What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (2 Viewers)

Somebody up thread said I act like he’s a D-leaguer and it’s not that, it’s just that he’s so obviously talented and it doesn’t seem like he’s working to get better. Something like that shot from an NBA player is embarrassing, period. 
you turned the corner on Fultz right? give Simmons a bit of a chance?

SayWhat? said:
Kind of proves the point though, no?  That’s the type of haul that the James Hardens and Paul George’s command.  That the Rockets preferred a half year look at Oladipo and a bunch of flier 1sts and 1st swaps is indeed telling about where Simmons falls on the franchise player spectrum.  If he was one, the Rockets don’t pass on him for a bunch of maybe picks.  No way.
disagree a little. One variable that wasn't spoke about much with the Houston trade of Harden is that Houston is now out of the luxury tax. If people don't think Fertitta had a hand in the deal and put a focus on saving money, i think they are missing some of the point. All of these draft picks make it easier to save some money for him

a lot. You see videos just hooting and hitting 3s from the corner and around the 3 point line. 

That is why it can be so infuriating. As a fan of his, i am perfectly fine with him air balling some shots. First hurdle he has is to take some of those shots when he is open. He hits them in practice, so once he overcomes that mental hurdle he will start to make progress. 

Very glad Doc brought in Sam Cassell to work directly with him, and we have a stronger coaching and front office staff. I am fine not worrying a ton about his last 3 seasons and seeing where he can go from here. if he makes 0 progress this year and going into next, then i am fine agreeing with 70% of his thread that Simmons is no good and should be gone. but let's give him a bit of time with a new focused coaching staff
Yeah, absolutely can see how it could be infuriating.   As anyone who plays a sport knows, it is very hard to A) change your technique, B) make it a true habit, C) apply that changed habit/technique in the heat of the moment while competing.   It really does take time.  And a lot of it can be psychological.

I don't really have any stake in this debate.   It's just crazy to see an NBA player airball a wide open 3.  

So OT, the Bucks and the Warriors are just formalities? Probable championship🤣🤣
OT and that Bucks series, yes formalities. If Warriors had the same injuries, then yes Sixers had probably better than a 50% chance of winning the championship. Would have been interesting if that occurred if Sixers would have kept Butler and not made that horrendous off-season moves to max Toby and sign Horford to that bad contract

I can't remember, but did Lakers fans get all hurt and defensive when everyone made fun of Shaq and his free throw shooting all the time?

If Draymond Green has a place on a championship team then Simmons can too......just need surround Simmons with 2 of the greatest shooters ever. 

To be realistic Simmons can be a championship starter, but he'll have to settle in as a screener and secondary ball handler like Draymond. It's just tough to succeed in PHI with Embiid as the Franchise. I wish POR and PHI would think about swapping Simmons for CJ/Dame. That trade would instantly help both franchises.

If Draymond Green has a place on a championship team then Simmons can too......just need surround Simmons with 2 of the greatest shooters ever. 

To be realistic Simmons can be a championship starter, but he'll have to settle in as a screener and secondary ball handler like Draymond. It's just tough to succeed in PHI with Embiid as the Franchise. I wish POR and PHI would think about swapping Simmons for CJ/Dame. That trade would instantly help both franchises.
If Simmons could shoot like Draymond did back when he was good, Simmons would be an MVP candidate. 

Turned on the Nets/Bucks game and for a second I thought my tv was on black and white mode.  Not a big fan of the light grey color of the court.  

If Simmons could shoot like Draymond did back when he was good, Simmons would be an MVP candidate. 
100%

Love the comment is now "If Draymond has a place". At least it's accepting he's been unnoticeable and useless the past year and a half. And now one of the worst contracts in the sport. Only another 3 seasons after this one. 

And fittingly, Green also now can't shoot :)

Last edited by a moderator:
100%

Love the comment is now "If Draymond has a place". At least it's accepting he's been unnoticeable and useless the past year and a half. And now one of the worst contracts in the sport. Only another 3 seasons after this one. 

And fittingly, Green also now can't shoot :)
I mean, you can say that Draymond is useless, but they looked horrific as a team without him this year.  And they've been decently competitive with him.   So....is he useless?   Nah.

