Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020-21 NBA Thread: AROD buys Timberwolves to satisfy lifelong dream of living in Minnesota


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty sure I had an easier time quitting heroin than you are having with this.

Yes. He's the commissioner now. 

this thread gets ridiculous when people proclaim that lebron james who has won multiple titles and has basically carried teams to the finals for every year for about a decade would stink and spend mos

17 minutes ago, Boston said:

The fact that the Knicks passed on him maybe the first sign of life they have had in recent memory.

My guess is the Knicks passed on including any assets, but would have absorbed him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

My guess is the Knicks passed on including any assets, but would have absorbed him.

And Houston wouldn't have preferred that? :lol:

I'm assuming they've seen Wall play recently this offseason to have taken his deal on. 

I don't think the Knicks had any interest at all for the Rockets to take on Wall's deal (Again I'm assuming they've seen Wall play recently this offseason :lol: )

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Boston said:

The fact that the Knicks passed on him maybe the first sign of life they have had in recent memory.

I’m not sure they will pull it off but I think they finally have a plan to build a team organically.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I’m not sure they will pull it off but I think they finally have a plan to build a team organically.

They are the biggest sleeping giant in sports...if they can ever get their act together NBA players will flock to play there...the x-factor is and always will be Dolan but the fact the Rangers are actually being run correctly now is a good sign as well.

Edited by Boston
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I hated Morey's later work and his yolo mentality, I'm still a fan of his.  Philly will see an improvement.  I'm sure he's laughing at the Rockets taking on Wall.  I don't understand the move.  And with the protections, that 1st is likely garbage.  Between the Texans and Rockets, I don't think I've seen two 'contenders' fall so fast.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

Hot Stove talk of a Randle and Franky Smokes trade for Hield...CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!

Just what every team wants -- an overdribbling under the rim undersized big that can't shoot or defend!!!

Kings won't have a problem moving Hield if they want to with his declining structured contract. In a down year, he shot just less than 40% from 3. Certainly wouldn't move him for Randle who isn't a complimentary player.

 

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

 

Kings won't have a problem moving Hield if they want to with his declining structured contract. In a down year, he shot just less than 40% from 3. Certainly wouldn't move him for Randle who isn't a complimentary player.

 

The reporting was that they had no takers for him a couple weeks ago. :shrug:

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

Wow - AD for 5/$190M - didn’t expect him to sign for so long. 

So looking back at the AD trade, LAL have to be feeling pretty good about these picks. AD locked up for so long means they won't likely to be shipping any lotto picks to NOLA:

Multiple reports added that the Pelicans’ total haul of draft picks includes: this year’s No. 4 overall selection, a top-eight protected pick in 2021 (which becomes unprotected in 2022 if it does not convey), the right to swap first-round picks with the Lakers in 2023, and an unprotected 2024 first-round pick that New Orleans can defer to 2025.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I’m not sure they will pull it off but I think they finally have a plan to build a team organically.

i mean, they are at least not signing long-term deals, but otherwise their plan seems to be shuffle the deck chairs each year around young "talent" with free agents who don't make much sense with said talent or with each other.

but if they can get a top 5 pick next year and maximize their cap space next offseason, then they would be in a pretty good spot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really don't think that you can count on anyone on this Knicks team being part of a winning core:

-Robinson is good, but will he definitely translate to a strong playoff team?  Maybe, but not a guarantee.  Can certainly be a piece.

-Barrett is who they want to build around, but if Robinson is a big part of the plan, then they are going to need some killer shooting at the other 3 positions. 

-Knox has shown almost nothing to inspire confidence.

-Toppin, well i guess we will see what happens, but very far from a known commodity to be any kind of a contributor.

-A few 1% flyers like omari and iggy (and I guess Dennis Smith Jr., but this category seems charitable).

So we will see, but IMO, they kind of have nothing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, trader jake said:

Also, Scott Brooks gets to coach the lovable Russell Westbrook again. 😒

The Wiz could use someone with a tougher attitude on the team.  Wall isn't that person.  They have talent, but soft talent.  Beal and Bertans are excellent shooters and are not soft.  But the other guys are - Rui, Bryant, Bonga.  I'll assume the young draft pick Deni is too at his age.

The Wiz have gone from a lineup last year of:  Ish Smith, Beal, Bertans, Rui, and Mahimi   to     Westbrook, Beal, Bertans, Rui, and Bryant with Wagner, Lopez, Smith, Robinson, Deni, Brown and Bonga off the bench.  Pretty good depth even if the front court starters are lacking.

