Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020-21 NBA Thread: AROD buys Timberwolves to satisfy lifelong dream of living in Minnesota


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty sure I had an easier time quitting heroin than you are having with this.

Yes. He's the commissioner now. 

Full 5-year supermax with a player option after the 4th year It's a great day in Milwaukee!!!

4 hours ago, whoknew said:

I know there are only like 10 Pistons fans left, but for those of us remaining, this year has been pretty exciting. And Troy Weaver seems like an awesome GM. 

It sure seems like he got (at least) 3 rotation guys from this last draft. And that's with assuming he completely missed on Killian Hayes - which, obviously, its too early to say.

In addition to that, he signed Josh Jackson and Jerami Grant. And since the trade, Dennis Smith, Jr. has been really solid to good. Hell, even Mason Plumlee has played well.

Obviously none of these guys are stars - and you don't win in the NBA without stars. But they sure do have a lot of future solid to good young rotation guys that they didn't have a year ago. If they hit with the high pick this year, they could really start to develop something.

I disagree - Jerami grant is a star.

If hayes develops and they get another star with their pick next year, they'll have a young team that can contend for years.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sudoku_in_the_Bathtub said:

Sixers predictably #### the bed at home against the lowly Cavs. 

Sexton and Garland run circles around "elite defender" Ben Simmons. 

Hope your weekends go as well as mine :thumbup:

:moneybag:

I'm frankly surprised you still have enough money to afford the internet to make these posts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, whoknew said:

I know there are only like 10 Pistons fans left, but for those of us remaining, this year has been pretty exciting. And Troy Weaver seems like an awesome GM. 

It sure seems like he got (at least) 3 rotation guys from this last draft. And that's with assuming he completely missed on Killian Hayes - which, obviously, its too early to say.

In addition to that, he signed Josh Jackson and Jerami Grant. And since the trade, Dennis Smith, Jr. has been really solid to good. Hell, even Mason Plumlee has played well.

Obviously none of these guys are stars - and you don't win in the NBA without stars. But they sure do have a lot of future solid to good young rotation guys that they didn't have a year ago. If they hit with the high pick this year, they could really start to develop something.

Good I can pick your brain.  I own Delon Wright but have him on my IR now and couldn't decide between Lee and Dennis Smith so ended up picking up both.  It's worked pretty good so far, but it looked like Lee was going to be the one putting up numbers with Wright out.... now it looks like it's flopped.  I don't watch many Piston's games, what's your feelings moving forward on Smith vs Lee in terms of numbers while Delon is still on IR.  And what are your thoughts on all 3 of them (Minutes and Stats), once he returns?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Deamon said:


haha are you new here?  He's fishing every one of his "I made a bet on Philly to lose" troll posts.

I sense you are unaware (or incapable) of how to disincentivize trolling.  It is only slightly less annoying than the nut hugging of all things Ben Simmons related so have at it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Navin Johnson said:

I sense you are unaware (or incapable) of how to disincentivize trolling.  It is only slightly less annoying than the nut hugging of all things Ben Simmons related so have at it.

Nah the trolling is worse. This coming from the guy who tried to be a #### by insisting 3s weren't included in fg%?  Ouch. Just ouch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deamon said:

Nah the trolling is worse. This coming from the guy who tried to be a #### by insisting 3s weren't included in fg%?  Ouch. Just ouch. 

No, I took issue that you insisted that 3fg% was irrelevant because the shots were included in both, an argument that is disingenuous at best.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Deamon said:

Good I can pick your brain.  I own Delon Wright but have him on my IR now and couldn't decide between Lee and Dennis Smith so ended up picking up both.  It's worked pretty good so far, but it looked like Lee was going to be the one putting up numbers with Wright out.... now it looks like it's flopped.  I don't watch many Piston's games, what's your feelings moving forward on Smith vs Lee in terms of numbers while Delon is still on IR.  And what are your thoughts on all 3 of them (Minutes and Stats), once he returns?

