What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (5 Viewers)

What's the point of these games again?  I'm no Lakers fan, but they want me to believe that it makes sense that a team that finished 12 games over .500 and had the same W/L as the 5th seed should/could get bumped by a team that finished 9 games behind them an a one game series? 

What's the point of these games again?  I'm no Lakers fan, but they want me to believe that it makes sense that a team that finished 12 games over .500 and had the same W/L as the 5th seed should/could get bumped by a team that finished 9 games behind them an a one game series? 
This would only happen if they lose to the Warriors *and then* to the Spurs, FWIW. The 7 and 8 seeds only have to win 1 game to make the playoffs, whereas the 9 and 10 seeds have to win both.

NickVanExcel @JonBlazeIsh

It’s a good rule of thumb to not #### with people who know different state laws of combat.
Everything about this Kwame Brown story cracks me up, but I think this gets to the truth of the thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This would only happen if they lose to the Warriors *and then* to the Spurs, FWIW. The 7 and 8 seeds only have to win 1 game to make the playoffs, whereas the 9 and 10 seeds have to win both.
I know.  It still doesn't really make much sense.  It cheapens the regular season even more while adding a game that, despite the Lakers/Warriors being in there this year, is more than likely just offering up a sacrifical lamb.  

So Robert Williams is made of glass or what? can't tell if he is just a soft player, or are all these C's players acting hurt so they can get to Cancun quicker?

ETA: Tatum is 5-15. Hope the C's keep maxing this kid for another 10-15 years. just chuck it up there kid, ignore passing to wide open Fournier or anybody else

OK then! Nice run there, but long way to go.  Would be nice to see a little killer instinct here and start attacking the basket.  What the typically do is fall in love with the 3 and iso ball and then get cold and let them back in it.  Would love to see that NOT happen here.

Tatum is 5-15. Hope the C's keep maxing this kid for another 10-15 years. just chuck it up there kid, ignore passing to wide open Fournier or anybody else
At a certain point you just gotta take an L on this particular take of yours Modogg.  Tatum is 23, has a defensive skillet, and his offensive repertoire is already there.  Does he need to get some of the midrange/Kobe shots out of his game?  Sure.  The rest is nitpicking at this point.

At a certain point you just gotta take an L on this particular take of yours Modogg.  Tatum is 23, has a defensive skillet, and his offensive repertoire is already there.  Does he need to get some of the midrange/Kobe shots out of his game?  Sure.  The rest is nitpicking at this point.
maybe. i'm glad he isn't anywhere a team i root for. Still think he is a top 5 player if NBA switched to a 1-on-1 league. 

50 points on 35 shots against a poor defense is fun for the box scores. 

You ask me, Brad Stevens deserves more of the credit, and Kemba is still an impressive pyer if he can stay healthy

You hid your post about Tatum. 🤣

That's bad form. Own it. The man has mamba mentality like few in the league. He is elite. And again scores more than Emibiid ever has. 
did i hide it? didn't even know that. What can i say, when his shots are falling he can do well with total points. when they aren't, not so much.

not a fan of all the hero ball. if it is Steph Curry, and he still passes and shares the ball around, then sure. If it is aguy who ignores wide open teammates to play his own game, he just isn't for me

ETA: just bummed, because i was looking forward to watching the 6'ers sweep 'em. Nets basically get a bye for the 1st round now, so if the Bucks let the Heat hang around it could really help the Nets to let them rest a bit and play a worn down Bucks team

That's one of the best games I've seen Tatum play on offense.  He had the 3 going, but his attacking and getting to the line made the difference.

The team was also locked in defensively.  I think they took like 4 charges as well. They had a rough offensive stretch in the 2nd qtr, but the rest of the game was well played.  They robably don't have enough (especially if Rob Will is really hurt) to get more than a game from Brooklyn, but I'm glad they won this game.  Was a good showing against a decent team.

That's one of the best games I've seen Tatum play on offense.  He had the 3 going, but his attacking and getting to the line made the difference.

The team was also locked in defensively.  They had a rough offensive stretch in the 2nd qtr, but the rest of the game was well played.  They robably don't have enough (especially if Rob Will is really hurt) to get more than a game from Brooklyn, but I'm glad they won this game.  Was a good showing against a decent team.
Yup. Tatum's D was big part of Russ's issues when he was on Russ. And when he wasn't he was still very good. Dropped two late assists to 3 pointers as soon as the double teams extended. He just completely took over. Mamba game.

