Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020-21 NBA Thread: Overweight, bearded millennial looks for a fresh start in Brooklyn


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Boston said:

Been holding off on C's thoughts until I saw more moves...just like being a Pats fan it is easy to over-react at the beginning of free agency (like I did with Hayward) only to like (or not like) what they do a little later...leaving out the elephant in the room (Hayward) till later I am very pleased with what they have done so far...the draft addressed shooting and listening to Jerry Stackhouse (Vandy Coach) a few times on the radio the C's may have have made a really nice pick with Nesmith...Thompson is a player I very much wanted them to get, he fills such a hole for them and if Robert Williams can get more consistent they could be in for a big upgrade there and I also like the fact that this frees Theis up to be on some more realistic matchups...Teague is an upgrade over Wannamaker, not a big splash here but a move that makes them deeper which they desperately needed.

As for Hayward...if the Turner/McDermott offer was real then Ainge made a huge mistake because the alternative of getting nothing meant he had zero hand outside of dealing directly with Indy because it seems apparent there was no way he was coming back to Boston...all it takes is one team to make a big offer (in Charlotte's case an amazingly bad offer) and you are left holding nothing...now there seems to be some chatter that this may turn into some type of sign and trade and if it does turn into that Ainge may save face with this...let's see how that unfolds but even if it does unfold that way my guess is Ainge still didn't see that Charlotte offer coming...if in fact the C's end up with nothing for Hayward and the Indy deal proves to be real the heat will be turned up on Ainge locally in a huge way...C's fans are definitely the most forgiving between them, the Pats, the Sox and B's but this will not be forgiven because it would be such an unforced error.

Overall if Tatum signs his max as rumored the C's will be in solid shape with an opportunity to be much deeper and diverse then last year but with the question of how do they make up for Haywards's production...the C's are an organization that likes to preach player development and IMO that will be a key to whether they can really compete for a legit championship and not just the Eastern Conference...they have a very intriguing group in Rob and Grant Williams, Langford, Nesmith, Pritchard, Edwards and Watters...obviously they are not all gonna work out but if they can max out the potential on about three of them and with the additions of Thompson and Teague they will be much deeper then last year and right in the mix for the Eastern Conference and realistically how much better Tatum and Brown get will determine if they can seriously compete for a title.

not a doubt in my mind that Turner/McDermott was on the table, but i'm guessing Indy weren't going past $110M and who knows if that extra $10M means anything at that level v returning home etc. but i saw too many instances during the Jerseypix era not to believe that Traitor Danny is addicted to the "genius move" and that flies in the face of Celtic progress. the Green could have been next-level w Turner because i truly believe Stevens sees the ultimate team as a smallball squad and Turner would have fit that plus been able to 5 it up when their opponents made them stay home more.

Cs havent regressed, but they havent progressed. Heat is really gonna miss Crowder, the Raptors got a BIG hole in the middle and the Sixers lose another year allowing Doc to prove that he's not as much a genius as BBrown was an idiot. Gonna be interesting to see if coach will have TT & Theis on the floor together at all. @Juxtatarot asked what signings i would have made post-Hayward. i actually would have let Stevens make that choice, because most of the 5s still available (Whiteside, Cousins, Cauley-Stein as well as TT) really require some conversation as to their commitment to a vision, but i might have been tempted to actually increase the number of post options by signing like Harry Giles (Duke teammate of Tatum) and bringing Lowell-kid Noah Vonleh home and switch em out like smarter football coaches do with defensive linemen now and keep up with the Bams and run the Embiids silly that way. Just as long as we dont see poor Grant Williams (dirty little secret of Celts' 19 draft - post man GWill is actually shorter than the guard, Romeo Langford they drafted) in the post for a while. but the 20-21 Celtics remain more contender than champion.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. He's the commissioner now. 

Full 5-year supermax with a player option after the 4th year It's a great day in Milwaukee!!!

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1349468100601782281?s=21  

7 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

not a doubt in my mind that Turner/McDermott was on the table, but i'm guessing Indy weren't going past $110M and who knows if that extra $10M means anything at that level v returning home etc. but i saw too many instances during the Jerseypix era not to believe that Traitor Danny is addicted to the "genius move" and that flies in the face of Celtic progress. the Green could have been next-level w Turner because i truly believe Stevens sees the ultimate team as a smallball squad and Turner would have fit that plus been able to 5 it up when their opponents made them stay home more.

