What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (14 Viewers)

mr fancypants said:
Warriors busy trying to finalizing a trade for Kelly Oubre Jr. using the 17.2 trade exemption.
thought about him (and OKC's apparent desire to own every pick in a future draft) before coming up w Fournier, but adding Oubre's chesty inconsistencies to a fancy rook @ center are next-level scenarios for pissing off Draymond into live-retiring like he did last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
modogg said:
will be interesting. I guess Tatum will play this year out and sign his extension next year? they will certainly need to max him. Will be interesting to see what they can do, and if any free agents want to go there. it just seems like they can get solid guys to come in, and they look to leave, and leave a little bitterly. No idea if Ainge even handles the contract negotiations, but you have to wonder if he is getting a bad reputation. 

For Gordon to opt out of the $34 million is a ton of money to turn away from. I don't know what his aim is, but they do talk about how him and his family are not happy with the situation. 

Just seems like the idea of the East being weak is starting to erode a bit, and it seems like there are a few times getting better and Boston is beginning to slide into that mid-tier group outside of the top 3-4 teams. 
He is opting out because he will get a new deal, same as Horford...these guys are not winging it, they absolutely know another deal is waiting for them...as for free agents not going there they have signed Horford, Hayward and Kemba the last five years...while not LeBron those are all high quality signings of all star caliber players...they are not a destination like LA or Miami but they can get players to go there...not sure why you think they are gonna slide...their core is still young and no doubt Hayward helps them but he has missed a ton of time with the C's and while he had his moments he never really settled in due to the horrific injury...they got to the Eastern Conference championship with him missing 3 games against Philly and the whole Toronto series...the issue is not sliding but whether Ainge can get them to the next level...if they don't do a sign and trade with Hayward there is no doubt that task gets more difficult.

He is opting out because he will get a new deal, same as Horford...these guys are not winging it, they absolutely know another deal is waiting for them...as for free agents not going there they have signed Horford, Hayward and Kemba the last five years...while not LeBron those are all high quality signings of all star caliber players...they are not a destination like LA or Miami but they can get players to go there...not sure why you think they are gonna slide...their core is still young and no doubt Hayward helps them but he has missed a ton of time with the C's and while he had his moments he never really settled in due to the horrific injury...they got to the Eastern Conference championship with him missing 3 games against Philly and the whole Toronto series...the issue is not sliding but whether Ainge can get them to the next level...if they don't do a sign and trade with Hayward there is no doubt that task gets more difficult.
man, that Philly series was over halfway through that game 1. That was all-time low spot for the Sixers, and basically was telling that there was no way that same team could step on the court again. 

And reason i think they may slide is that i think there are other teams getting better. Sixers are a question mark like every season for the past decade, but i do feel they will be better then last year. Brooklyn will be better as well, and i have to think Miami keeps moving in the right direction. That takes us down to Toronto, Indiana and Boston. Toronto seems out on Van Fleet, but i thought they would take a big hit last year and they didn't. And if Indiana can hold onto Oladipo, i would think they are the 4th best in the East. 

man, that Philly series was over halfway through that game 1. That was all-time low spot for the Sixers, and basically was telling that there was no way that same team could step on the court again. 

And reason i think they may slide is that i think there are other teams getting better. Sixers are a question mark like every season for the past decade, but i do feel they will be better then last year. Brooklyn will be better as well, and i have to think Miami keeps moving in the right direction. That takes us down to Toronto, Indiana and Boston. Toronto seems out on Van Fleet, but i thought they would take a big hit last year and they didn't. And if Indiana can hold onto Oladipo, i would think they are the 4th best in the East. 
I'm not worried about sliding because Tatum and Brown (they are 22 and 24) still have plenty more upside and in Tatum's case it could be top 5-10 player upside...the question is can they consistently become the best team in the east...I think they are close (ECF 3 of last 4 years) but unless Ainge figures something out their current flaws will limit them...as stated above they have some intriguing youth (Nesmith really excites me) but they are gonna need more veteran help as you can't rely on that...as for the rest of the East the Bucks are very formidable but have been playoff underachievers and I still need to see Giannis sign an extension,  Miami is a high quality team that still has upside and a team that can definitely lure another big name, I really don't know what to make of the Nets until I see Durant play and see Kyrie not act like an idiot for an extended period of time, the Sixers are a threat but I still don't buy the Joel-Ben combo as a championship contender, I really respect the Toronto organization but I think they have peaked and I view Indy as a nice team who can play but not a legit threat to go the distance...will be an interesting offseason as this is a very strong group and a quality move or two could be the difference.

Free agency is going to be crazy tomorrow.  In other years,  key players sometimes wanted to take a lot of meetings in days after free agency "began" and that would be a bottleneck in other deals getting done.  Now because of covid, there won't be much of that.  Most of the players already know where they are going.  Shams and Woj will be tweeting bomb after bomb once the clock strikes 5:00.

Yikes if true....