The play-in tournament is so stupid and unnecessary and I absolutely love it and hope it never goes away. 
i just wonder if it can still make an impact in a few years. A team like the Hornets you could see wanting it to try and get in the playoffs, but if the 7th and 8th seed get obliterated by the 1st and 2nd seeds for a few years will teams still be pushing to make the playoffs to just get crushed in round 1? a young up and coming team i could see go for it, but not sure it will be something all teams push for

So Robert Williams is made of glass or what? can't tell if he is just a soft player, or are all these C's players acting hurt so they can get to Cancun quicker?

ETA: Tatum is 5-15. Hope the C's keep maxing this kid for another 10-15 years. just chuck it up there kid, ignore passing to wide open Fournier or anybody else

maybe. i'm glad he isn't anywhere a team i root for. Still think he is a top 5 player if NBA switched to a 1-on-1 league. 

You ask me, Brad Stevens deserves more of the credit, and Kemba is still an impressive pyer if he can stay healthy
Dude, I like you, hate the Celtics, and hate Tatum, but C'mon.  He's unbelievable.  Take the L here.

The play in is great, has made the regular season better, is very exciting and had so many more players and fans engaged for the end of the season.

IF the Lakers lose to BOTH the Warriors AND the Spurs/Grizzlies, in back to back games, then I don't really think they deserve a playoff spot.

They're playing a team that finished 3 games behind them, and then a team that finished 4 games behind them if they lose that.  If the Lakers lose and the Spurs win, THEN make your 9-games gripe.

i just wonder if it can still make an impact in a few years. A team like the Hornets you could see wanting it to try and get in the playoffs, but if the 7th and 8th seed get obliterated by the 1st and 2nd seeds for a few years will teams still be pushing to make the playoffs to just get crushed in round 1? a young up and coming team i could see go for it, but not sure it will be something all teams push for
How is anything you said different from how it always was? Except now the allure of some round 1 gate and revenue and "playoff experience" is extended from ~9 teams/conference to ~12-13. Combined with flattened lottery and it really felt like even in the rough season we've had game quality post-ASB was way up.

How is anything you said different from how it always was? Except now the allure of some round 1 gate and revenue and "playoff experience" is extended from ~9 teams/conference to ~12-13. Combined with flattened lottery and it really felt like even in the rough season we've had game quality post-ASB was way up.
Not to make everything about the Timberwolves which I do anyway, but if the odds at the top of the lottery were still so weighed towards the top I think they would have found a reason to shut KAT and ANT down and tanked. Luckily, they aren't and they didn't. 

(especially if Rob Will is really hurt)
There are so many weak name abbreviations in the Association Jayrod, but Robert Williams should not be one of them.  He has one of the most spectacular nicknames and it should be used more often. Hopefully Timelord will be healthy for the Nets series. ⏲️🏰

Yeah, when will the Lakers ever catch a break, huh?

Look at 1994 for example.  The Lakers finished in the 9th spot, exactly 9 games back of the Nuggets.  Did they get a shot at #8 seed Denver?  No.  Then Denver gets to face the #1 overall team Seattle in round 1.  I mean they had a 42-40 record and the Sonics were 63-19!?  Seattle should have just received a bye.  :DikembeFingerWag:

The play-in games set up vastly superior basketball for months.  These games are great theater, drove interest in a slew of fan bases, and the one game set-ups are awesome.  Don't overthink this.

Yeah, I bet you would trade Tatum and a lottery pick for a guy like Fultz just so he wasn't on your team. 

:bs:

There are so many weak name abbreviations in the Association Jayrod, but Robert Williams should not be one of them.  He has one of the most spectacular nicknames and it should be used more often. Hopefully Timelord will be healthy for the Nets series. ⏲️🏰
:lmao:  I was just too lazy to type out his full name on my phone last night.  I'll be sure to use Timelord from now on.

Not to make everything about the Timberwolves which I do anyway, but if the odds at the top of the lottery were still so weighed towards the top I think they would have found a reason to shut KAT and ANT down and tanked. Luckily, they aren't and they didn't. 
That's the point I made. Just not team-specifically lol.

Boston will be favored, but I'll go bold (and homer) to say that without Williams and Brown the Celtics are done.  The Cs have no rim protection except for ... gulp, Tristan Thompson.  Ha.   The Ws can throw three different types of centers at him.  Ish Smith will be on the court a lot w Westbrook, so Smith can guard Walker.  Even if Beal plays an average game I think Wiz win by 8+
Perhpas my worst prediction ever.   Tatum played great and Beal looked hobbled on D.   

