Walker. We just saw what JOE HARRIS got for a similar skill set from Brooklyn. It's a highly paid skill for a reason. 

I mean the Knicks didn’t want Teague.  I’ll leave it at that.

Knicks got their PG of the future..

@wojespn

Free agent Austin Rivers has agreed to deal with Knicks, source tells ESPN.
Doc livid. 

"My boy can shoot better than this John Salmons guy that hasn't improved shooting in 6 years in the NBA"

Free agent Marc Gasol has agreed to a deal with the Lakers, source tells

@TheAthleticNBA

@Stadium
Boy the Raptors must have a lot of confidence in Chris Boucher. And (maybe?) have a plan to replace Ibaka & Gasol with something on top of him.

Rough..

Not saying this is who’s starting, Vogel will probably mix and match based on matchups, but ooowhee!

Caruso / Schroeder

KCP / Matthews 

LeBron / THT

AD / Kuzma

M Gasol / Harrell

😎

Yo Mama said:
Sweet. Marc Gasol to sign with Lakers. 

Lakers had to trade McGee and a 2nd to Cavs to make room. 

Source - my son (I’m so proud)
It'll be great watching Gasol play point center.

He's come full circle. Dealt from the Lakers before he ever really got in the league for his brother, now back for a shot at another title. Hope he can make it to the playoffs healthy.

Not saying this is who’s starting, Vogel will probably mix and match based on matchups, but ooowhee!

Caruso / Schroeder

KCP / Matthews 

LeBron / THT

AD / Kuzma

M Gasol / Harrell

😎
yeah, that is a nice pick-up for the Lakers. Good for them still looking to upgrade

Saric and markieff morris probably the most interesting assuming no maxes Ingram (or close to)
saric back to the Suns.  Morris would be a great backup in Philly, but not sure if he would take a piece of the tax-payer MLE.  Sixers still probably want a pure PG off the bench too, but Augustine gone as well now.

was just looking at this - Onyeka Okongwu, Cam Reddish, Kevin Huerter, Kris Dunn, DeAndre Hunter, Rajon Rondo. that's a pretty good...............bench for a team that was 20-47 last yr

Cousins to Rockets on 1 year non-guaranteed deal. Pure upside signing.

Hopefully he's coming in in shape. Could put up some monsters #s there if he is. 

Cousins to Rockets on 1 year non-guaranteed deal. Pure upside signing.

Hopefully he's coming in in shape. Could put up some monsters #s there if he is. 
It’s been so long since we’ve seen him healthy, I have no idea what to expect. Pre injury Cousins wouldn’t have meshed well with Harden, to the extent Harden will still be around. 

Morris supposedly tweeted he's returning to the Lakers.  Hopefully that is more accurate than Howard's tweet saying the same a few days ago.  I have to give Pelinka major props for his work this offseason.  On paper, the Lakers look like a much improved team compared to the one that just won the title.
Lakers have made good moves, but about the only reason he can make these free agent moves is the number of vets who are willing to sign at significant discounts vs market value to play with Lebron.  Having Lebron on your roster is a significant advantage as a GM.

Do Kings match on Bogdanovic? Decision due by tonight.  I think they should in order to keep the asset even if they need to shed some salary in the coming years.

Do Kings match on Bogdanovic? Decision due by tonight.  I think they should in order to keep the asset even if they need to shed some salary in the coming years.
I think with the Fox extension, Halliburton pick, and Hield situation they let him walk. Tough to lose the asset, but it’ll make it tough to absorb this contract if they match. 

Users who are viewing this thread