Bad contract?  Definitely.

Ben is considered a top 5 NBA player??? News to me. 
From just one page prior:

wikkid:  "there aint 5 guys i'd rather start a team with"

You:  "he's still one of the top players in the league."

So evidently two people in the last page have expressed that he's still a top player - in one case explicitly top-5.

From just one page prior:

wikkid:  "there aint 5 guys i'd rather start a team with"

You:  "he's still one of the top players in the league."

So evidently two people in the last page have expressed that he's still a top player - in one case explicitly top-5.
Yes I said a top player. I believe I said top 50. Do you agree?  

Yes I said a top player. I believe I said top 50. Do you agree?  
I quoted you directly.  You may have written top-50 in a different post somewhere, but the quote above is exactly as written.  Which meant I had no idea what "top player" meant, other than if I thought a guy was top-50, I wouldn't write "top player".   But hey, that's just me.

Yes, Simmons is clearly top-50.

I quoted you directly.  You may have written top-50 in a different post somewhere, but the quote above is exactly as written.  Which meant I had no idea what "top player" meant, other than if I thought a guy was top-50, I wouldn't write "top player".   But hey, that's just me.

Yes, Simmons is clearly top-50.
I'd say he's in the top 10% of the NBA, I consider the top 10% to be a " top player" 

But yes, you responded to my Kaminsky post with a response to another poster. I do not believe Ben is a top 5 player. Prob never will be. He was an all-star though, so I consider those guys the top players. 

I'd say he's in the top 10% of the NBA, I consider the top 10% to be a " top player" 

But yes, you responded to my Kaminsky post with a response to another poster. I do not believe Ben is a top 5 player. Prob never will be. He was an all-star though, so I consider those guys the top players. 
Cool.  Sorry to be annoying.  I was just trying to go back and interpret.  I knew that someone had written "top 5" - turns out that was wikkid, who likes to write crazy stuff. ;)

Any other great nuggets for us there coach??
I appreciate that you are able to go back and do this research For me.  It is a valuable use of time and wise to make sure to follow my commentary.

I am surprised at hunters development, so good on him, though surely Their many injuries haven’t had anything to do with their rotation changing.

Cool.  Sorry to be annoying.  I was just trying to go back and interpret.  I knew that someone had written "top 5" - turns out that was wikkid, who likes to write crazy stuff. ;)
for the record, i said there arent 5 guys i'd rather start a team with. i put it that way cuz i think i could beat some folks with my new point-center. and i like to write crazy stuff.  :loco:

Watching the Brooklyn-Milwaukee game and the Nets look good, but the color scheme of that court is awful.  I know it is supposed to be an homage to playground courts and all, but It looks like it was designed by a Russian novelist.  No thanks.

I mean, you can say that Draymond is useless, but they looked horrific as a team without him this year.  And they've been decently competitive with him.   So....is he useless?   Nah.

Bad contract?  Definitely.
You would think that as much as Draymond likes to take under his wing and dole out defense advice to the likes of Wiggins and Wiseman, he would seek some out in return from Curry (arguably the GOAT shooter) to fix that awful looking 3 point shot he has . 

Watching the Brooklyn-Milwaukee game and the Nets look good, but the color scheme of that court is awful.  I know it is supposed to be an homage to playground courts and all, but It looks like it was designed by a Russian novelist.  No thanks.
I said the same at first, but it’s growing on me.  

For the record, Simmons is a top 30 NBA player as is.  Rondo is probably the best comparison.  He has specific skills that are rare, but his shooting is a detriment that needs a creative coach to make effective.  That was decidedly NOT Brett Brown. Oddly enough, he has Rondo's old coach but they don't have Garnett, Pierce and Allen.  Not sure if Doc has it in him to get the most out of Simmons, but I think it has a shot to work.  Problem is they are now looking up at two teams with more talent in the East and a couple of other teams that are at their level.  I don't see them making the Finals as constructed without a leap forward from Simmons and Harris and more consistent effort from Embiid.

