What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (7 Viewers)

Do Kings match on Bogdanovic? Decision due by tonight.  I think they should in order to keep the asset even if they need to shed some salary in the coming years.
I think they have to unload either him or Hield.  If they match, they apparently can’t deal BB for a year without his consent. Apparently Hield has zero trade market, which mildly surprises me.  To the extent BB is an asset on his offer sheet (and if Hield is toxic on his deal, I’m not sure BB is valuable on this one), I doubt he will be a year from now after jousting with Hield and Halliburton for time on a team that is basically tanking. So, though I think BB>Hield, I think I probably let him walk. 

wikkidpissah said:
Maybe he likes the idea of Zion having to switch all the time. Plus, SA will help him with the Sheilas
I suppose there is a certain logic to that because while it would be ideal for Zion to play center, who knows if and when he could actually handle that defensively.  But it seems to me like they will kind of get into a similar paradigm as the sixers where the spacing gets too clogged up.  I guess if Ingram and ball can maintain their shooting progress, they have a chance, but still seems risky and not worth paying that much money

I suppose there is a certain logic to that because while it would be ideal for Zion to play center, who knows if and when he could actually handle that defensively.  But it seems to me like they will kind of get into a similar paradigm as the sixers where the spacing gets too clogged up.  I guess if Ingram and ball can maintain their shooting progress, they have a chance, but still seems risky and not worth paying that much money
I mean 17 million is about what the 13-15th best C should be making (it puts him right at the 13-15 in the C's paid rankings).  Whether he's what you want next to Zion is another argument (fwiw, I think they do need a tough guy in the middle), but I do think Adams's contract is movable, if needed.  

I mean 17 million is about what the 13-15th best C should be making (it puts him right at the 13-15 in the C's paid rankings).  Whether he's what you want next to Zion is another argument (fwiw, I think they do need a tough guy in the middle), but I do think Adams's contract is movable, if needed.  
Almost every center making more than about $5 is overpaid other than the top 6-8 because the production in the next 30-40 is so similar.

Kings declined to match Hawks offer on Bogdan. 

Hawks looking real nice and deep right now. Also have a bunch of tradeable assets. It'll be interesting how and if Hunter/Reddish fit in here. Both had some real nice moments as rookies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost every center making more than about $5 is overpaid other than the top 6-8 because the production in the next 30-40 is so similar.
I think that was true 2-3 years ago, but isn't anymore.  Replacement level C that championship contenders feel OK about using in the conference semi's and beyond are worth at least the MLE these days (having to guard Embiid, Jokic, Davis, Bam, etc.) isn't something most $5 million dollar, non rookie deal, non sweetheart veterans (Marc says :hi:) can handle these days.  Is Adams worth the contract he was on, obviously no.  Is he worth 17 million for his age 29 and 30 seasons as the veteran on a young team and anchor of the defense when you already have two 25+ ppg scorers on the team, yes.   

Pretty much until the later playoffs come around.
Yup.  Not having a decent center at least on the defensive end can very easily separate a really good team from being a contender.  Look at the clippers vs the Nuggets--montrezl was eaten up by Jokic.  Look at Milwaukee or the Celtics against Bam and Miami.   I hate to say it-but imo--the situation in Houston might have been a lot different if Capela stayed healthy last year and they kept him. I actually worry that the Lakers losing Howard and McGee and replacing them with Harrell and Gasol hurts them a lot on the defensive end.  

Yup.  Not having a decent center at least on the defensive end can very easily separate a really good team from being a contender.  Look at the clippers vs the Nuggets--montrezl was eaten up by Jokic.  Look at Milwaukee or the Celtics against Bam and Miami.   I hate to say it-but imo--the situation in Houston might have been a lot different if Capela stayed healthy last year and they kept him. I actually worry that the Lakers losing Howard and McGee and replacing them with Harrell and Gasol hurts them a lot on the defensive end.  
Could not agree with this more (as well as Sammy's post)...it's great to have a legit Center that can hit a 3 but they are difficult to find and if they can't play D he will eventually cost you...the Celts had no answers for Bam last year which is why the Thompson signing was so important...they now have a legit big body that can bang because as you guys point out come playoff time when so much is about specific matchups it becomes very important.

