What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (6 Viewers)

What did I miss last night? Didn't even know the Draft was happening last night until my son informed the Heat were getting ready to pick. 

Am I reading correctly this Ball kid wants a trade already? He's on the naughty list already. 

Dani Avdija ... steal of the draft at 9.  He's no Doncic.  But there is huge upside.  Likely will grow a couple more inches.   Can shoot, dribble, basketball genes, and is fairly athletic.  Considering how weak this draft was, love what les Bullets did here.  Not sure about Winston in 2nd though.  Always seemed slow to me.
when it is all said and done (or maybe just after the next basketball season), i think there will be a few players identified as steals. If i had to pick objectively, Memphis jumping back into the 1st round and grabbing Desmond Bane at 30 is the one i would pick. Obviously Hasliburton will be mentioned a bunch too, but Bane that late is impressive. Guy hit 43 3 pointers in a row at some point last season 

You finally come around on Jerami? He was a great fit with what y’all had going on this year, I agree, hope they can work out a deal for him to stay.
His shot fell more than I thought it would and I thought he did better against the big time SFs (Leonard/George/Lebron) than expected - he can't lock them down, but he can be left alone on them well enough. Paired with Porter, he can take the tougher assignment defensively and has just enough offensive skill and shooting ability not to muck things up. Porter's rebounding negates what is Grant's biggest weakness. 

Dani Avdija ... steal of the draft at 9.  He's no Doncic.  But there is huge upside.  Likely will grow a couple more inches.   Can shoot, dribble, basketball genes, and is fairly athletic.  Considering how weak this draft was, love what les Bullets did here.  Not sure about Winston in 2nd though.  Always seemed slow to me.
He's not a good shooter at all.  How often to sub 60% free throw shooters develop good three point shooting?  I believe it's basically never.  

Oh the Knicks.  I hope this isn't setting up as the Russell Westbrook landing spot, but it seems sort of likely.  They're the 1 of 2 teams with cap space, no place to spend it, and the worst PG situation in the league.  But they did manage to pick an undersized 2, a big whose hips are so stiff he can't move laterally, and dumped a perfectly viable top of the second pick for a 2023 second. Wonderful.  Can't wait for the 5th picks in the 2021 and 2022 drafts.

What a great day for the Sixers... pretty happy with all the moves and especially to lose Horford. 
any team that can consider Al Horford a boondoggle (and i freely stipulate that he didn't fit and y'all paid him too much) has problems too big for the entire Rivers family to solve.

This rotation (filled in with a couple low-level FAs) feels 100 times better to me.  It's like I can already breathe more easily with just the idea of Curry and Green spacing the floor so much better than Horford and Richardson.

Harris
Simmons
Embiid
Curry
Green
Shake
Matisse
Ferguson
Maxey

This rotation (filled in with a couple low-level FAs) feels 100 times better to me.  It's like I can already breathe more easily with just the idea of Curry and Green spacing the floor so much better than Horford and Richardson.

Harris
Simmons
Embiid
Curry
Green
Shake
Matisse
Ferguson
Maxey
Are we relying on Kyle O'Quinn to backup and spot start for Embiid though?  I guess Mike Scott is the primary backup at the 4?  Got two weeks until camp! lol

Harris
Simmons
Embiid
Curry
Green
Shake
Matisse
Ferguson
Maxey
The most important name isn't even listed - Daryl Morey.  Yes, he's always been a star-hunter but his ability to sign/cheaply trade for undervalued players that eventually get rotational minutes can't be underestimated.  I still don't believe the Simmons/Embiid combo will work, but I would trust Morey to get max value for whichever one he eventually ships out.  Or both.

He's not a good shooter at all.  How often to sub 60% free throw shooters develop good three point shooting?  I believe it's basically never.  

This. I like the guy a lot (he's big and can really handle it, which is always fun) but him becoming a plus shooter seems unlikely.  Doesn't mean he can't improve or being really good regardless, but right now he's bad. (at shooting. not everything else)

Way to use a sample size of 18 FTs 😂     They don't exactly call a lot of fouls in the Euro league.  He was 100% the year before.  2 for 2.  Does that make him a perfect shooter?

Having coached AAU ball for 20+ years, for shooting it is all about form.  His form is solid.  He's 19 years old and 6'9". No way has he been asked to shoot from distance in games.  Form says he can be good enough shooter to play the 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to use a sample size of 18 FTs 😂     They don't exactly call a lot of fouls in the Euro league.  He was 100% the year before.  2 for 2.  Does that make him a perfect shooter?

Having coached AAU ball for 20+ years, for shooting it is all about form.  His form is solid.  He's 19 years old and 6'9". No way has he been asked to shoot from distance in games.  Form says he can be good enough shooter to play the 4.

