Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020-21 NBA Thread: Overweight, bearded millennial looks for a fresh start in Brooklyn


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

Gord just got himself a 120 million dollar contract. maybe that's not "max" money, but that's pretty ridiculous.

maybe this isn't the thread for not being serious.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

eta: i forget if it was Russillo or Simmons who said Morey once told them that there are always 7-8 bad GM's in the league so he never had to worry about finding a trade partner, or way to move a bad contract because one of those guys would do something dumb. 

Yeah but Hayward’s contract wasn’t about him suddenly having a big year and then getting paid off of that.  There are certainly dumb gms like kupchak, but I think that nowadays it has a lot less to do with getting paid off of being a flash in the pan.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. He's the commissioner now. 

Full 5-year supermax with a player option after the 4th year It's a great day in Milwaukee!!!

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1349468100601782281?s=21  

Lavine, White, Markannen, Porter, Carter. Dotson backup point guard, Gafford backup 4-5,  The rest playing for their NBA lives...Billy D upgrade should be immeaasurable.  Defense at the guard position glaring weakness but cheapest fix IMO. cue Alan Parsons Project...  sleeper pick...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Can someone explain how the trade exceptions work again?

Basically they can trade for anyone up to the trade exception amount and just absorb the contract (ie it makes the salary cap 120% matching irrelevant).  The nub is it can't be combined with outgoing salary to gross up (i.e. get someone making more than what the exception is worth).   It looks like Beal makes too much, but someone like Aldridge or DeRozan, etc..  They also have to stay under the 138 million dollar apron since they used the MLE which means they have roughly 20 million to use of it without sending out additional salary.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

Basically they can trade for anyone up to the trade exception amount and just absorb the contract (ie it makes the salary cap 120% matching irrelevant).  The nub is it can't be combined with outgoing salary to gross up (i.e. get someone making more than what the exception is worth).   It looks like Beal makes too much, but someone like Aldridge or DeRozan, etc..  They also have to stay under the 138 million dollar apron since they used the MLE which means they have roughly 20 million to use of it without sending out additional salary.  

i've also heard that, since it's good for a calendar year, that they can use it to "create" capspace to sign a free agent next offseason. correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

What players in recent years have been acquired with a trade exception?  It seems like fans always talk about how valuable they are but I don't think they are used very much in practice.

Oubre by GS and OKC used some of theirs in the various trades this offseason.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

i've also heard that, since it's good for a calendar year, that they can use it to "create" capspace to sign a free agent next offseason. correct?

They'd have to have to do a sign and trade, but yes since it lasts until some point into next offseason they could do that.  With Tatum's extension, they'd have to either use that and go over the apron or the MLE.  To add anyone of any significance next offseason, they basically have to get off of Smart or Thompson and/or decline some of G Williams/R Williams/Langford.

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sammy3469 said:

OKC used some of theirs in the various trades this offseason.  

the cool thing is, if Traitor Danny doesnt have a blockbuster (Gobert?) in mind or the exception isnt all eaten up by having to replace Kemba (considering the Green's post-Leprechaun karma, a possibility), it can be used piecemeal if the Cs need patches. it's just nice, in the present construct, to be over the cap and still able to shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

the cool thing is, if Traitor Danny doesnt have a blockbuster (Gobert?) in mind or the exception isnt all eaten up by having to replace Kemba (considering the Green's post-Leprechaun karma, a possibility), it can be used piecemeal if the Cs need patches. it's just nice, in the present construct, to be over the cap and still able to shop.

I think it's a one time deal.  They have to blow it in one shot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2020 at 7:56 PM, Bears_Man2 said:

Love what Boston's done this offseason addressing their needs. They got their bruiser in the middle in Thompson to add a completely different element to their existing centers. The element that got exposed inside by Miami.  They got the draft's premier shooter in Nesmith. They got this huge trade exception to address any need that come about. Added to a team that made the conference finals w/o Hayward. 