Any other great nuggets for us there coach??
Hunter and Capela have been head and shoulders their best players this year. They're also the ones that play on both ends of the court.

I'd be surprised if Collins were in ATL at the end of the year (upcoming FA).

For them to start winning consistently they need Trey Young to stop thinking he's Steph Curry and become more of a distributor. The shots will come anyway. 

Bob Myers is one of the best GMs. Turning departing KD into Wiggins and Minnesota lottery pick is looking like a Franchise saving move with the way Wiggings has been playing defense.

I guess Harden was too expensive for philly but yesterday watching HipsterHarden get to the rim, line or step back is tough compared to the Ben Simmons ‘barrel into the lane for a jump pass’ move.  

Cavs expected to trade or release Kevin Porter Jr after an outburst in the locker room last week according to the Athletic. (Apparently they gave his locker to Taurean Prince after they acquired him)

Guy seems like may be dealing with some issues upstairs (hasn't played this year either and believe he's been away from the team). Looked pretty promising last year.

Cavs expected to trade or release Kevin Porter Jr after an outburst in the locker room last week according to the Athletic. (Apparently they gave his locker to Taurean Prince after they acquired him)

Guy seems like may be dealing with some issues upstairs (hasn't played this year either and believe he's been away from the team). Looked pretty promising last year.
The Cavaliers are planning to release or trade Kevin Porter Jr. after an outburst in the locker room.

Porter Jr., who has yet to play this season with what the Cavaliers are calling personal reasons, "grew angry" when he walked into the locker room to find that they gave his locker to Taurean Prince. The second-year guard began yelling and threw food, and when GM Koby Altman tried to confront him, KPJ remained "combative." The Cavaliers spent the weekend trying to trade him with no luck so far. He's a very talented player, but the off-court issues continue to hold him back.
  :lmao:  

As a long term Nets fan this is still surreal to me.....I would love to see an NBA title in my life time but it will be much less satisfaction than if they would have pulled it off in the Kidd run...this just feels like my team is being used....but ill take it lol.  

First 2 games with KD/Harden went really well....part of me is nervous that Kyrie coming back may muck it up....we'll see

I guess Harden was too expensive for philly but yesterday watching HipsterHarden get to the rim, line or step back is tough compared to the Ben Simmons ‘barrel into the lane for a jump pass’ move.  
As a diehard Bucks fan, it pains me to say it, but the Nets are gonna be hard to beat.  I hadn't watched Durant play in a long time; dude is just a bucket . And if fat Harden is this good, what happens when he plays himself into shape?  Joe Harris doesn't miss, and you have 32-year-old DeAndre Jordan running around and dunking like he found the fountain of youth.  All I can hope is that the bonehead Kyrie shows up and blows up the whole thing.

gruecd said:
 All I can hope is that the bonehead Kyrie shows up and blows up the whole thing.
This. 

I think Nets have a very good shot of repping the East WITHOUT Kyrie. 

Both the Nets and Celts had better records WITHOUT Kyrie the last 2 seasons. Celtics substantially better (the worst move Ainge has ever made IMO was not trading Kyrie at deadline before he walked). It was such an obvious move. 

gruecd said:
As a diehard Bucks fan, it pains me to say it, but the Nets are gonna be hard to beat.  I hadn't watched Durant play in a long time; dude is just a bucket . And if fat Harden is this good, what happens when he plays himself into shape?  Joe Harris doesn't miss, and you have 32-year-old DeAndre Jordan running around and dunking like he found the fountain of youth.  All I can hope is that the bonehead Kyrie shows up and blows up the whole thing.
It did hurt a lot dealing Jarrett Allen - they really didnt want to deal him Ive read....they are definitely weak in the paint without him and I dont trust DeAndre Jordan to keep playing this well.....Nets will need one more deal IMO.  