58.8 percent free throw percentage (114 attempts). Free throw accuracy has riddled Avdija throughout his basketball life. He shot just 42-of-82 (51.2 percent) from the charity stripe with Maccabi in 2018-19, and 27-for-45 (60 percent) in the FIBA U20 European Championship with Israel.

Are we relying on Kyle O'Quinn to backup and spot start for Embiid though?  I guess Mike Scott is the primary backup at the 4?  Got two weeks until camp! lol
that should be an easy spot to solve.

I think that Nerlens might be coming back, also.  Pelle is still theoretically an option, though that would be risky to rely on.

The most important name isn't even listed - Daryl Morey.  Yes, he's always been a star-hunter but his ability to sign/cheaply trade for undervalued players that eventually get rotational minutes can't be underestimated.  I still don't believe the Simmons/Embiid combo will work, but I would trust Morey to get max value for whichever one he eventually ships out.  Or both.
well, yeah, that's implicit in the whole thing.  Instead of being locked in to whatever box the prior regime seemed to be in, he actually tried to figure out who might actually work on the court with embiid and simmons...so the offense just might not look like a clogged toilet too much this year.

that should be an easy spot to solve.

I think that Nerlens might be coming back, also.  Pelle is still theoretically an option, though that would be risky to rely on.
Yup. Morey's press conference post draft already hinted that they have one or 2 guys lined up to back-up Joel. Sounds like Doc Rivers has recruited some more and might be someone linked through him. Either way, it sounds like almost a guarantee that the Sixers will bring in a quality back-up.

it is just so refreshing having a front office that seems to have a plan about the team. about 1/3 of the way into last season i was ready to give up on the Sixers for a few years. That team was literally harder to watch then the process Sixers

Also really happy with whatever the Sixers held over for their scouting and draft choices. Have had some great later round hits with Shake Milton, Jerami Grant, Rashad Holmes, etc. 

The Isaiah Joe pick at 49 could turn out to be a quality bench guy and is certainly better than 1/2 of the guys taken in the 2nd round. Also reading how John Hollinger had Paul Reed ranked number 12 on his big board. Analytics guys love him, and the bench all of a sudden seems to have some legit quality to it. 

Really interesting to see how Doc rolls his line-ups, from starters and finishes. Hearing rumors how they really want to put out a fast-paced track team with Ben and all shooters for like a 5-minute spurt of pure run and gun basketball. Plays right to Ben's strengths

Also really happy with whatever the Sixers held over for their scouting and draft choices. Have had some great later round hits with Shake Milton, Jerami Grant, Rashad Holmes, etc. 

The Isaiah Joe pick at 49 could turn out to be a quality bench guy and is certainly better than 1/2 of the guys taken in the 2nd round. Also reading how John Hollinger had Paul Reed ranked number 12 on his big board. Analytics guys love him, and the bench all of a sudden seems to have some legit quality to it. 

Really interesting to see how Doc rolls his line-ups, from starters and finishes. Hearing rumors how they really want to put out a fast-paced track team with Ben and all shooters for like a 5-minute spurt of pure run and gun basketball. Plays right to Ben's strengths
That's the key - how Doc rolls out the minutes.  He's never been a real analytically driven head coach.  Tough to maximize players like Joe or Reed if the coach doesn't buy the background reasons they are on the roster in the first place.  Probably a minor item to note vs Embiid health, Simmons role with ball on offense, Harris on defense, etc but that's one item I'll be paying attention to.

That's the key - how Doc rolls out the minutes.  He's never been a real analytically driven head coach.  Tough to maximize players like Joe or Reed if the coach doesn't buy the background reasons they are on the roster in the first place.  Probably a minor item to note vs Embiid health, Simmons role with ball on offense, Harris on defense, etc but that's one item I'll be paying attention to.
Plus Rivers’ MO is overplaying vets and underplaying young guys. 

@ShamsCharania

The Knicks declined team option on Bobby Portis ($15.7M) and waived Taj Gibson ($10.29M) and Elfrid Payton ($8M), sources tell

@TheAthleticNBA

. Frees up salary space for New York.
Charlotte has competition for Westbrook!!!

Let the bidding war commence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“Florida State has now produced more NBA first-rounders (five) than NFL first-rounders (three) since 2016.”
it feels like with FSU basketball players you know what you're getting. they're going to be hard workers, they're going to defend and they have been well coached to actually play basketball.

it's like Wisconsin o-linemen. they do the things they do really well, if maybe they aren't superstars with unlimited upside.

Setting high expectations preseason then getting pissed off when the team disappoints? 
To begin, let’s stand on the shoulders of Charlie Munger.  Let’s start with him and his approach. His two-part technique is:

1. First, what are the factors that really govern the interests involved, rationally considered?

2. Second, what are the subconscious influences where the brain at a subconscious level is automatically doing these things—which by and large are useful, but which often malfunctions?

