What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (4 Viewers)

Especially when Turner knocks them out in the play in games. 

Hard to see a first round matchup Celtics could win with Sixers, Nets, Bucks, and Heat running away with the top four spots. 
Between the Heat with the 4 seed and the Raptors with the 11 seed, there is only 4.5 games of difference. So the heat are as close to out of the play in game as they are to the 4th seed. 

The East still sucks, guys. 

Between the Heat with the 4 seed and the Raptors with the 11 seed, there is only 4.5 games of difference. So the heat are as close to out of the play in game as they are to the 4th seed. 

Agreed, but the Heat have been rolling lately (before tonight at least). 

I'd put the top 4 in the East up against the top 4 of the West right now.  Below that you're right, but at the top end they're pretty close.

have to give Harden credit. Took same exact route as Butler, and will all turn up roses for him in the end. Not sure how much longer it will work for players, but for these 2 the plan worked great
It will only get easier for the players to go the Harden route, not harder.  Once their pockets are already overflowing with cash, there is almost no real risk to the strategy.

Great job by Gianis. Witht the help from the refs, he has been able to get all the way up to 9 points with Ben guarding him  :clap:
just a terrible, awful 32-14-5 from Giannis in a close comeback win over the best team the NBA has ever seen.

not sure if the Bucks should waive everyone and start over in hopes that they can surmount this all-time juggernaut or not, but i'm sure the front office is considering just disbanding the organization right now in response to last night's debacle.

Don't look now but Dallas is 7-3 in the last 10...the games where they finally have all their players available (usually) and have actually now met each other and played basketball together after losing the most-player games to COVID and somehow having zero game postponements. Josh Richardson looking realllllllly good too. 

Own tiebreaker with Clippers, and this week can take the season series' against the Nuggets and against the Spurs as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
just a terrible, awful 32-14-5 from Giannis in a close comeback win over the best team the NBA has ever seen.

not sure if the Bucks should waive everyone and start over in hopes that they can surmount this all-time juggernaut or not, but i'm sure the front office is considering just disbanding the organization right now in response to last night's debacle.
you guys do crack me up just checking box scores and not actually watching the games. Giannis had about 20 of those points against the Sixers bench unit. Bucks did a nice job of getting Ben off of Giannis with some swtiches, but overall, Ben shut him down signifcantly. 

So yes, i am pleased with Ben's defense against Giannis, and a big congrats to the Bucks on winning again in the regular season. Hooray for the regular season wins  :clap:

you should know better, young man. Luka'd being going ape in the 80s only because he'd have no teeth and would need to eat bananas if he played back then
Luka's a big dude with some attitude. If he grew up in the 60s and 70s...I have a feeling he'd hold his own in the 80s.

Luka's a big dude with some attitude. If he grew up in the 60s and 70s...I have a feeling he'd hold his own in the 80s.
his first step is weak, in uponya terms. sloppy even. ANYbody can get sumn going if they're allowed a first step, and the expanding of the floor, loosening of the rules, changes in screening make that much more possible. Kyrie, much as i despise him, gets a step on anyone back then. Dame, Curry, yes. Harden, probably. Luka, Anteaternintendo, Tatum, notsomuch. those big first steps dont happen uponya, w hands. especially when an elbow follows...

you guys do crack me up just checking box scores and not actually watching the games. Giannis had about 20 of those points against the Sixers bench unit. Bucks did a nice job of getting Ben off of Giannis with some swtiches, but overall, Ben shut him down signifcantly. 

So yes, i am pleased with Ben's defense against Giannis, and a big congrats to the Bucks on winning again in the regular season. Hooray for the regular season wins  :clap:
I don't chime in on this forum much, but the 76ers are second in the league in average free throws per game at 25.7 per game, the Bucks are 17th at 21.6.  Yesterday the Bucks had 24 free throws, slightly above their average.  I can't tell you why the 76ers didn't get to their average, but missing Embid probably had a lot to do with it.

As a bucks fan I can tell you complaining about ghost calls are going to fall on deaf ears.  As fans we spent the the late 80's, all of the 90's, 2000's, and into the 2010's seeing our team get hit with ghost calls.  All the better teams got the calls form the Celtics in the 80's to Pistons, then the Bulls, it was a constant that seemed to never leave the Bucks. 

I don't chime in on this forum much, but the 76ers are second in the league in average free throws per game at 25.7 per game, the Bucks are 17th at 21.6.  Yesterday the Bucks had 24 free throws, slightly above their average.  I can't tell you why the 76ers didn't get to their average, but missing Embid probably had a lot to do with it.