Love Oubre and was saddened to see the Suns give away another forward for a 2nd straight offseason, but...

......this is just crazy.

@TheSteinLine

Golden State's tax bill would actually zoom past $130 million ...

With Kelly Oubre accounting for $68+ million in luxury tax ...

Making Oubre an $80+ million player next season
@BobbyMarks42

Golden State tax bill is currently $66M

The addition of Kelly Oubre would see it increase to $134M

$14.4M of Oubre + $68M in taxes= $82.4M

Stein Line

The NBA has opened an investigation of the reported transaction involving Milwaukee and Sacramento that was to send Bogdan Bogdanovic to the Bucks via sign-and-trade after Friday's scheduled start of free agency, @NYTSports has learned

With Avery Bradley opting out, the Lakers now have enough space under the potential hard cap for AD’s max, the full mid-level, and to give KCP a decent raise (just not a crazy one). 

With Avery Bradley opting out, the Lakers now have enough space under the potential hard cap for AD’s max, the full mid-level, and to give KCP a decent raise (just not a crazy one). 
Dwight Howard will be looking for more money as well. I figure he's gone. I know he wasn't everything, but he was a useful rotation player. I think McGee is going to test the market as well,  so they'll have to find a fill in at C.

expensive 9th seed
Really wonder if they should blow this up now. 

Steph turns 33 this season. Klay will be 32 before he plays another game (after 2 years off). (Try) to deal Draymond before his value caters even further.....probably easier said then done with 4 years remaining on that deal. One of the all-time best role players....but we saw last year he was JAG out there last season. Didn't elevate his game....he was just kinda out there going through motions barely noticeable on the court all season.

But sounds like they're in the final stages of this Oubre deal. He's literally a $80 million player this season. Man, love him, but really got to question this.

Free agency is going to be crazy tomorrow.  In other years,  key players sometimes wanted to take a lot of meetings in days after free agency "began" and that would be a bottleneck in other deals getting done.  Now because of covid, there won't be much of that.  Most of the players already know where they are going.  Shams and Woj will be tweeting bomb after bomb once the clock strikes 5:00.
Best part is I got off tomorrow so I can enjoy the madness. 

Really wonder if they should blow this up now. 

Steph turns 33 this season. Klay will be 32 before he plays another game (after 2 years off). (Try) to deal Draymond before his value caters even further.....probably easier said then done with 4 years remaining on that deal. One of the all-time best role players....but we saw last year he was JAG out there last season. Didn't elevate his game....he was just kinda out there going through motions barely noticeable on the court all season.

But sounds like they're in the final stages of this Oubre deal. He's literally a $80 million player this season. Man, love him, but really got to question this.
Jesus!!!!! I didn't realize those two were that old already. They are both my age or a few months older/younger then I am right now. Time flys 

Stein Line

The NBA has opened an investigation of the reported transaction involving Milwaukee and Sacramento that was to send Bogdan Bogdanovic to the Bucks via sign-and-trade after Friday's scheduled start of free agency, @NYTSports has learned
Literally everybody tampers, and the league decides that it's gonna go hard at the Bucks.  They literally are doing everything possible to try to get Giannis out of Milwaukee. So transparent and pathetic.

The Knicks should be doing nothing with that cap space other than taking on someone else's expensive short term contract(s) and grabbing more picks for doing so. 

Teams are allowed to talk to each other about trades. For a sign and trade the player has to sign with the existing team. So technically the new team isn’t talking to the player about signing with them. The player is signing with his current team. So no tampering. 

Gordon Hayward must already have a long-term deal somewhere if he is walking away from 34 million.

I keep reading it is the Knicks. Thibodeau will run Hayward into the ground. 

Literally everybody tampers, and the league decides that it's gonna go hard at the Bucks.  They literally are doing everything possible to try to get Giannis out of Milwaukee. So transparent and pathetic.
Everyone tampers and the NBA knows they can’t enforce it. What made this one so egregious is having the signing announced (through the Woj/Shams channel) before free agency started.  Other deals are waiting for 5:00 this evening. I don’t believe it’s an anti-small market bias, no other teams this year did what happened here. 

If it is dead, I’d have to guess the latter. I don’t think execs at two teams would leak that a sign and trade was a done deal without speaking to the player supposedly signing. There were some analysts who reacted to the trade by noting Atlanta was willing to offer more salary - maybe Bogdan got wind of that?
Heard more about this on podcasts with Amick and O’Connor. I guess a prior version of this trade had Bledsoe (maybe other parts too, plus picks) going to Sacramento which would have enabled Bogdan to sign for more money. The Jrue deal took a lot of those pieces off the table. Apparently the Bucks & Bogdan had a miscommunication about whether he’d still sign for a bit less. Amick says the Bucks are pretty ticked off about it. 