They'd be dead in the Western Conference.  But in the east that's a good group.  Much better than it would be if Wall was the PG.

This was the end of Wall in DC.  Not the injuries.....  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2806897-report-john-wall-fined-by-wizards-after-yelling-f-k-you-to-scott-brooks

 

Edited by Brunell4MVP
Link to post
Share on other sites

two players who've never understood the 2nd part. they are indeed paid so much because of what they do so well, but they are employed to win ball games. i cant remember if Brooks was able to convey some of that in his first go-round w Westbrook, because he became a truly terrifying ballplayer under him, but i do know that John Wall has never been made to know that

Edited by wikkidpissah
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

The Wiz could use someone with a tougher attitude on the team.  Wall isn't that person.  They have talent, but soft talent.  Beal and Bertans are excellent shooters and are not soft.  But the other guys are - Rui, Bryant, Bonga.  I'll assume the young draft pick Deni is too at his age.

The Wiz have gone from a lineup last year of:  Ish Smith, Beal, Bertans, Rui, and Mahimi   to     Westbrook, Beal, Bertans, Rui, and Bryant with Wagner, Lopez, Smith, Robinson, Deni, Brown and Bonga off the bench.  Pretty good depth even if the front court starters are lacking.

They'd be dead in the Western Conference.  But in the east that's a good group.  Much better than it would be if Wall was the PG.

This was the end of Wall in DC.  Not the injuries.....  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2806897-report-john-wall-fined-by-wizards-after-yelling-f-k-you-to-scott-brooks

 

my understanding is that one of Deni's strengths is toughness.

Quote

 

Sheppard remembers watching Avdija play a friendly against the Serbian national team in a not-so-friendly environment. He was impressed with how unfazed the young forward seemed.

“I’ve been playing for over three years, and I’ve played with a lot of ex-NBA players. I played in the EuroLeague, the second-best league in the world, and the competition level was very high. I’ve kind of faced a lot of challenges. It made me a better player,” Avdija said Thursday in a virtual news conference from Israel. “. . . I’m a big competitor. I like to win. I’ll do anything for the team. I’ll give 100 percent. It’s definitely something I got from my parents, not just my dad; both my parents are very competitive. I remember going back home after losses; it wasn’t easy.”

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

two players who've never understood the 2nd part. they are indeed paid so much because of what they do so well, but they are employed to win ball games. i cant remember if Brooks was able to convey some of that in his first go-round w Westbrook, because he became a truly terrifying ballplayer under him, but i do know that John Wall has never been made to know that

Before these recent injuries and bouts with being a malcontent, Wall was really freaking good and nowhere near the me-first player that Westbrook is. I suspect Wall is done as an effective player because he was so dependent on athleticism, but if he’s healthy I’d take him over Westbrook. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

@Capella  Are the strip clubs in Houston really that different than those in DC?  I mean I know he'll have more fund with Harden rehabbing....

Back in the day, Houston strip clubs reigned supreme but other cities have caught up.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sammy3469 said:

@Capella  Are the strip clubs in Houston really that different than those in DC?  I mean I know he'll have more fund with Harden rehabbing....

Time to update the Harden graphic with his stats in certain cities vs the quality of 'entertainment' available the night before.  In fact, someone needs to create the same chart for John Wall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sammy3469 said:

@Capella  Are the strip clubs in Houston really that different than those in DC?  I mean I know he'll have more fund with Harden rehabbing....

Tampa would fly in Houston girls for big events. Never heard of them doing that for DC, so I am speculating that he is upgrading there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The strip clubs in DC shouldn't even exist.  So bad.  NBA guys have plenty of coin to do it the right way.  DC isn't it.

There used to be Club 55 over in the DC SE that the brother athletes would go to..  We called it the "Double Nickel".  I went twice and we were the only white guys in there.  It was awful but you'd always see athletes.  One of the two nights a Redskins WR bought the meal for our table for unknown reasons, plus dropped a whole bunch of fives on the table for us to spend.  I'm sure it's closed down after 20 years.  What a s#!thole

 

Edited by Brunell4MVP
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

@wojespn

 James Harden has recently indicated to Houston he'd be open to a trade to Philadelphia or other contenders. So far, no substantive talks with Sixers. Daryl Morey's been adamant he wants to keep his two young stars.

 

Brooklyn never ever made ANY sense....unless they found a 3rd party. 

You CAN NOT deal James Harden and wind up with Caris Levert as the centerpiece. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Brooklyn never ever made ANY sense....unless they found a 3rd party. 