Toronto downgraded losing both Ibaka & Gasol. Someone in Milwaukee's gonna have to emerge in playoffs beside Giannis for them to take next step. Miami remains intact. Brooklyn looks decent on paper but if Durant's not near 100%, they're not going anywhere. ATL looks like a team on the rise but likely years away. Indiana could be a threat if all healthy. There's no other competition in the East.

 

Keep preaching!!! And i hope you guys can keep posting silliness like above so Vegas can bump up the NBA win totals for Boston. Brad Stevens does have those guys playing hard every game and not taking any off, but looking forward to max betting the under wins for Boston this year.

Sits at 46.5 right now with a 72-game season (2nd highest in the East, 4th highest overall). I don't think they will break 40 wins, but hoping that number still goes up. Only obstacle is Stevens coaching the guys up for every single game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2020 at 1:59 PM, wikkidpissah said:

the cool thing is, if Traitor Danny doesnt have a blockbuster (Gobert?) in mind or the exception isnt all eaten up by having to replace Kemba (considering the Green's post-Leprechaun karma, a possibility), it can be used piecemeal if the Cs need patches. it's just nice, in the present construct, to be over the cap and still able to shop.

i would guess that Utah will not want to move on from Gobert, unless that dope caused more internal issues then the media reported. Names mentioned are Heild, Aldridge, maybe Oladipo, and Christian "TTP part 2" Wood. Julius Randle too, and that would be somewhat interesting. 

Celtics would have to give something up to facilitate one of these trades. Seeing how Danny was calling half of the teams in the league to move Kemba, he may get lucky and find a team to take him and his gimpy knee

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, modogg said:

i would guess that Utah will not want to move on from Gobert, unless that dope caused more internal issues then the media reported. Names mentioned are Heild, Aldridge, maybe Oladipo, and Christian "TTP part 2" Wood. Julius Randle too, and that would be somewhat interesting. 

Celtics would have to give something up to facilitate one of these trades. Seeing how Danny was calling half of the teams in the league to move Kemba, he may get lucky and find a team to take him and his gimpy knee

All those names would make some sense.

Boston's best off holding off as long as possible to make a move IMO. See what happens with team/injuries. Doesn't sound like Kemba's knee is responding well. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he misses most of the season. Obviously wouldn't have paid Hayward near $30m/yr but another facilitator could be what they end up needing. I think Tatum's a budding superstar but another distributor would help matters a lot. (Smart's gonna have to handle a huge load with Hayward gone....and Kemba likely looking at extended absence)

I'm a big fan of the Tristan Thompson addition to their center rotation. We know what he is at this point but just the type of piece they needed for it IMO. Solid defensively at all levels, able to switch on screens w/o being completely exposed and a bruser down low. Their centers were fine all year until the ECF vs. Bam. I'm interested to see if Time Lord continues to grow or he's put on the back burner with Thompson now there along with Theis.

I think Boston's also got some bench potential with their youngs. I'm a HUGE Aaron Nesmith fan. Think if/when he gets the PT he's gonna be a huge asset as an outside shooter with his ability to move without the ball. And if Kemba's gone for awhile, which seems like is a distinct possibility, they'll need some guys to step up.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

All those names would make some sense.

Boston's best off holding off as long as possible to make a move IMO. See what happens with team/injuries. Doesn't sound like Kemba's knee is responding well. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he misses most of the season. Obviously wouldn't have paid Hayward near $30m/yr but another facilitator could be what they end up needing. I think Tatum's a budding superstar but another distributor would help matters a lot. (Smart's gonna have to handle a huge load with Hayward gone....and Kemba likely looking at extended absence)

I'm a big fan of the Tristan Thompson addition to their center rotation. We know what he is at this point but just the type of piece they needed for it IMO. Solid defensively at all levels, able to switch on screens w/o being completely exposed and a bruser down low. Their centers were fine all year until the ECF vs. Bam. I'm interested to see if Time Lord continues to grow or he's put on the back burner with Thompson now there along with Theis.