As a bucks fan I can tell you complaining about ghost calls are going to fall on deaf ears.  As fans we spent the the late 80's, all of the 90's, 2000's, and into the 2010's seeing our team get hit with ghost calls.  All the better teams got the calls form the Celtics in the 80's to Pistons, then the Bulls, it was a constant that seemed to never leave the Bucks. 
Obviously you just started watching the NBA, otherwise you’d know the officiating was perfect up until the aughts. Jordan, Magic etc never got special treatment. 

just :pokey:   i didn't get a chance to watch last night at all.

his first step is weak, in uponya terms. sloppy even. ANYbody can get sumn going if they're allowed a first step, and the expanding of the floor, loosening of the rules, changes in screening make that much more possible. Kyrie, much as i despise him, gets a step on anyone back then. Dame, Curry, yes. Harden, probably. Luka, Anteaternintendo, Tatum, notsomuch. those big first steps dont happen uponya, w hands. especially when an elbow follows...
I dunno, man.  Luka is 6'-7" and 230.  That is 1" shorter and 5 lbs heavier than Charles Oakley, who was known as a bruiser.  He's a big kid and that first step is quicker than anything Bird ever had, and he did just fine.  

ETA:  And I prefer it this way.  Getting to punch a dude in the gut just because he was quicker than you seemed like a weak way to defend people.

I dunno, man.  Luka is 6'-7" and 230.  That is 1" shorter and 5 lbs heavier than Charles Oakley, who was known as a bruiser.  He's a big kid and that first step is quicker than anything Bird ever had, and he did just fine.  

ETA:  And I prefer it this way.  Getting to punch a dude in the gut just because he was quicker than you seemed like a weak way to defend people.
just saying he dont get to start at the top in those days with that step. Bird didnt either. they'd be gargling bicuspids if they did. he'd need a whole nuther game. not saying he couldnt, just that he's as much a product of his time as his talent, like most team athletes.

just seemed like it being a nationally televised game, the NBA refs were similar to NFL refs. They wanted to bring the game back in to make it competitive, increase ratings, etc. See it in the NFL a ton when a team gets up nicely, and all of a sudden the refs call one or 2 pass interference fouls, or a holding on 3rd down to make it a first. 

Not a big deal anymore, glad we have a few games to run it back. Jrue has turned into a demon since leaving the Sixers, and the Bucks should utilize him a little more. Will be fun to see how it goes

little bit nerdy, but here is an interview with Daryl Morey and the idea if the NBA got rid of the 3-pointer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ9YDNAOo2U&ab_channel=RightsToRickySanchez

there is some interesting pieces (and a little Sixers info for everyone too  :) ). A quick tidbit is the idea of the NBA at some point maybe eliminating the corner 3s and rounding the 3 point line around the baseline. Ideas about some teams being able to create their own courts. 

the answer seems to be to change the points to 3 and 4, instead of 2s and 3s. Simple change, but will never happen because it would screw up all the records and history stats. 

A good talk though

ETA: lol funny ideas about refs, and the possibility of A.I. being implemented into the game. Said the stat with how many times refs get an out of bounds call right is literally 50%

ETA: lol funny ideas about refs, and the possibility of A.I. being implemented into the game. Said the stat with how many times refs get an out of bounds call right is literally 50%
Going to have to show your math on this.  I feel you may be overestimating  the number of errors or underestimating the number of times the ball goes out-of-bounds.

little bit nerdy, but here is an interview with Daryl Morey and the idea if the NBA got rid of the 3-pointer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ9YDNAOo2U&ab_channel=RightsToRickySanchez

there is some interesting pieces (and a little Sixers info for everyone too  :) ). A quick tidbit is the idea of the NBA at some point maybe eliminating the corner 3s and rounding the 3 point line around the baseline. Ideas about some teams being able to create their own courts. 

the answer seems to be to change the points to 3 and 4, instead of 2s and 3s. Simple change, but will never happen because it would screw up all the records and history stats. 

A good talk though

If this means on contested, reviewable type OOB calls, I'd believe it.  That stuff is nigh impossible to see in real time with the naked eye.

If it's on all OOB calls then way incorrect.  They are probably 90-95% accurate on all of those throughout a game.

Obviously you just started watching the NBA, otherwise you’d know the officiating was perfect up until the aughts. Jordan, Magic etc never got special treatment. 
Honestly it's still pretty great except for calls made against the Sixers - the refs obviously have it in for them and only them.

Going to have to show your math on this.  I feel you may be overestimating  the number of errors or underestimating the number of times the ball goes out-of-bounds.
don't have any math on it at all, but Daryl Morey stated it from that youtube clip and i don't see any reason why Morrey would say it if it weren't true. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to make statements like that up

ETA: and lol @Dr. Octopus, when Morey stated it, it literally had nothing to do with the Sixers. @Jayrod is probably right at what they were referring to, but there wasn't any kind of bias talk when the main meat of the discussion is what would the NBA be like if they took the 3 pointer out.