Cs havent regressed, but they havent progressed. Heat is really gonna miss Crowder, the Raptors got a BIG hole in the middle and the Sixers lose another year allowing Doc to prove that he's not as much a genius as BBrown was an idiot. Gonna be interesting to see if coach will have TT & Theis on the floor together at all. @Juxtatarot asked what signings i would have made post-Hayward. i actually would have let Stevens make that choice, because most of the 5s still available (Whiteside, Cousins, Cauley-Stein as well as TT) really require some conversation as to their commitment to a vision, but i might have been tempted to actually increase the number of post options by signing like Harry Giles (Duke teammate of Tatum) and bringing Lowell-kid Noah Vonleh home and switch em out like smarter football coaches do with defensive linemen now and keep up with the Bams and run the Embiids silly that way. Just as long as we dont see poor Grant Williams (dirty little secret of Celts' 19 draft - post man GWill is actually shorter than the guard, Romeo Langford they drafted) in the post for a while. but the 20-21 Celtics remain more contender than champion.

Yup...it does appear Ainge wants to win deals more then make the team better...tough to argue likewise after this Indy debacle...tend to agree about the contender v. champion angle with the caveat that I do think they can win the East...they were some real sloppy playing away from doing it this year and I do think this year's team can be better and deeper but we're not gonna really know until we see how all these youngsters develop.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

not a doubt in my mind that Turner/McDermott was on the table, but i'm guessing Indy weren't going past $110M and who knows if that extra $10M means anything at that level v returning home etc. but i saw too many instances during the Jerseypix era not to believe that Traitor Danny is addicted to the "genius move" and that flies in the face of Celtic progress. the Green could have been next-level w Turner because i truly believe Stevens sees the ultimate team as a smallball squad and Turner would have fit that plus been able to 5 it up when their opponents made them stay home more.

 

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-why-did-gordon-hayward-pacers-trade-fall-through

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Utah Jazz All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell has agreed to a five-year, $195M designated rookie max extension, his agents Ty Sullivan and Austin Brown of @caa_sports tell ESPN. Story soon.

11:10 AM · Nov 22, 2020

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Boston said:

1st thing Cs fans should do is stop listening to that SportsHub/CSNNE bunch on the inner workings of the Celtics. they have NO ONE inside GreenWorld and are all bloggers w no connection to anyone but each other

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

not a doubt in my mind that Turner/McDermott was on the table, but i'm guessing Indy weren't going past $110M and who knows if that extra $10M means anything at that level v returning home etc. but i saw too many instances during the Jerseypix era not to believe that Traitor Danny is addicted to the "genius move" and that flies in the face of Celtic progress. the Green could have been next-level w Turner because i truly believe Stevens sees the ultimate team as a smallball squad and Turner would have fit that plus been able to 5 it up when their opponents made them stay home more.

Cs havent regressed, but they havent progressed. Heat is really gonna miss Crowder, the Raptors got a BIG hole in the middle and the Sixers lose another year allowing Doc to prove that he's not as much a genius as BBrown was an idiot. Gonna be interesting to see if coach will have TT & Theis on the floor together at all. @Juxtatarot asked what signings i would have made post-Hayward. i actually would have let Stevens make that choice, because most of the 5s still available (Whiteside, Cousins, Cauley-Stein as well as TT) really require some conversation as to their commitment to a vision, but i might have been tempted to actually increase the number of post options by signing like Harry Giles (Duke teammate of Tatum) and bringing Lowell-kid Noah Vonleh home and switch em out like smarter football coaches do with defensive linemen now and keep up with the Bams and run the Embiids silly that way. Just as long as we dont see poor Grant Williams (dirty little secret of Celts' 19 draft - post man GWill is actually shorter than the guard, Romeo Langford they drafted) in the post for a while. but the 20-21 Celtics remain more contender than champion.

Seeing Ibaka get the same raw numbers that TT got is kind of mind boggling. I have to admit to not watching much Cleveland games at all, but his numbers from last year seem inflated. I guess it shows he at least is putting effort in when he is on the floor, but of course he was going to lead in rebounds with the line-ups Cle put out there.

I agree that Ibaka and even Whiteside seem head and shoulders better than Thompson. I get it if guys didn't want to go to Boston and teams can only control so much of that though. But at the same time, teams need to have a better plan. If Ainge knew, or had a strong feeling that Heyward was walking, he should have spent more time looking at the available centers and getting a good fit.