You CAN NOT deal James Harden and wind up with Caris Levert as the centerpiece. 

I don't see what the 76ers can offer either assuming Simmons and Embiid stay.  I don't think Houston would take Tobias.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I don't see what the 76ers can offer either assuming Simmons and Embiid stay.  I don't think Houston would take Tobias.

Yeah I'd assume one of Simmons or Embiid would be gone.With them taking on Wall (and not another loaded contract), I'd question the Simmons fit at this point  

I'd roll with Harden in Hou unless someone blows socks off with offer before season. I think Covington was a huge blow with his ability to guard 1-5 but at least interested to see how Wood/Wall/Cousins fit (or least see them potentially implode). Houston has him under contract for several more seasons.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate how Harden is handling this.  Decimating his trade value.  Either little awareness or he just doesn't care about Houston.  Likely both.  The franchise can't have another lopsided trade, I just don't see a team that makes sense unless Philly gives up Simmons.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

for decades, i been praying at each star-hijack that the team holds the line. if i was rich enough to own a basketball team, i would not only let him sit for two years but go to court and insist that he's not a free agent until he plays the two years he owes the team and sue to have his "health" monitored by independent arbitration and possibly seek damages for causing willful harm to the company. alas, my prayers are likely to be answered as all others have been.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

for decades, i been praying at each star-hijack that the team holds the line. if i was rich enough to own a basketball team, i would not only let him sit for two years but go to court and insist that he's not a free agent until he plays the two years he owes the team and sue to have his "health" monitored by independent arbitration and possibly seek damages for causing willful harm to the company. alas, my prayers are likely to be answered as all others have been.

You wouldn't need to go to court because he wouldn't become a free agent if he just sat out the two years. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, Major said:

I hate how Harden is handling this.  Decimating his trade value.  Either little awareness or he just doesn't care about Houston.  Likely both.  The franchise can't have another lopsided trade, I just don't see a team that makes sense unless Philly gives up Simmons.  

I sympathize with his distaste for Fertitta but it's sad because he's mostly hurting himself and the fans.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

I don't see what the 76ers can offer either assuming Simmons and Embiid stay.  I don't think Houston would take Tobias.

I don’t know what to think. If I had the option to swap Harden and Simmons I would, even as a process guy.  Still hope it doesn’t happen before the season or at all really.  Harden may be seemingly diminishing his value this week and Fritatta might prefer not to deal with Morey but deals defy my logic all the time.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Major said:

I hate how Harden is handling this.  Decimating his trade value.  Either little awareness or he just doesn't care about Houston.  Likely both.  The franchise can't have another lopsided trade, I just don't see a team that makes sense unless Philly gives up Simmons.  

I mean - I guess if you are going to demand a trade, you want your trade value to be as low as possible. So the team you go to gives up as little as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not one who gets bent out of shape by athlete's holding out to change their situation, but this Harden thing is just gross. I don't think anyone has ever had a team built around them the way he has, and that includes Lebron. Then he continually fails in the playoffs and now wants out? He's lucky Morey is gone so he can at least use that angle, but otherwise just ew. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I learned that former player and Toronto coach Adrian Griffin has three kids playing in college right now. Sons at Duke and Syracuse and a daughter at UConn. 

That's a remarkable hit rate. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, whoknew said:

I mean - I guess if you are going to demand a trade, you want your trade value to be as low as possible. So the team you go to gives up as little as possible.

It's circa 2017-18 Kawhi season all over again, bet he ends up with mysterious soft tissue injuries off and on.  I guarantee you he will do at least the minimum to keep getting that check.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flranger said:

It's circa 2017-18 Kawhi season all over again, bet he ends up with mysterious soft tissue injuries off and on.  I guarantee you he will do at least the minimum to keep getting that check.

Yes. Kawhi established the move now. Houston should trade him and Philly should give up Simmons for him. Otherwise Houston should move him to Orlando or something. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

Last night I learned that former player and Toronto coach Adrian Griffin has three kids playing in college right now. Sons at Duke and Syracuse and a daughter at UConn. 

That's a remarkable hit rate. 

He's former Oakland SS Alfredo Griffins son so it makes sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Capella said:

Yes. Kawhi established the move now. Houston should trade him and Philly should give up Simmons for him. Otherwise Houston should move him to Orlando or something. 

I say trade him back to OKC for all the Houston draft picks and call it a wash.  

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Capella changed the title to 2020-21 NBA Thread: AROD buys Timberwolves to satisfy lifelong dream of living in Minnesota

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...