Looks like both Bam and Ingram signed their max extensions. Great news for both of them. 
if miami wanted to sign Giannis next year, it would have been a lot easier to wait to sign bam next year and keep the space.

bam and giannis have the same agent.

so .... happy days for the Bangos?

I think that was true 2-3 years ago, but isn't anymore.  Replacement level C that championship contenders feel OK about using in the conference semi's and beyond are worth at least the MLE these days (having to guard Embiid, Jokic, Davis, Bam, etc.) isn't something most $5 million dollar, non rookie deal, non sweetheart veterans (Marc says :hi:) can handle these days.  Is Adams worth the contract he was on, obviously no.  Is he worth 17 million for his age 29 and 30 seasons as the veteran on a young team and anchor of the defense when you already have two 25+ ppg scorers on the team, yes.   
I think it is more true then ever. How much better is Adams then, say, Dwight Howard or Hassan Whiteside (in addition to the previously mentioned Gasol)? Adams is a good player, but I think that list of centers show exactly why he isn't worth the money - he doesn't have the perimeter skills defensively to keep up with those guys and doesn't have the offensive skills to make small ball teams worry playing a PF at C. OKC was +1 with Adams on the bench these playoffs, -50 with him in the game.

I think it is more true then ever. How much better is Adams then, say, Dwight Howard or Hassan Whiteside (in addition to the previously mentioned Gasol)? Adams is a good player, but I think that list of centers show exactly why he isn't worth the money - he doesn't have the perimeter skills defensively to keep up with those guys and doesn't have the offensive skills to make small ball teams worry playing a PF at C. OKC was +1 with Adams on the bench these playoffs, -50 with him in the game.
it's like running backs - the best thing in football is having a budget bellcow; the worst thing is a tie between having an overpaid bellcow who dont care no mo and not having one at all 

I’ve been hating on Whiteside since long before it was cool, but he just signed a *minimum* deal with the Kings. Goes to the point that you can and should get serviceable traditional big man services cheaply. 

I’ve been hating on Whiteside since long before it was cool, but he just signed a *minimum* deal with the Kings. Goes to the point that you can and should get serviceable traditional big man services cheaply. 
if the Hornets cared a whit about mattering they shoulda did this five days ago

if the Hornets cared a whit about mattering they shoulda did this five days ago
i'm kind of surprised all of those other enters moved before Whiteside, especially considering he is likely going for the minimum. Certainly would have thought he would bring more value then a guy like Okafor

Boston said to be configuring a sign and trade for Hayward. Hornets would get Hayward and picks. Third team needed to take on Batum contract. Celtics would get a $30 million trade exception. 

kind of crazy looking at some of these names left still. I remember when Mudiay got drafted a lot of people thought he would be the top PG coming out that year. loking at that 2015 draft class it shows how much of a crap shoot the draft can be (https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2015.html)

from Bobby Marks:

Free agents still available

1. Reggie Jackson
  2. Shabazz Napier
  3. Chris Chiozza
  4. Tyler Johnson
  5. Evan Turner
  6. Gary Payton II
  7. Yogi Ferrell
  8. Emmanuel Mudiay
  9. J.J. Barea
  10. Brandon Knight
  11. Shaquille Harrison
  12. Courtney Lee
  13. Jordan McRae
  14. Dion Waiters
  15. Troy Daniels
  16. Jamal Crawford
  17. Marco Belinelli
  18. Glenn Robinson
  19. Kyle Korver
  20. Thabo Sefolosha
  21. Alize Johnson
  22. Malcolm Miller
  23. Treveon Graham
  24. Andre Roberson
  25. Ersan Ilyasova
  26. Frank Kaminsky
  27. Taj Gibson
  28. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Boston said to be configuring a sign and trade for Hayward. Hornets would get Hayward and picks. Third team needed to take on Batum contract. Celtics would get a $30 million trade exception. 
when is the deadline for this? i heard it was tonight? funny how this has been the report when they extended Heyward's deadline by 2 days since last Tuesday and there is a whole lot of nothing

Who’s going to be able to (let alone want) to take on Batum’s contract?

if anyone wanted him, they could just wait until he’s waived and get him for the minimum. 