Noel in Boston would have been a better fit, cheaper too

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, modogg said:

Seeing Ibaka get the same raw numbers that TT got is kind of mind boggling. I have to admit to not watching much Cleveland games at all, but his numbers from last year seem inflated. I guess it shows he at least is putting effort in when he is on the floor, but of course he was going to lead in rebounds with the line-ups Cle put out there.

I agree that Ibaka and even Whiteside seem head and shoulders better than Thompson. I get it if guys didn't want to go to Boston and teams can only control so much of that though. But at the same time, teams need to have a better plan. If Ainge knew, or had a strong feeling that Heyward was walking, he should have spent more time looking at the available centers and getting a good fit.

Noel in Boston would have been a better fit, cheaper too

i could post Noel and i'm 67 yrs old

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wikkidpissah said:

i could post Noel and i'm 67 yrs old

he is a bit thin, i'll give you that. But he has a better skill set to support that team i think, and i would take his defense over TT no doubt. paying half the salary of TT gives them some more wiggle room too, now they are pressed against the cap with little options,

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

1st thing Cs fans should do is stop listening to that SportsHub/CSNNE bunch on the inner workings of the Celtics. they have NO ONE inside GreenWorld and are all bloggers w no connection to anyone but each other

Forsberg looks like he has never played a contact sport in his life...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tristan Thompson was a solid signing as was Teague. Celtics bungled sign and trade with Hayward but both signings are upgrades. I think Thompson is pretty underrated and Teague is an upgrade at backup point.

No reason Celtics can’t compete for East Title - it’s them and the Heat, Raptors and Bucks next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Balco said:

Tristan Thompson was a solid signing as was Teague. Celtics bungled sign and trade with Hayward but both signings are upgrades. I think Thompson is pretty underrated and Teague is an upgrade at backup point.

No reason Celtics can’t compete for East Title - it’s them and the Heat, Raptors and Bucks next year.

I don’t think BOS had much chance of trading Hayward to the Pacers as they weren’t going to give him $120 million. The players coming back in trade wouldn’t matter if IND wasn’t going to match the CHA offer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Balco said:

Tristan Thompson was a solid signing as was Teague. Celtics bungled sign and trade with Hayward but both signings are upgrades. I think Thompson is pretty underrated and Teague is an upgrade at backup point.

No reason Celtics can’t compete for East Title - it’s them and the Heat, Raptors and Bucks next year.

Pacers and Nets moved to the West?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boston said:

This type of insight is exactly what us common folk need.  I wish all sports journalists were so capable of explaining what we just don't understand as fans:

  • They couldn't agree on terms
  • They chose not to come up with the money Hayward wanted

I mean that is Pulitzer Prize winning stuff right there

 

Edited by flranger
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Tatum gets the max. 5/$195M. 

LINK

As I understood it. The 5 years starts after the current year so they have him locked up for 6 years total. Really good for the Celtics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thompson over Noel all day long. Not even close. Thompson is a very good man defender & can defend in space and in the P&R. Noel isn't at all and can't. No brainer to sign him over Noel and salary discrepancy is there for a reason. 

Celtics already have a younger, cheaper, exciting undisciplined freelancer that can block shots and dunk in Time Lord. Noel adds nothing that Time Lord already does. Time Lord is signed at a fraction of the cost.

Thompson was the best fit of the FA centers remaining for the Celtics roster. They needed beef in the middle that can defend man to man. Anyone that watched that Miami series saw where Boston lost it as they have zero resistance to body Bam. Thompson gives them that guy. Offers a great alternative -- much better than Kanter's skillset -- to Theis and Time Lord.

Thompson and Teague fit nicely on Boston. Big Big fan of Neismith. Boston really needed to upgrade on catch and shoot from the perimeter and they got by far the top one on mine and many people's board in this draft with Neismith. LOVE that pick. Had him as a Top 10 guy in the draft. Not because I think he'll necessarily be a superstar but fully believe he'll an elite off the ball scorer that MOVES WITHOUT THE BASKETBALL (i.e. can shoot off screens).

How many WIDE OPEN 3's was Smart seeing per game in Boston?!?! Now imagine teams have to account for someone that's a much much much much better shooter from the perimeter. Only going to open things up for Tatum/Brown/Walker. We just saw what JOE HARRIS got for a similar skill set from Brooklyn. It's a highly paid skill for a reason. 

