What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (3 Viewers)

i'd trade Jayson Tatum for Simmons in a heartbeat.. he is the other side of the Kyrie/Poopbeard coin, has been told he's special for so long that it turned his passion to contempt. unlike the other two, tho, he's turned it inwards. lacking a team/coach who understood his game, he converted his unprecedented court vision into a way to become the best defensive player in the game. unfortunately, on offense, he's had to share the court with the only player as much a unicorn in specific gift as he, and it's meant that the court is never his and he needs it to be. if it's not too late already, Simmons has a year, maybe two, where his game can still grow, but it wont be in Philly. til then, there aint 5 guys i'd rather start a team with.

Is there anybody else in the NBA who gets more critiqued then Ben when he shoots a jumper? Do people not realize air balls happen all the time?

I don't know what Ben did to half of the people in the sports media, but the guy is literally damned if he shoots, and damned if he doesn't. I mean everybody pisses and moans that Ben won't shoot 3s at all, then he shoots one and airballs it and everybody gets l giddy like middle school girls. 
3 for 29 in career 3 point attempts. That doesn't happen all the time. Inexcusable to not work on this.

i'd trade Jayson Tatum for Simmons in a heartbeat.. he is the other side of the Kyrie/Poopbeard coin, has been told he's special for so long that it turned his passion to contempt. unlike the other two, tho, he's turned it inwards. lacking a team/coach who understood his game, he converted his unprecedented court vision into a way to become the best defensive player in the game. unfortunately, on offense, he's had to share the court with the only player as much a unicorn in specific gift as he, and it's meant that the court is never his and he needs it to be. if it's not too late already, Simmons has a year, maybe two, where his game can still grow, but it wont be in Philly. til then, there aint 5 guys i'd rather start a team with.
this is pure fantasy GM of course, but it is a fascinating idea. i'm sure 90% of the national media would disagree because of the narratives with both players, but if this happened, i would love to see who would have the better season

:lmao:

Sixers lose to Grizz. Easiest team to make money off in sports.
Did you bet against the Sixers in the Miami games too? You seem like a very fair weather gambler, i suggest betting lightly as you go forward. 

On a side note, i made good money betting the Sixers yesterday in live betting getting them at +11 and +4.5. So if all of your posts are true i can give you a  :hifive:  for both of us making money. 

Are you betting the the Thunder +3 tonight too?

You've been on this since day 1, pretty impressive. He has to get outta Philly. 

Harden needs a makeover.   That beard has to have some food stuck in it and the new do looks greasy.

I don’t know man. But what I do know is, he really, really sucks. 
Predictable. 

I know it's fun to hate on the Sixers as there's many fans in this forum, but it's a tired act. Does he have a major weakness?  Sure. But you act like you're blind to the fact that he's still one of the top players in the league. 

Did you bet against the Sixers in the Miami games too? You seem like a very fair weather gambler, i suggest betting lightly as you go forward. 

On a side note, i made good money betting the Sixers yesterday in live betting getting them at +11 and +4.5. So if all of your posts are true i can give you a  :hifive:  for both of us making money. 

Are you betting the the Thunder +3 tonight too?
Ya it's funny, apparently he's either trolling or is psychic. Pretty impressive that he has known exactly which 5 games the Sixers would lose this year and bet hard against them, and avoided betting against them on the 9 games he knew they'd win. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/ben-simmons-career-shot-chart-by-season

And that's just "heaves".  Even more of those are very long distance 3s at the buzzer. 

Looks like he's 3 for 11 on actual 3's. @Desert_Power @modogg
in 4+ years of NBA basketball, as a full time starting guard, he has attempted 11 "official" three pointers

someone named Alen Smailagic, backup (3rd string?) center attemped 12 in the 2019-2020 season alone.

let that sink in.

that's not a "hole" in his game. that's like calling a guy who got hit by multiple .50 caliber rounds that he's just got a few scrapes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Predictable. 

I know it's fun to hate on the Sixers as there's many fans in this forum, but it's a tired act. Does he have a major weakness?  Sure. But you act like you're blind to the fact that he's still one of the top players in the league. 
Lol you may be the first person to ever get mad in this thread. 

in 4+ years of NBA basketball, as a full time starting guard, he has attempted 11 "official" three pointers

let that sink in
Yes. Its a problem. When did I say it wasnt?  I'm saying the problem is being exaggerated by many. He's still one of the top players in the league. 

Far from mad dude. 
You seem pretty mad. Nobody is a Sixers hater either, people don’t hate on a team that hasn’t won anything in 40 years and went through the biggest laughingstock rebuild in history just to draft a guard who shoots 3s worse than Shaq. There’s a difference between mocking and hating. 

