What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (3 Viewers)

I miss the old days of big time defensive teams.....I also dont like how you need 2-3 superstars in order to have a chance....rooting for a team without stars for a long time it stinks to know you have no shot....
yeah i agree. Listening to these podcasts and other media heads, they make it sound like every team outside of the Lakers and Nets needs to trade for Bradley Beal now. I don't know why they have created this environment where they act like the NBA has literally turned into 2K, but it does bring in ratings and listeners so it obviously works for viewers. 

Kiddnets said:
As a long term Nets fan this is still surreal to me.....I would love to see an NBA title in my life time but it will be much less satisfaction than if they would have pulled it off in the Kidd run...this just feels like my team is being used....but ill take it lol.  

First 2 games with KD/Harden went really well....part of me is nervous that Kyrie coming back may muck it up....we'll see
Super sloppy so far.  That was ok when they didn't miss in their first 10 shots, but not so good when they haven't hit one since.  More turnovers than baskets lately, and Allen playing well for Cleveland.

Not hating here, but the Celtics have got very good at embellishing to get calls on defense. Somehow Ben makes 2 great plays crushing to the net to score and they call him for 2 offensive fouls in a row. 

Milton is the best guard on the sixers.....Simmons need to play minimal minutes.   Guy continues to be terrible

Hell i would let Maxey play over simmons

Last edited by a moderator:
Not hating here, but the Celtics have got very good at embellishing to get calls on defense. Somehow Ben makes 2 great plays crushing to the net to score and they call him for 2 offensive fouls in a row. 
Simmons is so bad.   Hope they shed him for anything

Milton is the best guard on the sixers.....Simmons need to play minimal minutes.   Guy continues to be terrible

Hell i would let Maxey play over simmons
will disagee a bit. watched the series when Ben was on the bench and Shake was running point and the Cetics dominated for a straight 3-4 minute stretch. I was trying to figure out why the offense could not do a thing, and realized it was Joel, Kork, Shake, and 2 others and nothing happened for like 3-4 minutes

what the hell are they doing? Toby and Shake on a breakaway 2 on 1 and they look atrocious throwing the ball out of bounds  :wall: .

It's a shame because everyone is going to say they need to trade this and that, but what this team needs is some practice time

i don't care what anyone says,  you absolutely do not want your best players on the court in crunch time of a close game. if he fouls out he might have to sit out the next game, right??

will disagee a bit. watched the series when Ben was on the bench and Shake was running point and the Cetics dominated for a straight 3-4 minute stretch. I was trying to figure out why the offense could not do a thing, and realized it was Joel, Kork, Shake, and 2 others and nothing happened for like 3-4 minutes
Listen Simmons isn't terrible but I'm sorry his lack of shooting just pisses me off.  That is all

Embiid has to be so frustrating to cover. he does flop and embellish from time to time, but he also just physically dominates 85% of the league. Theis is still complaining to the refs a few minutes after the game ends

Listen Simmons isn't terrible but I'm sorry his lack of shooting just pisses me off.  That is all
he hit those 2 FTs down the stretch, and helped me win the cover, so i am ok with him for tonight. He has had a bad season so far, but i am in the boat of giving him some time with Cassell to see if he can improve on anything. 

i do think this is the last year of a trial run for Ben. if he doesn't show signs of improvement offensively in the half court it may never happen for him 

Officials absolutely let Embiid just run guys over all night and rewarded him with every single touch as a foul, even when he initiated all the contact.

Hard to win when the opponent gets to shoot almost 3 times as many free throws and Embiid is allowed to just lower his shoulder through Theis and Thompson time after time.

I can't wait until Tatum is back and Walker isn't on a minutes restriction.  At full strength, the Cs are a better team than the Sixers right now.

Officials absolutely let Embiid just run guys over all night and rewarded him with every single touch as a foul, even when he initiated all the contact.

Hard to win when the opponent gets to shoot almost 3 times as many free throws and Embiid is allowed to just lower his shoulder through Theis and Thompson time after time.