But I always forget that Scott Brooks still coaches the Bullets.  Fine w him playing Ish a lot, but not fine with him taking the ball out of Westbrook's hands on offense.  It made Westbrook look like a sidepiece.   Not fine with him starting Len over Lopez/Gafford.  Len sucks.  Not fine w his yo-yo playing time decisions with Rui.  Not fine with him letting Bertans get switched into guarding Tatum 500 times without any adjustment.  Bertans can't guard anyone, let alone Tatum.  Bertans in 33 mins had 4 points.  When Bertans isn't scoring, he doesn't play D.  Every fan knows this.  Brooks still confused by it.  Get him out when he's off.  And Brooks didn't post Lopez at all.  

73 games in and Brooks is still searching for who the best 8 players on his team are.  Boston had 8 guys play 10+ mins.  Washington had 11.  Who the hell has 11 players play 10+ mins in the playoffs in a game that was winnable until about 8 mins left?   So much talent on this team. and they've got a completely confused coach. 

Can’t say I’m going to be racing to my tv for Packers-Wizards for the right to the 8 seed. 
I like the idea of the play-in tournament for those cities but I too will not be watching. I'll check the score on my phone and go "huh, good for them."

Perhpas my worst prediction ever.   Tatum played great and Beal looked hobbled on D.   

But I always forget that Scott Brooks still coaches the Bullets.  Fine w him playing Ish a lot, but not fine with him taking the ball out of Westbrook's hands on offense.  It made Westbrook look like a sidepiece.   Not fine with him starting Len over Lopez/Gafford.  Len sucks.  Not fine w his yo-yo playing time decisions with Rui.  Not fine with him letting Bertans get switched into guarding Tatum 500 times without any adjustment.  Bertans can't guard anyone, let alone Tatum.  Bertans in 33 mins had 4 points.  When Bertans isn't scoring, he doesn't play D.  Every fan knows this.  Brooks still confused by it.  Get him out when he's off.  And Brooks didn't post Lopez at all.  

73 games in and Brooks is still searching for who the best 8 players on his team are.  Boston had 8 guys play 10+ mins.  Washington had 11.  Who the hell has 11 players play 10+ mins in the playoffs in a game that was winnable until about 8 mins left?   So much talent on this team. and they've got a completely confused coach. 
has Bertans been bad all year? I remember when he was approaching free agency a lot of hype around him and his ability to shoot the 3, has he just had a down year?

It will be interesting to see if they can bounce back for the Pacers game on Thursday, Wizards looked like a pretty hot team until that Beal hamstring injury

has Bertans been bad all year? I remember when he was approaching free agency a lot of hype around him and his ability to shoot the 3, has he just had a down year?

It will be interesting to see if they can bounce back for the Pacers game on Thursday, Wizards looked like a pretty hot team until that Beal hamstring injury
Yes, Bertans has been mostly terrible all year.  For a big contract player not to start says a lot.  His D is among the worst in the NBA.  He came into the season totally out of condition, which was on him.  He is jacking up terrible 3s because the other team can guard him with their worst player, so when he finally touches it he gets a fallaway 3 from about 26 feet.  The guy can certainly shoot.  There's no doubt about it.  But this year he has brought nothing else to the table.

Yes, Bertans has been mostly terrible all year.
It said a lot yesterday when Bertans was crumpled on the ground (after getting hit in the throat) and the Wiz just kept playing a possession on defense without fouling and then took a shot on offense with him sort of there.  As in, this guy doesn't bring much when he's active anyway - just keep playing.  The guy has become the item you forgot in the house when you leave, get two blocks away and still decide you've gone too far already...and keep going.

It said a lot yesterday when Bertans was crumpled on the ground (after getting hit in the throat) and the Wiz just kept playing a possession on defense without fouling and then took a shot on offense with him sort of there.  As in, this guy doesn't bring much when he's active anyway - just keep playing.  The guy has become the item you forgot in the house when you leave, get two blocks away and still decide you've gone too far already...and keep going.
My wife?

I like the idea of the play-in tournament for those cities but I too will not be watching. I'll check the score on my phone and go "huh, good for them."
IMO, if the play-in caused even one franchise to play hard and not do what the Thunder did the second half of the year (which, pardon my old man take here, was super disrespectful to the fans of both teams who tuned in to watch their games), then it was worth it. 

Users who are viewing this thread