Right now, DSJ is the starter and has been playing well enough to get solid minutes. But who plays more in any particular game really depends on who is playing better. Honestly - it’s been close so far. I’m not sure you can pick between them. May want to look into the contract status. Lee is on a 2 way so - he has a limited number of games he can play, right?

With the way the two have been playing, if Wright gets back before the deadline, I think they will try to trade him. They want to play the kids and they want to lose. But if he’s back and healthy, I’m sure he’s the one to have. And Lee will go down to the G League. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 9:44 PM, Deamon said:

Again, 3P% is included in FG%

 

On 2/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, Navin Johnson said:

Except it's not.  Seriously.  It isn't.

 

2 hours ago, Navin Johnson said:

No, I took issue that you insisted that 3fg% was irrelevant because the shots were included in both, an argument that is disingenuous at best.

Not at all what you were saying but nice backpedal attempt lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Did Maxey hit the rookie wall super hard or somehow get in Doc’s doghouse??  Second unit was great early in the year with him and Shake. Seems like Mike Scott not fitting since off injury?

Seems a bit of both, it's weird. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Right now, DSJ is the starter and has been playing well enough to get solid minutes. But who plays more in any particular game really depends on who is playing better. Honestly - it’s been close so far. I’m not sure you can pick between them. May want to look into the contract status. Lee is on a 2 way so - he has a limited number of games he can play, right?

With the way the two have been playing, if Wright gets back before the deadline, I think they will try to trade him. They want to play the kids and they want to lose. But if he’s back and healthy, I’m sure he’s the one to have. And Lee will go down to the G League. 

 

Thanks. I guess all three are holds then. Sucks to use the roster space on all of them but I think I will until Wright situation sorts itself out. Lee looked unreal in his first few games after the Wright injury and I thought he might for sure be the guy, maybe even when Wright returned, but DSJ seems to have swung the needle and earned the minutes now. Shame if Lee goes down to g league

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Thanks. I guess all three are holds then. Sucks to use the roster space on all of them but I think I will until Wright situation sorts itself out. Lee looked unreal in his first few games after the Wright injury and I thought he might for sure be the guy, maybe even when Wright returned, but DSJ seems to have swung the needle and earned the minutes now. Shame if Lee goes down to g league

It looks like Smith is going to be more valuable than Lee, with or without Wright. 

Assuming that they can get more than a can of beans for him, I fully expect Wright to be traded and become a backup somewhere at the deadline. But, there's also Hayes who will probably come back at some point, and will almost certainly be reinstated as the starter when he does.

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deamon said:

Seems a bit of both, it's weird. 

traditional first year for a Wildcat ball/wing player. flash here, flub there. dunno if theyre learning or unlearning. 2nd yr one usually knows what they have, but have to wait for 3rd to get it in its fullness, good or bad.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sudoku_in_the_Bathtub said:

Sixers predictably #### the bed at home against the lowly Cavs. 

Sexton and Garland run circles around "elite defender" Ben Simmons. 

Hope your weekends go as well as mine :thumbup:

:moneybag:

Awesome, so you won 1 time out of last 3 games.  Balance still around -600 or so right? Hooray

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deamon said:

You really are obsessed with Ben.   And/Or with Trolling.  But I guess trolling is like... cool for young kids?

To be fair it's a pretty mind-bottling shot chart.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frostillicus said:

To be fair it's a pretty mind-bottling shot chart.

Why?  We all know he can't shoot from the outside and is extremely effective scoring inside the paint. We all know his shooting is holding him back from being a top 10 player in the league.  The trolling obsession is odd... the guy is a proven 3 time all star and one of the best 25 players in the world. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Why?  We all know he can't shoot from the outside and is extremely effective scoring inside the paint. We all know his shooting is holding him back from being a top 10 player in the league.  The trolling obsession is odd... the guy is a proven 3 time all star and one of the best 25 players in the world. 

Because it's fascinating that a world class athlete like Simmons flat out can't shoot. I'd say the same thing about Rondo. I'm not trolling. Simmons is really good. It's just weird that he can't shoot. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frostillicus said:

Because it's fascinating that a world class athlete like Simmons flat out can't shoot. I'd say the same thing about Rondo. I'm not trolling. Simmons is really good. It's just weird that he can't shoot. 