Heard more about this on podcasts with Amick and O’Connor. I guess a prior version of this trade had Bledsoe (maybe other parts too, plus picks) going to Sacramento which would have enabled Bogdan to sign for more money. The Jrue deal took a lot of those pieces off the table. Apparently the Bucks & Bogdan had a miscommunication about whether he’d still sign for a bit less. Amick says the Bucks are pretty ticked off about it. 
At least he'll have a lot of time to enjoy his extra money, because wherever he ends up going he won't have to worry about playing in the playoffs.

WTFFFFFFFF
I love that the tax is working exactly as it is intended to work.  If Golden State simply let KD walk instead of doing a sign in trade to get another big salary (Dwill) then double down by trading for an even worse contract (and the delicious pick) they wouldn't be in this situation.  Kudos to them for maximizing assets and use of the salary cap, but I love that it costs them so dearly and is good for the league overall.

I love that the tax is working exactly as it is intended to work.  If Golden State simply let KD walk instead of doing a sign in trade to get another big salary (Dwill) then double down by trading for an even worse contract (and the delicious pick) they wouldn't be in this situation.  Kudos to them for maximizing assets and use of the salary cap, but I love that it costs them so dearly and is good for the league overall.
:goodposting:  

No one can ever accuse Warriors ownership of not trying to do everything to win. $80 freaking million for Kelly Oubre. And I'm probably the biggest Oubre supporter on the board having seen the impact he had on the team with his energy in Phoenix.

Steph isn't Steph w/o Klay. Draymond is JAG w/o Steph and Klay (man are they gonna regret Green's contract IMO in the coming years if they aren't winning). Their outside shooting has defined their run. And with this roster, outside of Steph, that aspect is going to be real rough this season.

:goodposting:  

No one can ever accuse Warriors ownership of not trying to do everything to win. $80 freaking million for Kelly Oubre. And I'm probably the biggest Oubre supporter on the board having seen the impact he had on the team with his energy in Phoenix.

Steph isn't Steph w/o Klay. Draymond is JAG w/o Steph and Klay (man are they gonna regret Green's contract IMO in the coming years if they aren't winning). Their outside shooting has defined their run. And with this roster, outside of Steph, that aspect is going to be real rough this season.
Sign and Trade for Hayward?

Going into next year who out west could take out the LeBrons? 

Warriors? They’re done now. 

Clips? Probably the best chance. They really choked in the bubble but that bubble was screwing with people. 

Nuggets? They’re fun as hell but nah. Not unless Porter or Bol makes some insane leap. 

Sun, Jazz, Blazers are all fun and likely good but no chance in a series. Rockets are dead. Really hard to imagine Lebron not winning the west again. 

In the East it seems like only Milwaukee and maybe Brooklyn if they get Harden could take them as well.

Clips? Probably the best chance. They really choked in the bubble but that bubble was screwing with people. 

Nuggets? They’re fun as hell but nah. Not unless Porter or Bol makes some insane leap. 

Sun, Jazz, Blazers are all fun and likely good but no chance in a series. Rockets are dead. Really hard to imagine Lebron not winning the west again. 

In the East it seems like only Milwaukee and maybe Brooklyn if they get Harden could take them as well.
Need to see how the Lakers fill out the roster. I think LeBron is going to be taking a lot of games off this year, so who they have on the bench will have an impact on where they seed in the playoffs. Seeding may not mean much if they're in the bubble again or playing to empty stands.

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

Indiana continues to explore sign-and-trade pathways to try acquire Gordon Hayward from Boston, league sources say The Knicks, as covered here yesterday, remain a suitor for Hayward with their salary-cap space

10:41 AM · Nov 20, 2020

am i reading the thinking on this correctly... GS is locked in to paying an additional $68mm penalty because the Oubre contract pushes them over the cap limit?

there is absolutely nothing they can do? they're just locked in at this point? they can't make any roster moves, restructure any contracts, etc. to change their payroll.. they, somehow, didn't realize that paying one player $14mm would actually cost them $82mm?

that what the hot take of the day is today?

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

Indiana continues to explore sign-and-trade pathways to try acquire Gordon Hayward from Boston, league sources say The Knicks, as covered here yesterday, remain a suitor for Hayward with their salary-cap space

10:41 AM · Nov 20, 2020
Turner in green would be a sweet sight

No Mavs love?

No Mavs love?
I know I want to see how Mavs do in free agency. 

I REALLY REALLY disliked that Seth Curry deal. Was a huge weapon for Luca and them. Isn't to dig at Josh Richardson.....just wasn't a fan of dealing unquestionably one of the league's top 3 shooters on a heck of a long term deal for IMO Tim Hardaway Jr. (who has now opted in) 2.0.

I know I want to see how Mavs do in free agency. 

I REALLY REALLY disliked that Seth Curry deal. Was a huge weapon for Luca and them. Isn't to dig at Josh Richardson.....just wasn't a fan of dealing unquestionably one of the league's top 3 shooters on a heck of a long term deal for IMO Tim Hardaway Jr. (who has now opted in) 2.0.
I loved the Seth deal :)

Users who are viewing this thread