I can't wait until Tatum is back and Walker isn't on a minutes restriction.  At full strength, the Cs are a better team than the Sixers right now.
we will get to see. Smart miled his fair share too, so i will be one to say the refs were helpful for both. the way Joel does play, he will draw fouls.

and yeah Tatum and Walker at full strength will be formidable, but hopefully by then the Sixers will have a healthy Seth Curry by then too and we will get to see a fun game. Was such a shame when he got injured and came down with Covid, the Sixers really looked like they were clicking to start the season

Embiid has to be so frustrating to cover. he does flop and embellish from time to time, but he also just physically dominates 85% of the league. Theis is still complaining to the refs a few minutes after the game ends
He specifically got hosed multiple times on phantom fouls when all he did was hold a legal guarding position.  It was bad in the 3rd quarter.  The 4th I was fine with the way they called the game, but about 3-4 times in the 3rd I was wondering what the Celtics defenders did wrong on Embiids fouls 

Don't  hate. Appreciate 

He specifically got hosed multiple times on phantom fouls when all he did was hold a legal guarding position.  It was bad in the 3rd quarter.  The 4th I was fine with the way they called the game, but about 3-4 times in the 3rd I was wondering what the Celtics defenders did wrong on Embiids fouls 
yeah, there isn't any way to argue that Embiid does know how to work the refs a bit. But this is the present day NBA, stars get calls all the time. I was dissapointed with the 2 offensive fouls they called on Ben when he drove to the net, but i guess he hasn't earned his yet to get those calls

Friday will be interesting when the C's and 6ers go again. I don't think Embiid will get 21 FT attempts again, so they will need to be clicking somewhere else on the floor

i do think big difference tonight though was Sixers cleaned up finally and didn't get a ton of turnovers. 

yeah, there isn't any way to argue that Embiid does know how to work the refs a bit. But this is the present day NBA, stars get calls all the time. I was dissapointed with the 2 offensive fouls they called on Ben when he drove to the net, but i guess he hasn't earned his yet to get those calls
The first one (called for a flailing arm) was weak.  I thought the 2nd was a good call.

The Celtics make alot of lucky 3s.   But not lying it feels good to get a win vs anybody, esp the evil green

Who is the guy doing the Rockets/Suns broadcast from inside a tin can on a flip phone?  The audio is atrocious.  C'mon ESPN, this is a national broadcast!

I miss the old days of big time defensive teams.....I also dont like how you need 2-3 superstars in order to have a chance....rooting for a team without stars for a long time it stinks to know you have no shot....
Despite the media narrative, you don't really need 2-3 superstars to have a chance. Raptors won just a couple years ago. Heat just made the finals. Sure both teams had young talent on the ascendancy, but neither put together a super team to get there.

Despite the media narrative, you don't really need 2-3 superstars to have a chance. Raptors won just a couple years ago. Heat just made the finals. Sure both teams had young talent on the ascendancy, but neither put together a super team to get there.
Good post.  '04 Pistons had zero superstars.  '11 Mavs had one.  Raptors had one.  It is more difficult but not impossible to win without multiple superstars.

So tonight is probably the most I've ever watched Kaminsky play in the NBA.  He constantly looks like a damned albatross trying to take off.

Not sure he fits well with what the Suns have going.

So tonight is probably the most I've ever watched Kaminsky play in the NBA.  He constantly looks like a damned albatross trying to take off.

I thought his college teammate Sam Dekker would have been the one to stick in the league with a long Matt Harpring type of career. 

Who is the guy doing the Rockets/Suns broadcast from inside a tin can on a flip phone?  The audio is atrocious.  C'mon ESPN, this is a national broadcast!
I gave it about 5 minutes and had to turn it off.  Sounded terrible and all I could focus on.

I gave it about 5 minutes and had to turn it off.  Sounded terrible and all I could focus on.
Same.  Fortunately, it was also broadcast on Fox SW down here so I was able to catch some of the game.  You didn't miss much.   Without Wall, the Rockets are a tough group to watch and they really miss Harden's spacing.  

:lmao:  I love it

Looking at the stats, so far Frank has his highest usage and lowest true shooting/efficiency this season. Probably not what you want from a Center that doesn't defend very well.

It'd be nice of Lou Williams can get his shooting back on track. The Clipper bench could use some extra punch.

Got a bit of an old school chuckle watching the Knicks and Warriors game. Midway through the 1st period Kelly Oubre got fouled and went to the free throw line. Walt Frazier was verbally amazed with Oubre's body and pauses. I'm thinking that he's probably going to state something about his physic as a wing player, but he then starts commenting on how tatted up he was and resembles a human billboard. Oh the good old days LOL!!!

Craig_MiamiFL said:
Cavs expected to trade or release Kevin Porter Jr after an outburst in the locker room last week according to the Athletic. 
@wojespn

The Houston Rockets are acquiring Cleveland's Kevin Porter Jr., for a future protected second-round pick, source tells ESPN

Knicks handily beat the Warriors. 