Well then we agree that he's really good but cant/wont shoot long range.  Where as you have other posters saying Middleton is better or that Simmons flat out "sucks" at offense. 

Guy is an amazing player but not elite. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

To be fair it's a pretty mind-bottling shot chart.

it's absolutely insane. like 12 shot attempts further than 6 feet from the basket.

even Mark Eaton took more jumpers.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

it's absolutely insane. like 12 shot attempts further than 6 feet from the basket.

even Mark Eaton took more jumpers.

 

Yet still one of the top 25 basketball players on earth.  Impressive.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Could the Knicks be a player for Beal once he's officially available? How does something like Quickley, Tobbin, Mavs 1st, NYK 1st, ++ compare to what others would offer?

I assume Barrett would have more value in there over Quickley but if I'm the Knicks I'd like to cash in that chip.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wizards are so much better than earlier in the season. Brooks has been better with his rotations and substitutions. But, twice in the past week, he’s messed up late in the game.

Up one against the Lakers, the inbound goes to Russ and I’m yelling at the tv to take a timeout. Instead, they foul Russ who makes one of two (predictable), Lakers make a two to force OT (with Lebron missing a FT for the lead), and they luckily win in OT.

Tonight, they get the ball inbounded to Beal up one (good scenario), but there’s like 19 seconds left so Boston doesn’t fouls and traps Beal. But, again, Brooks doesn’t use a timeout which would have enabled him to then inbound in the front court and not worry about an 8 second violation meaning Boston would have to foul. But Beal slips and goes out of bounds while being trapped. Turnover. Boston scores. Wizards lose. 
 

But, like I said, this team is so much better than early in the season. So fun to watch. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deamon said:

Yet still one of the top 25 basketball players on earth.  Impressive.

firmly outside the top 200 in just the NBA, tbh

Edited by mr. furley
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgreen said:

Wizards are so much better than earlier in the season. Brooks has been better with his rotations and substitutions. But, twice in the past week, he’s messed up late in the game.

Up one against the Lakers, the inbound goes to Russ and I’m yelling at the tv to take a timeout. Instead, they foul Russ who makes one of two (predictable), Lakers make a two to force OT (with Lebron missing a FT for the lead), and they luckily win in OT.

Tonight, they get the ball inbounded to Beal up one (good scenario), but there’s like 19 seconds left so Boston doesn’t fouls and traps Beal. But, again, Brooks doesn’t use a timeout which would have enabled him to then inbound in the front court and not worry about an 8 second violation meaning Boston would have to foul. But Beal slips and goes out of bounds while being trapped. Turnover. Boston scores. Wizards lose. 
 

But, like I said, this team is so much better than early in the season. So fun to watch. 

kind of sketchy that Beal didn't get free throws off that last play. Nice seeing Wizards play hard like that though, hope they make the playoffs

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, modogg said:

kind of sketchy that Beal didn't get free throws off that last play. Nice seeing Wizards play hard like that though, hope they make the playoffs

You mean when he slipped and fell, or when he forced a prayer over a double team?  Either way, nah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

Because it's fascinating that a world class athlete like Simmons flat out can't shoot. I'd say the same thing about Rondo. I'm not trolling. Simmons is really good. It's just weird that he can't shoot. 

crazy thing is he can shoot them (sunk a nice 3 last night, pretty deep, nice form, all net). https://twitter.com/SportsLine/status/1365888400293720065

he and the new coaching staff have talked about it, would you rather a guy who shoots over 40% take that 3, or better for Ben to shoot who probably be slightly above 30%. it is a mental block he has talked about too, seen a sports psychologist for awhile, and he seems to be making progress. 

if you look at where he is now with taking 3's, compared to 2 years ago, he has made progress. Very glad he wasn't traded, because i am intrigued to see how he progresses with a year under Sam Cassell. he has made strides so far, no reason to think he can't continue improving. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jayrod said:

You mean when he slipped and fell, or when he forced a prayer over a double team?  Either way, nah.

didn't see the actual play, just saw Beal getting pissed a foul wasn't called and the Wizards media seeming to push it should have been a foul. 