The point was the 3 is such a significant advantage that a change should be made. I did like the idea that a great fix, though never would happen, would be to make it more like regular shots are 3, and a 3 pointer becomes a 4-pointer. the disparity equals out much better. 

don't have any math on it at all, but Daryl Morey stated it from that youtube clip and i don't see any reason why Morrey would say it if it weren't true. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to make statements like that up

ETA: and lol @Dr. Octopus, when Morey stated it, it literally had nothing to do with the Sixers. @Jayrod is probably right at what they were referring to, but there wasn't any kind of bias talk when the main meat of the discussion is what would the NBA be like if they took the 3 pointer out.

The point was the 3 is such a significant advantage that a change should be made. I did like the idea that a great fix, though never would happen, would be to make it more like regular shots are 3, and a 3 pointer becomes a 4-pointer. the disparity equals out much better. 
Honestly, I think the change needs to be made that any action by the shooter that isn't their normal shooting action (i.e. jumping sideways, jumping into defenders, sticking out their leg, flailing arms, etc) that creates contact that would not have normally occurred, is an offensive foul.

Then it becomes easier to defend the three and they don't get rewarded for all of these foul drawing shenanigans. Similar to the sudden stop when dribbling with a defender behind you.  Just freaking play basketball and quit working for fouls instead of working for a good shot.

I didn’t even read what Morley said. I was referring to your constant #####ing and blaming the refs every time the Sixers lose. It’s insufferable.
hah, don't think that is the case. Referenced that the refs had some strange calls when the Sixers were up 19 in the mid-3rd Q, but they lost because they went cold in the 4th as well. Outside of that reference to the refs, really unsure what you are referring to. I know the Jazz felt the Sixers were getting more calls, and Paul George has been asking the NBA to look into why the Clippers don't get more calls, but sure, feel free to reference me whenever you want to come in here and rant about something. 

Jayrod said:
Honestly, I think the change needs to be made that any action by the shooter that isn't their normal shooting action (i.e. jumping sideways, jumping into defenders, sticking out their leg, flailing arms, etc) that creates contact that would not have normally occurred, is an offensive foul.

Then it becomes easier to defend the three and they don't get rewarded for all of these foul drawing shenanigans. Similar to the sudden stop when dribbling with a defender behind you.  Just freaking play basketball and quit working for fouls instead of working for a good shot.
yeah, he referenced when he was with Houston that there was something about calls being made when players were hit in the head. He talked about hints going around the NBA with some front offices and coaches that were hinting at players to duck their heads in when shooting to get more calls. 

the listen isn't too bad, and some of the ideas brought up were interesting

Jayrod said:
If this means on contested, reviewable type OOB calls, I'd believe it.  That stuff is nigh impossible to see in real time with the naked eye.

If it's on all OOB calls then way incorrect.  They are probably 90-95% accurate on all of those throughout a game.
I didn't listen to it all (just scanned through), but you're correct that he was talking about "any sort of contested out of bounds play" there (at 40:26 of modogg's link). His recommendation was just to go to possession arrow for that type of play.

hah, don't think that is the case. Referenced that the refs had some strange calls when the Sixers were up 19 in the mid-3rd Q, but they lost because they went cold in the 4th as well. Outside of that reference to the refs, really unsure what you are referring to. I know the Jazz felt the Sixers were getting more calls, and Paul George has been asking the NBA to look into why the Clippers don't get more calls, but sure, feel free to reference me whenever you want to come in here and rant about something. 
I apologize. You can post whatever you want.

Zigg said:
Yeah, if good officiating is the reason you are watching the NBA then you are doing it wrong. 

Between Joey Crawford and **** Bavetta I took about 20 year break from watching any NBA basketball. Officiating in the NBA is exactly the same as doping was in the Tour de France. Everyone can see it in plane sight but they all just pretend it doesn't exist. "Tim Donaghy acted ALONE!". What a joke.

That's why I roll my eyes when the NFL rushes to make a rule change because a NO WR doesn't get a PI call on ONE PLAY. There are about a dozen blown calls in an NBA game each quarter. And those bad calls are so random that Tim Donaghy was able to accurately predict the outcomes of games.... he didn't even officiate. Huh, that's funny. Odd coincidence there.

it gets pretty quiet in here when the Celtics' don't win, i would love to hear from C's fans on the thoughts on their team. i have been saying it for over a year, and really thought it in the first month of this year, but Danny should have moved Tatum. His value is still real high, but i think they could get a lot back for him and Brown will pick up some of what they lose trading Tatum. Not sure how much more his value will be this high though.