I think Boston's also got some bench potential with their youngs. I'm a HUGE Aaron Nesmith fan. Think if/when he gets the PT he's gonna be a huge asset as an outside shooter with his ability to move without the ball. And if Kemba's gone for awhile, which seems like is a distinct possibility, they'll need some guys to step up.

that is a bit of the infuriating thing with Boston (for the non-Celtics's fans). I don't think the talent level is all that high with their young guys, but mother f'ing Brad Stevens really does a nice job getting the most out of a lot of these guys, like the Isaiah Thomas Jr. types. I agree with most of the draft predictions that Peyton Pritchard is worth like a late round 2nd, if that. But pretty sure under Stevens the guy will be a nice 7-8 guy on their team

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

All those names would make some sense.

Boston's best off holding off as long as possible to make a move IMO. See what happens with team/injuries. Doesn't sound like Kemba's knee is responding well. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he misses most of the season. Obviously wouldn't have paid Hayward near $30m/yr but another facilitator could be what they end up needing. I think Tatum's a budding superstar but another distributor would help matters a lot. (Smart's gonna have to handle a huge load with Hayward gone....and Kemba likely looking at extended absence)

I'm a big fan of the Tristan Thompson addition to their center rotation. We know what he is at this point but just the type of piece they needed for it IMO. Solid defensively at all levels, able to switch on screens w/o being completely exposed and a bruser down low. Their centers were fine all year until the ECF vs. Bam. I'm interested to see if Time Lord continues to grow or he's put on the back burner with Thompson now there along with Theis.

I think Boston's also got some bench potential with their youngs. I'm a HUGE Aaron Nesmith fan. Think if/when he gets the PT he's gonna be a huge asset as an outside shooter with his ability to move without the ball. And if Kemba's gone for awhile, which seems like is a distinct possibility, they'll need some guys to step up.

Terry Rozier could probably be had...

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Terry Rozier could probably be had...

hearing that Evan Turner has joined the C's coaching staff made me think about how none of the players who made their bones under Coach Stevens then moved on have ever asked or been asked back. Turner, Crowder, AB, Jeff Green, the Leprechaun of course, Olynyk, Rozier. When you combine that with "happy to be" Celtics like Horford & Hayward opting out, you start to wonder

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bad Xmas slate.

New Orleans Pelicans @ Miami Heat, 12 p.m. ET

Golden State Warriors @ Milwaukee Bucks, 2:30 p.m. ET

Brooklyn Nets @ Boston Celtics, 5 p.m. ET

Dallas Mavericks @ Los Angeles Lakers, 8 p.m. ET

Los Angeles Clippers @ Denver Nuggets, 10:30 p.m. ET

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m afraid this is going to be the main storyline of the season. 
 

Stein

546 NBA players were tested for the coronavirus from Nov. 24-30 ...

48 returned positive tests ...

That’s 8.8 percent of the league as teams reassembled after the shortest offseason in league history ...
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

I assume year 2 is player option?

Here’s what Albert nahmad said

LeBron's deal can't BOTH pay out $85.7M AND have a player option. That's against the rules. The figure total is being reported by ESPN as factual, which would mean it doesn't have a player option. I tweeted out more details about the LeBron option scenarios earlier.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not happy the Wiz gave up the extra first rounder.  It's really a straight up salary cap swap to move two mildly disgruntled players.   But Westbrook will sell a lot more tickets than Wall, who has kinda worn out his welcome with the fans after not playing for 2 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Boy did Houston really want Westbrook gone. And verifies Westbrook had zero market. Even the Knicks passed when their affinity for "PGs" that can't shoot.

 

The fact that the Knicks passed on him maybe the first sign of life they have had in recent memory.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Capella changed the title to 2020-21 NBA Thread: Overweight, bearded millennial looks for a fresh start in Brooklyn

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member


×
×
  • Create New...