I’m guessing this is just Ainge trying to show everyone how hard he tried to get something for Heyward. 

if anyone wanted him, they could just wait until he’s waived and get him for the minimum. 

I’m guessing this is just Ainge trying to show everyone how hard he tried to get something for Heyward. 
I think that the knicks could still technically do it

i could have relations with the entire Maxim list if i could just get them to take my Batum...

if miami wanted to sign Giannis next year, it would have been a lot easier to wait to sign bam next year and keep the space.

bam and giannis have the same agent.

so .... happy days for the Bangos?
Bucks radio PxP guy (Ted Davis who's pretty well connected within the organization) said on his local show today that he expects it to be done this weekend or next at the latest and that the Bam signing was essentially the final signal. Unless something crazy stupid happens, once he gets back from Greece it's likely a done deal.

After the Bogdan fiasco, I'll believe it once pen hits paper

modogg said:
kind of crazy looking at some of these names left still. I remember when Mudiay got drafted a lot of people thought he would be the top PG coming out that year. loking at that 2015 draft class it shows how much of a crap shoot the draft can be (https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2015.html)

from Bobby Marks:

Free agents still available

1. Reggie Jackson
  2. Shabazz Napier
  3. Chris Chiozza
  4. Tyler Johnson
  5. Evan Turner
  6. Gary Payton II
  7. Yogi Ferrell
  8. Emmanuel Mudiay
  9. J.J. Barea
  10. Brandon Knight
  11. Shaquille Harrison
  12. Courtney Lee
  13. Jordan McRae
  14. Dion Waiters
  15. Troy Daniels
  16. Jamal Crawford
  17. Marco Belinelli
  18. Glenn Robinson
  19. Kyle Korver
  20. Thabo Sefolosha
  21. Alize Johnson
  22. Malcolm Miller
  23. Treveon Graham
  24. Andre Roberson
  25. Ersan Ilyasova
  26. Frank Kaminsky
  27. Taj Gibson
  28. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Another 2015 alum Kaminsky finds a home in Sacramento tonight. I hated that pick so much for Charlotte (though I wanted Winslow so can't win them all).

@ShamsCharania

Boston has signed and traded Gordon Hayward and two future second-round picks to Charlotte for a conditional future second-round pick. Celtics also receive a trade exception.
Surprised Boston was able to get that huge trade exception w/o having to give a first. But then again, they're dealing with Charlotte.

And Charlotte is in fact waiving Batum. So Hayward will be in essence nearly $40 mil/yr player for them. Woof.

@ShamsCharania

The Charlotte Hornets are waiving forward Nicolas Batum, sources tell

@TheAthleticNBA @Stadium

I was looking at the top salaries on the books for next season and was shocked at how many players earn more than that number.

I was looking at the top salaries on the books for next season and was shocked at how many players earn more than that number.
A max rookie extension, a max offer for rfa, and of course a max for vets are all above that now, so probably like 30 or 40 players, I would guess

Like who?
Gord just got himself a 120 million dollar contract. maybe that's not "max" money, but that's pretty ridiculous.

maybe this isn't the thread for not being serious.

eta: i forget if it was Russillo or Simmons who said Morey once told them that there are always 7-8 bad GM's in the league so he never had to worry about finding a trade partner, or way to move a bad contract because one of those guys would do something dumb. 

Surprised Boston was able to get that huge trade exception w/o having to give a first. But then again, they're dealing with Charlotte.
Love what Boston's done this offseason addressing their needs. They got their bruiser in the middle in Thompson to add a completely different element to their existing centers. The element that got exposed inside by Miami.  They got the draft's premier shooter in Nesmith. They got this huge trade exception to address any need that come about. Added to a team that made the conference finals w/o Hayward. 

Toronto downgraded losing both Ibaka & Gasol. Someone in Milwaukee's gonna have to emerge in playoffs beside Giannis for them to take next step. Miami remains intact. Brooklyn looks decent on paper but if Durant's not near 100%, they're not going anywhere. ATL looks like a team on the rise but likely years away. Indiana could be a threat if all healthy. There's no other competition in the East.

Users who are viewing this thread