 

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tom Hagen said:

Just read Tatum and Mitchell got player options for the 5th year. 

Yeah my son just pointed that out to me. Anything can happen between now and then. He's in for next 5 seasons anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Balco said:

Tristan Thompson was a solid signing as was Teague. Celtics bungled sign and trade with Hayward but both signings are upgrades. I think Thompson is pretty underrated and Teague is an upgrade at backup point.

No reason Celtics can’t compete for East Title - it’s them and the Heat, Raptors and Bucks next year.

I mean the Knicks didn’t want Teague.  I’ll leave it at that.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Free agent Marc Gasol has agreed to a deal with the Lakers, source tells

@TheAthleticNBA

@Stadium

 

Boy the Raptors must have a lot of confidence in Chris Boucher. And (maybe?) have a plan to replace Ibaka & Gasol with something on top of him.

Rough..

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

Sweet. Marc Gasol to sign with Lakers. 
 

Lakers had to trade McGee and a 2nd to Cavs to make room. 
 

Source - my son (I’m so proud)

It'll be great watching Gasol play point center.

He's come full circle. Dealt from the Lakers before he ever really got in the league for his brother, now back for a shot at another title. Hope he can make it to the playoffs healthy.

Edited by Gr00vus
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

Not saying this is who’s starting, Vogel will probably mix and match based on matchups, but ooowhee!

 

Caruso / Schroeder

KCP / Matthews 

LeBron / THT

AD / Kuzma

M Gasol / Harrell

 

😎

yeah, that is a nice pick-up for the Lakers. Good for them still looking to upgrade

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Saric and markieff morris probably the most interesting assuming no maxes Ingram (or close to)

saric back to the Suns.  Morris would be a great backup in Philly, but not sure if he would take a piece of the tax-payer MLE.  Sixers still probably want a pure PG off the bench too, but Augustine gone as well now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Saric and markieff morris probably the most interesting assuming no maxes Ingram (or close to)

Morris supposedly tweeted he's returning to the Lakers.  Hopefully that is more accurate than Howard's tweet saying the same a few days ago.  I have to give Pelinka major props for his work this offseason.  On paper, the Lakers look like a much improved team compared to the one that just won the title.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, The Kansas Comet said:

Morris supposedly tweeted he's returning to the Lakers.  Hopefully that is more accurate than Howard's tweet saying the same a few days ago.  I have to give Pelinka major props for his work this offseason.  On paper, the Lakers look like a much improved team compared to the one that just won the title.

Yep, Morris is signing one year for the minimum. Great signing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

Not saying this is who’s starting, Vogel will probably mix and match based on matchups, but ooowhee!

 

Caruso / Schroeder

KCP / Matthews 

LeBron / THT

AD / Kuzma

M Gasol / Harrell

 

😎

Strong. Good luck to the rest of the Western Conference.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Cousins to Rockets on 1 year non-guaranteed deal. Pure upside signing.

Hopefully he's coming in in shape. Could put up some monsters #s there if he is. 

It’s been so long since we’ve seen him healthy, I have no idea what to expect. Pre injury Cousins wouldn’t have meshed well with Harden, to the extent Harden will still be around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Kansas Comet said:

Morris supposedly tweeted he's returning to the Lakers.  Hopefully that is more accurate than Howard's tweet saying the same a few days ago.  I have to give Pelinka major props for his work this offseason.  On paper, the Lakers look like a much improved team compared to the one that just won the title.

Lakers have made good moves, but about the only reason he can make these free agent moves is the number of vets who are willing to sign at significant discounts vs market value to play with Lebron.  Having Lebron on your roster is a significant advantage as a GM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

So David griffin has completely lost his mind?

extends adams for 2/35?  What is the vision for this team?

Maybe he likes the idea of Zion having to switch all the time. Plus, SA will help him with the Sheilas

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Do Kings match on Bogdanovic? Decision due by tonight.  I think they should in order to keep the asset even if they need to shed some salary in the coming years.

I think with the Fox extension, Halliburton pick, and Hield situation they let him walk. Tough to lose the asset, but it’ll make it tough to absorb this contract if they match. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Capella changed the title to 2020-21 NBA Thread: Overweight, bearded millennial looks for a fresh start in Brooklyn

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...