Would love to hear what other ideas are out there to fix the team. i know quite a bit blame Brad, but i don't know who is out there that can work with the team. i also think Brad is a good coach that will benefit another team if he gets kicked out. What willit take for a significant change, miss the playoffs?

The Nuggets came back down 6 with 40 second left to win against the Bulls in OT. They are now 8-2 in their last 10 and have the 6th easiest schedule remaining. They seem to be making a push to get into the top 3 - I think if Denver finishes on top of the Lakers, Jokic is going to be almost guaranteed the MVP.

His stats are bonkers. 8th best BPM of all time, tied for 10th best WS/48 of all time, 10th best PER. This is prime Jordan/Lebron/Wilt/Kareem stuff, and at least offensively, Murray and Porter are blossoming into the 2nd and 3rd options of a championship caliber team. 

The Nuggets came back down 6 with 40 second left to win against the Bulls in OT. They are now 8-2 in their last 10 and have the 6th easiest schedule remaining. They seem to be making a push to get into the top 3 - I think if Denver finishes on top of the Lakers, Jokic is going to be almost guaranteed the MVP.

His stats are bonkers. 8th best BPM of all time, tied for 10th best WS/48 of all time, 10th best PER. This is prime Jordan/Lebron/Wilt/Kareem stuff, and at least offensively, Murray and Porter are blossoming into the 2nd and 3rd options of a championship caliber team. 
The Bulls were about thirty seconds away from winning in Denver for the first time in fifteen years.

They have a peculiar habit of either leaving wide open three-point shooters, or they foul a three-point shooter behind the line. That's not a good combination. 

it gets pretty quiet in here when the Celtics' don't win, i would love to hear from C's fans on the thoughts on their team. i have been saying it for over a year, and really thought it in the first month of this year, but Danny should have moved Tatum. His value is still real high, but i think they could get a lot back for him and Brown will pick up some of what they lose trading Tatum. Not sure how much more his value will be this high though.

Would love to hear what other ideas are out there to fix the team. i know quite a bit blame Brad, but i don't know who is out there that can work with the team. i also think Brad is a good coach that will benefit another team if he gets kicked out. What willit take for a significant change, miss the playoffs?
Not a Celts fan but there is a lot of talk about of Stevens going to IU.

The Bulls were about thirty seconds away from winning in Denver for the first time in fifteen years.

They have a peculiar habit of either leaving wide open three-point shooters, or they foul a three-point shooter behind the line. That's not a good combination. 
Leaving Murray open was not a great decision.

With Embiid and Lebron out, Jokic becomes heavy Vegas fave for MVP.
MVP is voted on media right? Will be interesting how they view Harden if Nets can get 1st in the East. If Nuggets can't end as a top 3 seed, do they really warrant an MVP? i would have to llok through the past, but i wonder if a team that didn't finish as a top 3 team in their division won MVP

man, some super b.s. that Blake Griffin gives half ### performance with Pistons to the point they have to buy him out, just to go and pay twice as hard now with the Nets. this "player empowerment" push will basically eliminate half of the teams in the league. 

Not sure what the answer is at this point in the league, but if for some reason more and more players go this route it won't be good.

This SIxers-Knicks game has been  :X . I'd like to say it has been amazing defense, but unfortunately that isn't the case. Ugly win for whoever ends up on top

Just saw on twitter that they think LaMelo has a broken wrist. That sucks. 
That really sucks.  I wanted to hate on him because of the father etc.  But man, he is fun to watch and really just balls out and plays the right way.  I am sure Jordan will talk to him about coming back stronger, like he did after breaking his foot early in his second season.

Kevin O'Connor from The Ringer gives us lots of trade rumors.  Which ones of these do you think will happen?
i think the rumors circulating before the trade deadline (this Wednesday or Thursday) are about as good as rumors before the NFL draft. It's great click bait for sports media, but most floating out there is posturing by teams or GMs and trying to gain an advantage. Some teams are much worse then others at circulating rumors.

Reading through some of these, it is hard to see how feasible they can be. He is right the Clippers need to do something, but they don't have assets to do much. I would guess Houston is the one on that list that is feasible, they might as well tank harder considering they can't get much worse I have to think Houston's main focus right now, in order, is (1) save money for Fertitta and (2) get any assets they can with the value they have on that roster

I haven't seen the actual injury clip, but one thing I've noticed is that Lamelo is always on the floor. Made a mental note of it in the second quarter saturday. A lot of his hustle on defense and guile on getting to the rim involves him getting knocked over. 

ETA: He is listed at 6'8"/180lbs. Going to need to bulk up a bit if he wants to keep playing so aggressively.

Users who are viewing this thread