2 wins is nice, even if over the Wizards and whichever other sub .500 team they beat the other night. Not sure that helps them to make the pre-season predictions as Eastern Conf championship material just yet, and still think there are some deep issues on that team that won't disappear on their own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mr. furley said:

firmly outside the top 200 in just the NBA, tbh

Not sure if trying way too hard to troll, or if you're the most uneducated basketball fan on the board.  Or both.

Link to post
Share on other sites

man this thread reminds me of a great question what is the difference between a newborn puppy and a sixers fan well in six weeks the puppy stops whining take that to the bank brohans 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SWC said:

man this thread reminds me of a great question what is the difference between a newborn puppy and a sixers fan well in six weeks the puppy stops whining take that to the bank brohans 

Well when people think they're cool by trolling (clearly no one believes Simmons shouldn't even be on a starting line up in the NBA), they're the ones that can't drop it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Capella changed the title to 2020-21 NBA Thread: Atlanta Hawks fire head coach, who absolutely nobody could name

the Price is WRONG. thank goodness someone finally realized that...

 

 

ETA: w one of my favorite coaches, Nate McMillan - one of the very few who still yells at folk - taking the helm. now maybe all this talent might play w sum porpoise

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

why do i get the sense a lot of the people who in post here are Trump fans?

Sixers up30 on the Pacers, Soduko you get Pacers +32? 

Edited by modogg
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone - 3 more spots to fill in the all time nba draft. We’ve got 13 so far, looking for 16. 
 

Hoping to set the draft order in the next day or two and start drafting after (clock starting Monday). 
 

Get in there!

Link to post
Share on other sites

my Pels quietly dismantled the #1 team in the league last night :coffee: We pretty much dominated the game the entire time despite some heroics by Mitchell. We tried our best to choke it away mid-way through the 4th, but held in there with some clutch buckets and some :gasp: defensive stands. Fun when you're on the winning end of those close ones against really good teams. Whew! 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

my Pels quietly dismantled the #1 team in the league last night :coffee: We pretty much dominated the game the entire time despite some heroics by Mitchell. We tried our best to choke it away mid-way through the 4th, but held in there with some clutch buckets and some :gasp: defensive stands. Fun when you're on the winning end of those close ones against really good teams. Whew! 

Hope they keep it together. I still refuse to believe they'll deal or not resign Lonzo.

TBH I think Lonzo's one of the most improved/underrated players in the league right now. He'll probably forever live in his younger brother's shadow but Lonzo's an extremely gifted PG that's unquestionably improved a lot. Guy is still just 23 (!!) I think too many folks want instant gratification. Yet, how soon we forget even Steph Curry's career didn't take off until 24.

Lonzo got ridiculed about his shot.......it's gotten fairly quiet now with him shooting 40+% from 30-something games into the season.

Zion's unstoppable going to the bucket. Ingram's one of the premier scorers in the league. Lonzo's one of the better PGs in the league (IMO). Pretty damn good trio. And I think Lonzo's exactly what the Pelicans need. Pay the FN man. If Pellies don't, promise someone will pay him handsomely this offseason. You just shelled out $18m/yr to Adams (!!) 

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2021 at 11:37 PM, modogg said:

didn't see the actual play, just saw Beal getting pissed a foul wasn't called and the Wizards media seeming to push it should have been a foul. 

2 wins is nice, even if over the Wizards and whichever other sub .500 team they beat the other night. Not sure that helps them to make the pre-season predictions as Eastern Conf championship material just yet, and still think there are some deep issues on that team that won't disappear on their own. 

I've watched every Wizards game this year.  Beal complains more that just about any player in the league.  That was no foul.  He slipped where Tatum had fallen on the layup.  Tough luck, but the bad is really Scott Brooks being out-coached every night.  He's not the worst coach in the league.  But Stevens out-coached him big time, as do others.  Especially in late game situations.  Rumor is the Wizards spend less than 15 mins on D at practice and Brooks doesn't watch film.  That's a bad combo.  Beal and Westbrook back him, but the only other coach Beal has played for is Randy Whitman.  I mean, if you are comparing anyone to Randy Whitman you likely think they are better.