Boy would it have been fun to watch Melo there in GS feeding Curry and Klay (assuming he makes it back) as they head into their middle 30s. Wiseman may be a solid NBA big in time but Melo is franchise changing box office attraction that makes everyone around him better. 

@wojespn

The Houston Rockets are acquiring Cleveland's Kevin Porter Jr., for a future protected second-round pick, source tells ESPN
I can only imagine how excited John Wall and Cousins are. Maybe that is Fertitta's plan for both of them to demand trades and just see if he can get the lowest payroll in the league

So, just because I felt like doing it, here are my completely subjective, gut feeling NBA power rankings:

True Contenders:

• #1 - LA Lakers - LeBron looks as amazing as ever and Davis is the best 2-way second banana since Pippen.  Add in a few upgrades from last year in Schroeder, Gasol and Harrell and this is clearly the team to beat.  Barring an injury to LeBron or Davis, I don't see anyone beating them in a 7 game series.
  • #2 - LA Clippers - I still think they are the next best thing simply because of Kawhi and PG13.  I really haven't gotten to see them play much this year yet, but they are known commodities (with Beverly & Williams).  Losing Harrell hurts, but Ibaka is an upgrade and Morris & Kennard are good role players.
  • #3 - Brooklyn Nets - They haven't gotten it figured out yet and have a big hole inside after losing Allen, but they have the best 1-3 in the league.  Can they pull it together this year is the only question.  Without an injury to Durant or Harden, I don't see them losing in the East.
The Nearly Theres:

• #4 Milwaukee Bucks - I thought Holiday would have made more of a difference by now, but he hasn't been acclimated as well as he needs to be for them to jump up into the next tier.  There is still time, but since the Bucks seemed to struggle with adapting and making adjustments, I don't know if it will happen this year.  They will probably end up the 1 seed 'cause Giannis, but I see another playoff fizzle out at some point.
  • #5 Denver Nuggets - I have a serious man crush on Jokic so I may have them higher than they should be (especially based on their defense), but they have something no one else has in an MVP level Point-Center and a great number 2 guy in Murray.  They are missing a consistent third scorer and their defense has suffered after losing Grant in free agency.  I think they have a punchers chance against anyone though, including the Lakers.
  • #6 Utah Jazz - I'm probably higher on them than most, but this team has a lot going for it.  Mitchell has blossomed into a D-Wade type talent and Conley and Gobert are top 30 players.  They have defense, scoring and rebounding with a lot of good role players and are one of the most well rounded teams in the league.  I like Snyder as a coach and think they have been extremely motivated since giving up that 3-1 lead to Denver in the bubble.  They will go as far as Mitchell can carry them.  Shaq and Barkley challenged Mitchell last night and I think he will respond well and learn from their critiques.
The Longshots:

• #7 Boston Celtics - (No bias here.  None at all.)  They have yet to play at full strength and I think they are already better than the team that played in the bubble.  Tatum and Brown have both taken steps forward, Walker is getting back to his all-NBA form and Thompson/Theis/RWilliams is an adequate post rotation that was lacking there last year.  Marcus Smart & Teague are consistent vets and the young guys in GWilliams and Pritchard will throw in some effective minutes from time to time.  There defense has been lacking, but in Brad we trust.
  • #8 Philadelphia 76ers - Can Doc get the most out of Simmons?  Can Harris be an effective 2nd scoring option on a consistent basis?  Will Embiid stay healthy and motivated?  If they can answer yes to one or two of those, they have a decent chance to contend for the Eastern Conference title.  As of right now, the answer to all of them is no and if that doesn't change, they will lose in the Conference Semis.
  • #9 Phoenix Suns - If they were in the East, I'd like their chances a lot better, but I just don't see how they beat any of the 4 teams above them in the playoffs.  CP3 adds a great bit of leadership and organization to a super talented tandem of Booker and Ayton.  They also have a nice complement of role players.  They are fun to watch and I'll be rooting for them to make a run in the playoffs.
  • #10 Miami Heat - They aren't playing like it right now, but the team that made the Finals in the bubble is still somewhere in there.  They need a healthy and motivated Butler and Adebayo pushing them along and they just haven't had that yet.  It is still early and all of the pieces are still in place so I can see them pushing Brooklyn in a deep playoff series by the end of the year.
The Honorable Mentions:

• #11 Dallas Mavericks - Luka alone is great.  But Luka alone isn't enough to win even 2 playoff series in the West.  A hobbled Porzingis is a start, but a healthy Porzingis and another top tier player will be needed to make them a legit contender.  I trust Cuban will get it figured out sooner rather than later, but just not this year.
  • #12 Indiana Pacers - They are one of the most well rounded teams in the league and I think Sabonis is a legit perennial All-Star.  However, they don't have a go-to scorer but simply a group of tremendous role players.  Unfortunately, role players won't typically win you multiple playoff series.
  • #13 Portland Trail Blazers - Lillard is the superstar, McCollum is a great second scoring option (but now has a broken foot) and Nurkic is an above average big man.  Unfortunately their defense is still atrocious even after adding Covington and DJones Jr. and their offense isn't unstoppable when it relies on 2 jumpshooters.  Good but not great team.  They are a Draymond Green type player away from being great and those type of guys are rare and nowhere on their current roster.
  • #14 Golden State Warriors - Curry is great, Green still can be and Wiseman will be something plus Wiggins is actually learning something.  But without Thompson, they are missing too much on both ends of the floor to do anything of substance in the playoffs.  Next year I expect them to jump up 2 tiers with a healthy Klay and another year of development under Wiseman.
The remaining playoff teams with zero chance I think will be:

• In the West - San Antonio Spurs.
  • In the East - Atlanta Hawks & the Orlando Magic.

• #1 - LA Lakers - LeBron looks as amazing as ever and Davis is the best 2-way second banana since Pippen.  Add in a few upgrades from last year in Schroeder, Gasol and Harrell and this is clearly the team to beat.  Barring an injury to LeBron or Davis, I don't see anyone beating them in a 7 game series.
  • #2 - LA Clippers - I still think they are the next best thing simply because of Kawhi and PG13.  I really haven't gotten to see them play much this year yet, but they are known commodities (with Beverly & Williams).  Losing Harrell hurts, but Ibaka is an upgrade and Morris & Kennard are good role players.
Kentavious has been hitting 3's at a silly rate this year. Even if he drops 10% on his 3pters he's still the perimeter difference maker that will lead LAL to back to back chips.

Nic Batum is back to his old self. He's been money from corner 3's.

Knicks handily beat the Warriors. 

Boy would it have been fun to watch Melo there in GS feeding Curry and Klay (assuming he makes it back) as they head into their middle 30s. Wiseman may be a solid NBA big in time but Melo is franchise changing box office attraction that makes everyone around him better. 
the warriors were ghastly.  they couldn’t shoot, had no idea how to deal with noel and robinson protecting the rim and seemed way too small.  oubre has been brutal all season, he just seems off.

Well it seems complaining about refs is still the best way to get calls for a team. Smart complains the other night that Embiid flops, and this game Embiid and Ben are in foul trouble early and most of the game. 

will be a battle, thankfully Seth is back so the Sixers have some bodies. 

man i would love to know how much of Jalen Brown's play is because this was how good Brown always was, and how much of it is due to Brad Stevens' development. I think at this point Brown is more valuable than Tatum

Man i hope Soduko in the Tub is ok. Have to think his gambling accounts have taken a hit a bit fading the Sixers

ETA: on a game note, i hope the Ben we saw in the 4th Q is here to stay. Looked like the old Ben, and he finally didn't look passive. 

man i would love to know how much of Jalen Brown's play is because this was how good Brown always was, and how much of it is due to Brad Stevens' development. I think at this point Brown is more valuable than Tatum
They are 1a and 1b.  Tatum is a little better still, but the gap is very narrow.

Man i hope Soduko in the Tub is ok. Have to think his gambling accounts have taken a hit a bit fading the Sixers

ETA: on a game note, i hope the Ben we saw in the 4th Q is here to stay. Looked like the old Ben, and he finally didn't look passive. 
That was the best I've seen Simmons play this season.

In an opposite note, Smart killed the Cs tonight.  He was awful on offense and didn't stand out on defense. He's trying to do too much and is struggling at everything.  Brown was the lone bright spot plust 8-mile got hurt.  This has been a rough week for Boston.

That was the best I've seen Simmons play this season.

In an opposite note, Smart killed the Cs tonight.  He was awful on offense and didn't stand out on defense. He's trying to do too much and is struggling at everything.  Brown was the lone bright spot plust 8-mile got hurt.  This has been a rough week for Boston.
it will be interesting to see how the team goes. They need depth, but also need an upgrade at the 5. Not sure what their answer will be, the last few drafts (outside of Pritchard, which i never would have guessed would have been the one to stand out) haven't really produced much at all

Users who are viewing this thread