Jayrod said:
For the record, Simmons is a top 30 NBA player as is.  Rondo is probably the best comparison.  He has specific skills that are rare, but his shooting is a detriment that needs a creative coach to make effective.  That was decidedly NOT Brett Brown. Oddly enough, he has Rondo's old coach but they don't have Garnett, Pierce and Allen.  Not sure if Doc has it in him to get the most out of Simmons, but I think it has a shot to work.  Problem is they are now looking up at two teams with more talent in the East and a couple of other teams that are at their level.  I don't see them making the Finals as constructed without a leap forward from Simmons and Harris and more consistent effort from Embiid.
funny enough i agree. When Ben pays well i think he might be close to top 20, but i do think you have solid points. I would love if ll of the Philly media slowed down with bashing Ben, and we gave it a chance for him to grow with an entirely new coaching staff and offense. Doc hired Sam Cassell specifically to work with Ben and grow his game. They had a practice yesterday and Doc said it was something like only their 2nd practice since the season started. With Doc and all the new front office guys coming in, i think the tem barely had a chance to grow or work on things much. 

Regular season can be a joke for a lot of team, but should be key for the Sixers. Best thing i can say is that it is just nice having a competent front office and a complete competent coaching staff. it is nice being able to feel that they know what they are doing so no matter what they will make right calls (e.g. if Sam and Doc don't feel Ben will grow much, they will be sure to send him packing by the trade deadline)

Would love a "state of the union" from the NBA and basketball overall. I looked yesterday at a bunch of national podcasts and youtube shows and almost everything is hyping the Nets as final contendors and maybe a new dynatasy. Did listen to the Mismatch though, and i think they pointed out the reality of the Nets overall, with stating how the Nets are all offense, and the Bucks could literally take shots like a layup line since they don't have really any defense. 

Nets of course can fix this by getting a piece or 2 if they want, but i am not even sure they want to. So, has the NBA focused so much on offense that it is hurting the "integrity" of the game I put "integrity" in quotes because i honestly don't even know what that means in application, but thinking across most major sports, i don't know of any that focuses all of this on offense and not much on defense. The 4 major sports have some examples of high octane offenses, but they were never this far apart (i think the idea with the Nets is that if they score over 120 they will win most of their games). i get the sports shows and majority of fans gravitate to this and love it, but is it good for the future of the game? 

Will things level out at some point, or do we have a future of hero ball prospects coming up that need to learn how to play defense to balance this out. I don't follow CBB, but luckily i don't think this is much of the impact at that level, i just wonder if any one else things this may change the game for the negative? i don't think it will with fans and ESPN talking heads, but is there a negative side to this that won't be that obvious?

I think the NBA is in a good position.  Drama around the game, style of play, the players and personalities is a good thing.  I love the emergence of Giannis, Jokic and Doncic.  The Lakers and Celtics are relevant. There is a new "villain" superteam and an old one.

I look forward to fuller arenas, close games and a Sixers/Celtics playoff matchup.

Go C's!

Would love a "state of the union" from the NBA and basketball overall. I looked yesterday at a bunch of national podcasts and youtube shows and almost everything is hyping the Nets as final contendors and maybe a new dynatasy. Did listen to the Mismatch though, and i think they pointed out the reality of the Nets overall, with stating how the Nets are all offense, and the Bucks could literally take shots like a layup line since they don't have really any defense. 

Nets of course can fix this by getting a piece or 2 if they want, but i am not even sure they want to. So, has the NBA focused so much on offense that it is hurting the "integrity" of the game I put "integrity" in quotes because i honestly don't even know what that means in application, but thinking across most major sports, i don't know of any that focuses all of this on offense and not much on defense. The 4 major sports have some examples of high octane offenses, but they were never this far apart (i think the idea with the Nets is that if they score over 120 they will win most of their games). i get the sports shows and majority of fans gravitate to this and love it, but is it good for the future of the game? 

Will things level out at some point, or do we have a future of hero ball prospects coming up that need to learn how to play defense to balance this out. I don't follow CBB, but luckily i don't think this is much of the impact at that level, i just wonder if any one else things this may change the game for the negative? i don't think it will with fans and ESPN talking heads, but is there a negative side to this that won't be that obvious?
I miss the old days of big time defensive teams.....I also dont like how you need 2-3 superstars in order to have a chance....rooting for a team without stars for a long time it stinks to know you have no shot....

Users who are viewing this thread