That being said, Beal is a stud.  One of the best 3 scorers in the league.  He can get his shot anywhere.  He can beat people on dribble.  And he plays solid but not elite D.  He's very much like a short Kevin Durant.  Which is why you always would take Durant.  6" inches matter ... um, well you get the point.

The team is coming together.  Westbrook is a turnover machine, but he's starting to fit in better.  Bertans is finally hitting some shots.  Rui can't defend.  I think most coaches would have benched him but they don't have many other options.  The backups are decent.  Their bigs are not good.  Wagner is usually the best, but Lopez and Len have to be in the game when they face a bigger C.  It's a weak group.  They can't rebound at all.  My biggest complaint is that Deni Avdija is very very good and it isn't showing.  He rebounds, he defends, and he's got court awareness.  But offensively he is lost.  He has good O skills.  But it's like Beal and Westbrook are cutting him out.  Would love to see Brooks work more sets for Avdija to get to the hoop rather than stand at the 3 point line.   his offensive growth looks limited in the current offense.  Maybe there aren't enough balls to go around.

They might be a low level playoff team , but without a better strategic coach they will go nowhere.  Brooks contract ends this season.  Nobody expects him back.  

Edited by Brunell4MVP
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

I've watched every Wizards game this year.  Beal complains more that just about any player in the league.  That was no foul.  He slipped where Tatum had fallen on the layup.  Tough luck, but the bad is really Scott Brooks being out-coached every night.  He's not the worst coach in the league.  But Stevens out-coached him big time, as do others.  Especially in late game situations.  Rumor is the Wizards spend less than 15 mins on D at practice and Brooks doesn't watch film.  That's a bad combo.  Beal and Westbrook back him, but the only other coach Beal has played for is Randy Whitman.  I mean, if you are comparing anyone to Randy Whitman you likely think they are better.

That being said, Beal is a stud.  One of the best 3 scorers in the league.  He can get his shot anywhere.  He can beat people on dribble.  And he plays solid but not elite D.  He's very much like a short Kevin Durant.  Which is why you always would take Durant.  6" inches matter ... um, well you get the point.

The team is coming together.  Westbrook is a turnover machine, but he's starting to fit in better.  Bertans is finally hitting some shots.  Rui can't defend.  I think most coaches would have benched him but they don't have many other options.  The backups are decent.  Their bigs are not good.  Wagner is usually the best, but Lopez and Len have to be in the game when they face a bigger C.  It's a weak group.  They can't rebound at all.  My biggest complaint is that Deni Avdija is very very good and it isn't showing.  He rebounds, he defends, and he's got court awareness.  But offensively he is lost.  He has good O skills.  But it's like Beal and Westbrook are cutting him out.  Would love to see Brooks work more sets for Avdija to get to the hoop rather than stand at the 3 point line.   his offensive growth looks limited in the current offense.  Maybe there aren't enough balls to go around.

They might be a low level playoff team , but without a better strategic coach they will go nowhere.  Brooks contract ends this season.  Nobody expects him back.  

good summation. they seem better this year then the past few, and has to be nice to hear the reports that Beal isn't demanding any kind of trade. They are playing well in a tough division, and would be fun to see them grow a little more. Similar to Charlotte in that they certainly need to work and catch a break or 2 to get much better, but they seem to be looking much better with Russ then they did with Wall. Would have been real interesting if they didn't make that trade, and Wall would have remained healthy to see how they would have been this year

 

And makes more sense with that Beal play. I watch a bunch of NBA games online and tend to get a lot of other commentators rather than the Philly commentating team. it is amazing how subjective calling games is team per team. some of the team's broadcasting group is just silly with how partial they are for their team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Capella changed the title to 2020-21 NBA Thread: AROD buys Timberwolves to satisfy lifelong dream of living in Minnesota

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...