To do this requires you to divorce process from outcome. 

Woj: Atlanta is trading Dewayne Dedmon to the Pistons for Khyri Thomas and Tony Snell.

Incompetence by the Bucks or renege by Bogdan?  
If it is dead, I’d have to guess the latter. I don’t think execs at two teams would leak that a sign and trade was a done deal without speaking to the player supposedly signing. There were some analysts who reacted to the trade by noting Atlanta was willing to offer more salary - maybe Bogdan got wind of that?

so what is up with the C's and Heyward? guessing they will be stuck with paying him a pretty penny by the end of today? i know they extended his hold until today at 5, so seems C's have got themselves stuck.

Combining that with what they came away with last night with the 3 first round picks, Ainge's golden glow may be shrinking. The rumors of Heyward to Atlanta for one of their centers seemed to make some sense until they traded away Dedmon. Shame they couldn't trade one of those 1st round picks and some other stuff for Capella

so what is up with the C's and Heyward? guessing they will be stuck with paying him a pretty penny by the end of today? i know they extended his hold until today at 5, so seems C's have got themselves stuck.

Combining that with what they came away with last night with the 3 first round picks, Ainge's golden glow may be shrinking. The rumors of Heyward to Atlanta for one of their centers seemed to make some sense until they traded away Dedmon. Shame they couldn't trade one of those 1st round picks and some other stuff for Capella
should have been patient and could have answered my own question:

Gordon Hayward has opted out of his $34M deal for the season and will become a free agent, per

@ShamsCharania

Really does make you think how many NBA players really dislike the Celtics. Every free agent and big guy that isn't home grown wants to leave as soon as they can. Wonder if it has something to do with Brown and Tatum (sideline fights have been fun to watch), or if it is a front office thing. 

I do think this hurts Boston a bit. Dude is injured a lot, but they are definitely a different team when he is out there. Maybe the C's are pulling a 2018-2019 Sixers strategy and just putting out a crap product 

should have been patient and could have answered my own question:

Gordon Hayward has opted out of his $34M deal for the season and will become a free agent, per

@ShamsCharania

Really does make you think how many NBA players really dislike the Celtics. Every free agent and big guy that isn't home grown wants to leave as soon as they can. Wonder if it has something to do with Brown and Tatum (sideline fights have been fun to watch), or if it is a front office thing. 

I do think this hurts Boston a bit. Dude is injured a lot, but they are definitely a different team when he is out there. Maybe the C's are pulling a 2018-2019 Sixers strategy and just putting out a crap product 
Follow the $...like Horford Hayward will have a team give him a contract they will regret very quickly (and I don't blame the players for taking it either)...if this does not turn into a sign and trade it will hurt...not so much that they are losing Hayward (although that does hurt) but because this is not a situation where they get to use the cap space he was taking up...pressure will be on Ainge, while he did a great job building them into a contender without doing a pre-meditated tank job he needs to figure out how to get that missing piece or two that gets them over the top...Tatum/Brown is a fantastic foundation (with a lot more upside) and they have some solid prospects in the kids they drafted last night, Grant Williams, Time Lord and Langford but he has to figure out how to address that gaping hole in the middle if they want to go from good to very good. 

Follow the $...like Horford Hayward will have a team give him a contract they will regret very quickly (and I don't blame the players for taking it either)...if this does not turn into a sign and trade it will hurt...not so much that they are losing Hayward (although that does hurt) but because this is not a situation where they get to use the cap space he was taking up...pressure will be on Ainge, while he did a great job building them into a contender without doing a pre-meditated tank job he needs to figure out how to get that missing piece or two that gets them over the top...Tatum/Brown is a fantastic foundation (with a lot more upside) and they have some solid prospects in the kids they drafted last night, Grant Williams, Time Lord and Langford but he has to figure out how to address that gaping hole in the middle if they want to go from good to very good. 
will be interesting. I guess Tatum will play this year out and sign his extension next year? they will certainly need to max him. Will be interesting to see what they can do, and if any free agents want to go there. it just seems like they can get solid guys to come in, and they look to leave, and leave a little bitterly. No idea if Ainge even handles the contract negotiations, but you have to wonder if he is getting a bad reputation. 

For Gordon to opt out of the $34 million is a ton of money to turn away from. I don't know what his aim is, but they do talk about how him and his family are not happy with the situation. 

Just seems like the idea of the East being weak is starting to erode a bit, and it seems like there are a few times getting better and Boston is beginning to slide into that mid-tier group outside of the top 3-4 teams. 

it hurts because it dont get us under the cap (and ownership has proven over & over since the Jersey trade that things which save the Celtics actual expenditure are more likely than not to occur) to seek replacement, but the Green will feel the loss of Horford more

Users who are viewing this thread