Yes. Its a problem. When did I say it wasnt?  I'm saying the problem is being exaggerated by many. He's still one of the top players in the league. 
it's not possible to exaggerate the issue too much

he's a great passer, great defender. he's more than a net negative on offense. it's like playing 5 on 4 when he's on the court. he's Bruce Bowen with a worse shot?

it's not possible to exaggerate the issue too much

he's a great passer, great defender. he's more than a net negative on offense. it's like playing 5 on 4 when he's on the court. he's Bruce Bowen with a worse shot?
Lol your two statements are contradictory and are exactly an exaggeration. 

Like playing 5 on 4?  Exaggeration. Pretty sure any NBA team with 4 on the court wouldn't make playoffs. 

A worse player than Bruce Bowen?  Simmons is an NBA all star dude, he's easily one of the top 50 players in the world. 

Simmons’ problem is not being exaggerated.  It can’t possibly be exaggerated.   A team with a lead guard whom (a) handles the ball as much as he does and (b) refuses to shoot open shots will never be in contention to win a title in today’s era.  Simply impossible.  So no matter how great he is at everything else, what matters is that’s he’s an offensive liability in crunch time when, ya know, you need your elite players to be able to step up.

Simmons’ problem is not being exaggerated.  It can’t possibly be exaggerated.   A team with a lead guard whom (a) handles the ball as much as he does and (b) refuses to shoot open shots will never be in contention to win a title in today’s era.  Simply impossible.  So no matter how great he is at everything else, what matters is that’s he’s an offensive liability in crunch time when, ya know, you need your elite players to be able to step up.
Yes it can possibly be exaggerated. If it's actually and literally "impossible" to win a title with him not shooting 3's, then why would any NBA team even want him?  

Yes it can possibly be exaggerated. If it's actually and literally "impossible" to win a title with him not shooting 3's, then why would any NBA team even want him?  
Because they drafted him, (foolishly?) signed him to a max extension, he’s a decent player, and what are now the alternatives?  To cut him?  The fact that Houston wanted a bunch of likely late 1sts over Simmons should speak volumes to what his likely worth is.  Guy hasn’t improved much at all in four years.  He is what he is, and that’s not the starting lead guard on a championship team.  

Bc like 3 NBA teams can win a title in any given year so making the playoffs is fine for most, and also Ben can deliver the Kardashian ratings. 

Because they drafted him, (foolishly?) signed him to a max extension, he’s a decent player, and what are now the alternatives?  To cut him?  The fact that Houston wanted a bunch of likely late 1sts over Simmons should speak volumes to what his likely worth is.  Guy hasn’t improved much at all in four years.  He is what he is, and that’s not the starting lead guard on a championship team.  
The fact Houston took that Nets deal over Simmons really should tell people what they need to know. 

Foolishly drafted him? lol   Who would you have drafted in that spot if you were the GM?

And it is not only not a "fact" that Houston wanted a bunch of late 1sts over Simmons, but it's also completely false.

Watching bucks mavs here and can't help wondering - this is the best roster they can put around giannis? Are there people out tonight?
Don't mistake the lack of star power (beyond Giannis, Midds, and Jrue) for a bad roster.  Gonna be a fun game against Brooklyn tomorrow night.  

To me, Simmons is similar to Rudy Gobert. Great regular season players who are excellent at what they do. Their shortcomings also make it easier for opponents to scheme them out of a playoff series (or even crunch time). 

Rondo was a player who for a long while had no confidence in his shot to the point he wouldn’t even drive to the basket looking for his own shot (or even free throws). Teams were able to overplay the other Celtics players on offense because of it. He put in a lot of work on his shot and is now a near average spot up shooter - in the playoffs at least.

I think a lot of the criticism of Simmons is that it doesn’t seem like there’s been much progression of his shooting so far, which will require lots of off-season work if he’s going to take a step to the top tier superstar level. 

Foolishly drafted him? lol   Who would you have drafted in that spot if you were the GM?

And it is not only not a "fact" that Houston wanted a bunch of late 1sts over Simmons, but it's also completely false.
Never said that. Please reread.  

You don’t think Philly made Simmons available in an offer for Harden?  Or what’s false?  That the Nets’ 1sts aren’t likely to be late 1sts?  

You don’t think Philly made Simmons available in an offer for Harden?  Or what’s false?  That the Nets’ 1sts aren’t likely to be late 1sts?  
Sure they might have made him available, but you're completely discounting all the other assets that they got from the trade.

Dante Exum
Rodions Kurucs
Victor Oladipo
Nets' picks in 2022, 2024 and 2026 (who knows how low the Nets picks are going to be in 4 and 6 years from now)
Cavaliers' pick in 2022 (This will not be a low pick)
Pick swaps with Nets in 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027 (Again, Nets could have very high picks in 5 and 7 years from now)

EDT:  This is potentially 5 top 10 picks.  I can't see KD or Harden (let alone both) of them playing in Brooklyn in 4, 5, 6, and 7 years.

This wasn't remotely "Simmons or late picks" like you are suggesting.

Sure they might have made him available, but you're completely discounting all the other assets that they got from the trade.

Dante Exum
Rodions Kurucs
Victor Oladipo
Nets' picks in 2022, 2024 and 2026 (who knows how low the Nets picks are going to be in 4 and 6 years from now)
Cavaliers' pick in 2022 (This will not be a low pick)
Pick swaps with Nets in 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027 (Again, Nets could have very high picks in 5 and 7 years from now)

EDT:  This is potentially 5 top 10 picks.  I can't see KD or Harden (let alone both) of them playing in Brooklyn in 4, 5, 6, and 7 years.

This wasn't remotely "Simmons or late picks" like you are suggesting.

Kind of proves the point though, no?  That’s the type of haul that the James Hardens and Paul George’s command.  That the Rockets preferred a half year look at Oladipo and a bunch of flier 1sts and 1st swaps is indeed telling about where Simmons falls on the franchise player spectrum.  If he was one, the Rockets don’t pass on him for a bunch of maybe picks.  No way.

Kind of proves the point though, no?  That’s the type of haul that the James Hardens and Paul George’s command.  That the Rockets preferred a half year look at Oladipo and a bunch of flier 1sts and 1st swaps is indeed telling about where Simmons falls on the franchise player spectrum.  If he was one, the Rockets don’t pass on him for a bunch of maybe picks.  No way.
Disagree.  I think 5 potential top 3 picks + Oladipo is more worthwhile than no picks and a great player on a big contract in his 5th year.

Especially for a team in a full rebuild.... they're a LOT more than just 1 piece away.

Disagree.  I think 5 potential top 3 picks + Oladipo is more worthwhile than no picks and a great player on a big contract in his 5th year.

Especially for a team in a full rebuild.... they're a LOT more than just 1 piece away.
Oh man.  Seriously?   :lmao:

Well then yeah, if that was even close to realistic you take the picks.  Odds are HEAVILY stacked against landing even a single top 3 pick out of that bunch.  But I guess we will see.  Regardless, the conversation has digressed.  Simmons isn’t the lead guard on a title team.  At least not while he can’t hit a 15 footer.  

Oh man.  Seriously?   :lmao:

Well then yeah, if that was even close to realistic you take the picks.  Odds are HEAVILY stacked against landing even a single top 3 pick out of that bunch.  But I guess we will see.  Regardless, the conversation has digressed.  Simmons isn’t the lead guard on a title team.  At least not while he can’t hit a 15 footer.  
That's why I said "potential".  There is a very good chance that all of those picks are lottery picks though.  Houston with Simmons now is nothing.... it's today's NBA where you need multiple stars.  Houston trading for Simmons and no picks makes no sense for them and their rebuild.

He is what he is... He's a top 30 player in the league.  Could he be better?  Yes.  Do I want him to shoot more?  Yes.  But the negative view on him is incredibly exaggerated like many fans in this thread get off doing.

someone named Alen Smailagic, backup (3rd string?) center attemped 12 in the 2019-2020 season alone.

let that sink in.

that's not a "hole" in his game. that's like calling a guy who got hit by multiple .50 caliber rounds that he's just got a few scrapes.
he has also led the league 2 of those years in assists on 3 pointers

he shot a few times yesterday, 2 nice fade away shots from like 12 feet out. 

But this Simmons talk is old, he is 24 years old and just off his rookie contract. Let's see where he ends up with a good year of coaching

4 bouces away from a probable championship due to Kawhi Leonard  :sadbanana: . My guess is 28 other NBA team wish they could be close to situations like that

Alex P Keaton said:
How many 3’s per day did Simmons shoot in practice the past 18 months?   Just curious.
a lot. You see videos just hooting and hitting 3s from the corner and around the 3 point line. 

That is why it can be so infuriating. As a fan of his, i am perfectly fine with him air balling some shots. First hurdle he has is to take some of those shots when he is open. He hits them in practice, so once he overcomes that mental hurdle he will start to make progress. 

Very glad Doc brought in Sam Cassell to work directly with him, and we have a stronger coaching and front office staff. I am fine not worrying a ton about his last 3 seasons and seeing where he can go from here. if he makes 0 progress this year and going into next, then i am fine agreeing with 70% of his thread that Simmons is no good and should be gone. but let's give him a bit of time with a new focused coaching staff

Users who are viewing this thread